Start by marking “The Guardians” as Want to Read:
The Guardians

The Guardians

In the small north Florida town of Seabrook, a young lawyer named Keith Russo was shot dead at his desk as he worked late one night. The killer left no clues behind. There were no witnesses, no real suspects, no one with a motive. The police soon settled on Quincy Miller, a young black man who was once a client of Russo’s.

Quincy was framed, convicted, and sent to prison
Published October 15th 2019 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Guardians, please sign up.
Dave This for me is the biggest problem on Goodreads. I know what the book is about because it's described above the reviews. I just want to know what you…moreThis for me is the biggest problem on Goodreads. I know what the book is about because it's described above the reviews. I just want to know what you think about it(less)

Start your review of The Guardians
Lou
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a few recent novels that failed to live up to Grisham's usual, exacting standard I heard many people pondering whether his time as a master of the legal thriller was over. Well, in The Guardians he replies in a way which will shut the naysayers up pretty damn quickly; here he is back to his barnstorming best, and I will undoubtedly be adding this to my favourite reads of 2019. The plotting is superb, the characters engaging, and the twists and turns plentiful and truly shocking; this is ...more
Carolyn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Did not finish. Gave up about page 220. I have read and enjoyed most of John Grisham’s books. This was an informative fictional account of a non-profit organization that advocates for and exonerates prisoners who have been wrongly convicted of a crime they did not commit. In Canada, there is Innocence Canada which has helped exonerate 23 innocent people since 1993. In the United States, the Innocence Project has branches in many States. In 2018 alone, 9 innocent people were exonerated in the ...more
Jean
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an “issues” novel about a disillusioned attorney, Cullen Post, who has become an Episcopal priest. Cullen now volunteers as an attorney for a non-profit Innocence project. They are attempting to free a prisoner who was wrongfully convicted.

The book is well written. The plot twists and turns and the characters are interesting. Grisham starts the suspense immediately and continues to build it throughout the story. The book was entertaining as well as informative. It is a quick easy read.

I
Judy Collins
Quick notes. I LOVED, LOVED THE GUARDIANS! I am an avid John Grisham fan and this is the author at his FINEST! A legal thriller/historical fiction classic. This is one for the home library. Top Books of 2019! If I could give it 10 stars I would. Here you go:

I have always been fascinated with innocence work and ministries for many years. I love books surrounding this topic. The people who work with little pay to help save the innocent from the needle. Justice for crimes they did not commit.
Lisa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deftly written and thought-provoking book that will stick with you long after the last page is turned.

SUMMARY
Quincy Miller has spent the past twenty-two years in prison for a crime he did not commit. He had no lawyer and no advocate until he wrote a letter to Guardian Ministries, a small innocence group based in Savannah, Georgia which handles only a few wrongful conviction cases at a time. Cullen Post, one of the founders of Guardian Ministries is a lawyer, and minister who travels the South
Andrew Smith
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cullen Post is a lawyer and a preacher, or rather he used to be a preacher but these days his efforts are fully focussed on trying to get innocent people out of prison. He’s based in America’s Deep South and works for a nonprofit organisation. Consequently he earns very little money, works crazy hours and hasn’t had a romantic relationship in quite some time. We follow him as he works on a number of cases, primarily concerning two men imprisoned for murders Post is convinced they didn’t commit.

I
Gary
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read most of John Grisham's novels so was really looking forward to this one. The more I read the more I enjoyed it and I was aware that my initial rating was changing.
The book features Cullen Post a former priest who now works for an organisation called Guardian Ministries that tries to free people they believe to be wrongfully convicted by getting a retrial.
For the last 22 years Quincy Miller has been in prison and as always claimed his innocence. All the evidence surrounding the
Mads Bruynesteyn
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Sure that this novel has to be placed on the same level as A Time To Kill, The Pelican Brief etc. One of his best!!
Tooter
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars ...more
Lori
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I will give him one more chance. His last few have been terrible, so much so that I haven't read anything since Gray Mountain (I'd give that zero stars if I could). Fingers crossed!

Update: well, it was better than Gray Mountain. Ha! It was entertaining and I read it in less than a day, so 3 stars for me. Also, I recently re-read The Partner (one of his better ones) and this one felt to be in the same caliber. This was definitely not Gray Mountain or one of his "phoning it in" novels.
Scott
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has become one of my annual late Fall rituals. The leaves are falling. College and Pro football are in high gear, which means it is time to open the new John Grisham novel, “The Guardians”, and re-visit the law in action in the South.

This time out, Grisham introduces us to Cullen Post, an innocence lawyer and an ordained Episcopal minister, working for Guardian Ministries, a small non-profit in Savannah, Georgia. Guardian specializes in accepting cases of those criminals sitting on death row
Monnie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a long-time Grisham fan, the moment I got my hands on this book I bookmarked the one I'd almost finished reading, set aside the one lined up to be read next and got down to business. My only disappointment? That real-life business (like eating and sleeping) prevented me from polishing it off in one sitting; it was engrossing from the first page to the last.

The story outlines the efforts of nonprofit Guardian Ministries, a small, close-knit group of like-minded individuals whose mission is to
Lorna
The Guardians is the latest legal thriller by John Grisham focusing on wrongful convictions and the attempts to overturn them. However, as Grisham points out, this book is based on the work of Centurion Ministries founded in 1980 by James McCloskey when he was a divinity student. This is the fictional account of Cullen Post, a lawyer and Episcopal minister, working for Guardian Ministries headquartered in Savannah, Georgia. This foundation is made up of four people, all dedicated to the work of ...more
Greville Waterman
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you get the feeling that he’s phoning it in a bit but when he’s in form there is no thriller writer out there who can match John Grisham for sheer excitement, thrills and great plotting.

The Guardians is up there with his best and engaged me from the opening chapter.

I finished it in a day and can thoroughly recommend it as an exceptional legal thriller.

Highly recommended.
Kim Kaso
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor50002019
This arrived on Tuesday with my pre-order delivery, I picked it up on Saturday & was intrigued by the Episcopal priest who was a lawyer and was using his skills in service of the wrongfully convicted. Finished it in a day. Full of interesting characters and plot twists, kept me entertained as my power went on and off due to power lines suddenly needing to be replaced at the end of our street. Fortunately, daylight lasted until the power came back on so I read last few chapters by lamplight. ...more
Alex Givant
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper, best-of-2019
Loved this book, it's on John Grisham's level (not like couple of his previous ones, such as Camino Island or The Rooster Bar). Beside of beautiful prose (which is pleasure to read) he is talking about very important issues in USA judicial system: exoneration of wrongly convicted people, some of them spend years and decades behind the bar for crime they didn't commit (Cullen Post's prototype is Jim McCloskey from Centurion Ministries); privatization of prisons (excellent book about this subject ...more
Sherri Thacker
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book but I felt it dragged in spots and just took me forever to read.
Bri | bribooks
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: john-grisham
Being a John Grisham fan in this day and age means accepting he churns out winners and losers. I’ve loved his last three releases, but The Guardians almost totally missed the mark, for me.

The concept of ‘the guardians’ was strangely underdeveloped, especially for Grisham — an author who never strays from detail and isn’t afraid to fully paint the picture for his reader. I never felt like I knew the first-person narrator — I could never get in his head — nor could I feel out his fellow ‘
Jan
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, mystery
The Guardians, headed by Cullen Post, lawyer/Episcopal priest, are a not-for-profit innocence project who seek to prove the innocence of those wrongly incarcerated. This story is impeccably plotted, well researched and complete with fully developed characters and those conversations and circumstances ring true. Quincy Miller's been in prison 22 years for supposedly killing his divorce lawyer, Keith Russo. With ruthless and powerful people behind Miller's conviction, Post puts himself and others ...more
Valerie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one! Reminded me of why I love Grisham’s legal thrillers! Good character development and great characters! Hard to believe that this really happens! So sad that it does!
Kasa Cotugno
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic Grisham in that it's not so much a whodunnit it as an exploration of a higher purpose and hopeful resolution for the good guys.
Melanie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read a John Grisham novel for years and I have to say they are like returning to a well known cereal.
You tend to forget just how good they are.
The author has an almost unique style of writing that draws you in in such a way that you feel you are talking to a great friend and really rooting for them all the way through.
Even the legal jargon is written in such a way as to make it interesting, which is no mean feat.
Fell a little bit in love with both of the central characters, especially
Veronica Hemphill
Great book

It ended too soon. I would love to read another book with these characters. I highly recommend this Grisham book.
Henry
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another terrific John Grisham novel. The guy is a master story teller.
Tfalcone
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a Grisham like I remember them from long ago!
Everydayreader1
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this latest John Grisham tale, Cullen Post is a lawyer/Priest who is a part of Guardian Ministries, a not-for-profit specializing in freeing wrongfully convicted people from prison. It is mainly about Quincy Miller, an African American man who has spent the last twenty-three years in a Florida prison after conviction for murder.

No matter your position on the rightness or wrongness of the death penalty, I think this story is one any reader can relate too. As is the case with his first several

Nilesh
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-fiction
This is a brilliant book...except at the end.

The main story is from Grisham of the yore. Its main characters are underdogs. Stakes are high and the entire system is stacked against them. They have good intentions, smarts, and a lot of resolves.

The author excels while building his cases. With deft turns of phrases and cute interactions, he manipulates readers' emotions, punctuating them a great number of heartwarming highs. Courtroom dramas do not contain anything surprising but are filled with
Susan Crowe
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Tay
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know the plot was based on a true event. I enjoyed the book but the pace is a little slow and the humor is missing from Grisham but overall a solid book.
Karen Ng
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a 20- something 30 years ago, I was a devoted Grisham fan who read every one of his courtroom drama books centered around business crimes. Then I stopped like I stopped reading King, Cornwell, Patterson, Kellerman, and all the authors who averaged one, or even more than one, book a year... worrying about quality, ghost writing, molding, lack of growth, and other deterring factors when an author over produce.
The Guardians was the first Grisham books I read since my obssesion in my past life.
Play Book Tag: The Guardians - John Grisham - 3.5 Stars 3 18 Nov 09, 2019 06:24PM

• The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • One Good Deed
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Through the Wall
  • Nothing Ventured
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Swallows
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove series Book 2)
  • The Lies We Tell (The Undertaker's Daughter #2)
  • The Shrouded Path
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“everything, including education and corrections, is fair game for profiteers.” 0 likes
“You’re a funny man, Post.” 0 likes