Start by marking “Come Drink With Me” as Want to Read:
Come Drink With Me

Come Drink With Me

A Dragon, a Phoenix, and an Opera House.

Bonds that transcend time, loyalties that defy hardship, and the magic of the places we call Home.

(Wherein a Dragon and a Phoenix make their living on earth in an Opera House.)

An Aromantic Chinese Fairytale.
Published February 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Come Drink With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Drink With Me

Start your review of Come Drink With Me
Skye Kilaen
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-genre-fantasy
Mini-review: I highly recommend this aromantic Chinese fairytale about two immortal beings - a dragon and a phoenix, passing as humans - who make their living at an opera house. Love to see representation of queerplatonic relationships, and Kan did a great job biting off just a small little bit of story and doing it justice.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I was incredibly fortunate and privileged to read this before release!
But I adore this; this spoke to my soul and my heart, and I love it so much.

- It's a Chinese fairytale that integrates mythology and Chinese opera into its setting! And it's so delightful and magical.
- Follows a Dragon and Phoenix and the beautiful and powerful bond they share.
- It's about how powerful bonds can be, and how they can transcend time, space, and the physical plane. I loved these sort of themes, so this? really
Claudie Arseneault
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful story with evocative writing and full, textured characters. I loved it and if you're looking for platonic bonds that transcend everything, this is a good place to start. <3 ...more
Quartzen
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely short story about friendship between two immortals living among mortals, I really liked the characters and the setting and would be happy to read more about either in the future!
skye
This was so sweet! I've never read a book set in Cantonese before, much less revolving a Cantonese opera. It reminded me a lot of period Hong Kong dramas I used to watch as a kid. I also loved the way mythology was incorporated in the story! Fire phoenixes and water dragons are practically perfect counterparts for each other, and I want more Chinese river dragons in my fantasiessss. Personally, I would've also loved to read a little more about the magic and divine gods in this world; the lush de ...more
Solly
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't have much to say because this was so short, but it was truly lovely!

This is an Aromantic Chinese Fairytale, and it's approximately what you'd expect from this description! It focuses on the queerplatonic relationship of two aromantic beings passing as humans, one a dragon and one a phoenix, who've been together for centuries. It also focuses on their home for most of the last three hundred years, a teahouse where the phoenix performs as an opera singer.

It's quick and cute and I just lov
Barry Raifsnider
A really fantastic short story! I loved the characters and the setting and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!
Kara
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons, myth, fantasy

Gorgeous descriptions of both the setting and the characters (those costumes!) and beautiful language describing the long and intense relationship the two main characters share. A feast for the senses, as they say, as you can see, hear, touch, smell and taste every detail of this opera tea house and its inhabitants.

My only question is I was confused why (view spoiler)?

Othe
Artemis
Sweet and elegant and lovely, and the perfect length for what it is. I loved the language and imagery, how the classical Chinese opera setting made it feel both grounded and ethereal at the same time, and and the way these characters' loves - for their crafts, for their home, for each other above all - were so strong and so important to them (while also being gently but insistently aromantic, which I appreciate, a lot). It has the staying power of the best kind of fairy tale.
Allison Thwaites
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is why I both love and dislike short stories. When they're written like this, I always want more. Kudos to the author for not only the aromantic representation, but also for being able to write such a pretty and vivid story. I see myself saving this one to come back to again. It seems the type where you could pick up new meanings and observations with each read.
Jess Crafts
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace-or-aro-rep
This is a lovely little short story set in a wonderful and vivid Chinese setting. The story itself is set around a tea house opera where two immortal beings pretend to be human to live out their very long lives doing things they love. Their platonic relationship spans centuries and was so nice to read. It is very short, so while I loved the characters and the idea there wasn't that much plot but I enjoyed reading it.

Rep: Chinese aro/ace MC's in a QPR
Lauren Kell
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story of the love that exists for places, professions, and people. The relationship between Gong-Teon and Sam-Leuhng was absolutely beautiful. The passion they felt for their respective callings was breathtaking and felt so familiar. We need more aromantic tales like this.
Leanne Albillar
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely lovely story, so different from anything I’ve ever read before. Wonderfully vivid descriptions, and the close bond between the characters was well established through comfortable familiarity that gave a sense of the timelessness of their friendship.
JR Dabbles
Beautifully written, the story had a good flow and the dialogue was smart. A lovely story that deserves more love. 😉
Jessie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aro-spec, yarc2020
This was so magical. Setting comes through really strongly, as does the central relationship. The care that Sām-Leuhng and Gōng-Tēon have for each other is gentle and lasting and lovely, but I also appreciate how they find that they need to care for themselves, too.
Laya
Feb 10, 2019
Kerri
Feb 09, 2019

• If It Makes You Happy
  • Being Cordial (Desert Rose Hook-Ups #2)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • Go Deep (Unexpected Lovers, #1)
  • Birthday Sex: A Sexy Short by Té Russ
  • Stolen Desire (Planet of Desire #3)
  • Forbidden Desire (Planet of Desire #4)
  • Birthday Shot
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Ghost Squad
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Swing
Michelle Kan is an independent creative based in Wellington, New Zealand. A filmmaker/videographer by daylight and author of speculative fiction by moonlight, she loves writing dynamic urban fantasy and gentle Chinese fairytales through an aromantic lens.

Michelle is passionate about the arts, exploring her cultural heritage through her creative output, and is a lover of graphic novels, video games