Start by marking “Legion of Mono” as Want to Read:
Legion of Mono

Legion of Mono

Mono faces down the Holy Empire as it drives relentlessly toward the borders of his people. Yet even in the face of daunting odds, he holds onto their religious prophecies. Will hope reign supreme, or will Mono and his Legion succumb to their enemies?

"Legion of Mono" is C. D. Tavenor's first story released on Kindle and the first published work of Two Doctors Media Collab
Published January 29th 2019 by Two Doctors Media Collaborative LLC (first published January 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Legion of Mono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion of Mono

Start your review of Legion of Mono
Dean Jones
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story, well written

I enjoyed this and the little twists in the tale made it very enjoyable.

Battle scenes were exciting and well paced keeping you reading until the final act.

A good short story that is well worth reading
Esther
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this story a lot. It felt like the start of a a bigger story, like a 0.5 book of a series.

The flashbacks in this story gave the main character and the story itself more depth and it was also a good opportunity for the author to explain some things in this story.

It was a thrilling story to read and the war scene actually felt like a real war scene, where some books can lack tactics or action, this book had it all!
The ending was great and I think this is a great debut by C.D. Tavenor.
Tom Kean
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good way to pass an hour.

Shades of some of Tolkien’s background short stories in the LOTR universe. The writing is good and the characters relatable. Lots of. Tolkien type memes such as swords forged with special magic metal and fights on bridges over a chasm. The story is too short to know whether there’s a well developed world and system of magic behind it. There’s an interesting twist at the end. Not a bad opener for a longer novel or series.
EJ Allen
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not easy to build a captivating world with real depth in a short story, but C.D. did exactly that here. There are lessons about family, love, loyalty and duty, as well as larger concepts related to war, racism, and societal norms. The exploration is fast paced, heart felt, and beautifully written. This is an exciting tale to add to your list of reads. Very well done.
Christine
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was presently surprised by the talent of this young writer. Mr. Tavenor’s descriptive writing style kept me engaged and I enjoyed his use of symbolism throughout the story. He was able to effectively intertwine themes of faith, diversity, loyalty, sacrifice and love in this short story. I definitely recommend reading it!
Alistair Potter
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Disappointingly short.

There was some very good storytelling within this work, enough to hold my attention and place me solidly in the action, but sadly, from my perspective, there was very little story to read. To keep the story moving, mere snippets of plot-supporting time’s past were injected between the kinds of deep internalisation and description one might expect in a weighty tomb ten to twenty times the length of this work.

Added length might have helped clear up an early and forgivable ge
Anangsha Alammyan
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. The author has a way with words that keeps the reader hooked through the pages. I would have been happier had the characters been a bit more fleshed out (for starters, it took me a long while to figure out the gender of the protagonist, Mono) and the worldbuilding been focused on a bit more.

But apart from that, it was a great read for a lazy weekend, and I would definitely recommend this book to fans of medieval fantasy/war fiction.
Peter Bruyns
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A Short, but GOOD, story.

It was a pleasure reading this story. Truth to tell, I would not have started it if I had known it was so short. I hate a tease. It looks like it's a fantasy but there is not enough to say so. It could be a story told from the orcs point of view. Again, not enough story. Great potential but no substance.
Iestyn James
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Legion of Mono is a short story seeped in detail and richness. Tavenor's writing here alternates between first-person past tense and first-person present, a well-managed perspective alternation that serves to heighten the stakes and provide insight into the vast and interesting world that the protagonist inhabits.

The plot follows a commander named Mono, who commands the final legion of his army against the powerful Holy Empire. Through the past-present perspective switches, Tavenor chronicles t
Nikki Mitchell
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this short fantasy story, Mono must leave his husband and daughter in their home of Lethotar, while he–the last commanding officer alive of their army–must lead the final battle against the Holy Empire. If Mono’s force falls, all of Lethotar and its people will be subjected to the mercy (or lack thereof) of the paleskins of the Holy Empire. They have already shown their true colors by breaking the treaty forged in good faith between the two nations… Will the Lord of Light’s, Lethotar’s people ...more
Dominique
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. All views and opinions written in this post are my own.

The battle scene towards the end gave me Game of Thrones vibes. I really appreciated how descriptive the style of writing is. It really puts the reader in the characters shoes. I felt like I could imagine the scenes in such great depth thanks to the detailed writing of Tavenor.

Admittedly, in the beginning I went in with the assumption that Mono was female. So when the book
J. D. King
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Legion of Mono is a fascinating short story seen through the eyes of the titular main character, Mono. Though we’re only with him a short time, we get a glimpse of a deeper world that exists beyond the confines of the story itself; we’re given just enough glimpses of this world to ignite our imagination. Grounding it all is a tale of a husband, father and warrior taking on a monumental task. These elements, combined with the authors excellent writing style make Legion of Mono a worthwhile read.
Marian Thorpe
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Legion of Mono captures the resolve of a people's last military leader in the hours before what he knows will be a final battle. His grief at leaving his partner and their child; his pride in his family's honour; his strong bonds with his fellow soldiers: all are skillfully expressed. The author has created, in twenty-five pages, a glimpse into a world that feels solid and complete, a remarkable achievement. The ending left me wanting more, of both the world and the story.
Misha Jordan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is a very quick read and the writing is excellent. The family dynamic was a little confusing to me, but the story and the family interactions were quite compelling. This author is able to paint a picture with words. It kind of reminds me a bit of avatar in the way the setting and brief culture of these people is spread out for us, the readers, to experience.
It's the ending that really gets you though. For lovers of fantasy, I truly believe this is a story you will want to read!
C.A. Lende
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Legion of Mono quickly sets up the conflict and gets you into the mind of the protagonist. The author quickly introduces key characters through the eyes of said protagonist. We learn about the world in informative and emotional flashbacks, which also serves helpful in the coming conflict(meaning that it drives the plot further and is not just there to create emotional strings). For anyone who wants a short read that is interesting and grips you quickly, Legion of Mono is for you!
Sean Rassleagh
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shades of some of Tolkien’s background short stories in the LOTR universe. The writing is good and the characters relatable. Lots of Tolkien type memes such as swords forged with special magic metal and fights on bridges over a chasm. The story is too short to know whether there’s a well developed world and system of magic behind it. There’s an interesting twist at the end. Not a bad opener for a longer novel or series.
Andrew McDonald
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very well written short story focusing on the emotions of the main character as he fights for the lives of his home and family. The battle scene was very well written as was the emotional content. Truly, I wish the story had been longer. There was a twist at the end which was understated, yet powerful. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it.
Deepak Menon
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done indeed, C.D.Tavenor.

Very nicely written. Though a fantasy, the story has exceedingly memorable protagonists, and a thrilling plot. As a prelude to an evolving tale, it is an excellent effort! Well done indeed, C.D.Tavenor.
Alexis Ames
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this short story! Love, angst, a great battle sequence, a bittersweet but hopeful ending - just what I like to read! :)
Christopher Keene
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this in one sitting and boy do I have a lot of questions. I'm not sure if it's the nature of this being a short story but the characters called Master of 'insert specialist' don't have any more dimensions than those who were given names, this nearly applying to the main character also. The story's saving grace are the brief world building flashbacks and the battle tactics each of which I give a star for, whereas the diminishing returns of him constantly lamenting a family we barely know ( ...more
Charles Gull
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People wanting to a high fantasy short story that introduces a new epic.epic
3 out of 5 stars for this busy little fantasy short.

Read my full, spoiler free, review on my website.
Blake Johnson
Nov 25, 2019
Nicifor
May 05, 2020
Andrieka
rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2019
Kim
Jun 30, 2019
Pris
Jul 18, 2020
Michael Neel
May 08, 2019

• No Justice (Michael Sykora #1)
  • Dragon Released: Hybrid Dragons (Reclaimed Dragons Book 1)
  • A Mate to Treasure (Dragons of Mount Aterna, #1)
  • A Mate to Believe In (Dragons of Mount Aterna, #2)
  • Timber Wolf (Virtue Shifters, #1)
  • Dragon's Touch (The Dragon's Space Order Bride #2)
  • His Forbidden Mate: A Billionaire Werewolf Romance (The Shifter's Secret Society Book 1)
  • Spurr Morgan: A Western Double
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • Dead Reckoning and Other Stories
  • Forbidden Flight (Windwalker #1)
  • Kissed by Fire (Dragonkeepers, #1)
  • Remembrance  (The Descendants, #1)
  • Played to Death (Scott Drayco Mystery Series, #1)
  • Creating Places (The Art of World Building, #2)
  • This Christmas
  • Dragon's Oath (The Fablestone Clan, #1)
  • Knights of Stone: Mason (Highland Gargoyles, #1)
C. D. Tavenor is a science fiction and fantasy author based in Columbus, Ohio.

He is excited to tell stories that engage readers beyond a desire for entertainment, whether through philosophical inspiration or social inquiry. A firm believer in connecting every piece of fiction to reality, whether through their themes or their settings, he hopes his writing binds readers to the real world.

When he'