Start by marking “An Unacceptable Offer” as Want to Read:
An Unacceptable Offer

An Unacceptable Offer

Jane Matthews has been secretly in love with the charming, very handsome Viscount Fairfax for a long time—since well before his marriage, in fact. Now he is widowed and, after a suitable mourning period, is back in London in search of a new wife and a mother for his two infant daughters. He chooses Jane, whom he finds likable and quiet and sensible and surely the ideal cho ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Class Ebook Editions, Ltd. (first published May 3rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about An Unacceptable Offer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unacceptable Offer

Rane
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After long searches for this book for so long it was well worth it in the end to have my own copy!

Mary Balogh did a wonderful job of making her characters like onions, as you read you start to peel away another layer that makes you understand them more.

I really adored Jane and can feel for her, unlike others females jumping at the chance to marry big with or without love, Jane is level-headed and gives each man who ask her hand in marraige deep thought, weighting in her mind her options befor
Linda
This is a romance from the Mary Balogh that I know and love. It is one of her earlier stories from 1988.

~~~~~
Miss Jane Matthews was 23 years old and bordered on spinsterhood. At first sight, people thought 'she was not beautiful'. She knew this herself; she was plain, as in a Plain Jane. But she was upbeat and helpful and kind.

Gorgeously handsome Michael Templeton, Viscount Fairfax, was in need of a wife. And he had two little daughters that needed a mother. He settled on Jane.

"Will you marry
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
A classic Mary Balogh….sweet, simple and slow but with certain depth and complexity. The angst is low level but ever pervasive.

The H, a handsome and much sought after (newly widowed with two daughters) viscount is made to eat some humble pie when his condescending proposal to the plain and sensible h gets turned down quite ignominiously.
He did feel like a fool. He had always believed that he was attractive to most women. To be refused by a less-than-beautiful one was a blow to his esteem.
..But
Sruthi
WOW. I mean WOWWWWW ! I seriously regret leaving this on my TBR shelf for so long.
Was not expecting the twist, and the second half of the book is utterly delightful and splendid ! Blurb was rather misleading, okay, I am not gonna ignore the MB books with mediocre rating anymore.
Julz
Leona
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency
I absolutely loved it. The story was complex and tension filled without being maudlin or OTT. The heroine and hero were complex and the secondary characters added to the flow and movement.

A delightful surprise. Definitely, a hidden gem.
Linda Rice
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shortly into the book, I developed a strong dislike for one of the characters, vain and shallow Honor. I almost skipped to the end, which I NEVER do, because I felt so sorry for Jane and her unrequited love for Michael. But I just couldn't put the book down when I got further into it and began to feel hopeful for plain Jane. A wonderful story, wonderful characters and the typical happily ever after ending.
Christine
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, own-it
The summary is a bit misleading. Nothing is ever as simple as back covers lead you to believe, unfortunately, so expect a bit more twist. Overall, this was a cute, easy read.
Ceki
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently on Mary Balogh run since I'm a huge fan of her writing, I think she perfectly blends the historical accuracy and romance/sex thus making it interesting, realistic and romantic. I do not love all her books plot-wise but I haven't been disappointed by her writing yet.

However, since she's been around for awhile she's also got quite a few bodice rippers in her bibliography from the 80s and 90s and bodice rippers are not really my cup of tea (read: I hate them) but I won't stop until I
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
So adorable. Definitely the best of her early romances thus far.
Crystal
This is the reason why I consider Mary Balogh as such an amazing writer. She has brought in the love between Michael and Jane so very well. The back cover was misleading and it hinted at a usual romance and chase, but it was never that.

Jane may have been unassuming, but as the book progressed she grew in character. She reminded me of Jane Eyre when she refused Michael asking to be chosen not for what she could bring to the relationship, but because of herself. She wants to be needed for herself
Jackie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A 1988 Balogh published as a Signet Regency romance, republished in ebook form in 2019.

Five years ago, during her first London season, Jane Matthews developed a strong infatuation with Michael Templeton, Viscount Fairfax. But Fairfax wooed and wed a far prettier woman, and Jane returned to Yorkshire determined to get over her crush. Five years later, both are back in London, Jane to accompany her younger cousin as she makes her social debut, Fairfax to get over his depression over losing his fir
Tanya Sridhar
The premise of the book interests me so much.

I hope it's as good as it sounds.
Leah
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise. Thought the story would be very typical, boy meets girl, boy makes proposal to girl, she accepts then has to deal with the consequences of for acceptance. But there was actually a curve ball in the story. Really enjoyed it that it was not so obvious.
Caz
Really liked it. I've said before that I'm not normally a fan of the inclusion of children in romance novels (and it's not because I don't like kids - I have two of my own!), but if done well, as here, then I can put that aside and enjoy the story regardless. I liked the central characters - Jane is sensible without being dull and although Fairfax starts out as being rather too sure of himself, he very soon realises the error of his ways. He's by no means unpleasant in any case; just a tad arrog ...more
M.A. Nichols
Hmmm...this book is one that I really enjoyed, but I think I enjoyed it mainly because I identified so thoroughly with the heroine and the first half of the book. I wouldn't say the writing is particularly good and I saw most of the plot coming from the beginning, but I felt so deeply for the hero and heroine's relationship.

In reality, I think I enjoyed the first half better than the second half. The first half was a solid 4-star book for me, because I felt so connected to the story. But in the
Virginia Tican
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quiet and unassuming Jane Matthews saw Michael Templeton, Viscount Fairfax at her come~out 5 years ago, and promptly fell in love or what a young girl's version of love might be, by adoring him from afar since he did not really know her and was courting the reigning belle and married Susan at the end of that Season. Now, Lord Fairfax is a widower with two daughters and is in need of a wife and a mother for his children. As he had enough of beauty without character, had nothing in common with his ...more
Lisa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, as I sniff back tears over Mary Balogh’s child characters and poignant romances, I wonder if my emotions are being ruthlessly manipulated. Then I grab a tissue, shrug, and turn to the next page. Because her novels are so enjoyable. ‘Unacceptable Offer’ tugs at the heart strings with motherless children and a heroine who is not as pretty as her cousin.

Jane Matthews is almost on the shelf having turned down respectable marriage offers because of a crush on Viscount Fairfax. The handsome
Alejandra
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!
“I am a person,” she said very quietly and intensely. “I am Jane Matthews, my lord. There is only one of me. I am unique. To you I may appear to be no different from hundreds of other drab, aging females. But I am a person, not a commodity, not a footstool. Perhaps you do need a woman to look after your home and your children and to provide you with an heir. Perhaps I would contribute to your comfort. But what about me? What am I to gain from such an arrangement? I am not a servant for hire.
Peg Hughes
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story

Mary Balogh writes wonderful stories.She writes about pompous ,upright emotionally illiterate men who mature and develop into better people. This is an early example but a lovely second chance romance with an unusually lovely portrait of children and a loving father.
Deborah  Cleaves
What happens when one regrets refusing an offer? Or regrets a premature acceptance of another offer? All ends well if there are enough people with a vested and selfish interest in putting things right.
Jennifer Fner
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was happy birthday to me!❤

You know, this whole trope -- I love him so much but he doesn't love me so I can't be with him -- this never, ever occurred to me until I started reading romance novels. Is it really a thing?

Kruemi
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very grateful that I could read this book on my Kindle. I would have never bought a paperback with this cover.
Jiyoung
I skipped most of the parts.
It’s not like writing was bad or something.
Just, all story focused on marriage and it was not my thing.
Maureen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
kind of a beach-read version of "Pride and Prejudice"
David Richey
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Search for Love

Balogh has done it again with this twisted tale of people seeking love. A lovely read with twists and turn s
Astra Astrid
I have to admit that, while I do like some old style Balogh, the newer books are closer to my heart. So, it's not that this was a mediocre read, it just isn't a favourite.
Beth Thomas
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-books
Marilyn Kavanaugh
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tangled lives

complicated by the sensibilities of two little motherless girls and the notion that best friends don’t always know what is best for each other.

• With This Ring
  • Tallie's Knight
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • Regency Christmas Wishes
  • Fallen Angel
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Lord of Secrets
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more