Start by marking “This Book Is Gray” as Want to Read:
This Book Is Gray

This Book Is Gray

Gray just wants to be included. But the other colors are always leaving him out. So he decides to create his own project: an all-gray book. Once upon a time, there lived a wolf, a kitten, and a hippo…

Gray just knows it’s going to be perfect. But as he adds page after page, the Primary and Secondary colors show up…and they aren’t quite so complimentary.

A book within a book,
Published December 1st 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Gray, please sign up.
Belinda I have just always liked the color grey as being neutral and one of my favorite colors. It does not seem to be an exciting color to most and does not …moreI have just always liked the color grey as being neutral and one of my favorite colors. It does not seem to be an exciting color to most and does not jump out at you but is calm(less)

Start your review of This Book Is Gray
Calista
This book is cute, but let me get this out of the way first. I hate the color gray. It’s sad and depressing and the color of pollution, but I do like the a grey overcast day and if you notice it makes the other colors around more cozy. The greens are a deeper green and stand out more. Gray is the new stylish color now and I don’t like it. Anyway.

I went into this book apprehensively. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy this story. We start out with the other bright primary and secondary
Donna Backshall
This may be a children's book, but I thought it was GRAYt!

And who wouldn't? It's chock full of puns and silly banter. Adults will appreciate this as much as any kid would.

No matter your age, you'll laugh with Gray and his colorful friends through every page. And maybe, just maybe, you'll learn an interesting thing or two about the personalities of colors.
HBalikov
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for children up to about nine about the "lesser known" color, gray, and why it should get its time in the spotlight.

My little kid panelists (2 to 5) found the illustrations charming but the text had to be simplified for their comprehension.

The book is short, and we will try it again in about a year to see if the result is different. Ward wants to pack in some terms that may need to be skipped for younger readers. Still, this is a charming effort to enlighten the subject.
David Schaafsma
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This Book is Gray by Lindsay Ward is book #13 (of 20) for 2020. It’s a difference book, accepting all the colors, not just the most popular colors. Gray decides to create the grayest book, all-gray-all-the-time, featuring a wolf, kitten and hippo. In process, the other colors comment on the book and come to reconsider and accept and celebrate gray.

Hank (14): 4 stars. The story is good!

Harry (15): 3.5 stars. Being differe

Publication date: December 1, 2019
Publisher: Two Lions
Language: English
ASIN: B07MQR7B5V

I downloaded this book through the Amazon First Reads Program for our daughter. We sat down and read the book together. She complained that the print in the Kindle edition is too small on my 7" screen. Perhaps this book would look much better with a larger screen. She enjoyed the story but was not excited about it. She
Montzalee Wittmann
Kids will want to hear this over rover!

This Book is Gray by Lindsay Ward is an adorable kids book to learn colors and just have fun. Lots happening in each page to keep busy eyes attentive.
TL
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Read for free with Kindle Unlimited *

This was so cute!:)

A lovely and charming story that put a smile on my face the whole time. It shows a beauty in a color most probably don't think about in terms of art.

Would recommend for your little ones:)
Erin Buhr
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Gray has decided to create his own Gray Book because he is always feeling left out. The other colors have a lot to say about that idea. This is a clever, cheerful story that fans of THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT will love. This book plays with colors and color concepts and it also addresses feelings about being left out - something everyone has felt at one time or another. A fun, character filled comedy with plenty of heart.
Kate
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gray is a depressing color, rarely signifying anything good. Gray sky, gray snow, gray skin, gray mood. This book is about a color who wants to be included, despite every other color trying to convince him that nobody likes him and he doesn't belong.

I could see where Gray had a point. My eyes weren't used to looking at gray illustrations. Everything looked strange, probably because artists avoid gray in their art. It's a complicated color with many shades. After reading this book, I still don't
Juliana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute book about the color gray wanting to create its own story. All the other colors (rudely) butt in saying it's impossible without a primary color. It turns into a story within the story where the crayons are giving their input while Gray keeps trying to work on their story. In the end, there is a great balance of color and the characters Gray creates get their happy ending too!
Rod Brown
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
UPDATE 11/1/20: Annual Goodreads Choice Awards reading project: Read all the Picture Book nominees! (1 of 15 - This is the only one I read before the award announcement.)

I liked the concept -- gray is a color too and deserves its own book! (Or at least one other than Fifty Shades of Gray?) -- but the creator didn't seem to trust in it herself, beginning with the two spots of pink on the main character's face. The conflict introduced with the arrival of the primary colors was actually fun, but a
anud-be
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
cute ♥️
Kelsey
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Concept skill: colors

Ward seamlessly includes some complex color vocabulary including primary, secondary, and achromatic, but the story is ultimately muddled by "friends" that borderline as bullies. When these persistent colors talk over and ignore Gray's desire to have one book to himself, they eventually come around to listening to him--by finally including Gray in their artwork. The badgering and "too cool" quality of the colors makes it hard to see them as the good g
Lincoln
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Totally contrary to title

This book says it's about gray, but it veers quickly away from the charming premise into psychobabble and a reversal of the premise. If you want abook about valuing the unnoticed potential of individuals who get overlooked, look elsewhere. Thus isn't that book. There's very little in this book about gray and it's value.
Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My love of Amazon first pics is best expressed in my ever growing collection of digital picture books. I know that you are eye rolling because I could use my monthly free book to get an adult book, but I have yet to be disappointed by the kiddie lit that I have tucked in my phone for my adorable nieces and nephews. This one is a cute color wheel of fun, and you have to love any book that tells you to love yourelf for who you are! A fun romp that was nephew and auntie approved!
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I picked up an ARC at ALA and have enjoyed this alongside my six-year-old. We've added 'achromatic' to our vocabulary. And now I see all things gray....if I could attach a photo, I'd share proof.
Baby Bookworm
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! We’re back! The Baby Bookworm has moved houses, and we’re all set up in our new reading corner (though Mr. Dinosaur is still in a box somewhere, so he is still on hiatus). Our book today is This Book Is Gray by Lindsay Ward, a tale of individuality.

As the primary and secondary colors work together to build a colorful rainbow, Gray watches with envy. There’s no gray in the rainbow, after all, and he’s feeling left out. So Gray decides to make his own book, one with nothing but gra
Janet Strohecker
Great for kids & adults

This book actually had me laughing out loud at all the puns and word play. A fantastic book for children to learn all about their colors.
I liked it so much, I bought the hard copy. :D
Karen L. Heffner
Great way to teach color theory as well as sensitivity to feeling of others

I'm a 70 year old artist. I loved it. It's adorable. I never got a children's book for my Amazon Prime first read before.
Kayle-ann Lee chee
Cute story for kids.

“Like, Totally loved it!” (Said in the primary colour yellow’s voice) Cool book to narrate for kids. They loved it. Thanks.
Lauren Drake
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was GRAYt! All gray wants is his own story as he is never used whereas the other colours are always used. The other colours interfere and try and put themselves in the story, but gray stands up for himself in the end. This book allows readers to see how gray can look nice and be a beautiful colour and will help them to appreciate it.

I think children would really enjoy this book and that it would encourage children to think about using the colour gray in more of their drawings.
Jana
This cute picture book helps young readers see the importance of diversity and inclusion. Gray always feels left out, so decides to create a story that only has the color gray in it. Before too long, though, the other colors come along and make it difficult for Gray to continue. But, as things go, Gray realizes that it's important that everyone gets a chance to contribute. This might be a fun book to include with an art lesson on colors - primary, secondary, complimentary.
fer
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
gray is my favorite color now
Ivy Moser
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny, charming, original...and I learned something!
The only thing I slightly didn't like was the use of the word "guys"--but I always am bothered by that, so nothing pointedly against this book or anything.
Anomaly
Cute and Enjoyable But Massively Misses Target Demographic

I am so confused and conflicted because I both enjoyed parts of this book and felt like it completely failed in its mission. As an adult, I appreciated the sarcastic humour and liked the art for being cute. However, I don't believe children will understand this type of story or even be able to grasp the underlying message. I'm not even sure I can grasp the message myself, seeing how far it deviates from what's promised.

This isn't actuall
Tana
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun book about colors - Picture book
Leslie Marley
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny and engaging it really does also educate about colors and what it is like to feel left out.
Judi Easley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, early readers, parents/grandparents, gift givers
Recommended to Judi by: Amazon
This Book is Gray
Lindsay Ward
Two Lions, Expected Dec 1, 2019
40 pages
Children’s book: colors, marginalizing
Amazon First Picks
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The cover is cute and totally appealing in spite of its lack of bright and cheerful colors. The values of gray and the energy created by the “brushstrokes” used work well. And then there is our little guy Gray himself there with his tiny pink cheeks cheering us on and inviting us into his book.

Gray is feeling quite despondent since he is always left out when it comes t
Starbubbles
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and colorful!

I loved this book! It's cute and full of color. Each color had a distinct personality and clothes, it was adorable!

I want to note that this is NOT compatible with the Kindle Paperwhite. Luckily, it worked fine on my phone, but it doesn't allow for zooming in either to read really small words. I feel that Amazon should not sell ebooks that are incompatible with their own products. At least warn a person. Geez!
Final Round
5,285,890 Votes Cast

• Bird Hugs
  • Grandma's Gardens
  • Bedtime Bonnet
  • Just Like Me
  • Julián at the Wedding
  • The Seed of Compassion: Lessons from the Life and Teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • The Serious Goose
  • Naughty Ninja Takes a Bath
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Antiracist Baby
  • Sweet Child o' Mine
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
  • The Refuge
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • Think Outside the Box
Lindsay Ward has a BFA in Illustration from Syracuse University. Her most recent books include It’s Show and Tell, Dexter! and Don’t Forget Dexter!, books 1 and 2 in the Dexter T. Rexter Series with Two Lions. She is also the author and illustrator of Brobarians (Two Lions, 2017), The Importance of Being 3 (Dial 2016), Rosco vs. the Baby (S&S, 2016), Henry Finds His Word (Dial, 2015), a Choose to ...more