Start by marking “The Opposite of Drowning” as Want to Read:
The Opposite of Drowning

The Opposite of Drowning

Harry Sargent hates his job in publishing, his life in New York City, and his motley collection of disreputable best friends. Making everything worse? He's about to turn 50 and has a crush on the much-younger woman his company just hired to move them into the digital age.

At 27, Elizabeth Anne Abgral loves her job, her life, and maybe even her fiancé. But no one can have it
Published April 23rd 2019 by Avian30

To ask other readers questions about The Opposite of Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Opposite of Drowning

Start your review of The Opposite of Drowning
Skye Kilaen
Love this queer f/m May-December workplace romance where he’s bi and it’s not a source of conflict - balm for my bi heart!! McRae and Maltese bill their work as “Happily Ever Afters for Difficult People With Complicated Lives” and this one certainly lives up to that billing - and I mean that as a compliment. McRae & Maltese are some of the best writers in romance for showing characters making totally understandable bad choices, and then having to seriously grapple with the consequences of those ...more
Lynne
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Harry is a mid-career editor and minor travel writer. Elizabeth is a digital strategy consultant brought in to update the publishing firm's marketing.

This is a May-December workplace romance set in the publishing industry. This is a great example of how NOT to do a squick-worthy version of these tropes.

Harry and Eliza are fully-rounded, understandable characters that are struggling to feel like they individually fit in their own worlds, just as they realize that they fit :together: despite all
Becca
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maltese & McRae have done it again. They excel at creating fully-formed, interesting, complicated characters whose stories draw you in. This book was delightful, especially because it wasn't full of the overdone tropes of so many romance novels. Eliza is independent, accomplished, and successful in her own right. As such, she doesn't allow Harry to slide with respect to his various disaster--especially in how he treats their relationship and her.

Maltese and McRae show a grown-up relationship wit
Bh913
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing take on the traditional romance--especially one that tackles both an age difference and a workplace romance. This is modern and also timeless in its elegance. The characters come to life in ways that Maltese and McRae continue to excel at creating. Add in some magic, and you have a delightful book you won't be able to put down!
Ani
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
this book read like a cookbook without pictures. pieces without jam pushed together in the hope of making a tart. a storyline that could have disturbed, several attempts at nine foot pole feeling that fumbled. I read it all, but ... even a few snatches toward mysticism...was it ironic? Or just inept.

sorry but...
Rebecca
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I'd actually hoped this romance between a grumpy editor and a neurotic marketing consultant would be slightly more supernatural inflected than it was (which the cover copy kind of implied), but it's absolutely charming anyway. (Disclosure: Maltese is an acquaintance.)
Jessica
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books, romance
This whole book was a delight. Grounded, flawed, characters that felt so real grappling with grief, ambition, and a messy relationship, a dash of magical realism connected to the myth of the drowned city of Ys. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes their romance a bit off the beaten path.
Anton Prosser
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An extraordinary story about people choosing to find happiness despite all those "shoulds" they grew up with. There's a lot of wonder in this, and excellent characters, and Harry does not get easily off the hook for making terrible choices.
Gloria Wenman
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel was like a jigsaw puzzle of life. First you needed to sort all the pieces, then start to fit them together. The characters had a difficult time which in turn affect me the reader. I found it a bit long winded and wanted it to speed up, but no, it took its own sweet time. So frustrating. At times I nearly gave up reading it, but instead just gave myself space then went back to it... Took me 9 days instead of my normal 2-3 days to read a novel. I nearly gave it a 3 star, but decided on ...more
Nicole Normand
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book discounted on Amazon via BookBub; this is my honest review.
-First the editing needs another pass. I didn't take a star off because it wasn't too distracting, but it still needs another pass: wrong words, too many/not enough words.
-I love May/December love stories and I like mythical stories too. The mythical sides could have been a bit more exposed in my opinion since Eliza was supposed to be Dahut.
-This is an office romance with depth, passion, paranormal aspects, and love. It
Lauren
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was really excited for this book. I was confused in parts and some of the things they threw in I didn’t understand. This was a weird read for me🤔
alaspoorghost
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall, very enjoyable. The characters have clear history and interest in each other, and their interactions feel natural. I like, also, that they try to see each other as who they are in the now, with all their flaws, and not as the people they should be or that they expect them to be. And yet, at the same time, both they themselves are flawed in what they see, and are flawed people themselves.
(small spoiler)
I wish the subplot of Harry's friend's illness had been warned for before I picked up
Trena
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sometimes I think what did I miss.
I found this overlong and tedious.Just wanted it to deveop in to some thing
Jamie
Tina
Jessica Gomez-Lopez
Janelle

• Regretting You
  • Kiss Me Again (Kiss Me, #3)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • My Husband, My Stalker
  • Altogether (It's Complicated, #1)
  • The Roommate
  • Love at First Fight
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Protégé
  • My Bestie's Ex (The Rooftop Crew, #1)
  • If I Never Met You
  • Let Go (Suncoast University, #1)
  • Kiss Me Not (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • The Tie That Binds
  • The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)
  • The Kissing Challenge
  • Kiss Me Tonight (Kiss Me, #2)
Erin McRae is a queer writer and blogger based in Washington, D.C. She owns several pieces of paper from distinguished universities, including a Master’s degree in International Affairs from American University, which qualify her to have lengthy and passionate discussions about the microeconomics of Tunisia. She also engages in lengthy and passionate discussions about military history. She likes t ...more