Start by marking “I Hope You Get This Message” as Want to Read:
I Hope You Get This Message

I Hope You Get This Message

Seven days. Seven days. The Earth might end in seven days.

When news stations start reporting that Earth has been contacted by a planet named Alma, the world is abuzz with rumors that the alien entity is giving mankind only few days to live before they hit the kill switch on civilization.

For high school truant Jesse Hewitt, though, nothing has ever felt permanent. Not the
Published October 22nd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Get This Message, please sign up.
Annie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of I Hope You Get This Message
Chaima ✨ شيماء
[rips your door off of the hinges] DID SOMEONE MENTION GAY SCI-FI?
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of the two books in the Owlcrate October box! Click on GOODIES LINK to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I thought this book was good!! I loved how things mostly came together at the end!! Jesse ended up being my favorite character because of the wolves

Happy Reading!

Mel
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Full review to come. For now, I’ll just say that if you liked We Are the Ants then this is the book you need to read next.
Farah Rishi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
SHRUGS. I dunno, I mean, it IS a book I worked pretty hard on, so I will shamelessly give Past Farah five stars. You did good, kid. You tried your best. And that's enough in my (proverbial) book.
R.F. Kuang
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So...this was really. flipping. good.

Long RTC. Put this one on your TBRs, you won't regret it.
ellie
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
UPDATE: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS GAY SO IM EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ IT NOW

holy shit this cover is so beautiful!! look at it!!
Sahil Javed
i will support pakistani authors till the day i die.
Benjamin (The Maniac)
May 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I hope you get how much I need this book in my life.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I finally finished this after over two weeks, i think. And I just? I don't have words for that ending? It's so tender but it broke my heart in a way i can't pinpoint. What exactly happened to get such a visceral reaction out of me? i'm not sure.
Amy (libraryofamy)
DNF on page 114.

I hate, hate, hate when I purchase a new release, read it right away, and dislike it so much that I can't even finish it. It feels like such a waste of money.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this book. It's a really interesting premise, and the writing style was noticeably lovely. However, I was incredibly bored.

I do not care about any of the characters. I wanted to, but I didn't. Each time it switched to new POV chapter, I couldn't remember the personality of that
Noa ☾
3.5/5

It reminded Adeem of one of the poems his sister had shared with him once, one by Rumi. In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life’s usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one’s eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, “Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

tw : suicide attempt (in the past, not depicted), mental health issues,

Some books just

♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I don’t normally read Science Fiction... ok that’s a lie. I don’t read Science Fiction. But this seems less Science Fiction and more contemporary which I also don’t read a lot of... but the synopsis really sells it to me.
Yesenia Juarez
Blah, the writing was hard to read. Boring
TL
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story well enough (real life kept interfering with my reading time for various reasons). Part of the ending had me smiling, ther part felt "Meh" about.
Claire
I Hope You Get This Message is overall an okay but forgettable read. It tackles some interesting issues, but doesn't really deliver a powerful message or gives a conclusion and/or closure for the main characters, which makes an already uneventful story rather underwhelming. It's really just a contemporary coming of age story with scarce mentions of aliens and destruction of the human race.

If We Are the Ants was right up your alley, I'd definitely suggest giving this a chance, though.

Emily Berge
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This book. I don't have words for how much I love it.

It's beautifully written, laced with sadness, and anger, and most of all hope. Farah Naz Rishi is a simply incredible writer. This book is important. I can't wait for more people to read it.
OonaReads

If aliens sent a message to Earth and told us that the entire human kind would be eradicated because of our behaviour on the planet, I would simply think ‘that’s fair’
Neville Longbottom
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2019
4.5 - An alien planet has sent a communication to Earth saying they’re going to exterminate humanity in seven days. Jesse, Cate, and Adeem’s paths cross as they’re trying to get to unfinished business before the supposed end of the world.

This is definitely a sci-fi story that is more about the characters and their emotional journeys rather than the aliens themselves. It’s probably an overused comparison at this point, but if you enjoyed Shaun David Hutchinson’s We Are the Ants, then I’d say to
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Are we allso excited for the release ofI Hope You Get This Message? Because frankly, we need to be. This is the possible-end-of-days book I have been dying for. I love the concept, but in the books I have read, the execution hasn't quite met my expectations. Not so here! The author really
Anniek
Actual rating: 3.5

This book deals with an impending judgment from an alien species that will decide if humanity gets to live or die. Which is a very interesting take on apocalyptic stories, because usually it's about chance and bad luck rather than another species deciding we as humanity have failed and deserve to die. And for the most part, I thought the way this was explored in the book was really interesting as well. The storylines of the three main characters combine in an interesting way,
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
omg this book i didn’t want it to enddd and i have so many questions but in the best way ...more
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“But the thing about the end of the world was this: either everything mattered, or nothing did.”
I Hope You Get This Message is a fantastic story with hope and a bit of heartbreak at its core. If you’re in the market for a sad and uplifting book, look no further. When Earth decodes a message from a distant planet, Alma, warning of an impending apocalypse in 8 days 3 teens converge as they’re each looking for answers or at least something to keep them sane.

Things I Liked
I absolutely loved
Neil (or bleed)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WTF! Tapos na! An open ending! Powta!

Can't wait to buy this book kahit hardcover lol

I live for the radio antennas and communication tower on the cover!!
Bethany
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
"Your pain is where the light enters you." (adaptation of a quote from Rumi)

I Hope You Get This Message is a book about trauma and brokenness, but also about hope. If you found out that aliens were going to destroy the world in a matter of days, what would you do? What would the people around you do? And how might you seek closure or redemption? In this book, debut author Farah Naz Rishi explores these questions through the perspectives of three teenagers whose lives end up intersecting in
The Nerd Daily
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Vinny MS

It’s seven days before the world ends due to an impending alien invasion and our three characters try their best to deal with it in their own ways. Adeem tries to seek out his runaway sister, Cate tries to find the shadow of a father she never met, and Jesse tries to find a way to get him and his mother out of debt. But maybe, these three strangers weren’t that different, as the three of them seek nothing but the truth for their
Giulia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
"To the aliens,
Don’t bother coming here. Humans taste awful."

TW: bullying, schizophrenia, islamophobia, racism, homophobia, attempted suicide

Unpopular Opinion Time

Actual rating: 2.5

My friend, hear me out.
There is no other way to say it: this one was very simply not for me. This book bored me to death.
And that makes me feel so incredibly sad.

I do not know why, but I felt so absurdly detached from these characters and I was so completely disinterested in their adventures it was almost funny.
Yousef
Nov 15, 2019 added it
20% DNF
Don't mess with psychological issues if you can't 100% navigate these areas accurately.
And tbh part of this DNF on me, I didn't know its Sci-Fi and it's just not for me.
Leo
May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m here for the sci-fi and the queer . ...more
Jaye Berry
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, sci-fi
I Hope You Get This Message begins with an alien planet sending a message to earth: mankind only has seven says left before they terminate everyone. For Jesse, nothing has ever felt permanent so what does it matter that the world is ending? He comes up with a plan to make money from all the panic: a machine that can send messages to space but is really just a scam. Cate has been dealing with her mother's schizophrenia by herself for years. After the message, her mom unravels more and gives her a ...more
Stephanie Gillespie
Arc provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Winterwood
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Reverie
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Verify (Verify #1)
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Cog
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The How & the Why
  • I Know You Remember
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
Farah Naz Rishi is a Pakistani-American Muslim writer and voice actor, but in another life, she’s worked stints as a lawyer, a video game journalist, and an editorial assistant. She received her B.A. in English from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, and her love of weaving stories from the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she’s not writing, she’s probably hanging out ...more