Start by marking “The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse” as Want to Read:
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse

The Sunday Times Bestseller and New York Times Bestseller.

'You will not be able to buy a more beautiful book for Christmas for somebody you love' Chris Evans

A book of hope for uncertain times.

Enter the world of Charlie's four unlikely friends, discover their story and their most important life lessons.

The conversations of the boy, the mole, the fox and the horse have be/>A/>'You/>
Published October 10th 2019 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse, please sign up.
Madhattervet Definitely! We have this for my son who is 6, but it honestly transcends any age group. You will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

Start your review of The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
Jessica
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this book for free as part of an Instagram tour (TLC Book Tours specifically) I did to promote the book.

This book was absolutely amazing! I loved everything about it.

The story is very simple but very profound. There are lots of little pieces of wisdom sprinkled throughout that really hit me hard. For example, this was one of my favorite passages:

“Sometimes I feel lost,” said the boy.
“Me too,” said the mole, “but we love you and love brings you home.” ...more
Trish
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review will be a little different. Because there really is no way to sum up this gorgeous book that I discovered thanks to a Waterstones ad on Twitter. The blurp already tells you all you need to know about the story so I'm just here to show you a few of my favourite pages that will simultaneously give you an impression of the art and the message behind it.

A true work of art with a wonderful message. The art style is not something I thought would be for me but it turned out to be rather wonderful and I enjoyed it tremendously.
Caroline Middleton
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will treasure this book always. The mix of ink and watercolour illustrations, and the ramshackle calligraphy, is beautiful in itself. But Mackesy has created characters that speak kindness so simply and beautifully, it is like poetry but (somehow?) more powerful. Some of my favourite moments:
“I wonder if there is a school of unlearning?”
“Sometimes I worry you’ll all realise I’m ordinary,” said the boy. “Love doesn’t need you to be extraordinary,” said the mole.
“Is your glass half empty
Mahi
Oct 05, 2019 added it
I received an early copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book was like a cup of hot tea in the cold days of winter.
like a blanket this book hugged me and protected me from the cold world.
I would like a physical copy and I would recommend this to everyone.
( the font was a bit hard to read at first.)
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book breathes kindness and acceptance and hope - and made my heart ache in all the best ways. I want to give a copy to everyone I know. From the introduction to the book: "I hope this book encourages you, perhaps, to live courageously with more kindness for yourself and for others. And to ask for help when you need it - which is always a brave thing to do. When I was making the book I often wondered, who on earth am I to be doing this? But as the horse is: "the truth ...more
Kate
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought due to a rapturous recommendation from my work colleague, but I am so thankful for this gentle and loving book. Definitely one I will turn to for kindness and solace during difficult times.

The simplicity of the illustrations suit the deep emotion and vulnerability expressed on each page. Each quote is motivational and life affirming - life is remarkable, your true friends love you for who you are, and you are enough.
Tom Mooney
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lovely illustrations but the words are cringe-worthy. It reads like a shit celebrity's enigmatic Twitter posts. All faux-wisdom that isn't even close to being as deep as it thinks it is.
Kathryn
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, favourites
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Kind", said the boy.
Katie
This book is delightful. It features a series of pen and watercolour drawings about the friendship between a boy, a mole, a fox, and a horse, and is about the journey they take together.

The story features all sorts of little epigrams about kindness and friendship, what the important things in life are, and the importance of self care. I have seen reviews comparing this to Winnie the Pooh, and that comparison isn't unwarranted, but I think Mackesy's messages are even simpler, but also
Carolyn Stover
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so stingy with 5 star ratings but this book deserved at least 5 stars. An inspiring tale of hope compassion and love. As an exclusive e reader I surprised myself by immediately purchasing this for myself, my mom and a friend. Everyone needs this in their library and their life ❤❤❤ ...more
Nick Swarbrick
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Sometimes I feel lost,” said the boy. Friendship explored through a flowing calligraphy, illustrations strongly reminiscent of E H Shepard, and multiple repeats of ideas that might cloy on an inspirational poster but in the course of this gentle, half-explained journey are engaging and illustrate a slow movement of ideas as a mole and a boy meet a fox and a horse. “Everyone is just trying to get home,” observes the mole, and here, at least, love and a hug are just the thing.
Fern Adams
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a book this is! I adored it. Got to the end first read round and had to go back to page one to read again and three readings straight through later I’ve put it down long enough to review. This is in many ways a simple book and yet it really isn’t. Exquisite art work, profound words and I really don’t know who this wouldn’t be suitable for. Slightly disappointed with myself for having been organised this year and already done my Christmas shopping as otherwise everyone would be getting ...more
Imaan Tamimi
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-najm, own
I might or might not have shed tears while reading this. It's so cute and heart-warming.
Pop Bop
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Calm, Kind, and Comforting

This book has been described as a "fable", but that isn't quite right, mostly because there is no actual plot or narrative. It is an illustrated collection of thoughts, aphorisms, and very brief vignettes. (Actually, vignette is exactly the right word, since it is a collection of brief, evocative descriptions or episodes, but is also a collection of "small illustrations which fade into the background without a definite border", which I was surprised to learn
Christie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A lovely, hopeful book recommended to me by my nan-in-law! I genuinely enjoyed both the quietly insightful messages and the beautiful hand drawn images <3
Rachel Buckley
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow
Mike
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Think Christopher Robin and Pooh, today, with beautiful drawings, timeless wisdom, laughing, sighing, crying (happily), loving and being loved. Imagine a few moments or far less than an hour to realign, reawaken, reimagine you and your world as enlightened by the simple reflections of a boy, a mole, a fox and a horse. Bring light to your day and your life. This will be the top gift I give this Christmas. I can't imagine a better way to wrap up Joy and send it to my friends and loved ones. Specia ...more
Malvina
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly tender. You feel loved reading this book.

'What do you want to be when you grow up?'
'Kind,' said the boy.
Angela Groom
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book, so full of Love.

The conversations between a boy, a mole, a fox and a horse shown in illustrations and beautiful calligraphy text. They are magical and perfect. The text almost melts in the picture and has a very simplistic style similar to Winnie the Pooh.
Lots of words of wisdom throughout the book that you can share with any reader, like Charlie Mackesy says from eight to eighty.

Some of my favourite parts "Asking for help isn't giving up says
Ceecee
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautiful it almost makes you want to weep. If you are looking for a thoughtful and stunning book as a present for Christmas then look no further - it’s GORGEOUS! This is a wonderful story of unlikely friendships and love which has some fantastic illustrations some of which a a bit reminiscent of E H Shepard’s Winnie the Pooh drawings.

The boy first meets the mole and he is adorable - which is something I never thought I’d say about a mole since ‘the little gentlemen in black vel
Kristin DeGarmo
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely rate books 5 stars but this book deserves it. It’s beautifully illustrated but has even more beautiful messages inside. There are many pages I had to write down the quote because it meant so much to me. I actually found this book while at the bookstore where I work and started flipping through it and came across the line “be kind to yourself.” That particular day I really needed to hear that. I bought the book after work and read it and I’m glad I did. I absolutely adore this book ...more
Peter Bellingham
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. It is beautifully illustrated, stunningly presented, and virtually every page could be taken as an encouraging, inspiring, uplifting, challenging message in itself (hence why some of the pages have been used on public displays on the London Underground). I would recommend that every primary school teacher buy a copy to read to their class; every parent, grandparent or guardian should have one to read to their children, and every adult should have one for their own enjoyment ...more
Tim Joseph
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOSH. This is an absolute must read! A story about friendship and personal discovery, it is poignant, funny, beautifully illustrated and will absolutely give you the feels!

While it's a short book (it took 15 minutes to read), I know I will be revisiting this over and over again. It's a must as a gift for readers. I literally can not say enough about it. Must read! And...

"If at first you don't succeed...

... Eat some cake."
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book that everyone should pick up and read. It's that kind of book you need to keep close in dire times. I will definitely re-read it until my heart knows the words in times of doubt.
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A quick but powerful book that I'll want to read again and again! Serious Christopher Robin and Pooh vibes with uplifting life wisdom. Beautiful illustrations and calligraphy. I want to give this to all my friends and family. Not to be missed!
Esraa Khalouf
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw some of the drawings and quotes from this book (on Pinterest) way before it was released in the UK and I just knew I'd love this book.
Nice gentle read with b lots of meaning, in a minimalistic touch which is what drew me to it in the first place.
LucyV
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2019
I am a fan. So much so that I bought 3 copies; one for myself and two for gifts. Charlie Mackesy is a social media phenomenon and I think it is what spurred him on to put this collection into one place, a book, for us to enjoy. Kindness, love, acceptance and friendship - what more do we need? Oh yes, cake.

The illustrations and the messages create a calmness, some with such simplicity they are inexplicably beautiful. I say "simplicity" with the highest regard - I can't do it. This is a book for
Milena Jarouv
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking to gift your best friend something, let it be this book.
Isabella
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book, it is a work of art and goodness.
Angela
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a gorgeous book. The words and sentiments are inspirational and the hand drawn images and calligraphy are incredibly beautiful. I want to buy this book for everyone I know. It’s a little bit of magic to hold close when the storm clouds come rolling in ❤ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • Crossroads of Canopy (Titan's Forest, #1)
  • The Floating Feldmans
  • On Cussing: Bad Words and Creative Cursing
  • Tales from Behind the Window
  • Bury the Lede
  • Birdsong
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • Creative Quest
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Penelope
  • The Reformed Vampire Support Group
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • ナミヤ雑貨店の奇蹟
  • Just Breathe
Charlie Macksey was born during a snowy winter in Northumberland. He has been a cartoonist for The Spectator and a book illustrator for Oxford University Press. He has collaborated with Richard Curtis for Comic Relief, and Nelson Mandela on a lithograph project, ‘The Unity Series.’ Collectors of Mackesy’s works include Elizabeth Gilbert, Whoopi Goldberg, Roger Waters, Richard Curtis, The Murdoch F ...more
“What do you want to be when you grow up?

Kind, said the boy.”
2 likes
“What do you think is the biggest waste of time?
Comparing yourself to others, said the mole.”
1 likes