Start by marking “Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories

Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories

Short tales from the Australian writers of tomorrow.

#LoveOzYA celebrates the best of new Australian writing for teenage readers. It has grown from a humble hashtag into a movement, reflecting the important role young-adult fiction plays in shaping our current generation of readers. This anthology collects, for the first time, some of the tremendous work from the #LoveOzYA
Paperback, First Edition, 280 pages
Published March 5th 2019 by Underdog Books

To ask other readers questions about Underdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underdog

Start your review of Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-oz-ya
Check out Happy Indulgence Books for more reviews!

What a fantastic collection of diverse stories! Underdog really captures what it means to be Australian, through different voices, themes and genres. Reading it felt both familiar and new, as these stories highlighted beautiful places in our country but also the wonderful diversity that we have here - from LGBTQIA+ voices, to those across cultures, minds and stories.

full review to come
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The #LoveOzYA anthology holds a collection of worlds and experiences by fantastic debut authors that Australia is in desperate need of. In her foreword, Fleur Ferris explores how everyone's publication story is different and highlights that there is no set path or story for each author. 'Underdog' however marks the beginning of writing careers for these young Australians that should not be ignored.

"Take a deep breath. Close your eyes, and let it settle all around you. Smell the beery wash of
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
A delightful and diverse #LoveOzYA collection. I loved the vast majority of these stories, and still enjoyed the ones that weren't really my thing. It's so great to see such wonderful examples of emerging talent, with many of these stories the first published work of fiction by the author.

I will be looking forward to seeing what the future hold for all these authors.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow, I'm BLOWNNN AWAY. A strong and incredible YA anthology of Australian stories!!
And if these stories are any indication of the future of Australian literature, then the future is bright.

- Features 12 stories that all center on Australian teens -- and the cool thing is that Underdog showcases the diversity of the teenage and Australian experience.
- The stories featured are the authors' first published work, and if there's a message you should take away from this anthology, it is that new
Annie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was just so incredibly impressed by all the short stories debuted in this anthology!! Each were written so incredibly well, all of them so exciting and insightful to read and what really impressed me was how diverse this anthology is - no two stories are the same and you can really hear the voice and the passion speaking up through the pages by each contributing author. It was very difficult to choose a favourite as each was so unique I loved each story equally but for different reasons. I ...more
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished my final proofreading notes! I can't believe how far all of these stories have come since the submission stages. It's been an absolute pleasure to work as assistant editor.
Emma Gerts
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful collection of short stories, these from previously unpublished Australian authors. They were fresh and exciting and many of them about contemporary issues like climate change. My only complaint was that there weren't enough of them.
Sofia Casanova
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 5-star
Loved everyone's stories and I can't wait for the world to read them!
Chent Higson
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yes good this is good
Tien
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow what a great & diverse collection of stories; very eclectic & holistic:

There were LGBT protags
There were ethnic protags
There was angst
There was grief
There was contemporary setting
There was magic
There was magical realism
there was a lot more than I could ever fit here

There is basically everything to have in this anthology. An absolutely top job by editor, Tobias Madden (his story is also in there and just so heartbreaking - most especially so since I heard it was inspired by his own
Bron
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to the Underdog team for sending me a copy of this collection! I loved these stories so much! There was a good mix of different kinds of stories - mostly contemporary with some specific too , and told from perspectives of all kinds of people. Each one of them felt really personal, and I'm looking forward to reading what these writers all do next!
Tash Broom
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good book! Loved nearly all of the stories I think the final one was my favourite! ...more
Suzie
3 1/2 stars. I always enjoy reading new Australian authors, and this was an interesting collection of YA stories. Those I particularly enjoyed were: Meet and greet, Mediocre heroes, Variation, and Living Rose
Julie Garner
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, young-adult
Short stories are just not my thing. I get too involved and then they stop. I did enjoy the first story Meet & Greet by Michael Earp.
Joelie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trisha
A consistently well written collection of stories
Michael Earp
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Taking my own story out of the equasion, this is a fantastic collection of really varied and great short stories that I enjoyed immensely. It's exciting to hear from new voices. If you want a good mix YA stories, then give this one a go.
Tobias Madden
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the editor of this anthology, I've had to read all 12 short stories countless times. I can safely say that they STILL manage to make me laugh and cry!
Jodie Warner
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-ya
I love the variety that a short story compilation usually offers. It’s a bit like an Allen’s Retro Party mix- you usually get some awesome stuff like pineapples and raspberries but then you might get a few black cats as well . But at least the black cats make you feel something.

Maybe I’ve read too many #loveozya books recently because I feel like, with Underdog, I’m getting a bag full of milk bottles. You know what I mean, they’re not particularly unpleasant, but they’re not extremely
Niamh

After Death by Cassi Dorian –3 stars

Living Rose by Kaneana May –4.5 stars
Milly Bob
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect introduction to short stories! This is my first and I was unsure if I'd be into it. But I found it fascinating. The stories in here really give you a vast look into different points of view. Some were sad, some were hopeful, the first story I found absolutely adorable! Just made me go aawww! Through most of it.
Fascinating is how I sum this book up.
Thank you to all the new authors in there and I hope to see some more books from you!
Ghostly  Writer
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Overall, there were several stories that I really connected with and felt were executed effectively. However, there were also several stories that were repetitive in their plot, which I didn't enjoy. This may have also been due to the fact that the subject matter did not interest me (i.e. something about space).
Laurie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Average of 3.5 rounded up.

The Favourites:
Mediocre Heroes - 4 stars
The Chinese Menu for the Afterlife - 4 stars
Variation - 3.75 stars
The Gap Between Us - 4.5 stars

Overall a good round up of entertaining #LoveOzYA short stories. While some could have benefited from being novellas, there were some fantastic stories that really bloomed in this format.
Poppy Nwosu
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I never thought I was into short stories so it surprised me how into this I got. The beauty of it is there is something here for everyone and I definitely found quite a few of these really spoke to me! I'd definitely recommend!! ...more
Star
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are so many wonderful stories in this anthology!
I won a proof copy on Instagram and have finally (!!!) finished it just now.

It was so great to see such a collection of #LoveOzYa short stories in an awesome book!

I'm really intrigued to see what these authors write next!
Louise
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I really loved all 12, I particularly loved Chemical Expression (Jes Layton), Meet and Great (Michael Earp), and Living Rose (Kaneanna May).

Full review here
WatermeLoonie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Great collection, enjoyed all the stories.
Liv Caks
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as per usual with the #LoveOzYA anthologies!!!
Felicity
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes! Good! Everyone has written some delightful and extremely varied stories. I love seeing so much queer content packed into a collection that isn't specifically listed as LGBTQAI+ Go team!!! ...more
Tash
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Favourite stories were: Meet and Greet, Mediocre Heroes and Chemical Expression. Others were too angsty for my current mental state and I only skimmed them.

• Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • What I Like About Me
  • Monuments
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • The Things She's Seen
  • Highway Bodies
  • Meet Me at the Intersection
  • Vardaesia (The Medoran Chronicles, #5)
  • Small Spaces
  • How It Feels to Float
  • Sick Bay
  • A Song Only I Can Hear
  • The Place on Dalhousie
“I remember the old days, but I remember them through other people. Or through written words, or traces of memory. I collect the history of what was and try to imagine it into the what is.” 0 likes
“The house is quiet, the walls dripping in sadness.” 0 likes