Start by marking “The Vegetables We Eat” as Want to Read:
The Vegetables We Eat

The Vegetables We Eat

What are vegetables, anyway? Give kids the 411 on veggies with this richly illustrated introduction to produce!

Peppers, beans, corn, and peas! Nonfiction superstar Gail Gibbons lays out the basics of veggies with colorful watercolors and straightforward text. Learn how they grow, how they get to stores, and how many kinds there are--and learn some weird trivia, too!

Diagram
Published April 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetables We Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetables We Eat

Start your review of The Vegetables We Eat
Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan
Oh, I wanted to love this book. Before I started I even had people in mind to recommend it. It turns out I’m not sending official recommendations to anyone.

The good: The illustrations are wonderful. They do make the various vegetables look wonderful. I like that many show a family all preparing vegetables, and then growing/harvesting vegetables. There is some interesting information about various types of vegetables and some about growing them too.

The bad: It’s really hard to read this book. I t
Geneva Roberts
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
When I saw the cover of this book I was excited to read it but have to say I was somewhat disappointed. While there is a lot of information about vegetables and how they grow , there maybe just a little TOO much information for young children leaving them feeling overwhelmed. The illustrations are great, I did love that about the book and the information was factual. The book tells about the various types of vegetables we eat and that they are good for us and give our bodies vitamins and fuel, a ...more
Caroline Daniel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
o Summary: This book provides good idea of what children should eat in order to have a well balanced diet. It has great pictures that may make the vegetables more appealing to the young readers and simple text that appeals to young readers as well.
o Grade level: first
o Appropriate classroom use: Read in a wellness classroom
o Individual students who might benefit from reading: kids who don't have a balanced diet
o Small group use: Kids can read and pick out their favorite veggies
o Whole class use
Mary Ann
Families will appreciate this clear, accessible introduction. “Botanists group the different kinds of vegetables according to the part of the vegetable that is eaten.” Colorful watercolors show all sorts of vegetables, giving a children a sense of both the amazing variety of veggies and how they are grown.
Francesca
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
The Vegetables We Eat by Gail Gibbons
1. Awards: N/A
2. Grade Level: K - 2
3. Original Summary: This informational book categorizes over 50 kinds of vegetables, explains the growing, production, shipping, and purchasing process of those vegetables. The pages are filled with detailed labels and definitions along the way.
4. Original Review: I really enjoyed the illustrations and the clear labels, however, there is so much information within this book that it might be overwhelming for some. This
Taylor Ball
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate Grade Level: Kindergarten-2nd Grade
Summary: This text provides information on the variety of vegetables that we eat. Many vegetables grow in different ways and in different shapes, sizes, and colors. Gail Gibbons provides information on the eight groups of vegetables that are categorized by the part of the vegetable that is eaten.
Review: "The Vegetables We Eat" provides extensive information on the eight groups of vegetables. The book does an excellent job of providing labeled pictu
Ashley Hickey
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
1. This book is appropriate for Kindergarten through second grade.
2. This book is about eight different groups of vegetables. The eight groups of vegetables are leaf, bulb, flower bulb, root, tuber, stem, fruit and seed. It is an information book and can be read from any point of the book. It shows a picture of each vegetable and then describes it. It also teaches the reader how to plant vegetables and take care of them.
3. This book is great because most children are able relate to it since the
Macie Estes
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational-nf
This book is a great way for students to connect science with their personal lives. This book teaches children about the different types of vegetables, what the planting and farming process looks like, and how vegetables get to the stores that we buy them in. Rich in vocabulary, this book would be a great addition to any classroom library. It has a page of fun vegetable facts in the back of the book as well.
Abigail Cruz
I really liked the illustrations in this book and all the diagrams, and I think that kids would find them really fun to look at. However, I felt that it was pretty dry in language and it was incredibly packed with information that wasn’t organized well. Even for a kid that likes gardening and vegetables, this would still be a little much. The illustrations and thought behind this book is great, but the execution was poorly done and a kid would not be able to read through this by themselves.
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has so much good information - too much good information! It's obviously aimed at children, but there's no obvious flow to the text (words at the bottom and words in the pictures) and it's hard to follow. The pictures are great and very informative as well. This is definitely a book for kids to pour over more than a read aloud choice. ...more
Joey Trizzino
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Gibbons, with great illustrations, and diagrams writes about vegetables we eat. Children will learn all about vegetables they are eating. How they are grown and why we eat them. They will also learn about the different shapes each vegetable come in, the colors and forms. Gibbons provides a lot of great information about the healthy foods we all eat.
Caroline
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really like the first part of this book because it talks about groups of vegetables (root, stem, tubers, etc). The second part is about growing veggies and taking them to market/consumers. A bit less useful.
Catherine
This is another excellent nonfiction book from Gail Gibbons that has a place in the classroom.
AMY
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-5
32 pages. Good basic book on veggies. Great illustrations and labels. Will get kids excited about gardening. Good for reports. Highly recommended for Grades 2-5.
Amanda
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much vocabulary.
Laurie
Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: grades-2-3
Guided reading level M. Good illustrations of the different types of vegetables.
Carly Thomas
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book and I truly enjoyed the illustrations. A good read and very interesting.
Daniel
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Title: Vegetables We Eat
Author: Gail Gibbons
Publisher: Holiday House, Inc., 32 pp, 2007
Audience: Children, ages 8 to 12
Format: Juvenile nonfiction (my choice)

Description:
Gail Gibbons uses her signature combination of informative text with color illustrations and diagrams to provide detailed information about a variety of different vegetables we eat.

Personal Review:
This book does a great job of explaining why vegetables are important and how they are nutritious and help build strong bodies. It
Travis Kesinger
Personal Reaction:
This book does an excellent job at explaining what each vegetable is, why they are important, and the role they play in helping us to build strong bodies. The illustrations of this book are extremely helpful in understanding the subject matter. They bring this topic to life and help to engage students while remaining very educational. I enjoyed the illustrations, but overall the book seemed to be a lot of information for a student to take in at once. It could aid in teaching s
Maria
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. Five to eight year old's.
2. In "The Vegetables We Eat" young children are exposed to many vegetables that are illustrated through colorful inciting images. The book explains the process of how stores receive their produce. They show how the vegetables are grown and the book also explains why they are good for us.
3. I particularly enjoy Gail Gibbons information text books because the text is clear, the pictures are vivid and the message is important. This book is great for early readers becau
Shellie Hubbard
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gail Gibbons is a great author of non-fiction children's books. This is just one of her many books that provide information to children on a vast variety of topics from animals to food to seasons. This story in particular focuses on the vegetables we eat, what they are, why we should eat them, and how they are grown. I chose this book because I love my veggies, but really any of her books would be phenomenal to have on your book shelf as a teacher.

As a future teacher I would use these books in
Dawn Draper
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Did you know there are 8 different groups of vegetables? I didn't either until I read, The Vegetables We Eat, by Gail Gibbons. This eye catching book goes into great detail about each of the 8 groups of vegetables by describing how each vegetable fits into it's group, what some of the vegetables are in the group and which part of the vegetable we eat. The book then goes onto explain the farming of vegetables, how they get to local stores and other places we can buy them.
I think children could
Aimee
This book provides a fun way for students to learn where vegetables come from. There are many types of vegetables, and this book describes ways to use them.

In teaching about the different food groups students will be interested in finding out more about vegetables. This book provides information in a way that is easy for students to grasp. The vocabulary in this book will inform students about if they are eating a root, bulb, leaf, stem or seed. A long debate is whether or not tomatoes are even
Amy
Like much of Gibbon's other nonfiction for children, The Vegetables We Eat is a solid and straightforward source of information about vegetables. It kept the attention of both my three-year-old and five-year-old, by being detailed enough without overwhelming young children with obscure facts and dense text. I learned from it, too. I never before knew that we classify vegetables into eight groups: leaf, bulb, flower bud, root, tuber, stem, fruit, and seed. It was fun to discuss the vegetables our ...more
Carmen Nibali
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The Vegetables We Eat” is a fun colorful non-fiction book about vegetables. This book has information about all kind of vegetables and how they grow. This is a fun book to introduce healthy eating habits to children and why vegetables are so special for our bodies. The pages are full of fun facts and colorful vegetables. I give this book four stars for the educational information, teaching healthy eating habits, and ease to read to children. This book is intended for children ages five and up. ...more
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
My students are currently learning the difference between "How To" and "All About" books and Gail Gibbons does a greta job in helping us with that. This book informed all of us about the different types of vegetables we eat and how they are beneficial. I used this text to help my students reflect on non-fiction text features (i.e. picture glossary, labels, headings, etc). Great read and good text-to-self connections! ...more
Peacegal
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-gifts
This book is an absolute joy, just bursting with vibrant illustrations. Adults are even likely to learn something. The author presents the different types of veggies (which are classified by the edible part of the plant), while frequently reminding readers how fun it is to choose vegetables and how delicious they are. I love vegetables and hopefully this will inspire some youngsters (and their parents!) to try some new ones.
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The Vegetable We Eat uses bright color, vibrant illustrations and interesting facts to engage young readers in healthy eating habits. This stories goal is to help readers find the importance and even fun in eating healthy. I would use this book to help my students understand the importance of learning how to eat healthy and how healthy habits started young carry on to a healthier life. I would have my students list healthy food they eat how it makes them feel when they eat them.
Jen
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
nice artwork, fun detail about vegetables. I will check this back out once we start going to the farmers market. I considered giving the book 4 stars because of a whole page dedicated to soy, however, it did include plastic and other uses so I let the soymilk and tofu slide, it was not necessarily emphasized as being better than meat or something crazy of the sort!
Jennesy
This is great book for a unit on consumer goods. It answers the question: how do vegetables grow? This book gives different types of vegetables and what kinds of foods you can make with those vegetables. The book can also be used as a reference, or resource, for research on a group project. The Vegetables We Eat is a great book to fall back on for a quick lesson plan or unit.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quiet
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Vegetables in Underwear
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu