Start by marking “The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)

The Bodies in the Library

(First Edition Library Mystery #1)

Hayley Burke's fresh start as the curator of The First Edition Society's library in Bath, England, is about to take a rotten turn in this charming new mystery series from USA Today bestselling author Marty Wingate.

Hayley Burke has landed a dream job. She is the new curator of Lady Georgiana Fowling's First Edition library. The library is kept at Middlebank House, a
Published October 8th 2019 by Berkley/Penguin Random House (first published October 2019)

Start your review of The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bodies in the Library is first in the new First Edition Library Mystery series from Marty Wingate. It’s set in Bath, England, one of my favorite places on earth, and it’s a cozy involving books. What could be better?

Hayley has landed her dream job as the curator of the First Edition library located in a swoon-worthy Georgian home. Hayley aims to modernize the library, but she is met with resistance. Someone ends up murdered in the library (of course!), and Hayley must find the killer to
Book of Secrets°ღ
3.5 Stars Hayley Burke is the new curator of The First Edition Society, a library dedicated to first editions from the Golden Age of Mysteries. How she got the job, I’m not sure, because she’s never read a mystery, which made me laugh. It’s a sweet position she doesn’t want to lose, but when a member of an Agatha Christie fanfic group is murdered at the library, Hayley’s future there is threatened — she allowed them in, after all.

I loved the setting of Bath, England, and the gorgeous Georgian
Darinda
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book in a new cozy mystery series by Marty Wingate. The First Edition Library Mystery series features Hayley Burke, the new curator at Lady Georgiana Fowling's First Edition library in Bath, England. The library is a mystery lovers dream, containing many Golden Age mysteries. Hayley is attempting to modernize the library, but she's hiding the fact that she doesn't know diddly about the mystery genre.

The cast of characters is quirky and relatable. Hayley is a likable protagonist -
Tucker
Jun 01, 2019 marked it as arcs-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Berkley Publishing Group

Many thanks to Berkley for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

First the first time, I am actually looking forward to a rainy day because I can just curl up and read this.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
Betty
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read most of Marty Wingate's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. This is one is no different. It is the first book in a new series, the First Edition Library series and full of funny scenes and quirky characters which brought smiles and amusement as I read. I personally like that it is set in Bath where many of Victorian romances take place. Of course there, is a cat, Bunter, tortoiseshell cat and a nephew, who feels the estate is rightfully his. Hayley has a long-time romance.

Hayley Burke
JoAn
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The bodies in the Library by Marty Wingate was an enjoyable cozy read. Ms. Wingate's descriptive writing of Bath made me feel like I was there. The plot was smoothly paced with several quirky suspects as Hayley stumbled along trying to save her job, her home and the First Edition Library.
Kelley
ARC received courtesy of Berkley Publishing

This is the first of the cozy mysteries in the "First Edition Library Mystery" series. I do enjoy this genre every so often. I always know the mystery will be solved and everything will turn out well in the end. This new series is off to a good start.

Hayley Burke is the new curator of Lady Georgiana Fowling's First Edition Library; a job for which she's not totally qualified. The library is the home of first edition mysteries by writers of the 30's and
Lori
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hayley Burke, curator of a library devoted to the golden age of mysteries, has never read a mystery in her life. The compensation and benefit of living on the premises attract her to this dream job. Mrs. Woolgar, secretary to the library's founder Lady Georgiana Fowling, lives in the building also. Hayley tries to find ways to improve the library's visibility and invites a group of mystery writers to meet there. When a group member's body appears in the library after hours and after the group ...more
Sophia
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook Review

The title caught my attention first echoing one of Agatha Christie's best, but then I spotted the series title and the blurb. I was already disposed to fall in love with this new mystery before I ever cracked the first page. First the title, then its set in a library focused on the golden age of British mystery which is in Bath, has a library cat, a murder, and the librarian/curator has never read a mystery? Couldn't pass it up.

The Bodies in the Library started out slow, nearly
Lesa
Marty Wingate kicks off a new cozy series, The First Edition Library Mysteries, with The Bodies in the Library. To be honest, I preferred the police over the amateur sleuth, though. For a change in a debut cozy, the investigating police officers are kind and intelligent while the sleuth herself bumbles her way through the book.

Hayley Burke is not really qualified to be curator of Lady Georgiana Fowling's First Edition Library in Bath, England. She knows nothing about the Golden Age of Mystery,
Kelcy
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, arcs
Huge thanks to Goodreads and Berkley/Penguin Random House for sending me this ARC!

Overall, I really enjoyed this mystery! As someone who is just now starting to really read Agatha Christie, I could really appreciate the references in this book.

Hayley is a relatable MC - smart, funny, and is aware of her faults.

I feel like typical cozies have a good amount of light romance and mystery. This one had the romantic element, but definitely focused on the mystery itself more which definitely gave more
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The Bodies in the Library was interesting cozy murder mystery that revolved around Hayley’s job as curator of Lady Georgiana Fowling’s First Edition Society at Lady Fowling’s Middlebank House, turned into library containing vast collection of first edition books by women authors from Golden Age of Mystery. It was about fanfiction, maintaining and respecting the legacy, secrets, conflicts, and friendship.

Book was first person
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Marty Wingate’s latest novel The Bodies in the Library is the first installment in her new cozy mystery series entitled First Edition Library Mystery and boy, is it a gem of a book! Set in the wonderful city of Bath, England, The Bodies in the Library follows Hayley Blake, who is the new curator of Lady Georgiana Fowling’s First Edition library.

I, quite frankly, was sold on this cozy mystery as soon as I realized it was set in a library, but my enjoyment of the book only grew as I got to know
Yvonne
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hayley Burke is excited when she lands the position of curator of The First Edition Society’s library. The society is focused on the Golden Age of Mysteries. A subject Hayley knows less than nothing about, but she’s not going to let anyone know this - least of all the library’s secretary, Mrs. Woolgar, or the society’s board members.

Mrs. Woolgar is not happy with the changes Hayley is making. One thing is inviting an aspiring mystery writing group to meet each week. Mrs. Woolgar does not like
Nicole
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Author Marty Wingate's newest series, The First Edition Library Mysteries, is off to a great start with The Bodies in the Library. Meet Hayley Burke, who's landed her dream job as the new curator of the The First Edition Society which specializes in the novels of the women authors of the Golden Age of Mystery. Two small problems - first, Hayley is completely unfamiliar with the novels, and second, it doesn't take long until she actually finds a body in the library (cue suspenseful music!)!!! ...more
Rebecca
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Let me preface this by saying that Agatha Christie is my favorite author of all time. I will read any book that even has a hint of an Agatha Christie theme or reference. So I was understandable ecstatic to read this book, and it absolutely lived up to my expectations and more. It actually was made even better since the main character Hayley had never read AC or any of the other golden age authors. Reading about her first AC experience and the way she easily falls in love with Miss
Maia
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Hayley is a super likable and relatable protagonist, and I enjoyed her misadventures in curatorship and relationships alike. Wyn and Val added an element of humor and romance that was satisfyingly well developed, and the friendships Hayley develops over the course of the story are a great source of both touching and laugh-out-loud moments. The first 30 pages dragged a bit for me, but once the body was found (in the library, as you might have guessed), I was totally in it. I was right there ...more
Robin Tobin (On the back porch reading)
This is a fun Read. A very classic-styled mystery. I would love to have a library like this one, full of 1st addition novels.
Janet
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Hayley Burke has landed a dream job. She is the
Ruth
Marvelous. Simply marvelous.

This first in a series promises great things. You can read the blurb -- woman, new job, odd characters, murder ensues, mystery commences. What is special here is that few things grab my book-loving heart like a book about books. And even better, this is a book focused on mystery novels.

Hayley is the newly minted curator of an archive dedicated to Golden Age mysteries and yet, she hasn't read them. Not one. It seems shockingly improbable to those of us who gobble up
Nicole H.
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hmmm... what to say, what to say. Well, for starters, it was pretty good. It had a murder mystery, books galore, and a snarky, fun main character that we followed around throughout this adventure. Or, would investigation be a better word? Either way, I was entertained for four hours and thus, I can't complain. ^_^ After I finished reading, my mom stole my kindle so she could read it because she said it must be good if I was laughing so much...

Would I recommend this? Absolutely, if you're into
Kaye
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Very interesting, not entirely a cozy, but certainly not a hard boiled mystery either. The characters are well done, with more growth possible. I loved Hunter, the cat, he was precious. I definitely would like to read more of this series.

I won this book in the hopes I would review it. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN 9781984804105
Author’s website: martywingate.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Hayley Burke’s fresh start as the curator of The First Edition Society’s library in Bath, England, is about to take a rotten turn in this charming new mystery series from USA Today bestselling author Marty Wingate.

Hayley Burke has landed a dream job. She is the new curator of Lady
Kitty Jay

Hayley Burke is the new curator of the First Edition Library, founded by Lady Georgiana Fowling. Unfortunately for Hayley, she knows nothing about mysteries and feels like she might have stumbled in over her depth. The disapproving secretary, Ms. Woolgate, appears to agree. With a greedy nephew trying to take the Society away and a dead body turning up in the library, Hayley has to learn how to be a sleuthing master in order to keep her job.

The Bodies in the Library was an enjoyable
Phyllis Barlow
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always love cozies, and if they're set in England, all the better!! This had all the elements to be a light, enjoyable read!! A library, a cat, and a not too gruesome murder. Plus plenty of subtle humor sprinkled throughout.
I also loved the fact that Agatha Christie mysteries figure in this story. It's made me want to go back and reread all of them. I
It looks like this is going to be a series focusing on different writers in the Golden Age of Mysteries. Some of them I'm familiar with, some
Piepie
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
While the premise of this book is interesting enough, this book failed to hold my attention. I kept falling asleep as I read. It took a long time (at least, what I think is a long time) for the murder to happen and for the "body" to be discovered. I wasn't expecting much from this novel, though I was a little bit hopeful and optimistic, and so I'm glad I had set the bar pretty low. DNF. Sorry, Netgalley.
Amanda Katsion vadbunker
This was a solid cozy mystery and an enjoyable read. However, for me it was lacking the humor and quirky characters I like in a cozy so it felt a bit flat to me. I would recommend it if you enjoy a no nonsense mystery with good characters. With all the books on my tbr, I am not likely to continue with the series.
Regan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Not awful, but not very standout. The characters were pretty bland. The thread about her mother seemed more about boosting the word count than adding to the story. It did look like she was trying to get the requisite "love triangle" out of the way early on so readers won't have to put up with that business in the rest of the series.
Trudy Krogulski
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of cozy mysteries but I enjoyed this one. Will read more of this authors books.
Calli
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun little cozy set in Bath.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Beyond a Reasonable Stout (Sloan Krause #3)
  • Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders (A Woman of WWII Mystery #1)
  • Mumbo Gumbo Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery #16)
  • Death of a Gigolo (A Jaine Austen Mystery)
  • Death in a Budapest Butterfly (A Hungarian Tea House Mystery #1)
  • A Legacy of Murder (Kate Hamilton Mysteries, #2)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Mystery #11)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Peach Clobbered (Georgia B&B #1)
  • Silent Night, Deadly Night (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #4)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • The Time for Murder is Meow (A Purr N' Bark Pet Shop Mystery #1)
  • A Cup of Holiday Fear (A Bakeshop Mystery, #10)
  • Murder Cuts the Mustard (Beryl and Edwina Mystery, #3)
Marty Wingate is a Seattle-based mystery writer who also lectures about gardens and travel. She is the author of the Potting Shed mysteries from Random House/Alibi, about Pru Parke, middle-aged American gardener who moves to England and digs up more than weeds. Her second cozy series, Birds of a Feather, follows the adventures of Julia Lanchester, daughter of a celebrity ornithologist and manager ...more