Start by marking “Grimm Memorials” as Want to Read:
Grimm Memorials

Grimm Memorials

Far from the concrete and steel of Boston, the town of Northwood nestles beneath the summit of Mount Sugarloaf. The quiet community seems like the perfect place for Steve and Diane Nailer to raise their family of two children, with a third on the way. Their new home is perched on the edge of a forest. A trail through the woods leads to an old Victorian mansion that once ho ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 433 pages
Published June 7th 2005 by Pinnacle (first published June 5th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Grimm Memorials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimm Memorials

mark monday
Mar 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Once Upon A Time I thought maybe I would be getting a clever and probably over-the-top horror updating of The Witch versus Hansel & Gretel but instead I got a a terribly written and very irritating story of an old woman whose powers are way too strong yet who is also way too pathetic and a family that is obnoxious and repulsive and cardboard and and there's way too much pointless backstory and droolingly depicted sex scenes and way too many parentheticals and in general the writing is grindi ...more
Evans Light
I wanted to like this book. The authot demonstrated mastery of the English language beyond many of his peers and the book is well edited, especially for a horror paperback published during this period.
Unfortunately the author didn't show restraint in demonstrating his mastery of English, and the resulting prose is thick and turgid, overly descriptive, telling, not showing each and every minute detail of setting and action regardless of relevance.
The characters are lost somewhere inside this rich
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
So very good. Dark and warped just like the original Grimm fairly tales before they were watered down for kids.

And so maybe you can't reread books and love them as much as you did originally the same way you can't go home again. Or maybe it's just me. I loved this one back in the day. Now I've revisited it, seemed like an appropriate October read to get in the spirit, and it just didn't sing to me the same way it once did. Mind you, for what it is, it's good. Gates takes the already disturbing a
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3 AND 1/2 STARS

This book is a great example of an author needing an editor. There was no need for this book to push nearly 450 pages. Many scenes and character's actions were repetitive and slowed down the momentum of the story. How many times do I have to read about the witch stumbling in pain, dizzy, and then for her to find her inner strength and continue?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the heck out of this book, but it could have been better with a little trim of 50 - 75 pages. Granted, this
Grace
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yes, this book is very disturbing and graphic...but it's also phenomenal! I loved the immense use of imagination Gates uses to incorporate all the nursery rhymes and how he turns them evil. Clearly a lot of people aren't probably going to like this book because of the gore and sometimes perverse scenes but if you are willing to get past that, you'll love it!
prizmball
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up on a whim. Initially it had almost a V.C. Andrews type feel to it. Then it got hellacious! It is fantasy and horror wrapped together in a sleeping bag, in the woods in a cave!
It will scar your brain.
Sommer
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read scary gory horrifying books all the time...THIS one stuck with me. It seems nothing is taboo to Gates and that makes this book one hella read!! Horror psuedo-fairytale style where every creature of your fairytale days, be it good or bad is evil, and are out to torment the children to death! Highly recommended if you understand, it's a book! A story! Don't take it so seriously! ;) Cheers all!
Anthony
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing as hell!!! One of my all time favorites. A true Horror tale. I first read it back in 1994, but it still haunts me to this day. Mr. Gates has no mercy on his characters. This book also has one of the most revolting villains ever.

According to the author's Facebook page.,,he is working on another GRIMM book. It should be out in 2017. Working title is - GRIMM BEGINNINGS.
Andy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback, horror
Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull
While I do not speak from first hand experience, I understand the original Brothers Grimm fairy tales were quite genuinely creepy; before they were watered down and rendered politically correct. Gates seems to have an excellent grasp on what I imagine the original tales must have been like. His wicked, child-eating witch Eleanor is perfect. I did not find the gore to be over the top, but there were a few scenes that were notably disturbing. Gates does a wonderful job portraying Eleanor throwing ...more
Kelly
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
My sister handed me this book and said, "It's weird. I want to know what you think of it." How could I resist?

This is the first flat out Horror novel I've read in a long time, and boy howdy, was it freaky. The concept was awesome though, because it combined elements of Grimm's Fairy tales, Hans Christian Anderson, Mother Goose, and other familiar fantasy characters--in a HORROR novel! The speculative elements were awesome, as were the specific parallels to Hansel & Gretel.

It was also the fir
Michelle
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got this book with a bunch of others from a library sale. I always make sure I read every book I get at least once. When I first picked this up, I thought it would be another run of the mill, horror book, that played by the rules, and the good guys walk away smiling. I was soo pleasantly surprised! It broke every dull rule, and pushed the limits so many other authors stick to. No one is safe, and thats just the way real life is. Of course this book is vividly graphic, and isn't for the sentime ...more
Niki Rotheneder
May 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: entertainment
Whatever merit the idea has of bringing a fairy tale witch into the modern world, is wiped ou by this novel's approach to telling the story. Now I am not queasy about violence and sex in fiction, but there are certain limits that I think no story should cross.
Describing the horrific murder-torture of several toddlers in minute detail is such a limit.
Tiffany L.
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
got sucked in by this book, but be warned it is very demended and graphic. About a witch that kills kids and is able to get into peoples minds and make them think what she wants them to think.
Brandon
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grimm Memorials!!!

Holy WOAHHHHH!

What a great book. This may be the last one I get to read and review in 2017, and as such, I couldn't be happier to close the year out with such a stellar choice.

Grimm Memorials was put on my radar by several of my online friends at the Facebook group, Books of Horror, who generally have never steered me wrong. They certainly haven't here either, as this is pretty much everything I am looking for in a read.

R. Patrick Gates' second and arguably most well-known nove
Caleb Golden
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
The only reason I'm not giving this book a solid 4-star rating is the amount of typos. I don't know if this is a problem exclusive to the Kindle version or what, but there were enough errors in this book to be pretty distracting at times. Aside from that, this was actually one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was very creative, there weren't really any parts that drug on too much, and for the most part, it managed to keep me guessing. It could get pretty nasty at times and really d ...more
Miranda
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really struggled to get through this book. I know the original Grimm fairytales are dark and morbid, but this book was about thirty steps OVER the line. I hated the imagery, sex scenes were unnecessary and, while I'm sure the author meant them to be disturbing, I don't think he meant to actually gross me out so much that I felt the need to literally throw the book away when I was done reading. It was pointless and didn't seem scary or evil, just perverse. They only reason I reached the last pa ...more
Ann Brubakken
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Marina Schnierer
I loved this book so much that I am currently re-reading it for the 2nd time. Gates took the premise of the well known Hansel and Gretel story and has re-written it for adults. This story isn't for the faint hearted as it does have some very grimm moments (pardon the pun). If you love fairy tales and love horror then this book is for you because it takes the two genres and mashes them up into one hell of a bedtime story...strickly for adults only of course!
Sean McBride
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
ugg. This started out promising and then devolved in the way most Leisure Horror paperback writers do. The character development was decent to begin, and then around page 50 the plot took over and the characters were completely driven by what was going on around them. They had absolutely no input as to what was going to happen to them. The issue with this is that Mr. Gates is unable to properly facilitate the horror because no decisions are being made by the characters, thus instead of being a c ...more
Craig
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This one is the grandfather of sick-out, immoral fiction. But despite the poor writing and not having any kind of social conscience, it's oddly hard to put down and surprisingly full of unrestrained imagination. This should be one of those books that ends up with a cult following over the years, despite (or perhaps because of) its TOTAL disregard for most of the rules followed by other writers, and its unlimited story-telling drive.
Ella Dominguez
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Getting ready for a reread. Then, onto Grimm reapings. Buddy read, anyone?
Tiffany Day
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
well.. OH MY is all I can really say! It was good. It was squeamishly good.
Leona
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Cheka Firefly
Jan 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2015
Sick, but dragging in the end.
Christina
Mar 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
I only read like half of it before I had to put it down... I found it too disturbing even for my taste...
Ace
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: To those who love horror, readings!

It is just fun reading...
Megan