Start by marking “Treasure Island” as Want to Read:
Treasure Island

Treasure Island

Listening Length: 6 hours and 23 minutes

Audible Originals takes to the high seas to bring to life this timeless tale of pirates, lost treasure maps and mutiny, starring BAFTA-nominated Catherine Tate (The Catherine Tate Show, The Office, Doctor Who), Philip Glenister (Outcast, Life On Mars), Owen Teale (Game of Thrones, Pulse, Last Legion) and Daniel Mays (The Adventures o
Audible Audio, 7 pages
Published August 17th 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Treasure Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure Island

Start your review of Treasure Island
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this audible production of Treasure Island. I thought the cast performance was really good and helped bring the story to life. I love how Jim Hawkins meets Long John Silver and works for him. I also liked the contrast between the pirate and the English Lords chasing them. Who were the real pirates? Great classic story brought to life.
Sebastien Castell
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, adventure
At six-and-a-half hours, this Audible's adaptation of Treasure Island is longer than most audio dramas. However it's terrifically put together and well worth the time. The performances are excellent and the choices of where to put the listener in each scene were remarkably insightful.

Adapting a classic for a modern audience is always a tricky thing to do, yet Marty Ross provides an accessible retelling that accounts for our current social sensibilities without losing any of the original charm of
Sonja Arlow

This was one of the free Audible originals for August and had I not loved Pirates of the Caribbean (just to drool over Johhny Depp….) I would probably never have considered reading this classic.

I must give credit to the audio production. With a full cast of narrators and sound effects it was definitely impressive.

I also liked the fact that I can see how this book was the genesis for so many other pirate stories.

But for a tale full of pirates, gun fights, treasure, talking parrots, o
Erin
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Audiobook narrated by a full cast 6hs 23 minutes 57 seconds

An Audible original selection for August.

A dramatization of Robert Louis Stevenson's 1882 novel that tells the tale of young Jim Hawkins and his adventures on the high seas with seasoned sailors and the search for buried gold.

It's been awhile since I have read the original novel, but it certainly amused me as I putterd around the apartment this long weekend.

Goodreads review published 02/09/19
Wiebke (1book1review)
I want to say this was a good adaptation and while I liked how they turned the story into an audiodrama, but as soon as we reached the island it was so hard to distinguish the voices and characters.
Joshua Rigsby
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As far as audio adaptations go this one was pretty good. The voice actors were decent. Marty Ross cleaned up some things in the original. An enjoyable couple of hours.
Gearóid
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really excellent audio book of a classic adventure tale.
More of an audio play with multiple narrators and sound effects
adding to the atmosphere.
Highly recommend on a wintery night to just settle down and
get carried away with this old but brilliant story.
Leslie
July 2018 audiobook from Amazon free for streaming to Echo ...

Probably my scattered mental state was more to blame than the recording but I didn't care too much for this full cast "adaptation" (does this mean abridged?? I guess so)
Chad Harrison
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Excellent cast/acting. It was great getting to know the original (as much as a fully casted and produced audio play can really be the original) story that has inspired so many others. Stevenson’s writing definitely shone through.
Kim
I wish I'd read this one as a child. What an adventure!
TraceyL
Reread from childhood. This was a radio-style performance which was just OK. It's a classic so there's not much else to say that everyone doesn't already know.
Elizabeth deWolfe
This was one of the free Audible originals this month, and I was excited to get a chance to read a classic I haven't ever read. However, this was really hard to get through. The voice performances were really great, but as this was an audio drama performance rather than a narration with a cast, it was really hard to follow - there was no narrator, the voices were hard to distinguish, and I often had no idea who was talking. Add in poor volume modulation - whispers, voices in the distance, then s ...more
Scott Kuyken
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was way more entertaining than I ever expected. I tend to set the bar lower for older or classic books. Especially with pacing, they tend to be slower. But from first to last, I couldn't stop it. And maybe it was due to the dramatization of it. Perhaps it's just a really solid story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Another surprise was the humanity they gave to the pirates. How grey all the characters were, even the good guys. I guess I'm tainted by the Lord of the Rings, where everybody was
Alexander Davidson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 for content. 4 for abridged radio performance.

Kept me wanting to watch the Muppet version the whole time.
Tracy
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an Audible Original I got free with my membership. I really enjoyed the performance and the story. There are sound effects and multiple actors performing the story. If you enjoy pirates, I highly recommend this!
Amy Ingalls
I have read this classic a few times, but this is the first time I have listened to it via audiobook. It was really well done, but I actually prefer reading the narrative.

This book has a special spot in my heart-- I read this around the campfire to the kids on a big family camping trip years ago, and my children still love it and still remember listening to me read it out loud. Even when they were old enough to read to themselves, I still read to them-- there is something kind of magical about s
Alan Teder
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight! Squawk!"
(Update May 2020) Review of the Audible Studios audio dramatization (2017) by Marty Ross of the Treasure Island (1883) original

Probably a [3} but earns a {4} for the expanded role of Long John Silver's parrot Captain Flint.

Actor/producer Marty Ross has done another* excellent audio production in this adaptation of the classic Robert Louis Stevenson pirate story which is reasonably faithful to the original. The adaptation requires expanded inner narratio
Kathryn
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm not going to lie. This book is boring. I know it's really old, a classic, so naturally, one should keep in mind pacing was different back in the 1800's. Even so, with a full dramatization complete with sound effects and different narrators for different characters, I would have hoped for something more interesting.

The only part I really liked was the relationship between the main character and Silver (aka Barbecue?). That was legitimately the only compelling aspect to this story because I wa
Nedelina
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Treasure Island is one of my first favourite books and it has stayed a favourite almost 20 years after I first read it. I have such found memories of my original copy of the book and my firs read. This is a book I will always treasure and love.
This is the book that made me fall in love with adventure, pirates, bold characters and redeemable villains. This book thought me that it is okay to be scared and that even if you are, you can still be brave. It also thought me that there isn't just good o
Carol Arnold
As a senior citizen, I'm ashamed to say I had never read this before! Audible did a good job in presenting a dramatic version of the book but I was not able to understand all that was said. It was not enough of a problem to limit my understanding, just a small annoyance from time to time. Classic adventure story.
Laura Smith
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Seriously, this was terrible. I’m not sure if it was just because of this over the top theatrical version that Audible did or if I just found the story dead boring or both but either way it was complete torture to listen to.
Wesley Crump
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: everything-else
I listened to this book on audible and it was great! The version I listened to was adapted to be more like a play with no cues and background noise (waves, swords, gunshots) It was a great way to listen.

Love the plot of Treasure Island. It’s nice to know where Long John Silver came from too.
Eddie D. Moore
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this was downright scary. The pirates were frightening. I hate that Long John Silver got away. His character was never redeemed to me. I still wanted him dead for the murder and other things he did in the story.
Becky
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audible was great! I enjoyed listening to this wonderful classic of a great adventure. I personally needed faces, not just voices. Those pirates sounded so much alike., I kept having to rewind to clarify each character.
Nate
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
Always wanted to read this and finally got around to it. Great production from Audible, and I can see why this is a classic.
James
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice adaption of a classic story. While not quite as good as some of the BBC radio dramas (like Neverwhere) it is fun and the cast is great.
Jeff Harris
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, audible
Performances were good, was tough at time to distinguish some of the characters but Captain Silver was great, which helps this story alot.
Shreya Chandwadkar
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliant narration of an engaging story
This is a dramatization, so you do feel like you're in the story with Jim, listening to the sea roar, seagulls and silver's parrot squawking in your ear.
Tyson
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Great performances by the voice actors, however the pacing was... Inconsistent from very slow to 'wait what just happened?'. I found this particular audio drama was a bit hard to follow at times, requiring 100% focus and a few rewinds to catch up on it. A good, classic story with a very immersive listening experience, but maybe not the best way to 'read/listen' to the story. 2.5*/5
Christopher
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
An entertaining radio drama of the classic pirate novel. Like most radio dramas, it eschews a narrator character in favor of exclusively speaking parts. That invariably creates problems in action scenes bit this one handles it better than most. Instead of a character stating "There is my sword, I am running to pick it up" another character will offer "There's your sword, why don't you run to pick it up?" followed by light sound effects. It works overall though there are some misses. Sound effect ...more

• The Life and Times of Prince Albert