Start by marking “The Mister” as Want to Read:
The Mister

The Mister

3.30  ·  Rating details ·  24,827 ratings  ·  3,716 reviews
The passionate new romance from E L James, author of the phenomenal #1 bestselling Fifty Shades Trilogy

Published April 16th 2019 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Mister, please sign up.

·  24,827 ratings  ·  3,716 reviews

Start your review of The Mister
Cardan Greenbriar -- long Hiatus ( i need to stop procrastinating )
Apr 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to laugh
Recommended to Cardan Greenbriar -- long Hiatus ( i need to stop procrastinating ) by: batman--yes batman
"MSN: E L James reads excerpt from her steamy new book, ‘The Mister’"
me:
description
scroll down for long review

first, Da biggest problem of them all is that how on earth has this been approved to be published?!
Who edited this? I mean couldn't she/he stop e.l james or idk edit this better...where were the publishing team? especially the editor??
After finishing reading
description
The only way someone will like this book is
(a) they r under severe debt of E.L James
(b) r under employment of E.L James
(c) r a mutual
Colleen Hoover
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I live in Texas, and with summer approaching, I thought I'd plan ahead for once. Which is a surprise in itself, because I'm very last-minute. Like that time I got pregnant with my third child, and I kept meaning to tell my husband, but I was in college and I worked full-time, so I kept putting it off and putting it off, even though I wrote it on a sticky note, but then after I gave birth, Heath was all like, "What the heck, Colleen?" Yeah, procrastination can really cause a wedge in a marriage. ...more
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"Yes. For a woman dressed in a nylon housecoat, she’s hot."

description

well i mean, at least i'll have a new joke to tell my therapist this week. dnf @30% (i tried, i swear)

_______________

*cracks knuckles*
Let's start by taking you on the journey. From start to finish 30% (i mean, i was finished by about 5% but I was raised to be a trooper and troop i did.)

When I first saw that Ms. James was launching a new standalone novel, my first thought like I assume all other people's thoughts were went to FSOG.
Andrew Shaffer
Which Stephenie Meyer book is this based on?
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
One burning disappointing frustrating star!
I got the formula of the writer. There is an ultra rich womanizer Alpha hero who f*cks everything he sees alive, a doormat, virgin, shy, introvert heroine acts like feral child and has no idea about luxuries of ordinary life( remember FSG’s Anastasia doesn’t even have an email address) and a freaking piano, too many nonsense action scenes and tadaaaa our best selling romance is ready for your service!

Anastasia turned into Alessia, thanks God I thought
A.
I one-cliked, I tried, I failed.

I really wanted to give this book a chance.

I really wanted to like it.

Nope.

Apparently, while I evolved as a reader, some things stayed just how I left them.

I am sorry to inform that this I-am-just-a-poor-innocent-blushing-serving-doormat-who-is not-worthy-of-You-a-rich-whoring-fucked-up-British-Adonis doesn’t work for me anymore in any shape or form.

I couldn’t stay another second in this poor little girl’s head, bless her heart. It got old after a few pages of
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
*1 STAR*

A few words come to mind when I think about this book such as disappointing, inadequate, mediocre, and extremely displeasing.

Look, who are we kidding here? It’s time to admit the truth – 50 Shades Of Grey was E.L. James’s one hit wonder. It is what it is. There’s no shame in stating the obvious. We’re all adults here. She became a multimillionaire from it. Rumor has it, The Mister made over $900,000 on Amazon US alone after one day. I’m sure she doesn’t give a fuck.

I’m going to try to
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 13, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry guys. I tried... I just couldn't. :| DNF @ 37%

Christy
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: 2019-audio
Well then... I think I'll stop there for now. I made it to the 20% mark and I'm not really enjoying it. The characters aren't calling to me and it's not pulling me in. Maybe I'll come back to it down the line, I have the audio, but for now, it's on hold.
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK |

LUV ARISTOCRATIC (ENTITLED) HEROES… [le sigh!]

Stand-alone.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK |
Blurb:
London, 2019. Life has been easy for Maxim Trevelyan. With his good looks, aristocratic connections, and money, he’s never had to work and he’s rarely slept alone. But all that changes when tragedy strikes and Maxim inherits his family’s noble title, wealth, and estates, and all the responsibility that entails. It’s a role he’s not prepared for and one that he struggles to face.
But
Navessa
Mar 27, 2019 marked it as nuke-it-from-the-orbit

Rich white dude dominates, sublimates, and acts as the savior to an immigrant woman with limited English language skills.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nooooooope.

Kenn Laurence
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
I CAN'T WAIT TO NOT READ THIS.
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF after I read 1st chapter!

(view spoiler)

This is the first time in my life I DNFed a book and I'm also giving 1 star for this nonsense!
My time is precious, so I won't waste them for this book...

----------------------
Edit:

Oh my Gosh. I just read this awesome review and
Tatiana
Mar 26, 2019 marked it as lost-interest
Updated 04/22/2019

This is the best review I've read so far. Not on goodreads though.

Original take

Obviously, I am never going to read this book, but based on this excerpt, I expect 1-star reviews will be comedy gold. I can't wait to see how this "Mister" dominates an immigrant whose English is not very good. Sounds so hot.

P.S. "F*ck a duck"?

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Jan 25, 2019 marked it as will-read-if-cheap-or-freebie
So British Fifty Shades of Grey then?
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

Well. Where do I start? This might get a bit long and ranty.

I was thinking about not writing anything about this. People have to make up their own minds about things anyway. And even though I shouldn't care, I'm just so disappointed about all those really bad and mean reviews I've seen on here. I can totally understand a bad-ish rating or no rating if it's not your kind of book or if some things about it bothered you. But most of those 1-star reviewers just read the book so that they could
chan ☆
Nov 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: the-worst, dnf, 2019
couldn't even get thru it for the sake of a video which is how you know this a hot dumpster fire

and not even a fun 50 shades hot dumpster fire. i'd take beyblading a tampon out the puss puss over this rich guy banging his dead brother's wife ANY day of the week
Sophia Triad
DNF
So, I have read about 25% of the book and I have to say that I have absolutely no problem with the love story. It is a typical Cinderella story with a poor naive girl who cleans houses and her rich handsome boss who is kind of a royalty and he is also a irresponsible manslut but he changes his ways as soon as he meets her.

BUT I have seriously difficulties and objections with the way the Albanians are portrayed in this book. There are many Albanians in Greece. We are both Balkans after all and
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
3 "F*ck a Duck" Stars

Okay, so this was no 50 Shades that's for sure. I mean it's on the other end of the spectrum! I can see why many readers were disappointed, this story was nothing like what I expected. In saying that I didn't hate it nor did I love it, it was just okay. A very slow, sweet love story.

I feel like I was literally dragged through the first 50%..................

photo dragging_zpsdrtvx2f1.gif

I mean, to say the pace is slow would be a HUGE understatement but it did pick up in the last 50% and I did enjoy the
Nitya
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Burn it tbh
Tianna✸loves books✸

The H
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
ETA: Turns out it's yet another rip-off. Only Poldark this time: http://jennytrout.com/?p=12561

Kinda rant thing happening here after learning some disturbing info from Twitter. Thanks Moony! Not something I normally do but... special circumstances and whatnot are deserving imo.

I've been around for some questionable publishing choices by small publishers-I'm looking at you Riptide-but I'm having a difficult time envisioning how the world Penguin/Random House had no qualms about publishing a book
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Second verse same as the first but a little bit louder and a whole lot worse!

Everybody sing . . . . .

Rose
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-read: So remember that time a long while ago when I said that if E.L. James wrote a novel that wasn't "Fifty Shades of Grey" related, I would read it?

Something tells me I'm going to regret this, but you know what? Let's go.

After reading: I think I'm stuck in my reaction between cringing and laughing. Believe the critique - this was just an all around bad experience - bad writing (including bad sex scenes, yikes), bad pacing with characters that had little to no development, excessive
Debra Anastasia
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She’s still got it. EL James grabs you by the throat and heart with equal expertise. This refreshing, gorgeous book will captivate you. Highly recommended. Maxim is dreamy and layered. Alessia is fantastic. Ride the roller coaster of The Mister. Drink wine too. Book provided to me by the author because she is kind and puts up with my weirdness.
Diana
Sorry, I am tapping out!! I just can't get past the first 5%
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I...... am as shocked as you are, friends

tw: death of loved ones (in the past), sexual themes, alcohol, human/sex trafficking, illegal immigration, abusive parents, domestic abuse, arranged marriage, guns, kidnapping, claustrophobia (locked in a trunk/boot), attempted rape.

Okay, let's split this up into good things and bad things.

T H E G O O D :
- diverse MC (Albanian, has synaesthesia)
- features consent!!!!!! we stan
- both characters are musical and play the piano (and in the audiobook
Jessica Edwards
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok

My second Book Review Vlog!! Check it out and see my two cats!!

I hate rating a book lower than 3 stars, but I have to be honest. And honest I shall be in this review.

I couldn't help but notice that a lot of readers have given this book a low rating, and I'm not going to lie, but it put me off reading this book. BUT! I've got to sympathise a little with the author here. Now, she must've felt a ton of pressure after the successful outcome of Fifty Shades of Grey to
Mwanamali
From the excerpt:

She’s fucking exquisite, the still, small voice roars in my head.

So James didn't learn that inner monologues don't need different personalities? And that rich domineering assholes are a no-no? Also white dude named after probably the most evil dude in Irish history becoming obsessive over an immigrant and is gonna be her saviour? Bruh, COUNT ME THE FUCK OUT.
Ceilidh
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
You all knew it was going to be bad, come on.

Full review here:

Is The Mister worth reading? 14 112 Feb 13, 2020 03:08PM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 137 - The Mister 3 27 Nov 18, 2019 11:04AM
Caroline and Oliver - don't think you more could have been done with them? (Spoilers) 3 40 Nov 14, 2019 08:47AM
TheEuphoricAffair: READ OF THE MONTH 2 9 Sep 24, 2019 11:39PM
Turning Pages At ...: The Mister by E. L. James 160 222 May 03, 2019 06:43AM
Deception 2 38 Apr 20, 2019 01:31PM
Romance Book Club: The Mister 1 87 Jan 24, 2019 07:15AM

• Butterfly in Frost
  • Gentleman Sinner
  • Leave Me Breathless
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Million Dollar Devil (Million Dollar, #1)
  • All Grown Up
  • Heart of the Devil (Forge Trilogy, #3)
  • Breathless (Steel Brothers Saga, #10)
  • Meet Cute
  • Regretting You
  • Luck of the Devil (Forge Trilogy, #2)
  • Beautiful Ever After (Beautiful Illusions Duet, #2)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • Arranged
  • Junk Mail
  • The Two Week Arrangement (Penthouse Affair, #1)
  • Black Sheep (Dirty Mafia Duet, #1)
All you need to know should be on here:

Please come talk to me on twitter: @E_L_James

If you are interested in the play list from either of these books - please visit my youtube channel:

“A woman is a sack, made to endure” 16 likes