Start by marking “A Third Proposal: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
A Third Proposal: A Short Story

A Third Proposal: A Short Story

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  61 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This short story stars Jane Austen's Bennet family in a tale of wit, wisdom, love, and brandy.

A chance encounter in an inn has unwelcome repercussions for Elizabeth Bennet's impending marriage to Mr Darcy.

And it might all be Mr Bennet's fault.

As the snow falls in Meryton, can he save the young couple's happiness?

Full of wry humour with a pinch of romance, this Prid
Published January 23rd 2019 by Lost Opinions e.U.

To ask other readers questions about A Third Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Third Proposal

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of A Third Proposal: A Short Story
Debbie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful short story told from Mr. Bennet's point of view. It's very much in the same vein as the VERY excellent Cake and Courtship. (The latter ends as Lizzy heads off to Hunsford, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume in the series.) This little tale is a lovely treat during the interim that jumps to the END of Pride and Prejudice after Jane-and-Bingley and Elizabeth-and-Darcy are betrothed, before their shared wedding day.

LOVE the inclusion of Sense and Sensibility's Mr. Palmer
Sheila Majczan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brandy and a discussion on the "merits" of marriage lead to a surprising reconsideration by one fiancé as to his love's attitude about their upcoming lifelong commitment to each other.

Mr. Bennet is stuck overnight at an inn with no beds available so he seeks solace in drink and a conversation with a fellow traveler who is willing to discuss some of the joys and trials of the married state. The next day there is a consequence no one can have expected.

The title gives the reader a hint as to where
Mark Brownlow
Jan 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Poor Mr Bennet. I do put him in difficult situations. Though it's his own fault, frankly. If he would only keep his opinions to himself and be a little slower to bring out that wit of his. But he's a kind man at heart and maybe deserves better. (Maybe.)

This is my first short story...an opportunity to have a little fun, but also to let loose with a few grand romantic gestures - perhaps I've watched too many Richard Curtis films. Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. The eternal dilemma of whether to rate your o
ana darcy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
Mr Bennet had one too many

In an inn, Mr Bennet is talking to another traveller that you may know, Mr Palmer.
Brandy and the topic of marriage is not the best combination for Mr Bennet. He just talks and talks but you never know who is listening.
Leslie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely adorable short story set between the engagement and marriage in P&P where a snow storm, a bottle of brandy and Mr. Bennet's mouth almost lead to disaster for ODC.
wosedwew
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, book-reviews
A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her. ~ W.C. Fields

Misery loves company – and so do semi-unhappily married men.

Messrs. Bennet and Palmer meet at an inn when both are stranded in their travels. A few brandies help time to pass.

The following day, Mr. Bennet arrives home in Meryton to find a house full of chaos and tears and anger. How does anyone know about his conversation at the inn?

I chortled all the way through this short story.

Drinking makes such fools of p
Teresa
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short well written enjoyable read.
This story is centered on Mr Bennett. I've always had a soft spot for this character so really liked this story. I thought the author got the character spot on. Also having him meet a character from another Austen book was brilliant. The character he picked was genius.
Madenna U
This short Pride and Prejudice short story features Mr Bennet talking about marriage with a stranger over brandy while stuck at an inn for bad weather. He is unexpectedly overheard by Darcy who starts to second guess his upcoming wedding to Elizabeth. A very insistent young lady marches over to speak to her betrothed to work out the situation - resulting in a third proposal.
Elin Eriksen
Vignette in Mr Bennet's PoV

A delightful and beautifully written vignette of poetic quality.

Mr Bennet accidentally create havoc to his favourite daughters engagement.

Heartily recommend!

Rated: Chaste
James S
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A P&P variation in short form

A very short story which in its own way was a typical variation stripped of everything but the essence of most variations.

Part 1 - Mr. Bennet is a miserable creature and must belittle something to fight back at his unfair life - Everything in life is something to make fun of and to laugh at. This is Mr. Bennet’s world view and when he stuck at a table with a stranger he says derogatory things about his favorite daughter’s upcoming marriage, his daughter and her husba
Bronwen Chisholm
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply charming

Ever since High Laurie played Mr. Palmer, he has been one of my favorite side characters in Jane Austen 's stories. To bring him together with Mr. Bennett is shear genius.
Charlene
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Short snarky tale from Mr Bennet. Takes place just before the double wedding. Tale is only about 10 pigs.
lori huff
Wonderful

Another witty story written from the POV of Mr. Bennett, by an author who knows how to assume just the right degree of sarcasm and gravity. This is a real quickie, and concerns one evening that Mr. Bennett spends waiting out a bad snowstorm at an inn, where he meets none other than Mr. Palmer of Sense and Sensibility fame. They drink brandy and converse, and Mr. Bennett says some things about marriage that, in his tipsy state, he probably shouldn't have said concerning Elizabeth 's upco
Norma J. Anderson
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute story!

(Spoiler)

Mr. Bennett, while in his cups, described what he believed marriage would be like for Elizabeth and Darcy. This caused Darcy to write Elizabeth a letter stating that maybe they should call off the wedding. This was one of the first I've read of this description, and I have read thousands. I thought it was very cute.
Joan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Avid Reader

This novella made me laugh more than once. Mr. Bennet really put his foot in it this time about the wedding of Elizabeth and Darcy. While drinking brandy and talking to a Mr. Palmer, he makes known his thoughts about the possible success of their marriage. You must read it yourself to find out how Elizabeth "handles " Darcy and her father.
Gerry Cameron
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
a delightful small thing

Very short, but a vignette on Me Bennett of Pride and Prejudice fame, in keeping with his character. Rather too many repeated Austen phrases though. But fun...
Holly
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute.

A cute short story. There isn’t much in the way of tension as the conclusion is assured, so I thought the work was kinda pointless.
Jenni Fletcher
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming, funny and a great bedtime story. I loved everything about this!
Susan
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
In this P&P variation, as the wedding of Darcy and Elizabeth approaches, words spoken by Mr Bennet have repercussions. What will be the result of this third proposal be.
An enjoyable short story
Michelle
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short but emotional

A rather interesting and emotional little interlude. A lot of brandy and bitterness lead to a conversation overheard and a problem.
Ana Macedo
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny short story! Austen style

I like the wit and humor expressed by Mr Bennet on the subject of marriage, given it was done with the help of some brandy to loosen the lips.
Christine Baglow

• A Trifling Cold: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Confined with Mr. Darcy
  • Trapped at Rosings: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Fortune and Felicity
  • Mr. Darcy's Proper Behaviour (Hot Mush # 3)
Mark is a British-born writer now living in Vienna after falling in love with his (Austrian) Elizabeth Bennet. Though his wife would probably describe him as more Edward Ferrars than Mr Darcy.

When not writing, he works as a university lecturer and journalist.

News & Interviews

“My dears,” I said, “it matters not which gown Lizzy wears. If she wore nothing but her night shift to the wedding, Mr Darcy would find her bewitching, and all the ladies of Meryton would still squawk with envy. The latter outcome being, of course, the essential purpose of the occasion, no?” 0 likes
“do not know what to think. I have a father who condemns marriage as the equivalent of an excess of drink and believes my affections to be as fickle as the weather. And a gentleman who claims to love me, but who is so easily swayed by a disapproving opinion of my constancy that he allows himself to consider diverting from a path he has sworn would be his heart’s greatest desire” 0 likes