Start by marking “I Hope You Get This Message” as Want to Read:
I Hope You Get This Message

I Hope You Get This Message

Seven days. Seven days. The Earth might end in seven days.

When news stations start reporting that Earth has been contacted by a planet named Alma, the world is abuzz with rumors that the alien entity is giving mankind only few days to live before they hit the kill switch on civilization.

For high school truant Jesse Hewitt, though, nothing has ever f
Published October 22nd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Get This Message, please sign up.
Annie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Farah Rishi Walaikum asalaam! Thank you so much for your kind words.

Walaikum asalaam! Thank you so much for your kind words.

To answer your first question, one of the three protagonists is a young Pakistani-American Muslim boy, but I would not classify my book as a Muslim scifi novel; to be specific, it's YA contemporary with grounded scifi elements (i.e., the existence of the hyper-intelligent aliens). As for book availability, I'll try to answer as soon as I have more information! :) (less)

Start your review of I Hope You Get This Message
Chaima ✨ شيماء
[rips your door off of the hinges] DID SOMEONE MENTION GAY SCI-FI?
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of the two books in the Owlcrate October box! Click on GOODIES LINK to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I thought this book was good!! I loved how things mostly came together at the end!! Jesse ended up being my favorite character because of the wolves 😉🐺

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Full review to come. For now, I’ll just say that if you liked We Are the Ants then this is the book you need to read next.
Farah Rishi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
SHRUGS. I dunno, I mean, it IS a book I worked pretty hard on, so I will shamelessly give Past Farah five stars. You did good, kid. You tried your best. And that's enough in my (proverbial) book.
R.F. Kuang
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So...this was really. flipping. good.

Long RTC. Put this one on your TBRs, you won't regret it.
ellie
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
UPDATE: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS GAY SO IM EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ IT NOW

holy shit this cover is so beautiful!! look at it!!
Benjamin
May 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I hope you get how much I need this book in my life.
Sahil Javed
i will support pakistani authors till the day i die.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I finally finished this after over two weeks, i think. And I just? I don't have words for that ending? It's so tender but it broke my heart in a way i can't pinpoint. What exactly happened to get such a visceral reaction out of me? i'm not sure.
Noa ☾
3.5/5

It reminded Adeem of one of the poems his sister had shared with him once, one by Rumi. In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life’s usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one’s eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, “Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

tw : suicide attempt (in the past, not depicted), mental health issues,

Some books just stick with you for/>

Some

♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I don’t normally read Science Fiction... ok that’s a lie. I don’t read Science Fiction. But this seems less Science Fiction and more contemporary which I also don’t read a lot of... but the synopsis really sells it to me.
Amy (libraryofamy)
DNF on page 114.

I hate, hate, hate when I purchase a new release, read it right away, and dislike it so much that I can't even finish it. It feels like such a waste of money.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this book. It's a really interesting premise, and the writing style was noticeably lovely. However, I was incredibly bored.

I do not care about any of the characters. I wanted to, but I didn't. Each time it switched to new POV chapter, I couldn't remember the personality of that characte
TL
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story well enough (real life kept interfering with my reading time for various reasons). Part of the ending had me smiling, ther part felt "Meh" about.
Emily Berge
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This book. I don't have words for how much I love it.

It's beautifully written, laced with sadness, and anger, and most of all hope. Farah Naz Rishi is a simply incredible writer. This book is important. I can't wait for more people to read it.
Neville Longbottom
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, lgbtqia
4.5 - An alien planet has sent a communication to Earth saying they’re going to exterminate humanity in seven days. Jesse, Cate, and Adeem’s paths cross as they’re trying to get to unfinished business before the supposed end of the world.

This is definitely a sci-fi story that is more about the characters and their emotional journeys rather than the aliens themselves. It’s probably an overused comparison at this point, but if you enjoyed Shaun David Hutchinson’s We Are the Ants, then I’d say to give
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Are we all so excited for the release of I Hope You Get This Message? Because frankly, we need to be. This is the possible-end-of-days book I have been dying for. I love the concept, but in the books I have read, the execution hasn't quite met my expectations. Not so here! The author really nails all the chaos and conteof Iall />
OonaReads

If aliens sent a message to Earth and told us that the entire human kind would be eradicated because of our behaviour on the planet, I would simply think ‘that’s fair’
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
omg this book 😭🖤 i didn’t want it to enddd and i have so many questions but in the best way
Anniek
Actual rating: 3.5

This book deals with an impending judgment from an alien species that will decide if humanity gets to live or die. Which is a very interesting take on apocalyptic stories, because usually it's about chance and bad luck rather than another species deciding we as humanity have failed and deserve to die. And for the most part, I thought the way this was explored in the book was really interesting as well. The storylines of the three main characters combine in an intere
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“But the thing about the end of the world was this: either everything mattered, or nothing did.”
I Hope You Get This Message is a fantastic story with hope and a bit of heartbreak at its core. If you’re in the market for a sad and uplifting book, look no further. When Earth decodes a message from a distant planet, Alma, warning of an impending apocalypse in 8 days 3 teens converge as they’re each looking for answers or at least something to keep them sane.

Things I Liked
I absolutely loved getting to see the
Bethany
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
"Your pain is where the light enters you." (adaptation of a quote from Rumi)

I Hope You Get This Message is a book about trauma and brokenness, but also about hope. If you found out that aliens were going to destroy the world in a matter of days, what would you do? What would the people around you do? And how might you seek closure or redemption? In this book, debut author Farah Naz Rishi explores these questions through the perspectives of three teenagers whose lives end up intersect
The Nerd Daily
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Vinny MS

It’s seven days before the world ends due to an impending alien invasion and our three characters try their best to deal with it in their own ways. Adeem tries to seek out his runaway sister, Cate tries to find the shadow of a father she never met, and Jesse tries to find a way to get him and his mother out of debt. But maybe, these three strangers weren’t that different, as the three of them seek nothing but the truth for their u
Yousef
Nov 15, 2019 added it
20% DNF
Don't mess with psychological issues if you can't 100% navigate these areas accurately.
And tbh part of this DNF on me, I didn't know its Sci-Fi and it's just not for me.
Leo
May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m here for the sci-fi and the queer 🏳🌈. ...more
Giulia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
"To the aliens,
Don’t bother coming here. Humans taste awful."

TW: bullying, schizophrenia, islamophobia, racism, homophobia, attempted suicide

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕

Actual rating: 2.5 ⭐

My friend, hear me out.
There is no other way to say it: this one was very simply not for me. This book bored me to death.
And that makes me feel so incredibly sad.

I do not know why, but I felt so absurdly detached from these characters and I was so completely disinterested in their adventur/>Unpopular
Stephanie Gillespie
Arc provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.
Glasstown Entertainment
This book is simply something else. Funny, sweet, heartfelt, delightful, and wonderfully sad. Farah Naz Rishi is an incredible debut - and a strong voice to watch.
USOM
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

TW: a past of self harm

I Hope You Get This Message is, unsurprisingly, a message of hope. But it's even more than that. Set in a SF setting, I Hope You Get This Message is quiet, introspective, character driven. It's about family and forgiveness in the shadow of the end of the world. I Hope You Get This Message begins with a trial. With deliberation and potentia
The Artisan Geek
Dec 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
22/12/18
Mentioned this book in one of my sketches :).

9/12/18
Oh my gosh, this is a scenario I have always thought about, us living in some sort of simulation and I am so happy that this book is coming out! I can't wait to read it!!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Mariam
Nothing but love <3

ARC provided by Edelweiss
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Ellie and the Harpmaker
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Technically, You Started It
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
Farah Naz Rishi is a Pakistani-American Muslim writer and voice actor, but in another life, she’s worked stints as a lawyer, a video game journalist, and an editorial assistant. She received her B.A. in English from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, and her love of weaving stories from the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she’s not writing, she’s probably hanging out wit ...more