Start by marking “Looking West: The Journey of a Lebanese-American Immigrant” as Want to Read:
Looking West: The Journey of a Lebanese-American Immigrant

Looking West: The Journey of a Lebanese-American Immigrant

In 1960, the Badre family emigrates from Beirut, Lebanon to the United States, a dream come true for fourteen-year-old Nasib.

Nasib struggles to assimilate as a teen in Albany, New York. With limited English skills, he attempts to learn new customs, make friends, and adapt to a different culture. In Beirut, the Badre family was well-known and socially privileged. In Americ
Published February 19th 2019 by E. L. Marker

To ask other readers questions about Looking West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking West

Celeste
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding Home

This is a story of childhood innocence as it meets an inevitable new reality. That Nasib grows up while adapting to life as an immigrant gives this story that belongs to everyone the added dimensions of language barriers, family and cultural loss, and being in a world where everyone seems to know what's going on but yourself. This book is a companion to those who find themselves "outside the box" by what drives them and struggling to fit in at the expense of what they value most. A w
Linda Shapiro
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unlike memoirs that explore a particular and personal relationship or a specifically challenging period during an author’s life, Badre’s “journey” reads more like a diary – an extraordinary story of a young boy’s life of privilege in Beirut, Lebanon, his immigration to America, and the remaining years of his personal and professional life up and until his current retirement.

From the start, his uncanny memory and attention to detail allow us to see his neighborhood, his neighbors, family, friends
Anthony
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

They say that everyone has a story to tell. Yet in our current political and societal struggles, we often forget that notion, refusing to listen to anyone else’s story other than our own. That is why stories like the one told by author Albert Nasib Badre in the novel “Looking West: The Journey of a Lebanese-American Immigrant” are so important. The story of a young person born into one world wh
Crystal Otto
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking West is a memoir about Albert Nasib Badre’s journey as a Lebanese-American immigrant. I was touched by his story and drawn completely in by his storytelling. The relationship factor throughout the story helped me feel kindred with Badre (even though I’ve never left the country much less immigrated).I was drawn in from the first page:
“I was home from school for the regular two-hour lunch recess and
was wet and hungry; I certainly had no idea this would be a
pivotal day in my life. All I c
Bev
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am honoured to be part of the WOW! Women of Writing Blog Tour for Albert Nasib Badre’s moving memoir “Looking West”, which I read and am now reviewing.
(Please note: I received an advance copy to read and review.)

At age 14, Nasib Badre began a new life in America, leaving behind his life in Beirut, Lebanon. Badre writes in great detail about his daily life in Beirut, describing his large family get-togethers, school, home and shopping. It is quite a different life to what he finds in America.
Ba
Sreevarsha Sreejith
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Looking West by Albert Nasib Badre is the story of a young boy who emigrates half way across the world from Beirut to New York in search of a permanent home. For whatever reason, the issue of immigration being a touchy subject all over the world, I was instantly interested in reading this book. And I must say, I didn't regret it for a moment.

For a more detailed review, please visit, https://sreevarshasreejith.blogspot.c...
Douglas E Brintnall