Start by marking “The Goodbye Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Goodbye Diaries

The Goodbye Diaries

Two months to live. That's what the doctor says.

Sally responds with grace and optimism.

Marisa responds by closing herself off. If her mother is going to die before she graduates from high school, why even try. Cancer has already ruined everything.

Honest and heartfelt, The Goodbye Diaries offers a touching glimpse into both sides of terminal illness—the one who will leave a
Published May 7th 2019 by Wyatt-MacKenzie Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Goodbye Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodbye Diaries

DJ
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, adult, nonfiction
I broke down crying when I finished this book. The story follows teenager Marisa as she deals with her mother's cancer diagnosis while trying to make the big step from high school to college.

I'm not generally a memoir reader, but this book certainly didn't feel like a memoir in the way I normally think of them. It felt a lot more like reading a new-adult coming-of-age fiction novel the way it is written. While I knew the book would be about the relationship between the author and her mother, I
Kait
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As if the high school/college transition isn't confusing enough, Marisa is dealt the blow of her mother's cancer diagnosis just as she's about to finish high school. Reading about her reaction to the situation and how she processed it forced me to remember all the times I was rude to my parents as an adolescent—just because I was lost and confused—and the unconditional love I received in return.

The Goodbye Diaries is about more than a terminal illness—it's about hope, family bonds, teenage love
Veronica
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are like me and refuse to read sad books because … life. Don’t be. This book is awesome. Marisa Bardach brings the reader back to the worst time of her teenage years, and we have to thank her for her brutal honesty. This book is a great reminder that ageing is a gift, and time, a great ally. I can’t wait to see what she writes next.
Michyreads
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading grief books, stories that mirror my own recent experiences, is so cathartic for me.
Lindsey
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. You think you know what it is about as the synposis is pretty clear... the story of a mom and daughter dealing with a terminal diagnosis. But it is so much more than that. The Goodbye Diaries spans so many ages and so many people can relate to it, but I love the college Marisa the most. She is so so relatable to anyone going to college but especially because she is living with this secret and trying to stay as normal as possible through it all ...more
Carolyn Evert
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a quick read because the story of Marisa and Sally is so well done that you want to keep turning the page to learn more about their journey. It's such a unique concept to read Marisa's feelings and memories of her mom battling cancer, and then witness almost the same scene through her mom's lens.

The way Marisa lets the reader into her life during high school and that first year of college was so realistic, at times I felt like I was back in the late 90s.

I witnessed my mom battle c
Christine
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well told, these sad but positive mother-daughter diary entries are inspiring and honest. The family love is evident and the fight to make every minute count is heartening. The thoughtful, reflective writing make this book a must-read for everyone, any age, facing terminal illness with a loved one.
Deborah Burns
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author reels the reader into this fascinating, dual perspective mother-daughter story. For those of us who have lost a parent to cancer, the read is cathartic, but it is ultimately a tightly-woven memoir for everyone. Full of love and even hope, the author so gracefully offers her own and her mother's insights that we become suspended between them ... and come to love them both.
Eve Finger
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story, beautifully told. Mother (Sally) and daughter (Marisa) express their feelings about Sally’s cancer diagnosis and her short survival expectancy. Both are gifted writers and easy to connect to.
Diana
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent, touching and well written. I should also add that it’s not as depressing of a read as one might expect. There are sad moments of course but overall it’s a touching story about family and relationships.
Divya Murthy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely and deeply empathetic read.
Cass
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful wonderful mom, stricken unexpectedly with cancer, 17yr old beautiful wonderful daughter learns how to live without her best friend. For those of us, the motherless daughters, this is a pain and grief like no other. Heartbreaking, indeed, but a well written and powerful memoir. Amazing love story, wish I could have known Sally. What a lovely, strong lady.
Marsha Cicerchia Gutierrez
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot love this book more. It should be required reading for any female. It's beautifully written and wonderfully vulnerable!
Amanda Smith
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Goodbye Diaries is a moving story that reminds you how complicated, yet special a mother-daughter relationship can be. If you're either, mom or daughter, you will relate deeply to both of these women. A must read.
Jackie Homan
Aug 12, 2019
Marci
Aug 07, 2019
Ame
rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2019
Jul 12, 2019
Jun 16, 2019
Amanda Lauren
Jun 09, 2019
Marisa Bardach Ramel is author of The Goodbye Diaries: A Mother-Daughter Memoir (Wyatt-MacKenzie, May 2019). She’s a former magazine editor who has written for Seventeen, Prevention, Woman’s Day, Glamour, HuffPost, POPSUGAR, xoJane, Modern Loss, and more. She lives in Brooklyn, NY with her husband, toddler boy, and baby girl.