Start by marking “The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical, #1)

The Doctor's Secret

(Copper Point Medical #1)

The brilliant but brooding new doctor encounters Copper Point's sunny nurse-next-door... and nothing can stand in the way of this romance.

Dr. Hong-Wei Wu has come to Copper Point, Wisconsin, after the pressures of a high-powered residency burned him out of his career before he started. Ashamed of letting his family down after all they’ve done for him, he plans to live a qu
Published April 23rd 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor's Secret

Start your review of The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Let's begin with Aaron Yan, who, according to Simon, looks a lot like Hong-Wei:

Can we just agree that Aaron Yan is ridiculously gorgeous?

Also, rumor has it that he's very gay. So is Dr. Wu: gorgeous AND gay.

Hong-Wei Wu goes by Jack, but Simon calls him Hong-Wei. Simon is obsessed with Asian pop culture: K-pop, Asian dramas, handsome Taiwanese actors.

Hong-Wei being Taiwanese is just the icing on an already decadent cake for Simon, although he is mildly disappointed to find out Hong-Wei is
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I love, love, love Heidi Cullinan, and I enjoyed The Doctor's Secret a lot, but it didn't quite hook me like some of her other books have in the past.

I had to read The Doctor's Secret for many reasons. First of all, I was extremely excited about a hot Asian doctor MC. Plus, I haven't read many hospital romances (because I get super irritated when authors get medical facts wrong), and I knew Heidi would be able to nail the details. I was totally right on that front.

I really, really
Wendy
3,5

When I saw that Heidi Cullinan was releasing a brand spanking new series I jumped on it. She is after all the author of my "all-time favorite Carry The Ocean , and let's not forget "hot as balls Dirty Laundry . All the reasons for me to give this one a go ;)

because reasons gif - Google zoeken

Now as much as I enjoyed reading this story, it didn't blow me away like "Carry the Ocean" did. I don't think anything ever will, so I am just gonna accept this fact. What I did love about this
Ky
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I read the blurb for this book it sounded like a story I would enjoy. Once I started reading though it became apparent that I was wrong about this one.

There was nothing specific that bothered me, I think it had more to do with the way the story was told than anything else. Me and this book didn't fit well together. It's as simple as than.

The main characters are both employees at a hospital in a small city. Simon has lived his whole life in Copper Point, leaving only to study but always wit
Dia
3 stars

This is the first book in the Copper Point Medical series by Heidi Cullinan.

I haven't read many books by this author, but Carry the Ocean won my heart!
When I found out we're going to get a new series by this author I was over the moon. I am a big fan of doctors TV series, Grey's Anatomy, House M.D. to name my favorites. So imagine my excitement when I saw this amazing cover and knowing we're going to get a Taiwanese doctor, Hong-Wei Wu falling for an "outgoing, kind, and attractive s
Cadiva
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
So many positive things to say about this new series from Heidi Cullinan, it's ridiculously romantic, totally sweet, has a wonderfully detailed setting and fabulous secondary characters as well as multi-cultural representation.

My only 'negative' and its a minor one at that, is that on occasion it felt like the political awareness elements which Heidi is so good at incorporating into her stories were just dropped in like being hit over the head with a frying pan.

Her stories usually gently educat
Christelle
I always think about Heidi Cullinan as a “versatile” author of MM romance : I’ve already read several of her books, and each time, they have a different flavour and trope, but with the commonality of a writing style to my liking.

As the blurb says, it’s a contemporary romance set up in a small city in Wisconcin where Hong-Wei , of Taiwanese origin, a burned-out but nonetheless brilliant doctor encounters Simon, a sunny male nurse, fan of K-pop music and Asian shows. As the saying goes, opposites
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
DNF @ 25%

Even Iggy Toma sounded bored.

No chemistry, nothing new here, more political preaching, more weird fetishization of Asian culture. And music in ORs is totally normal. Plus, it's just creepy to get jealous over a guy's friends - FRIENDS - when you've only known said guy a week and you're not even dating. And the "no dating between co-workers" thing to desperately try to drum up some drama in this no-pulse DOA story is pretty thin as far as plot devices go.
Lost in a Book
BR with Adam

2.5 Stars

Ermm… *checks author name*

Heidi Cullinan wrote this?

I was all ready to play doctor when I cracked this open but the sugary fluff was wafting off the page very early on.

sugar.gif

My past reads with Cullinan have raked my emotions over the coals while chasing it down with tissues and a bottle of wine. This wasn’t that experience at all. I’m all about branching out but The Doctor’s Secret left me wanting more substance while trying to come down from a sugar high.

Dr. Hong-Wei Wu moves to
Sahitya
More of a 3.5.

Has a little instalove but I loved the two main characters and their chemistry. The friendships and family dynamics are also very realistically portrayed. And the hospital work environment and the drama gave me total Grey’s Anatomy vibes 😂😂😂

It’s so rare seeing an Asian immigrant main character that I was pleasantly surprised when I realized it and I loved the way the author managed to write sensitively about his heritage, his relationship with his parents and his birth country and
Erth
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A okay book and a first narration for me for Iggy. A full of feelings "at times" as Hong-wai's secrets start unravelling. The forbidden feeling vs hospital policies their love would be true or die in the closet. As I listened to this I found myself skimming with the long bits drawn out storyline. This started out okay and I had a high expectations from the blurb but sadly didn't meet them, I love the author other works but a pass on this hmm. The narrator does an okay job with voices.
Dr Hong-wai
Adam
Tag team review with Lost in a Book!

Dr. Hong-Wei Wu, or Jack, moves to a small-town Wisconsin hospital to escape the pressures of a demanding family and an exhausting city hospital residency. He questions his decision to move, but the one-man welcoming party goes a long way in making Hong-Wei feel better.

Surgical nurse Simon Lane wasn’t expecting the new doctor to be his living wet dream. Simon’s immediately smitten.

But the hospital’s policy against inter-staff relationships throws cold water on
Claude
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I don't know if it's because it's my first book since many months (really busy working hard to be able to have the specialty of my choice 😅) but this book was not for me I think.

The beginning was really good. Hong-Wei (Jack) is my favorite character of this. I really liked him! He's a surgeon who just left a big career in a big city for a new start in a really really small city. He left everything behind, especially his family. He wants to find his "true" self. Adorable.

Simon is the surgical nu
Jewel
3.5 Stars

Doctor's Secret is sweet and romantic -- maybe a touch too sweet for my current personal tastes, but I was rooting for our MC's the whole way, anyway.

Hong-Wei's family moved to the US from Taiwan when he was 10 and his parents and grandparents worked so hard to make sure Hong Wei and his sister had the best opportunities. Hong Wei feels a tremendous amount of pressure to succeed, he was at the top of his class in medical school and the best in his residency program, but he feels like he
BWT (Belen)
I really enjoyed this!

The dual third-person POV works so well here. I liked the relationship progression, thought the main plot worked well and flowed easily, and the supporting characters are absolutely terrific.
I would have loved to have seen Simon meet Hong-Wei's family on page, but maybe we'll get a little freebie later? (*hint, hint*)

I had only a few really small niggles...(view spoiler)
Alice
Hello, I’m here to remind everyone to please stop taking books about POC by white authors as accurate when it comes to POC experiences, oh my God.

There’s a reason I don’t trust white authors in the queer romance genre to write about QPOC at all, and it’s an opinion formed from years of reading in this genre and growing progressively wearier.

The more white authors brag about how much “research” they do, the more readers of color feel like our lives, our experiences, and our deeply personal confli
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
5 big stars 🌟
I loved everything about this book!
I read it in one shot, I couldn't put it down.
It's really amazing, and I can't wait for the next one in the series!
Super recommend.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Disappointing.

Both the book title and the MCs have come straight out of a 1970s Mills and Boon Medical Romance: it's never a good sign when one of the MCs - a nurse - is described in such stereotypical M&B terms as "cute", "demure", "nervous", "sweet". And it's not helped by the hot-shot doctor's reaction:
"You don’t have to be strong, Simon. Let me be strong for you. Let me protect you. Let me take care of you and cherish you."
I want both my MCs to have some agency, not to remind me of out-dat
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

When I saw that Heidi Cullinan was writing a new series I had high hopes and jumped on the chance to read the first book. And I was not disappointed at all. This story had engaging characters, substance, depth, an appreciation for K-pop music and Asian drama. In fact, I was so intrigued by the description of actor Aaron Yan I had to spend some time cruising Google. There was also a wonde
Karen
3.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and this was an enjoyable start to the series...full review to follow.

But does he make house calls?

When Copper Point's one and only surgical nurse Simon gets talked into picking up Dr. (Jack) Hong-Wei Wu the newest addition to the hospital's staff, the last thing he's expecting is that he's also picking up the newest complication in his life.

Simon's lived in Copper Point all his life only leaving to complete his education and then
Melissa
There isn't anything really wrong with this story, and ordinarily I would have kept listening to this, but I have so many books to read and I fell way behind when I was sick last month that I just can't keep listening to this story that is just average. Overall it's an enjoyable story and the narration TOTALLY worked for me. And yet...the connection between the MCs is very quick, their decision to be together despite it being against the rules was weird. Also, the hospital and how it is managed ...more
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars. I am looking forward to the next book in the series but this one was uneven.

As always Heidi Cullinan has created great characters-Hong-Wei and Simon are well drawn, complex, and lovely to watch fall in love.

However, while Hong-Wei's coming into his role in the hospital is engaging, the drama around keeping their dating on the down low and the hospital policy makes little confused and muddled. It doesn't really ever make sense and a more relationship based plot.

Their connections with
Joyfully Jay
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Heidi Cullinan’s new novel, The Doctor’s Secret, marks the beginning of a new series as well. Set in a small town, the author not only unpacks a host of interesting and dynamic side characters, but gives us a wealth of information on both the town where Simon grew up and the country from which Hong-Wei immigrated at the age of ten. In many ways, the story was well-rounded, giving us a realistic setting with a plethora of people who played a role in keeping the hos
Fabi
I am shocked at how much I loved this story. I especially loved Jack (no, I could never correctly pronounce his Taiwanese name). He is such an inspiring character.

I did not, however, love Simon. What a whiny baby. Ugh!

I'd originally passed on this book. Then it showed up on Audible Escapes and I gave it a try. I'm happy to say it has great narration. I almost missed out on a terrific story. I even liked the supporting characters enough to want to continue the series.

4.5 stars!
BWT (Belen)

I LOVED listening to this!

The dual third-person POV works so well, the themes of found family, Asian culture, and the progression of Simon and Hong-Wei's relationship is on point...everything just works so well and flows so easily, and is so beautifully performed by Iggy Toma, that I just absolutely loved this. Strong character voices, a great pace, his timing on fire, Toma infuses his performance with humor and passion.

I loved it, would absolutely recommend listening to it, and will definitely
Tizerkane
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ooooooooooo an Asian doctor and a male nurse *waggles eyebrows and grins* :-D ... YUMMMY!!! My ONLY issue is: WHAT DO YOU MEAN APRIL 2019?!!? Ummm you realize that's 5 months from now, right?!!? *Huffs and pouts* :-/!! Me wants!!!

Also, HOLY BATMAN, the model who portrays Dr. Hong-Wei Wu on the cover is friggin' STUNNING!! And I mean STUNNING <333!!! I'm going to have to DM Heidi and ask her who the guy is, because PERFECT choice :-D!!!

I HAVE to have this book and also, I ALREADY [yup, ALREADY; i
Chris
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-contemporary
This was sweet and Heidis love of Asian pop culture really shon in this book. It was low angst, predictable and romantic. Simon fell in love with Hong Wei almost as they met. He was instantly attracted, little did he know it was reciprocated. Hong Wei was escaping the big city, his family and his perceived views. After spending time in Copper Point, making friends and finding his love he learned his worth and found his happy.
Bibliophile
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically like Heidi's books, so I came into this book prepared to like it--which I did. I liked the characters, the story line, and even the setting. I especially liked Hong Wei's personality--his intensity, his slow and steady advances, and his sweet heart. This is a fun series to start and I look forward to the next one once it comes out!
Ay
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF 47%.

I am a died in the wool Cullinan fan, but this one really really really missed the mark.

The settings were wrong for me. I’m a bit Toey about a surgeon getting all flirty with his surgical nurse quickly after meeting him. This wasn’t written so I was sucked in.

The medical stuff....no. Medical staff in hospitals are not that fuckin’ ignorant. I knew more than this lot, and I’m not in the medical profession.

Playing music in operating theatres has been a thing for decades.

I hate the trope of
Eleeze
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet, low angst listen.-
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts, #1)
  • Arctic Wild (Frozen Hearts #2)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • Warm Heart (Search and Rescue, #1)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • String Boys
  • Fake Dating the Prince
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Arctic Heat (Frozen Hearts, #3)
  • Redesigning Landry Bishop (Stars from Peril #2)
  • Home Improvement
  • Rebound (Pucks & Rainbows, #1)
  • Upside Down
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
  • Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)
Heidi Cullinan has always enjoyed a good love story, provided it has a happy ending. Proud to be from the first Midwestern state with full marriage equality, Heidi is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights. She writes positive-outcome romances for LGBT characters struggling against insurmountable odds because she believes there’s no such thing as too much happy ever after. When Heidi isn't writing, she ...more

Copper Point Medical (3 books)
  • The Doctor's Date (Copper Point Medical #2)
  • The Doctor's Orders (Copper Point Medical #3)

News & Interviews

“Nobody wants to be a bad person. Nobody’s trying to be evil. Everybody making you bleed is either bleeding themselves as well, or they think they’re stopping someone else from doing the same. Even when they speak out of hate, underneath it is fear.” 0 likes