Start by marking “His Secret Mistress (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Secret Mistress (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #1)

His Secret Mistress

(A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women #1)

At the Logical Men's Societyan exclusive bachelor's clubbrandy flows like water, bawdy stories abound, and a gentleman tempted to marry is always persuaded to reconsider...

Brandon Balfour made the mistake of trusting his heart to the exquisite, strong-willed actress, Kate Addison, with whom he shared one intimate night before fate intervened. Now a decade later, Brandon
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 25th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about His Secret Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Secret Mistress

Start your review of His Secret Mistress (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #1)
Barbara Rogers
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, 2020-read
Series: A Logical Mans Guide to Dangerous Women #1
Publication Date: 2/25/20
Number of Pages: 368

Brandon Balfour and Kate Addison have a history. Fifteen years ago they were young, in love, and shared a magical night together. The very next afternoon, she abandoned him for a man with riches and a title. Or did she? Youll just have to read the story to find out.

Imagine Brandons surprise when his sister summons him from London demanding that he do something about her son who has declared his
Tracy Emro
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
4.5 stars rounded up.

Kate Addison and Brandon Bran Balfour have a history, fifteen years ago they were in love and shared an amazing night of passion, but the very next day everything changes when they each believe the other betrayed them. But fate isnt done with this duo and they meet again in the small town of Maidenshop.

Bran left England after Kate betrayed him for a man with money and a title, he made a fortune and became a well-respected architect, he returned to England when he learned of
Sissy's Romance Book Review
His Secret Mistress by Cathy Maxwell is the First book in the A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women Series. This is the story of Kate Addison and Brandon 'Bran' Balfour.
Kate and Brandon were young and in love they even got physical with their love. But then they ended up breaking up after a each thought the other betrayed them. Now several years later, neither had forgotten the other but they still have the thoughts of the other betraying them. When Brandon comes to 'save' his nephew from
Niki
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

Brandon Balfour once engaged in a night of passion with a beautiful actress, Kate Addison, before that mistake saw his heart broken by her infidelity. Ten years later, Bran is a successful and wealthy architect and engineer, lately returned to England from India and serving as guardian for his nephew, Christopher, the Duke of Winderton. Bran has remained a bachelor all this time and is fairly content with his life and his role in the Logical Men's Society, which he runs with
Norah Gibbons
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to read through Edelweiss+ in exchange for a fair review. His Secret Mistress by Cathy Maxwell is the first book in her new series A Logical Mans Guide to Dangerous Women. As a young man, Brandon Balfour was madly in love with an actress, and when he thought she betrayed him behaved as young men do and left everything behind and went off to make his fortune and many years later is still bitter about the experience. Now returned a man of wealth Brandon is acting as ...more
Janet
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Brandon Balfour made the mistake of trusting his heart to the exquisite, strong-willed actress, Kate Addison, with whom he shared one intimate night before fate intervened. Now a fifteen years later, Brandon is a leading member of the Logical Mens Societyfor no woman since Kate has managed to captivate him. To Kate, the memory of that night still burns strongly, because it was followed by a stunning betrayal. Brandon receives an urgent message from his widowed sister that her son the
Harlequin Books
Categories
Regency Romance, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Women's Fiction
Miniseries
Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women
MrsMascara
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a new author of HR to me, and I really enjoyed it.

We have a classic second chance romance set up, where both the hero and heroine believe that the other has betrayed them. This is also a love across the class divide because Kate, the heroine is an actress, from an acting family, and Brandon is the third son of a titled man, and has made his way as an architect, working for the East India Company.

He has just been disappointed in not getting the commission for building a new bridge in
Becky
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 3/15/2020.

His Secret Mistress is a second chance romance--Brandon and Kate had a brief but intense relationship about a decade ago that ended spectacularly and with both of them feeling incredibly betrayed. What really happened? Who was at fault? Even the two major players don't know at the start of the book, and the truth doesn't come out for quite some time.

It's even worse than you think.

In the meantime, the two are thrown together again when Kate's
Marilyn Rondeau
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenge
This was a wonderful romance by Ms. Maxwell whom Ive read before and absolutely loved the characterizations she derived in the telling. In fact, she even gave me quite a surprise with the ending actually an ending I had not expected!

The Logical Mens Society was an exclusive bachelors club where brandy flows like a river, bawdy and bodacious stories abound, and any gentleman even thinking of marriage is swiftly persuaded otherwise.

You see many years before the founder of this club trusted his
Karen Hackett
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
His Secret Mistress by Cathy Maxwell is book #1 of the Logical Mans Guide To Dangerous women series. It is a second-chance romance about two people, Brandon Balfour and Kate Addison, who were very much in love but horribly betrayed that sent him into exile and her to ruination. A decade later, Brandon, a bachelor but now a prominent member of the Logical Mens Societyfor no woman since Kate has managed to captivate him. To Kate, the memory of that night still burns strongly because it was ...more
WTF Are You Reading?

His Secret Mistress is a very sweet second chance romance. Both Brandon Balflour and Kate Addson have taken great measures to insulate themselves and their hearts from life and love.
Since the sudden sundering of their budding romance. Some 15 years prior.
Brandon, by safely ensconcing himself within the institutionalized bachelorhood and men's only gatherings of the Logical Men's Society.
For her part...
Kate is an actress. Bound and determined to get herself and her troope to the hallowed stages
Donna Sutay-Cooke
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
So for honest disclosure, I received an ARC of this book from a Goodreads giveaway, much to my delight because Cathy is always on my must read list. So I was super excited to get a early peak at the book. Life interrupted my reading at the 2/3 mark so I didnt get to finish the book completely until slightly after release date. Sorry!!! But let me just say this series kick off was a fun one for us historical readers who get tired of London, balls, and the Season sometimes and want something ...more
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fifteen years ago they shared a night of unforgettable passion that leads them both to believe they have found something special, but the next day it all comes crumbling around them. So Kate and Bran go their separate ways with no plans to ever reunite, knowing they will never be able to forgive the betrayal of the other.

But fate has other plans for this couple, these two are about to be reunited... and it is certain that no good can possibly come from it, or can it?

His Secret Mistress is a
Danielle Urban
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
His Secret Mistress by Cathy Maxwell is a mixture of both women's fiction and historical romance genres. Inside, is a scorned woman bent on taking revenge of her former lover. But their chemistry still burns strong even after all that time. The man is an engineer trying to get his small business off the ground. Yet not only did he lose his love for a special woman but he lost a project he was bent on completing. Both are frustrated and tempted but neither one knew that sparks can ignite ...more
MDM
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this second-chance love story with Brandon and Kate. She is an actress, and he is a respected architect, and uncle and guardian of a duke. They loved and lost each other fifteen years before, and they are both still angry and hurt. Unfortunately, Brandons ward has found Kate first, and even an optimistic reader can see that this wont end well for the mens relationship.

The problem I always have with mis-communication stories is that I find myself shouting at the characters to just talk to
Annarella
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this second chance historical romance, it's got a contemporary feel and you cannot help rooting for the characters.
Kate is a strong willed woman and Brandon and interesting character.
The only fault is that sometimes it seems a story about the difficulty of communicating and you cannot help thinking "Why don't they talk ?" but I understand it's an literary device.
It's well written, engrossing and entertaining.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all
Erin
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This story of second chances definitely had its moments. Actress Kate and architect Bran are unexpectedly reunited after fifteen years. They were in love once but a betrayal tore them apart. Neither has forgotten the other, but theyre both wary of getting hurt again.

The plot took a while to get going. Almost the entire first half takes place on ONE day. Not as a narrative device with flashbacks, just a single day. But I stuck with it and the action picked up in the second half. There are also
Annette
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second chances after 15 years?

This would give one hope. What Kate went thru could've shattered her or made her stronger. This story is about finding that sound of steel and working toward her dream.
But where does Bran fit in after he hears the truth and not what he believed after all these years?
And can he support her and her dreams while his are dashed?
Loved Kate when we met her previously and I hope she and Bran will be in some more. Read it in one day because I had to see it to its end. 👍
Holly Maxwell
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this 2nd chance love story! Kate is such a strong willed women who is easy to relate to. She can hold her own in the public eye but still has a softer side when in private. Bran was the perfect match for her, steady and strong.

I enjoyed the journey of these two finding each other again and learning to trust again.

Beautifully written! Cant wait for the next book ❤
Jenna Tomlinson
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-there
Boy did I struggle to get through this one.
Though, with Rona going around stressing the world out, it was hard to find pace with the story.

Ive also been devouring some HR. Maybe its
Time for something a little different.

Ill be checking out the next book in this series whenever that comes out.
Charlotte Pawson
A story of second chances. Brandon Balfour and actress Kate Addison split 15 years ago due to misunderstandings. Trust becomes the number one issue this time around. Kate wants to follow her dream of London on the stage. Can she reconcile this with her second chance with Brandon. These are likeable characters and you feel for them through the ups and downs of second chances.
Hayley
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book. I enjoyed the book, but I do think it's a little hard to get past the distrust and accusations toward the end. I was glad though to see the perseverance that Kate had with all of her struggles.
Beth SHULAM
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF. Story was unique. Lead characters were older, which I liked. But I felt no connection to either the heroine or hero. Wanted to read the story of a secondary character which sounded much more intriguing.
Alexandria Smith
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I finished it so I wont one star it but dang this was not fun to read.
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
A third of the way through the book and the characters still hated each other and also were barely interacting. Not a fan.
Hasnamezied
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An emotional journey with great characters.
Arriesta
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Book Review- His Secret Mistress- Cathy Maxwell
His Secret Mistress is the first in a brand new, historical romance series by Cathy Maxwell, A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women novel.

As a huge fan of the Spinster Heiress series by Cathy Maxwell, I was excited to hear more about the character of Kate Addison who was introduced to us in The Duke That I Marry. Kate of course, being the sister of Matthew Addison, The Duke of Camberly(male lead in The Duke That I Marry).

His Secret Mistress
Katie
Feb 26, 2020
Virginia
Mar 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bachelor (Duke Dynasty, #2)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Never Kiss a Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #1)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Hunting for a Highlander (Highland Brides, #8)
  • An Inconvenient Duke (Lords of the Armory, #1)
  • How the Lady Was Won (The Survivors, #7)
  • Every Bit a Rogue (The Ellinghams, #4)
  • The Spinster Who Saved a Scoundrel (The Brethren #5)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • Highland Sword (Royal Highlander #3)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.

A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women (2 books)
  • Her First Desire (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #2)