Start by marking “The Crowning: Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Crowning: Book 1

The Crowning: Book 1

(The Crowning #1)

An heir to the magically gifted Kingdom of Aleria must be chosen. The shape-shifting Prince Alexander is favored to claim the title. The fire-wielding sisters, Princess Anastasia and Princess Alecia, feel one of them will take the crown. However, the eldest potential heir, Princess Agnes has other plans. The current ruler of Alearia, Queen Amealiana, a gifted sage and seer ...more
Published February 28th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Crowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crowning

Start your review of The Crowning: Book 1
Sheila Goicea
See this full review along with others on my blog at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks so much, Nattie!

description
”Magic is the happiness that we create when we give ourselves permission to follow our dreams.”

Content Warning: Death, Murder, Attempted Rape.

description

The Crowning: Book 1 is the first installment in a three-book series. Siblings of the royal family of Alearia, bestowed with magical powers, must compete with one anothe
The Nerd Daily
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Suya Chry

Why should you read The Crowning?
Magic? Check.
Sibling rivalry? Check.
Fight for the throne? Check.
Anonymous evil growing in the castle? Check.

‘Magic is the happiness that we create when we give ourselves permission to follow our dreams’.

In this magical debut by the indie author Nattie Kate Mason, the enchanting kingdom of Alearia awaits its next ruler. The royal prince and princesses, weak prophetic Agnes, the shape-shifting Alexander, and
Tara Brooke
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited when I got this book before the release date. The chance to support and read a Perth author had me squealing. Being from Perth myself, a huge reader and someone who dabbles in writing, I felt like I needed to support Nat. And boy am I glad I did.

I’ll be the first to say this might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But it was definitely mine. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and the characters. I loved the idea behind the Kingdom of Alearia and that the next heir wasn’t the oldest
Jem
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent the ebook ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this one, it is a debut novel by an Australian author. I loved the premise of the story and I didnt feel like I was reading a similar story to anything I have read previously.
I liked the idea of it not necessarily being the eldest Princess who is the heir to the throne and it has an interesting take on deciding who it will be.

I loved the characters in the book, especially Annie and the Queen. I lik
Tahnaya
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this gorgeous book as an ARC and loved every bit!!! There is betrayal, magic, death and so much more! I recommend this book to people who are fans of royal betrayal and magic! It wasn’t like any book I have read in the past. The idea of competing for the throne was a definite win for me. Annie was such a lovable character and her and Lilianna’s relationship was one of my favourite things about the book. Definitely worth reading! I can’t wait for book 2!!! I love Queen Amealiana and I ...more
Asiya Ali
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was everything I hoped for! The writing style was so beautifully written and all the characters had strong storylines. I love the quick jumping between perspectives and how fast paced the story was. I recommend this book to fans of fantasy books that centre around royals with powers. A lot of action and betrayals, not a moment of boredom whilst reading this!
Meylia (booksandtheblacktea)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I received the ARC of The Crowning from the author herself, thanks Nattie!

The story was about the Kingdom of Alearia which people are gifted by various magical skills. That year, soon after the youngest princess’ 16 birthday, the Kingdom have to choose one of the royal children to become the future King/Queen. But of course, rivalry and betrayals are following this competition between the prince and the princesses. So who’s gonna win? And who’s gonna draw the situation into chaos?

I love ...more
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Kingdom of Aleria, only one may be crowned heir.

Queen Amealiana has four children, each possessing their own magical gift. There's her shape-shifting son, Alexander, fire wielders Alecia and Anastasia, and Agnes, who possesses a weak prophetic ability. Upon Anastasia's sixteenth birthday, the prince and princesses must begin a competition in which they must showcase their abilities and leadership skills, the winner will be named heir to the throne of Aleria.

However, what the siblings do
Jet
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to receive a signed copy of this beautiful book from the author herself!
Being Perth based & a small business operator, I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to read, review and support a local author.

This book broke a 2 month reading drought that I was in the middle of.

The storyline is engaging, interesting and it's easy to read.
A fast paced story line offering the right amount of emotional investment into the world and characters Nattie has created.

I loved every moment of
Letty Dóra
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Crowning" is the first book by Nattie Kate Mason.
(I am so glad you sent me your book🧡)

This story is about the Kingdom of Alearia which people are gifted by magical skills. The story gets interesting from the very beginning. The Kingdom have to choose one of the royal children to become the Queen - King.
But who is gonna win? Who will rule the Kingdom of Alearia? And at what price?
A story full of interesting parts and unexpected turns to get the crown.

I recommend this amazing book to everyo
Denai Piscopo
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done Nattie. What a great read for your first book and leaving us a little teaser making me anticipate Book 2.
I loved all the characters, especially Annie and their bonds and relationships together. Definitely a book that I am waiting for the sequel.
Like another reviewer stated I would have loved more details about the worlds and lands so you could picture it all. And for me personally there was a little too much of the characters inner monologues/talking to themselves.
But overall I real
Bookedoutx
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! So much love for this book.
If you are fan of royalty, add this one to your list!
I haven’t ever read anything similar to this which made me enjoy it even more!
It’s fast paced, and writing is absolutely beautiful, and shows several different perspectives.
A definite highlight was the characters! I felt they were so easy to fall in love with and get attached.
Can’t wait to get my hands on book 2
Jade
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely nothing like I have read before! It was such a beautiful story. The characters are so loveable and you get attached so easily! The writing style was brilliant. The different perspectives is something I definitely loved as a lot of books don’t usually have more than two perspectives, so it was different and good to read multiple point of views in the book. The ending as well leaves you wanting more! I am so excited for book 2!!
Brooke
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved The Crowning!
Not my typical genre but Natties style has made me open my eyes to the world of fantasy, cannot wait for part 2!
Abbie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Makes me want to move to Alearia and discover my own gift. I loved the characters. I cant even find the words to describe how amazing this book is.
Karin Aston
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a wonderful story fantasy story set in the Kingdom of Aleria where ascension to the throne is determined by which potential heir will best serve the people. There’s royal intrigue, sibling rivalry, murder, magic and mind control all wrapped up in an exciting, well written tale which will hold you enthralled from start to finish. A great read which I highly recommend!
Kendra Pope (Spellbound.books26)
The Crowning Book 1 By: Nattie Kate Mason

*SPOILERS*

Being a first time author is never easy. Putting your heart and soul into your writing craft and then tossing it out into the wild sea of critics and reviewers is a testament of bravery and vulnerability. So, let’s dig in and talk about The Crowning.

Honestly one of my favorite chapters is the prologue. This medieval tale begins with so many questions that I can’t wait to see answered. From there on the plot flows well, creating a nice-to-read
Lauren Marie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
‘The Crowning’ is from the multiple POVs of the female royalty (the Queen and her Princesses) of Alearia. As the crowning, which are challenges that will determine who the successor of the kingdom will be, nears, the royals must also deal with their people lossing their gift under mysterious circumstances.

Unfortunately, this book didn’t hold my interest. The plot idea and concept itself were intriguing, however clumsily executed. The dialogue missed the mark of ‘Queen’s English’ or posh speak an
Maha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I’m not sure this book was really my cup of tea. I like my books to have some form of romance in them (a couple that I can be rooting for that will play at my heartstrings) even if it’s just in the background. But because there wasn’t any in this book, I just couldn’t get into it. It seemed to be passing by so slowly for me.

Another thing I noticed was that it was quite repetitive. I’m not sure if the fact that the book was written in the third person point of view helped that or not,
Laura Trenham
I loved how this book had no romance. I’m so over fantasies being focused on romance. But I had so many issues with it unfortunately.

I’m aware it’s a debut hence I’m giving it three stars but I really struggled with the writing style. It’s very literal and there is no sense of characters developing. The author states everything that is happening without actually showing how it does, as someone mentioned in another review, she says the king and queen love each other but this is not shown. There
Chloe Szentpeteri
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Kingdom of Aleria— a magical world of wonder brought to life through the trials and tribulations of its royal family. In this book you’ll find love, kindness, betrayal, death, and the ultimate sacrifice. Mason developed strong characters and relationships, allowing you to delve into the minds of each and every one. One of the most lovely things is the moral compassing showcased in this book. Very heroic (or not so much ;) for some characters) The idea behind unique magical properties being g ...more
Laney
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book.

The setting and characters weren't over explained, but there was still enough detail that I was able to vividly picture everything in my head. At times I felt like I was watching a movie! The story progressed incredibly fast, and I really appreciated that there weren't any tedious backstories. We got to know the characters and their stories organically throughout the book.

I especially enjoyed how different all the characters were. Each was presented a
Clare
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
💫💫💫💫

Nattie Kate Mason’s first book in her debut The Crowning sets a magical world that grabs you from page one.

I really love prologues in books, especially when they help to give you a sense of what the characters are going to go up against and the prologue in this book does just that! (And also gives you the feels). The aspect I enjoyed the most about this book, is that way that Nattie highlights the bond between family and her representation of anxiety.

This book is very female based, women sup
Alysha King
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmm, not sure how to go about this one. Let's go good points/bad points, shall we?

First of all, good points...

The world building was good, as was the magic system. The idea that magic has a price was what brought the tension, and I liked that people had different types of magical skills.

I liked the idea of the potential heirs competing for the crown rather than the usual first-born, first-in-line, and I was looking forward to how that played out.

Not-so-great points...

The narrative felt rushed
Ruby Sims
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I wanted to forgo everyday life to finish a book, but The Crowning was that book! I am eagerly awaiting the next two books!

Nattie was able to allow me to immerse myself into the Kingdoms she created, while keeping me on a rollarcoaster of emotion & surprise. Just when you think you know what will happen, the plot takes a twist. What a skill she has!

Nattie's ability to capture human nature with her words invited us to get to know & understand each of the characters.
chelseaslibrary
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma Damgård
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nattie creates an intriguing fantasy world where the heir to the throne isn't chosen by ascension, but by which sibling will serve the people best. The tension and conflict this creates amongst the characters is heightened by the powers they all possess, and how these powers are used for good or bad.

There's fire-wielding, mind-control, and people who can see into the future. That, and the Game of Thrones feel made it a must-read for me.

I loved the focus on mental health and felt especially conne
Bonnie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of scheming princesses, interesting and varied magic, and a healthy dose of family drama, this book may be for you! I enjoyed how Nattie differentiated the various siblings and their personalities - no easy feat given all their names start with A. The villain was particularly sympathetic and I could easily understand how and why she turned to evil. I also enjoyed final contest between the sisters. These things are usually pretty obvious, but I honestly had no idea who was going t ...more
Naomi Mason
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I got my copy of The Crowning!

Nattie makes the book an easy read, but with twists and turns that keep you on your toes! The change of view point from character to character is really well done, and in some books can be hard to follow but Nattie has done a great job!

I liked that she shows a realness to characters struggles with mental health and some of the complexities that come with having to deal with those issues.

I can’t wait for book 2 to come out!!
Ursula Visser
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Nattie has written a story about Queen who has to make a difficult decision. It will change so many lives.
I liked the fact that the characters have gifts, and what it means to them to have them.
Nattie does not shy away from giving her characters some challenges, which makes them do things that cannot be undone.

• A Storm of Silver and Ash (The Oncoming Storm, #1)
  • Vengeance Blooms (Guardians of the Grove #1)
  • A Storm of Shadows and Pearls (The Oncoming Storm, #2)
  • Retribution Dies (Guardians of the Grove, #2)
  • Belle Révolte
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • The Erasure Initiative
  • The Gravity of Us
  • The Lost Soul Atlas
  • Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • The Dilemma
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • The Innocent
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Dragon's Heart (The Rose Chronicles #2)

The Crowning (3 books)
  • A Queen's Fate: The Crowning: Book 2
  • Heart of a Crown: Book 3 of The Crowning series

News & Interviews

“Magic is the happiness that we create when we give ourselves permission to follow our dreams.” 2 likes