Start by marking “The Guardians” as Want to Read:
The Guardians

The Guardians

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  16,119 ratings  ·  1,456 reviews
In the small north Florida town of Seabrook, a young lawyer named Keith Russo was shot dead at his desk as he worked late one night. The killer left no clues behind. There were no witnesses, no real suspects, no one with a motive. The police soon settled on Quincy Miller, a young black man who was once a client of Russo’s.

Quincy was framed, convicted, and sent to prison
Published October 15th 2019 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Guardians, please sign up.
Dave This for me is the biggest problem on Goodreads. I know what the book is about because it's described above the reviews. I just want to know what you…moreThis for me is the biggest problem on Goodreads. I know what the book is about because it's described above the reviews. I just want to know what you think about it(less)
Dola L Deloff The book was sloppy. Another error had the narrator checking in his cellphone at the prison as per regulations and then using it while still in the…moreThe book was sloppy. Another error had the narrator checking in his cellphone at the prison as per regulations and then using it while still in the prison. Grisham needs a better editor.(less)

·  16,119 ratings  ·  1,456 reviews

Start your review of The Guardians
Lou
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a few recent novels that failed to live up to Grisham's usual, exacting standard I heard many people pondering whether his time as a master of the legal thriller was over. Well, in The Guardians he replies in a way which will shut the naysayers up pretty damn quickly; here he is back to his barnstorming best, and I will undoubtedly be adding this to my favourite reads of 2019. The plotting is superb, the characters engaging, and the twists and turns plentiful and truly shocking; this is ...more
Matt
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
In John Grisham’s latest novel, the reader is taken back to the Deep South and into another interesting realm of the legal world; post-conviction appeals. The novel explores the particulars of death row inmates who feel that their innocence has been ignored as the system chewed them up and spat them out. Enter Guardian Ministries, headed up by Cullen Post. A former public defender, Post burnt out from the workload and became an Episcopal priest, after which he used his two vocations in tandem. ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Audiobook... read by Michael Beck....( who was very good)

What happened to the flashlight?
Does it matter? ha!

At times I was on the verge of some serious laughter!!
Other times - I simply enjoyed the goodness and warmth I felt from Cullen Post....a priest, volunteer attorney, and overall likable guy.....
who was committed to freeing a prisoner who was wrongly accused.

The suspense was predictable, but the dialogue & characters kept me engaged.
It was slow in parts -
Yet... as an audiobook... I
Carolyn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Did not finish. Gave up about page 220. I have read and enjoyed most of John Grisham’s books. This was an informative fictional account of a non-profit organization that advocates for and exonerates prisoners who have been wrongly convicted of a crime they did not commit. In Canada, there is Innocence Canada which has helped exonerate 23 innocent people since 1993. In the United States, the Innocence Project has branches in many States. In 2018 alone, 9 innocent people were exonerated in the ...more
Jean
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an “issues” novel about a disillusioned attorney, Cullen Post, who has become an Episcopal priest. Cullen now volunteers as an attorney for a non-profit Innocence project. They are attempting to free a prisoner who was wrongfully convicted.

The book is well written. The plot twists and turns and the characters are interesting. Grisham starts the suspense immediately and continues to build it throughout the story. The book was entertaining as well as informative. It is a quick easy read.

I
Andrew Smith
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cullen Post is a lawyer and a preacher, or rather he used to be a preacher but these days his efforts are fully focussed on trying to get innocent people out of prison. He’s based in America’s Deep South and works for a nonprofit organisation. Consequently he earns very little money, works crazy hours and hasn’t had a romantic relationship in quite some time. We follow him as he works on a number of cases, primarily concerning two men imprisoned for murders Post is convinced they didn’t commit.

I
Kristy
This is one of the best John Grisham books I’ve read in quite some time! It’s a strong, captivating story featuring the “good guys” versus “bad guys” dynamic that Grisham does so well.

Cullen Post works for Guardian Ministries, traveling the country fighting wrongful convictions. Guardian takes on clients forgotten by the system. Post, a lawyer and Episcopal minister, finds himself drawn to their latest client, Quincy Miller, who is serving life in prison. Quincy supposedly killed Keith Russo, a
Judy Collins
Quick notes. I LOVED, LOVED THE GUARDIANS! I am an avid John Grisham fan and this is the author at his FINEST! A legal thriller/historical fiction classic. This is one for the home library. Top Books of 2019! If I could give it 10 stars I would. Here you go:

I have always been fascinated with innocence work and ministries for many years. I love books surrounding this topic. The people who work with little pay to help save the innocent from the needle. Justice for crimes they did not commit.
Lisa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deftly written and thought-provoking book that will stick with you long after the last page is turned.

SUMMARY
Quincy Miller has spent the past twenty-two years in prison for a crime he did not commit. He had no lawyer and no advocate until he wrote a letter to Guardian Ministries, a small innocence group based in Savannah, Georgia which handles only a few wrongful conviction cases at a time. Cullen Post, one of the founders of Guardian Ministries is a lawyer, and minister who travels the South
Gary
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read most of John Grisham's novels so was really looking forward to this one. The more I read the more I enjoyed it and I was aware that my initial rating was changing.
The book features Cullen Post a former priest who now works for an organisation called Guardian Ministries that tries to free people they believe to be wrongfully convicted by getting a retrial.
For the last 22 years Quincy Miller has been in prison and as always claimed his innocence. All the evidence surrounding the
Natalie M
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars - I really wanted to love this book but the first half felt like I was a wrongly convicted prisoner sentenced to monotony and boredom.

The writing did not feel like a typical Grisham read and it’s simplistic vocabulary had me wondering in places if this was his book. Plot - yes there is a need to set the scene but this one just chugs along at the pace of the judicial system. There are no surprises either in plot or revelations about the system. There is no big twist or complex legal
Lorna
The Guardians is the latest legal thriller by John Grisham focusing on wrongful convictions and the attempts to overturn them. However, as Grisham points out, this book is based on the work of Centurion Ministries founded in 1980 by James McCloskey when he was a divinity student. This is the fictional account of Cullen Post, a lawyer and Episcopal minister, working for Guardian Ministries headquartered in Savannah, Georgia. This foundation is made up of four people, all dedicated to the work of ...more
Kathryn in FL
Civilized people demand retribution, particularly when a crime is heinous. What if an innocent is paying the cost of another's penalty? What about when the guilty remains free?

Seldom do we hear about those who are incarcerated erroneously. Media coverage of the outrageous fills a need for excitement in our otherwise boring and or monotonous lives. We rejoice with enthusiasm when a evil person is justly punished for a murder or financial scheme defrauding others. Yet, we rarely even give thought
Lori
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I will give him one more chance. His last few have been terrible, so much so that I haven't read anything since Gray Mountain (I'd give that zero stars if I could). Fingers crossed!

Update: well, it was better than Gray Mountain. Ha! It was entertaining and I read it in less than a day, so 3 stars for me. Also, I recently re-read The Partner (one of his better ones) and this one felt to be in the same caliber. This was definitely not Gray Mountain or one of his "phoning it in" novels.
Mads Bruynesteyn
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Sure that this novel has to be placed on the same level as A Time To Kill, The Pelican Brief etc. One of his best!!
Tooter
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars ...more
Scott
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has become one of my annual late Fall rituals. The leaves are falling. College and Pro football are in high gear, which means it is time to open the new John Grisham novel, “The Guardians”, and re-visit the law in action in the South.

This time out, Grisham introduces us to Cullen Post, an innocence lawyer and an ordained Episcopal minister, working for Guardian Ministries, a small non-profit in Savannah, Georgia. Guardian specializes in accepting cases of those criminals sitting on death row
☮Karen
This is a likeable Grisham offering; maybe not as good or thrilling as I was hoping for. I liked the topics covered, wrongful convictions and those who try to right that wrong, much better than the execution of this one. And if you know Grisham you know that executions are always a topic as well!

The audio was good, read in a slow Southern drawl that made a not so long book into a very long audio. I chose to speed it up a bit and finished in 2 days of commuting and puttering around the house.
Malia
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I am sadly in the minority of readers who did not care for this book, which is disappointing because I was excited to read it. However, though Grisham does offer insight into the prison system and the story he outlines is probably and tragically not unrealistic, I just couldn't get into it. Cullen Post is a good man, but he is also such a cliche, and I had trouble really connecting to any of the characters, even as I tried. You can't force these things, and in the end it just wasn't for me. Oh ...more
Monnie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a long-time Grisham fan, the moment I got my hands on this book I bookmarked the one I'd almost finished reading, set aside the one lined up to be read next and got down to business. My only disappointment? That real-life business (like eating and sleeping) prevented me from polishing it off in one sitting; it was engrossing from the first page to the last.

The story outlines the efforts of nonprofit Guardian Ministries, a small, close-knit group of like-minded individuals whose mission is to
Kasa Cotugno
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic Grisham in that it's not so much a whodunnit it as an exploration of a higher purpose and hopeful resolution for the good guys.
Denise  Reed
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I must preface my review by saying that I have read every John Grisham book going back to A Time to Kill in 1989, and looking back, his books definitely played a part in my choosing a career in the legal field, so I adore John Grisham in an almost crazed fan-girl way lol That being said, though, The Guardians just didn't grab me in the same way the majority of Grisham's other books have done. It feels almost treasonous for me to say, but I was somewhat bored throughout much of it.

The premise is
Kim Kaso
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor50002019
This arrived on Tuesday with my pre-order delivery, I picked it up on Saturday & was intrigued by the Episcopal priest who was a lawyer and was using his skills in service of the wrongfully convicted. Finished it in a day. Full of interesting characters and plot twists, kept me entertained as my power went on and off due to power lines suddenly needing to be replaced at the end of our street. Fortunately, daylight lasted until the power came back on so I read last few chapters by lamplight. ...more
Greville Waterman
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you get the feeling that he’s phoning it in a bit but when he’s in form there is no thriller writer out there who can match John Grisham for sheer excitement, thrills and great plotting.

The Guardians is up there with his best and engaged me from the opening chapter.

I finished it in a day and can thoroughly recommend it as an exceptional legal thriller.

Highly recommended.
Alex Givant
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper, best-of-2019
Loved this book, it's on John Grisham's level (not like couple of his previous ones, such as Camino Island or The Rooster Bar). Beside of beautiful prose (which is pleasure to read) he is talking about very important issues in USA judicial system: exoneration of wrongly convicted people, some of them spend years and decades behind the bar for crime they didn't commit (Cullen Post's prototype is Jim McCloskey from Centurion Ministries); privatization of prisons (excellent book about this subject ...more
Rich
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to star by saying that I have read many of his books. His best book is still the firm because he was Mitch in the book. I did not read the last two books they did not interest me. I was worried this book might be a rehash of the Chamber but it was not. It was a very good book and would say it falls in the top five by him. The story was solid, the main character was good and the story moved at a good pace and never bogged down. The one complaint by some people that it seemed like an info ...more
Lindsey Gandhi
John Grisham is back and he's better than ever!!! Loved the storyline. Really makes you wonder how many innocent people are convicted out there. I love Grisham's legal thrillers and this is when he's at his best (in my opinion).
Perry
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
suprêmement anticlimactique

Good enough story and protagonist, but talk about anti-climactic. The denouement, if you can call it one, comes with over a third of the book remaining.

When I read Grisham was back to his old form, I thought suspense. Not a non-profit death row attorney's travelogue.

Bri | bribooks
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: john-grisham
Being a John Grisham fan in this day and age means accepting he churns out winners and losers. I’ve loved his last three releases, but The Guardians almost totally missed the mark, for me.

The concept of ‘the guardians’ was strangely underdeveloped, especially for Grisham — an author who never strays from detail and isn’t afraid to fully paint the picture for his reader. I never felt like I knew the first-person narrator — I could never get in his head — nor could I feel out his fellow ‘
Nilesh
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-fiction
This is a brilliant book...except at the end.

The main story is from Grisham of the yore. Its main characters are underdogs. Stakes are high and the entire system is stacked against them. They have good intentions, smarts, and a lot of resolves.

The author excels while building his cases. With deft turns of phrases and cute interactions, he manipulates readers' emotions, punctuating them a great number of heartwarming highs. Courtroom dramas do not contain anything surprising but are filled with
Play Book Tag: The Guardians - John Grisham - 3.5 Stars 3 19 Nov 09, 2019 06:24PM

• The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • One Good Deed
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Nothing Ventured
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Inn
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Institute
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“professor taps his laptop, the images change, and we are lost in the world of red blood cells. The cell’s nucleus is small and round and serves as the cell’s command center. It controls the cell’s growth and reproduction. It is surrounded by a membrane. And on and on. Attached to our petition was Benderschmidt’s full report, including pages of impenetrable stuff on cells and blood. I confess that I have not read it entirely, but something tells me Judge Kumar has.” 0 likes
“Humans are mammals and their red blood cells are similar in that they do not have nuclei. Reptiles and birds have nucleated red blood cells, we do” 0 likes