Start by marking “10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World” as Want to Read:
10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World

10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World

An intensely powerful new novel from the best-selling author of The Bastard of Istanbul and Honour - available for pre-order now

'In the first minute following her death, Tequila Leila's consciousness began to ebb, slowly and steadily, like a tide receding from the shore. Her brain cells, having run out of blood, were now completely deprived of oxygen. But they did not shu
Expected publication: June 6th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World

Nadia
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-east
Elif Shafak is a bestselling novelist known for her stories of strong female characters, immigrants and minorities. She follows this trend in her latest novel '10 Minutes and 38 Seconds in This Strange World' depicting a story of Leila. Leila, known as Tequila Leila, is a prostitute in Istanbul who is killed at the start of the book and her body ends up in a rubbish dump. After being physically dead, Leila's brain remains active for another 10 minutes and 38 seconds, during which Leila's memorie ...more
Joanne Harris
An extraordinary novel: tender, sensual, compassionate, inclusive and steeped in atmosphere and detail, this is a love letter to Istanbul, to tolerance, to friendship. Read it now.
Steve Clough
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m still in the immediate afterglow of this novel, so I may revisit this in time but my current feelings are that I’ve just read a truly wonderful book, which sings of the city and the people of Istanbul. Tequila Leila and, for the most part, her friends, are so well drawn, I felt that I knew them by the end. My only criticism, if you could call it that, is that I’d have liked more of ending, or at least more detail. That aside, I loved this book. Elif Shafak is a true modern great!
Jill Westerman
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My book group recently read Three Daughters of Eve which was the first Elif Shafak book I had read and I was keen to read this one (thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a review copy).
I love the way that the novels give insight into the way life is lived in Turkey, the descriptions of the places and everyday detail are evocative and I feel I have much more appreciation of the country and the people.
The opening is strong and I very much enjoyed reading about Leila and her five friends - th
Tova
Apr 26, 2019 is currently reading it
Excuse me while I freak out for about five seconds, because Elif Shafak apparently read my blog, even though I haven't reviewed one of her books in at least a year or more, and now I'm getting a copy of this book early. WHAT IS LIFE? Nobody has ever just sent me a copy of a book before, for like free because they liked my blog. Am I transitioning into a "real" book reviewer?
Elaine Aldred
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this novel we follow the last 10 minutes and 38 seconds of prostitute Tequila Leila’s death. Each minute brings a new remembrance through the tastes and smells associated with Turkish life. Woven within these intense memories are Leila’s group of very different friends who, like her, are all outcasts. Friends who are not likely to forget her no matter what.

10 minutes 38 seconds is a joyful riot of a book, which might be a strange thing to say because it is obvious from the get-go how the nove
Melissa
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating premise and wonderful well fleshed out characters
Sharon
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come 4.5 stars
A bitter-sweet novel, beautifully written tale of true friendship, loyalty and love
Paula
Deniza Avamil
Feb 01, 2019
Martin
Feb 03, 2019
Elif Shafak was born in Strasbourg, France, in 1971. She is an award-winning novelist and the most widely read woman writer in Turkey. Critics have named her as “one of the most distinctive voices in contemporary Turkish and world literature”. Her books have been translated into more than 40 languages and she was awarded the honorary distinction of Chevalier of the Order of Arts and Letters.
Shafak