Start by marking “Scapegoat: A disgraced former spy is sucked into a race against time to find out who sacrificed him – and why (Branigan Book 1)” as Want to Read:

When Branigan’s face was plastered across the front page of the newspapers he might have lost his job in the Secret Intelligence Service, but not his ability to disappear undercover.
Asked by Chloe Travers’ parents to look for their missing daughter who has written her version of his story, Branigan finds his world turned upside down.
Chloe’s parents are not who they seem,
Published January 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Scapegoat, please sign up.
Stuart Champion Hello Amanda,

Thank you for your questions.
Hello Amanda,

Thank you for your questions.
First of all, I'm delighted you enjoyed Scapegoat and they way I've portrayed Branigan and Alan; when I set out I wanted to write something a little different. Early on I found myself sitting in front of an agent who looked at my synopsis - she sniffed, curled her top lip in disapproval and shook her head, 'You can't have humour in a thriller,' she said, 'it doesn't fit the genre.'
In a nutshell, that is why I have ended up self-publishing.
I wanted to put characters who were real to me into the mad world of espionage, treason and terrorism; not the characters other people wanted me to write!
As to your questions, Branigan wrote his own aggression and thoughtful empathy. In my head, he fights fiercely to protect the people he loves and the things he believes in. I don't want to put any spoilers in here, but the events of the story dictate the fierce aggression he feels towards some of the characters, but that doesn't mean it translates to others - why would he be any different to you or me when it came to aggressively defending our family and passively showing empathy toward others?
As to Branigan's interaction with Alan, what can I say?
Alan surprised me as much as the readers.
I knew him from the moment he appeared, but not how Branigan and everyone else was going to feel towards him. The eye rolling, exasperation and silent screams the reader shares weren't of my making - I know this sounds trite, but I just wrote down what I saw whenever I put Branigan, Chloe and Alan together.
So, in answer to your second question, writing the interaction between the two of them was a joy because I didn't have to invent any of it - simply observe.

Stuart(less)

Start your review of Scapegoat: A disgraced former spy is sucked into a race against time to find out who sacrificed him – and why (Branigan Book 1)
Jo Wiles
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished this book and can honestly say that it’s one of, if not the best thriller I’ve read. The humorous parts make it such a refreshing read for a book of this genre and I was gripped the whole way through. I laughed out loud whilst reading it ... Stuart Champion’s style of writing was spot on and hilarious. Well done Stuart as I am pretty sure this is your first book!!! this book could have been written by a bestselling author!!! Can’t wait for the next one. I hope this book ...more
Nicola Champion
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Well, this had me completely hooked from the first chapter. The characterisation is brilliant, I cared for, hated and was exasperated by the very real hero's and villain's.
At times I had to force myself to read slower as I was desperate to find out what was going to happen next.
I laughed, cried and gasped out loud. Fabulous book can't wait for the next one
Colin Sanders
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertained by the intelligent plot which kept me guessing to the end. Some great characters who you’ll become invested in and grow to love. Witty, shocking, graphic and sometimes touching. I can’t wait for the follow up!
Lorraine
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Was recommended this book and extremely glad I read it.
Funny, quick read, harrowing thriller.
Loved Alan, made me laugh many times.
Highly recommend
Traci
Jul 23, 2019

• South of Evil
  • Consequential Damages
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
  • Quinn & The Dead Man's Daughter (Liam Quinn Mysteries #6)
  • The Fixer (JC Bannister, Complete Season, #1)