Start by marking “Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)

Into the Hourglass

(The Evermore Chronicles #2)

In the second book in The Evermore Chronicles by Emily R. King, Everley Donovan plunges into the roiling waves of a strange new world to hunt a wicked prince who cheated time.

Everley Donovan’s mission: retrieve the hallowed sword of Avelyn stolen by the wicked Prince Killian, who slayed her family and left her for dead. Should she fail, the seven worlds will come to an end
Published August 20th 2019 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Into the Hourglass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Hourglass

Start your review of Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
Shelley
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Into the Hourglass, by author Emily R. King, is the second installment in the authors The Evermore Chronicles. The story begins about 2 months after the ending of Before the Broken Star. Everley Donovan continues her revenge tour de force against Prince Killian. Killian was swallowed by the beast known as the Terrible Dorcha as well as the ancient sword of Avelyn which is supposed to be Everley's to protect. Without it, she ha
Michele
4 1/2 "Adventurous" Stars

Into the Hourglass is the second book in The Evermore series and it was absolutely wonderful. I think that sometimes I enjoy the sequels in a fantasy series more because the majority of the "world building" has already taken place in the first book. I don't know if that is why I enjoyed this one more, but I definitely fell into the storyline very easily and it kept my attention the entire time.

Everley is continuing to chase after Prince Killian in order to exact revenge
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4.5 Evermore Stars****

It was a relief to travel back to another realm of the 7 with Everly, Killian and the rest of the adventurers.

I fell into this series to the point where nothing else matters except what is going to happen to Evie and what adventure Father Time is going to send her on next.
San
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
At the first time I couldn't get into this book. Might be because I was in the reading slump. When I gave it a second chance it was better and I enjoyed the story and characters.
Everley continues chasing Prince Killian in order to retrieve the sword of Avelyn and get her revenge. This time she ends in different land where she uncovers more secrets. Her relationship with Jamison develops a lot but she still believes that girl with a clock heart cannot love. I cheer for them so much!
In the end it
LJ Waguespack
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More deception, more discoveries, intriguing and beguiling characters, a strong book two in this engaging series.

This is a well written second book in an emotionally charged trilogy. The world building continues in a creative, meticulous manner as does the story. The cast increases, the action is volatile, explosive and charged, the discoveries and deceptions endless. Smartly paced, a satisfying read, onto book three asap. Well done Emily R King, well done.
Marta Cox
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This is the sequel to Before the Broken Star and sees Everley chasing the sword that was stolen by Prince Killian. Everley is determined to fulfil her promise to Father Time but to do so means she needs to convince those around her that it’s possible to travel to a world under the seas.
As with the previous story it seems that Killian is always one step in front and poor Everley and her friends do seem to be forever playing catch up. I very much enjoyed that we were introduced to new characters
Samantha Hastings
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC in exchange for a honest review.

Another amazing adventure in the Evermore Chronicles that will keep you guessing until the last page!

What I loved 🖤⚓️🐳:
1. The prologue explains that the sword is really a broken star and Everley thinks she is a broken girl because of her clock heart. Everley’s character development is truly beautiful as she realizes that just because bad things have happened to her—she’s not broken. Her potential is still endless.
2. The fantasy world expands to
Melissa
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time and life are gifts we should all treasure

Sometimes I have trouble with what to say about the middle book of a trilogy. I'm usually deep enough into the story by now that I just want to continue to book 3! But I'll mention a few things here first.

This one was quite the whirlwind adventure in a different world! The Land Under the Wave is a harsh world for humans to survive in, and most do not survive for long, between not much land and resources and the merrows trying to lure them to their de
Alicia (Alicia Reads It)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, ya
⭐️⭐️⭐️
3 STARS

After reading the second book in King’s new series, I have come to understand her writing style a bit more. I enjoyed the first book, but I had stated that it started off slow for me. This second book was no exception to that. It started off SO SLOW moving for me. In fact, it didn't really pick up for me until halfway through. That being said, I still enjoyed it.

A few things I really loved in this book...

I still really enjoy the characters, and I loved the world-building. It is ver
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Into the Hourglass

This book has it all: Mermaids, Elves, Giants, Fairies and many more. This is the second book in The Evermore Chronicles and it is as exciting as the first one. Everley Donovan must cross worlds to find the Sword of Avelyn before Prince Killian uses it to destroy another world. She is however facing another challenge. Her clock heart is ticking its last ticks and she must return to her uncle before it beats its last tick.

This series is fantastic. I love the characters and the adventures. It is s
Amy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
My blog: A Magical World of Words

Source: Netgalley. I voluntarily read & reviewed this copy. All thoughts are my own.

I love King’s writing. I enjoyed it in the first book of this series, and I still do. The only disappointing factor is the dialogue: it’s on-the-nose and dry, pointing out what the story needs to propel it forward, but not delivering entertainment, subtext, or character. I think it’s a pity.
Otherwise, though, King’s prose is lyrical, her descriptions are rich, and the whole book
Brooke
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Spoilers if you’ve not read the first book*

In this sequel, Everley Donovan plunges into a strange new world to hunt a wicked prince who cheated time. Should she fail, the seven worlds will come to an end, as could time itself. In the Land Under the Wave, Everley’s tragic past resurfaces unsolved questions. She must take back her sword before her time runs out…

I rated the first book in this series 3 stars... and rated this one 4 stars. I think my main issue with the first book was the inconsis
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-audiobooks
Everley is on a quest into the otherworlds. Their task … to find the sword of Avelyn that was stolen by Prince Killian. Yes, the same Prince Killian who killed her entire family and left her for dead. If they don’t find the sword in time … the seven worlds will collapse. Like all quests, the path before them is not safe and with her heart clock beginning to fail, Everley wonders if she will even survive this experience. Will Everley be able to retrieve the sword in time? What secrets will she di ...more
Iza
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one picks up right where book one ends, so don't read it without having read Before the Broken Star because you won't understand much - and you will miss out on some pretty awesome things.

So without spoiling Into the Hourglass I'll say this: it has The Little Mermaid feels to it, along with some Peter Pan - which I kind of got toward the end of book one.

Are you humming Under the Sea yet?

Jokes aside, it really is another adventure; one against time because of you-know-what regarding Everl
Bradley (AudioShelf)
Ahhh! I really love Emily R. King’s mind. She has the most creative ideas for world-building. I was so excited to read this follow-up, because I LOVED LOVED LOVED Before the Broken Star.

I felt like this sequel had so much going on. The adventure and action started IMMEDIATELY, giving me no time to process the start of events. You will not be bored with this book, as there is something always going on.

Going back to world building, I do feel like the mystic creatures were flushed out enough—I ha
Michela Elizabeth
Emily R. King is a wonderful storyteller.

She's done it again with great battles, pirates and charming dialogue and a fairy with noting but attitude and courage. The characters drove this book. Emily R. King wrote magic when she wove together a band of misfits with only mutiny, gold and the bonds of a gang that fends for its own. Into the Hourglass is a book that balances on the edge of a great sea wave. Each character drives the story of dear Everley down paths she wasn’t expecting and as a rea
Caitlin
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I loved this sequel! I read it one sitting. I just couldn't put it down once I started.

If you read my review of book one, you will know that I wasn't too pleased with how book one ended, but rest assured, book two is perfect. It was a wild ride, but I enjoyed every bit of it. The slow-burn romance, the adventures, the magic, the characters, it was all good. I devoured it like chocolate.

Everly's transformation in this book was perfect. I loved watching her grow and reali
Becca Mee
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With every page, this series gets more and more thrilling. Emily King sure knows how to twist your hearts with heart-pounding action and mind-blowing plot twists. I think my favorite part of Hourglass was the clear character development of the MC, Everley Donovan, as well as the relationship between her and Jamison evolves. Throughout her mission to retrieve the sword of Avenel and to stop her nemesis, Prince Killian Markham, Everley learns that the heart is much more than just an organ, and tha ...more
Nikki
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked Into the Hourglass - the land under the sea was a fun one to venture to and removed some of the characters who were lagging a bit in the first book.

I did feel that in places things slot in too easily (one problem at a time etc) but honestly it’s good fun to read so it’s hard to begrudge that too much.

I really liked Everley coming a bit more into her own here, even if Markham (and Harlow) bec
Taylor (Frayed Books)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual 4.5/5 stars.
Imogene
Review to come closer to release date.

The Drowsy Bookworm
Harder to stick with this one than #1, it kept taking turn after turn and I found myself losing interest towards the end. Which is not what I want because I was really enjoying the series thus far. I think I'll need to take a break though before finishing the series.
Rachel Palmer
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ready to read the next and final book!!
Clara
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
Another 2.5 stars for me.

I liked this instalment a bit better than the previous one. Although I do still have problems with it. The pacing was the same, very slow for around 60/70% of the book, then extremely fast-paced until the end of the novel.

Parts that I liked:

- The slight evolution of Everley. (view spoiler)
Princess
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and Skyscape in exchange for my honest review. I thought this was a solid book 2. I really hope Everley and Callahan can make it work in this next book. The magical aspects are pretty cool and I love how everyone is coming together. I am hoping to see Markham defeated
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Into the Hourglass follows Everley’s quest to stop Prince Killian and obtain the Sword of Avelyn, even if that means travelling to the mysterious Land Under the Wave. She was greeted by a ship graveyard (and yes it’s as eerie as it sounds!), met some siren singing merrows and discovered a sea hag’s grotto filled to the brim with yup you guessed it, house cats. This book was quirky, hilarious and the perfect sequel to Emily R. King’s Evermore Chronicles Trilogy. It continued to have heart and cha ...more
Laura (Bookie_mama_bear)
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
⏳⚓️ BOOK REVIEW ⚓️⏳
Firstly.... how awesome is this cover? Absolutely beautiful!
••••••••••••••••••••
This is book two in the Evermore Chronicles series by Emily R King. I immediately loved book one and book two was every bit as engaging.
King has a real talent for description, her characters are so well thought out and portrayed that they are as vivid as any photograph. Landscapes are bright and dark in equal measure. Moreover the story itself is so unique it is like nothing I have read before, whi
Crystal
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in this series proceeds apace. In this book, Everly is pursuing Prince Killian across worlds that she could hardly have imagined, facing mermaids, danger, love, betrayal and mischief. This book has a definite Pirates of the Caribbean feel to it, which I loved.

I also really like the secondary characters in this book who were given more of a chance to be fleshed out. Everley’s love interest is a true hero. Two of her female companions fall in love, which I didn’t realize was coming
Heidi Hanley
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series. It's a good story with good characters and very imaginative worlds that the main character travels between. I listened to it on the audio version and if I have on criticism it is that although the narrator is good, she does tend to make Everly sound in a constant state of hysterics. Likely she is trying to keep the drama high, but there's drama and then there's melodrama. Not an issue to keep you from listening to this on audio, but just a little thing I thought could ...more
Kelly
2 Stars

This book was just barely passable for me. I slogged my way through it and the ending was pretty good but the 1st 90% was not good. It was just too much information and too hard to keep up with. I didn't really care for Evie at all. She wasn't very likeable. This book was so not good that, and this has happened only once or twice, I'm not sure I will read the last book in the series. My first thought when I was through was "finally!" and that sums up all you need to know.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • The Buried World (The Grave Kingdom, #2)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • The Immortal Words (The Grave Kingdom, #3)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • Myths and Mortals (Numina #2)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)
  • A World of Secrets (The Firewall Trilogy, #2)
  • A Painted Goddess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #3)
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • Ink Mage
  • Rebel Born (Secondborn, #3)
  • The First Girl Child
  • A Girl From Nowhere (The Firewall Trilogy, #1)
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
Emily R. King is a reader of everything and a writer of fantasy. Born in Canada and raised in the USA, she has perfected the use of “eh” and “y’all” and uses both interchangeably. Shark advocate, consumer of gummy bears, and islander at heart, Emily’s greatest interests are her four children. She’s a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and an active participant in her ...more

The Evermore Chronicles (3 books)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)

News & Interviews