Start by marking “The Crowning: Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Crowning: Book 1

The Crowning: Book 1

An heir to the magically gifted Kingdom of Aleria must be chosen. The shape-shifting Prince Alexander is favored to claim the title. The fire-wielding sisters, Princess Anastasia and Princess Alecia, feel one of them will take the crown. However, the eldest potential heir, Princess Agnes has other plans. The current ruler of Alearia, Queen Amealiana, a gifted sage and seer ...more
Published February 28th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Crowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crowning

Sheila Goicea
See this full review along with others on my blog at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks so much, Nattie!

description
”Magic is the happiness that we create when we give ourselves permission to follow our dreams.”

Content Warning: Death, Murder, Attempted Rape.

description

The Crowning: Book 1 is the first installment in a three-book series. Siblings of the royal family of Alearia, bestowed with magical powers, must compete with one another
Tara Brooke
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited when I got this book before the release date. The chance to support and read a Perth author had me squealing. Being from Perth myself, a huge reader and someone who dabbles in writing, I felt like I needed to support Nat. And boy am I glad I did.

I’ll be the first to say this might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But it was definitely mine. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and the characters. I loved the idea behind the Kingdom of Alearia and that the next heir wasn’t the oldest
Jem
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent the ebook ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this one, it is a debut novel by an Australian author. I loved the premise of the story and I didnt feel like I was reading a similar story to anything I have read previously.
I liked the idea of it not necessarily being the eldest Princess who is the heir to the throne and it has an interesting take on deciding who it will be.

I loved the characters in the book, especially Annie and the Queen. I lik
Tahnaya
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this gorgeous book as an ARC and loved every bit!!! There is betrayal, magic, death and so much more! I recommend this book to people who are fans of royal betrayal and magic! It wasn’t like any book I have read in the past. The idea of competing for the throne was a definite win for me. Annie was such a lovable character and her and Lilianna’s relationship was one of my favourite things about the book. Definitely worth reading! I can’t wait for book 2!!! I love Queen Amealiana and I ...more
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Kingdom of Aleria, only one may be crowned heir.

Queen Amealiana has four children, each possessing their own magical gift. There's her shape-shifting son, Alexander, fire wielders Alecia and Anastasia, and Agnes, who possesses a weak prophetic ability. Upon Anastasia's sixteenth birthday, the prince and princesses must begin a competition in which they must showcase their abilities and leadership skills, the winner will be named heir to the throne of Aleria.

However, what the siblings do
Meylia Savitri
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I received the ARC of The Crowning from the author herself, thanks Nattie!The story was about the Kingdom of Alearia which people are gifted by various magical skills. That year, soon after the youngest princess’ 16 birthday, the Kingdom have to choose one of the royal children to become the future King/Queen. But of course, rivalry and betrayals are following this competition between the prince and the princesses. So who’s gonna win? And who’s gonna draw the situation into chaos?I love the ...more
Letty Dóra
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Crowning" is the first book by Nattie Kate Mason.
(I am so glad you sent me your book🧡)

This story is about the Kingdom of Alearia which people are gifted by magical skills. The story gets interesting from the very beginning. The Kingdom have to choose one of the royal children to become the Queen - King.
But who is gonna win? Who will rule the Kingdom of Alearia? And at what price?
A story full of interesting parts and unexpected turns to get the crown.

I recommend this amazing book to everyo
Asiya Ali
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was everything I hoped for! The writing style was so beautifully written and all the characters had strong storylines. I love the quick jumping between perspectives and how fast paced the story was. I recommend this book to fans of fantasy books that centre around royals with powers. A lot of action and betrayals, not a moment of boredom whilst reading this!
Jade Duxbury
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely nothing like I have read before! It was such a beautiful story. The characters are so loveable and you get attached so easily! The writing style was brilliant. The different perspectives is something I definitely loved as a lot of books don’t usually have more than two perspectives, so it was different and good to read multiple point of views in the book. The ending as well leaves you wanting more! I am so excited for book 2!!
Brooke
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved The Crowning!
Not my typical genre but Natties style has made me open my eyes to the world of fantasy, cannot wait for part 2!
Karin Aston
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a wonderful story fantasy story set in the Kingdom of Aleria where ascension to the throne is determined by which potential heir will best serve the people. There’s royal intrigue, sibling rivalry, murder, magic and mind control all wrapped up in an exciting, well written tale which will hold you enthralled from start to finish. A great read which I highly recommend!
Kendra Pope
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Crowning Book 1 By: Nattie Kate Mason

*SPOILERS*

Being a first time author is never easy. Putting your heart and soul into your writing craft and then tossing it out into the wild sea of critics and reviewers is a testament of bravery and vulnerability. So, let’s dig in and talk about The Crowning.

Honestly one of my favorite chapters is the prologue. This medieval tale begins with so many questions that I can’t wait to see answered. From there on the plot flows well, creating a nice-to-read
MJ
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I’m not sure this book was really my cup of tea. I like my books to have some form of romance in them (a couple that I can be rooting for that will play at my heartstrings) even if it’s just in the background. But because there wasn’t any in this book, I just couldn’t get into it. It seemed to be passing by so slowly for me.

Another thing I noticed was that it was quite repetitive. I’m not sure if the fact that the book was written in the third person point of view helped that or not,
Chloe Szentpeteri
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Kingdom of Aleria— a magical world of wonder brought to life through the trials and tribulations of its royal family. In this book you’ll find love, kindness, betrayal, death, and the ultimate sacrifice. Mason developed strong characters and relationships, allowing you to delve into the minds of each and every one. One of the most lovely things is the moral compassing showcased in this book. Very heroic (or not so much ;) for some characters) The idea behind unique magical properties being g ...more
Ruby Sims
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I wanted to forgo everyday life to finish a book, but The Crowning was that book! I am eagerly awaiting the next two books!

Nattie was able to allow me to immerse myself into the Kingdoms she created, while keeping me on a rollarcoaster of emotion & surprise. Just when you think you know what will happen, the plot takes a twist. What a skill she has!

Nattie's ability to capture human nature with her words invited us to get to know & understand each of the char
Cora E. Jane
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nattie creates an intriguing fantasy world where the heir to the throne isn't chosen by ascension, but by which sibling will serve the people best. The tension and conflict this creates amongst the characters is heightened by the powers they all possess, and how these powers are used for good or bad.

There's fire-wielding, mind-control, and people who can see into the future. That, and the Game of Thrones feel made it a must-read for me.

I loved the focus on mental health and felt especially conne
L.M.R. Clarke
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A Great Story

I really wanted to give this story 4 stars. It's a 4 star storyline. I enjoyed the worldbuilding, the characters, the magic system. All great. What brings it down is the proofreading. There are quite a lot of comma and apostrophe errors. If you can get past that or don't care, buy this book. There's a lot of great stuff in here.
Bookishclassic
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
2/5

I found the magic system very interesting, however I wanted it to be more developed. I think maybe this book is more suitable for a younger audience especially if you enjoy books like the selection series.
Nevertheless, it is a debut novel and there will be a sequel so I believe the author will extend the world further there.
Ursula Visser
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Nattie has written a story about Queen who has to make a difficult decision. It will change so many lives.
I liked the fact that the characters have gifts, and what it means to them to have them.
Nattie does not shy away from giving her characters some challenges, which makes them do things that cannot be undone.

Jacinta Hogan
Mar 24, 2019
Joel Mason
Feb 24, 2019
Open Books And Turn Pages
rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2019
Ciara
Mar 10, 2019
Gina
Mar 11, 2019
“Magic is the happiness that we create when we give ourselves permission to follow our dreams.” 1 likes