Start by marking “Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)

Midnight Flit

(The Carstairs Affairs #2)

Miles Siward and Briers Allerdale return for another thrilling Jazz Age adventure.

“Silk stockings on expenses.”

Miles’s aristocratic mother has information of importance to the British Government and he must escort her home from Bucharest immediately, but their plans go violently awry and Miles and Lady Siward find themselves on a train to Belgrade - where Miles’s lover is
Published March 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Flit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Flit

Start your review of Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)
K.J. Charles
Briers and Miles (and Millie) are back! I loved Eleventh Hour, a late 20s John Buchan styled spy romp with hard bitten spy Briers meeting pint sized cipher clerk Miles, cross dressing as Millie for work and, once he lets go, personal satisfaction.

In this instalment we're a few years on. Miles's diplomat father is in Eastern Europe, his mother has discovered some important secret information, and Miles must accompany her on a flight home. Needless to say things don't go to plan, leading to
Cadiva
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant. This is everything I want in a historical novel. It draws you into the time period perfectly, bringing a real sense of the start of the madness leading up to the Second World War.

Here we're only just into the 1930s but there're enough tensions for a modern reader to see where this time period is eventually going and Elin lays it all down with a deft touch.

I cannot wax lyrical enough about how much I love Millie Carstairs, the alter ego of cypher clerk Miles Siward, and here
Kaje Harper
This was a wonderful sequel, bringing back Miles and Briers in a new adventure. Miles's mother is in Romania with her ambassador husband when she comes into possession of a piece of information that is a very hot potato indeed. Agents of other countries may want her silence or her information, and she needs to be whisked out of danger back to England. Who better to do the job than her son, whose talents extend beyond his file clerk routine?

But when Miles arrives, extracting his mother turns out
Bev
Well worth the 3 year wait Elin .

Miles...or should I say Millie, and Briers return in another rip-roaring adventure, this time set in the Balkans area of Europe and featuring an extremely frightening ride on the Orient Express as well as murders, shootings, American film stars and double agents. Miles mum, Emily, was a superb character as was Diana. Not that impressed by Smethwick I have to say but given what had happened to him in 1915, I did cut him some slack. Loved catching up with Pritchard
Anna Butler
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great things happen on steam trains. Murders, stolen diamonds, revolutions, spies… there’s a long-standing British literary and cinema tradition featuring moody shots (filmed in black and white, natch) of a locomotive venting steam at night against a faint halo of light from a distant lamp in some johnny-foreigner-sort of Belle-Epoque railway station where agents of a foreign power lurk in the shadows threatening the beautiful heroine and handsome, clean-cut hero. Think Richard Hannay fleeing ...more
Julie Bozza
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another rollicking adventure, with lots to love - and that's no surprise, with this storyteller, and particularly with these characters! Elin Gregory writes the secret intelligence service so well that I am convinced it was thus, or should have been. Excellent stuff.
WhatAStrangeDuck
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable sequel to Eleventh Hour. Highly recommended!
Alison
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful spy romp. I loved it! I adored the first book and this one is just as awesome. Miles and Briers are fantastic characters, and I loved seeing how their relationship has developed. I was also quite pleased to see the enigmatic Falk return, as he was one of my favourites from the first book. This book felt so cinematic and it's very vivid visually. It really conjured the spirit of a thriller movie from the 1930s. This was a really excellent adventure. Dare I hope there will be another ...more
Tess
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The continuation of Miles and Briers' romance was a fun romp! Really enjoyed the Eastern European setting which we don't see enough in historical m/m. A third book was definitely set up here ... but, let's hope she doesn't make us wait too long!
Sally Malcolm
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this adventure through 1930s Eastern Europe, with Miles and Briers (and Millie!).

The follow up to the wonderful 'Eleventh Hour', this is a real romantic romp that sees our protagonists fighting off enemy agents on a wild dash across Europe--and coming to some conclusions about their own relationship, too.

The book ends with a hint of more, so I'm crossing my fingers for book three!
Aussie54
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another lovely look at Miles’ and Briers’ adventures. Once again, I really liked Miles/Millie in this outing. Tough as nails, but showing a loving caring relationship with his mother. Lady Siward is another feisty lady, and I enjoyed her interaction with Briers.

The love between Miles and Briers is refreshing. It's obvious that they care for each other deeply, but they're not above poking at each other, which is realistic and fun to read.
Jess
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Selina
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection.
Helen Kord
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a beautiful, joyous read. I loved returning to this world, with it's tangible atmosphere and sense of place, of spy shenanigans and glamorous voyages, with actors and musicians and spies and diplomats. A fun romp with some real bite.
Returning to Briars, Miles and Millie was so wonderful. We see how their relationship developed over the years, and the yearning and love they share. I just kept thinking how tender it was. When Briars thinks Miles died, his anguish was palpable and in
Iona Sharma
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I really, really wanted to like this book more - it has a lot of good stuff in it that I did like a lot! Lots of funny lines, sparkling character notes, a really star turn from Lady Siward, who is Miles Siward's incorrigible diplomat mother and worth the price of admission. But a few other things let it down. The structure is loose enough to be unsatisfying - at one point I was just wondering if things were happening in random order as they occurred to the author - and I respect that not ...more
R
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, reviewed, m-m
Briers and Miles/Millie are off on another adventure. This time its to rescue Miles mother. She has important information that the British government desperately wants. Millie is once again pressed into service as Briers wife. The danger follows them all the way home.

This book had a movie serial feel. Characters jumping off the page, good guys, bad guys, villains (who in my book are the worst kind of bad guys). Heroes, heroines, (which makes Miles/Millie just a little more of both). Knowing that
Vendela
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stellar spy romp.
Tori
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019

Lovely follow up to the Eleventh Hour. It was great to see Miles and Briers again, even as the spectre of WW2 hangs even more menacingly.

I loved seeing their relationship develop, and I look forward to seeing more (it seems that this will be a series, and I couldn't be more pleased!)

Would have liked a bit more sex given all the teasing!! but completely understandable they were a bit busy doing their jobs and all ;)
Alicia
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much fun. Miles's mother has heard state secrets in the course of her duties as Ambassador's wife and needs Milly, Briars and a snowballing cast of characters to get her back to London to report.
Blaine
Loved it :) Some great female characters, one of whom almost shone brighter than Millie ;)
Quick paced with compelling characters, Millie being a bright star among them.
Spitz
Apr 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: historical
Now who was the murdered person in Miles's clothes at the beginning? And who murdered him, and why? I must have missed a major plot point.
R E
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfectly realized, thoroughly captivating novel of spycraft and m/m love between the Wars

This novel is so good I had to force myself to slow down near the end because I didn't want to leave Briers and Miles and the rest of their world. Ms. Gregory, please let there be more novels in this series coming!

I can't say enough about this perfectly realized, thoroughly captivating book but I'll try....

The dialogue is snappy, stylish, entertaining, informative, and thoroughly believable. It's
Heather
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miles Siward and Briers Allerdale return and what a follow-up story Midnight Flit is! Superb storytelling from the get-go. A few years have passed moving this second entry in The Carstairs Affairs series into the 1930s and though the pair are not able to be together 24/7 it's pretty obvious they spend whatever time they can with each other but the story begins with them apart. When Miles' mother has vital information that puts her in danger and a need to return to London, Miles goes to escort ...more
Amy Mills
Very enjoyable sequel. Nice seeing how Miles and Briers have continued on from Eleventh Hour. What's supposed to be a straightforward extraction turns into a series of disasters, culminating in a curtailed Orient Express jaunt. I'm amused that (view spoiler) got them out of the penultimate jam (naturally there was still a complication left when they made it to England).

Two minor complaints: The first is that we never learn who, exactly, has
Pernilla
I loved this return to Briers and Miles/Millie, and the story was incredibly atmospheric -- I really felt transported to early 1930s Europe. Gregory takes no shortcuts with her historical facts; nothing feels out of place. The side characters are wonderful and vivid personalities, especially Miles's mother, who is such a great character.

The plot seemed a bit thin, and the story of the complicated flight across the European continent was more lovely and sweet and enjoyable than suspenseful and
K
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This 2nd adventure for Brier and Miles begins with Miles back at his desk in London and Brier in Eastern Europe. When a young mathematician is found dead it's Miles mother, the wife of the Romanian ambassador that realises she knows something of importance. Miles is sent to escort her him for debriefing which sets off a chain of explosive events as they try and return to London.

Teaming up again as Brian and Millie Carstairs, and assisted by old friends and new, they travel across Europe only to
Sasha Ambroz
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the adventures of Miles Siward linguist extraordinaire with a working alter ego of Millie and brute spy Briers Allerdale. This time they have to save Miles' mother from assassins and travel from Belgrade to London by Oriental Express.
It is cosy, I don't have another word for this book. Millie makes me wanna cuddle her and feed her cookies. I still don't like Briers as much as I should. He is still disrespectful and asserting towards Miles, but he is learning. Probably.
Elizabeth H.
The best book experience for me? When I slow down my reading because I really don't want the book to end! That's what reading Midnight Flit was like for me. I wish there had been a bit more steam, but then again I appreciate that the author didn't shoehorn some in when the plotline clearly did not support it. It was refreshing to see Miles/Millie again, this time clearly grown in all ways, especially in confidence. I detect a set up for a sequel and I want to be first in line to read it when it ...more
River Benson
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mar-19
I would read a zillion books about these characters, and was OVERJOYED when I saw there would be a second one. (This is the second one.) I would read Eleventh Hour before this, and not just because it’s one of my favorite books (I long for it to be available on audio so I could reread any time I wanted and not just when I have time to sit and read). It would really help to know how Miles and Briers got here.

The plot is not the heavy hitter here, but it holds its own as a background for one of
Robin Barletta
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect sequel to Eleventh Hour. Miles's mother has discovered some sensitive information that agents are willing to kill for, and Briers and Miles find themselves on a cross country steam train adventure, with Miles disguised as his alter ego Millie, escorting her back to England. A really atmospheric, fun spy adventure with a lot of action and a sweet romance. I hope there will be more books in this series!

• Proper English
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • Sword Dance
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Footsteps in the Dark
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)

The Carstairs Affairs (2 books)
  • Eleventh Hour (The Carstairs Affairs, #1)
“Miles sounded irritated, which meant, Briers knew from experience, that he was hugely relieved and had been scared, and would soon need a very complete and lengthy cuddle.” 0 likes
“Practical education," Falk said with an admiring shake of his head. "Every girl needs to know how to organise a dinner party, make a souffle, pick a lock, load a gun and make a rope out of bed sheets. Just the basics really.” 0 likes