Start by marking “The Vegetables We Eat” as Want to Read:
The Vegetables We Eat

The Vegetables We Eat

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Nonfiction pro Gail Gibbons responds to the need for books on good nutrition with this accessible exploration of vegetables. Glossy red peppers; lush, leafy greens; plump, orange pumpkins; and delectable little peas: vegetables come in many shapes, colours, and forms. Using her signature combination of a clear and informative text, with plenty of illustrations, diagrams, a ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetables We Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetables We Eat

Lisa Vegan
Oh, I wanted to love this book. Before I started I even had people in mind to recommend it. It turns out I’m not sending official recommendations to anyone.

The good: The illustrations are wonderful. They do make the various vegetables look wonderful. I like that many show a family all preparing vegetables, and then growing/harvesting vegetables. There is some interesting information about various types of vegetables and some about growing them too.

The bad: It’s really hard to read this book. I t
Caroline Daniel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
o Summary: This book provides good idea of what children should eat in order to have a well balanced diet. It has great pictures that may make the vegetables more appealing to the young readers and simple text that appeals to young readers as well.
o Grade level: first
o Appropriate classroom use: Read in a wellness classroom
o Individual students who might benefit from reading: kids who don't have a balanced diet
o Small group use: Kids can read and pick out their favorite veggies
o Whole class use
Mary Ann
Families will appreciate this clear, accessible introduction. “Botanists group the different kinds of vegetables according to the part of the vegetable that is eaten.” Colorful watercolors show all sorts of vegetables, giving a children a sense of both the amazing variety of veggies and how they are grown.
Catherine
This is another excellent nonfiction book from Gail Gibbons that has a place in the classroom.
Daniel
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Title: Vegetables We Eat
Author: Gail Gibbons
Publisher: Holiday House, Inc., 32 pp, 2007
Audience: Children, ages 8 to 12
Format: Juvenile nonfiction (my choice)

Description:
Gail Gibbons uses her signature combination of informative text with color illustrations and diagrams to provide detailed information about a variety of different vegetables we eat.

Personal Review:
This book does a great job of explaining why vegetables are important and how they are nutritious and help build strong bodies. It
Geneva Roberts
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
When I saw the cover of this book I was excited to read it but have to say I was somewhat disappointed. While there is a lot of information about vegetables and how they grow , there maybe just a little TOO much information for young children leaving them feeling overwhelmed. The illustrations are great, I did love that about the book and the information was factual. The book tells about the various types of vegetables we eat and that they are good for us and give our bodies vitamins and fuel, a ...more
Travis Kesinger
Personal Reaction:
This book does an excellent job at explaining what each vegetable is, why they are important, and the role they play in helping us to build strong bodies. The illustrations of this book are extremely helpful in understanding the subject matter. They bring this topic to life and help to engage students while remaining very educational. I enjoyed the illustrations, but overall the book seemed to be a lot of information for a student to take in at once. It could aid in teaching s
Maria
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. Five to eight year old's.
2. In "The Vegetables We Eat" young children are exposed to many vegetables that are illustrated through colorful inciting images. The book explains the process of how stores receive their produce. They show how the vegetables are grown and the book also explains why they are good for us.
3. I particularly enjoy Gail Gibbons information text books because the text is clear, the pictures are vivid and the message is important. This book is great for early readers becau
Shellie Hubbard
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gail Gibbons is a great author of non-fiction children's books. This is just one of her many books that provide information to children on a vast variety of topics from animals to food to seasons. This story in particular focuses on the vegetables we eat, what they are, why we should eat them, and how they are grown. I chose this book because I love my veggies, but really any of her books would be phenomenal to have on your book shelf as a teacher.

As a future teacher I would use these books in
Aimee
This book provides a fun way for students to learn where vegetables come from. There are many types of vegetables, and this book describes ways to use them.

In teaching about the different food groups students will be interested in finding out more about vegetables. This book provides information in a way that is easy for students to grasp. The vocabulary in this book will inform students about if they are eating a root, bulb, leaf, stem or seed. A long debate is whether or not tomatoes are even
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like much of Gibbon's other nonfiction for children, The Vegetables We Eat is a solid and straightforward source of information about vegetables. It kept the attention of both my three-year-old and five-year-old, by being detailed enough without overwhelming young children with obscure facts and dense text. I learned from it, too. I never before knew that we classify vegetables into eight groups: leaf, bulb, flower bud, root, tuber, stem, fruit, and seed. It was fun to discuss the vegetables our ...more
Dawn Draper
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Did you know there are 8 different groups of vegetables? I didn't either until I read, The Vegetables We Eat, by Gail Gibbons. This eye catching book goes into great detail about each of the 8 groups of vegetables by describing how each vegetable fits into it's group, what some of the vegetables are in the group and which part of the vegetable we eat. The book then goes onto explain the farming of vegetables, how they get to local stores and other places we can buy them.
I think children could
Carmen Nibali
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The Vegetables We Eat” is a fun colorful non-fiction book about vegetables. This book has information about all kind of vegetables and how they grow. This is a fun book to introduce healthy eating habits to children and why vegetables are so special for our bodies. The pages are full of fun facts and colorful vegetables. I give this book four stars for the educational information, teaching healthy eating habits, and ease to read to children. This book is intended for children ages five and up. ...more
Peacegal
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-gifts
This book is an absolute joy, just bursting with vibrant illustrations. Adults are even likely to learn something. The author presents the different types of veggies (which are classified by the edible part of the plant), while frequently reminding readers how fun it is to choose vegetables and how delicious they are. I love vegetables and hopefully this will inspire some youngsters (and their parents!) to try some new ones.
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The Vegetable We Eat uses bright color, vibrant illustrations and interesting facts to engage young readers in healthy eating habits. This stories goal is to help readers find the importance and even fun in eating healthy. I would use this book to help my students understand the importance of learning how to eat healthy and how healthy habits started young carry on to a healthier life. I would have my students list healthy food they eat how it makes them feel when they eat them.
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
My students are currently learning the difference between "How To" and "All About" books and Gail Gibbons does a greta job in helping us with that. This book informed all of us about the different types of vegetables we eat and how they are beneficial. I used this text to help my students reflect on non-fiction text features (i.e. picture glossary, labels, headings, etc). Great read and good text-to-self connections!
Jennesy
This is great book for a unit on consumer goods. It answers the question: how do vegetables grow? This book gives different types of vegetables and what kinds of foods you can make with those vegetables. The book can also be used as a reference, or resource, for research on a group project. The Vegetables We Eat is a great book to fall back on for a quick lesson plan or unit.
Krista
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ed-310
I thought this book shared a lot of great information in a cute book, but it would be too much for a read aloud with the students. There is just SO MUCH information on each page that I think if it was used for a read aloud, the students would get lost or loose interest. If there is a lesson specifically for vegetables, this would be thee perfect book!
Jen
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
nice artwork, fun detail about vegetables. I will check this back out once we start going to the farmers market. I considered giving the book 4 stars because of a whole page dedicated to soy, however, it did include plastic and other uses so I let the soymilk and tofu slide, it was not necessarily emphasized as being better than meat or something crazy of the sort!
Riana
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this non-fiction book about vegetables colorful drawings are used to attract the reader. The author explains that vegetables can come from different parts (organs) of a plant ( for example, tubers, leaves, fruits, etc) and also how to grow and care for a vegetable plant. This book is both informative and accessible to young learners.
Olivia
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Students love learning about something they already know about. This is a good book for students to relate too. They all eat vegetables and in this book they learn more facts about them. Gail Gibbons does a great job with the illustrations as well!
Ashley Correll
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This nonfiction book is about how vegetables are grown and make it to your table. Bright illustrations depict different types of vegetables, such as leaf, root, bulb, flower bud and fruit vegetables. Illustrations include families from around the world eating vegetables.
Kari Thompson
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a great one to use during a unit on health and nutrition. It talks about how various vegetables are grown and why they are good for you!!!! You could also use this as a kick-off for growning a small vegetable garden with your class.
Rebecca
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Gobs of kid friendly information about vegetables, their classifications and how they grow. The last sentence says it all though, that we should always eat our vegetables because they're good for us.
Melissa Sommer
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book describes in detail all the important vegetables we need to eat. I loved the illustrations and details the author used. It was very descriptive and creative. The author does a great job of having fun while telling children how important vegetables are.
Katherine
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: foodie kids
Shelves: food-and-health
I want to eat this book! Unfortunately, Samuel lost interest after the first couple pages. It's really more my kind of thing than his. Joey really wants to read it, though, so we'll see how that goes.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this as a book display for my farmer theme story time. It is a wonderful informative farming book with big, bright illustrations. Very informative on the different types of vegetables there are.
Maddison Askew
This book explains the different veggies and what each one does for the body. This would be a great book to read to a class when talking about nutrition. The children can draw a plate and create their own healthy mean by looking through the book and seeing what veggies they liked best.
Holly Frasier
This is a book that can be used to discuss nutrition with children. Its very easy to understand and basically goes through a list of vegetables and how they are good for your body. This could also be informative because as a child you have a limited knowledge about vegetables.
Kelly Francis
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good nonfiction book for the classroom. It can be used to teach about types of vegetables, nutrition, and how vegetables are grown. Full of easy to understand information for students. Great addition to a science lesson or use as a read aloud.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Ten Red Apples
  • Toads on Toast
  • Lunch
  • Five Trucks
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...