Start by marking “The Wages of Sin: Sex and Disease, Past and Present” as Want to Read:
The Wages of Sin: Sex and Disease, Past and Present

The Wages of Sin: Sex and Disease, Past and Present

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Near the end of the century, a new and terrifying disease arrives suddenly from a distant continent. Infecting people through sex, it storms from country to country, defying all drugs and medical knowledge. The deadly disease provokes widespread fear and recrimination; medical authorities call the epidemic "the just rewards of unbridled lust"; a religious leader warns that ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wages of Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wages of Sin

Julia
Dec 09, 2007 rated it liked it
This was one of those books I picked up while I was out of town just because I wanted something to read. I wasn't sure what to expect, but a historical review of the ravages of syphilis, the plague, HIV, and other infectious diseases in regard to religion and government sounded very interesting. Turns out, the book was written by a gay man who lived through and lost many friends to AIDS in the 1980's. Though he was not a scientist, his observations of the way in which religious and government in ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
Peter Lewis Allen, AM'79, PhD'94
Author

From our pages (Oct/00): "By tracing the idea that sickness is a result of sin—whether syphilis in the 1490s or AIDS today—Allen chronicles how ancient views on sex and sin continue to shape contemporary religious life, medical practices, and individual habits."
Lauren
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant description of a "behind the scenes" look at how society has shaped our views on medical issues. I usually pawn off non-fictional work as a bore, but this is an almost gripping narrative that drips with historical goodies and stories your history teacher never shared with you.
Amy Prenskas
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the most astonishing book I have ever picked up.
I love material that gets the brain juices flowing, and this is the book to do it.
It will make you shake your head & sigh out-loud as you read.
Leah
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It may be a text book but it's sooo interesting. There is a chart inside that cracks me up. It's the history of how sex and disease occurred and how religious beliefs felt about it.
Judy
Aug 01, 2012 added it
interesting. cause to consider the motives of public awareness campaigns.
Luaunna
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
an interesting read, about the way in which disease was dealt with in a previous time
Cristina