Start by marking “Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)

Six Sacred Swords

(Weapons and Wielders #1)

It doesn’t take a legendary sword to make a legendary swordsman, but it certainly helps.

Keras Selyrian is already well on the way to cutting his name into the annals of legend. He’s fought false divinities, thieving sorcerers, and corrupt demigods — and left them defeated in his wake. But he’s a long way from home, and Kaldwyn offers a different brand of danger than he’s u
Published February 19th 2019 by Andrew Rowe (first published February 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Six Sacred Swords, please sign up.
Andrew Yes, we're currently aiming for the end of April or early May!

Petrik
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JRPG and Arcane Ascension fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Review copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Continuously fun and light-hearted in tone, Six Sacred Swords was a great beginning to a new spin-off series by Andrew Rowe.

Six Sacred Swords is the first book in Weapons and Wielders series by Andrew Rowe. It is unknown at the moment how many books are planned for this series, but one thing for sure that you should know is that this series serves as a prequel to Rowe’s Arcane Ascensions series; a series I highly enjoyed. Some o
Bradley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, humor
By this point, (and I don't mean at the point of Dawnbreaker) I'm pretty much hooked on anything that Rowe writes. It doesn't matter anymore. My trust is always rewarded.

This here sets up a brand new series that happens to be set in the same world as Arcane Ascension but takes place quite a bit before.

What is similar?

Quests, dungeon crawling, puzzles, big action, and quirky coolness.

What is different?

Oh, nothing much, just an uber-powerful guy punching dragons and breaking the rules to the sacr
Gavin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Six Sacred Swords is listed as book 2.5 in Andrew Rowe's Arcane Ascension series but is actually a prequel to that series focusing on Keras Selyrian's early adventures on the continent of Kaldwyn. It also works as a sequel to Rowe's War of the Broken Mirrors series as Keras is really just a pseudonym used by, one of that series main characters, Taelien Salaris!

The story was actually pretty enjoyable. Taelien/Keras was telling his story to Corin and the others during a travel interlude in the Ar
Kaitlin
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this title up after having read the first two Arcane Ascension books and I am very excited about the prospect of another new series beginning in the same world. I really enjoyed those titles, and this is kind of a prequel series following one of the characters, Keras, and his journey in a new land and on a quest to gather some sacred swords. Readers of the Arcane Ascension series will recognise Keras and what he later becomes, but this is him in his own words telling his story of his pa ...more
Soima Traian
Pretty bad

The MC is supposed to be a 20 something man but he acts like a 5 year old anime character. I kept hoping that it would get better towards the end but no. Children have more mental maturity and strategy sense than him. I gave the book an extra star because it was slightly entertaining at times but NO, this book is not worth it.
Luke Chmilenko
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and fantastic!

An absolutely fun read from beginning to end! I've been crazily excited for this book since the first day I heard about it and it 100% held up in end! Now I'm excitedly awaiting the others!!
Andrew Lukyanenko
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story, loved it!
My only qualm is the dissonance between Keras personality as he was described in previous books and in this one.

Also his reluctance to hurt enemies, even when he is in danger.
Calvin Park
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Six Sacred Swords by Andrew Rowe is the first book in a new series set in the same world as his War of Broken Mirrors series and his Arcane Ascension series. It is set as a sort of interlude that takes place directly following the ending of On the Shoulders of Titans the second book in the Arcane Ascension series. Having said that, you could read Six Sacred Swords without having read Arcane Ascension, though the first chapter will thereby include some implicit spoilers. This makes it seem like a ...more
Micperk
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, I'm a huge fan of the Arcane Ascension series so when I saw this up for grabs on my kindle I knew it wouldn't be too long before I read it. This book is based in the same world as his other books and is a great addition to the overall scope of the world he's created. This is definitely a book that you should know what to expect before making a purchase on though. This book is heavily influenced by RPG games and even gives off anime vibes. A few examples - magical swords that talk, myster ...more
Ken
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Unlike the Arcane Ascension series, this book didn't quite do it for me.

1. You know Keras will survive to meet with Corin, so there is no real threat in the story
2. Keras is already pretty powerful, able to defeat a dragon and nightmare spirit, so there is not much growth to his powers unlike Corin and gang.
3. The romance parts with Reika and Dawn reminds me of harem stories
4. The choices that Keras makes don't make sense

It's a light-hearted read with some geeky references and even though I didn
RodTheWay
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
you get to choose 1 boon.
-fully healed body
-enhanced protection vs cutting aura
-legendary items
or
-give a 20min old spriritual construct the illusion of being alive and keep her prisoner within a small area of the shrine + give her a fake brother.
(Crystal : Ahh you have good values...you remind me of my creators)

I'm almost puking
his choice was disturbingly retarded (like school kids sniffing glue)
the crystal being's praises were sickening (both characters are the author...so he is congratulating
Sharkie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't like big, brawny dudes and awesome, romance-loving dragons being badass and fighting?

I sure as hell love it.

Getting a glimpse behind the veil that is Keras is interesting, fun, and a good bit of story telling and world building.

I wasn't as in love with the fact Keras is telling this to the SAM crew, but that was easy to overlook and didn't detract from the story.

Overall, very good story. Very enjoyable.
Jonathan Wilson
4.25 Stars
terpkristin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, a side series for Arcane Ascension. This book starts to tell the stories of the 6 magical swords in the world of AA. This book reminds me a bit of an upcoming game called Boyfriend Dungeon. In that game, you take weapons on "dates" by using them through dungeons (that are basically malls with enemies). In this story, there was a sentient weapon that seemed to enjoy flirting with the main character...and, of course, fighting.
Schuyler
3.5 stars. This felt....a little forced. I expected a unique story for this character, but he was written very similar to Corin when he is supposed to be his own character. There were some fun battle scenes, the addition of a dragon partner and sentient sword was quite amusing. Realistically though, after he died almost a zillion times, you would think he would at least recover before taking on worse odds as each battle is harder and he is weaker (yet he somehow wins them all?)
Ross Coulbeck
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad the LitRPG genre is evolving. It's a lot of fun and this is a prime example. It expands on the character of Keras from the Arcane Ascension series, and gives us some much needed backstory.

It had everything I could ask for, magic, dungeons, dragons, sentient swords, and a hell of a lot of humour.

Can't wait for more.
Louis Kalman
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not for me
Joe Herod
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun Segue from Rowe's other two series. Light-hearted , doesn't take itself too serious. All in all, just a fun story.
John
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Arcane Ascension and War of Broken Mirrors series, but this book I just couldn't get into.

The main character seems so high and mighty, and wasting opportunities for growth or to save others for very short-sighted decisions. I really enjoyed the main character when he showed up in the other books.
Maren Johnson
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did I just read a book about a guy who runs around with his buddies who happen to be a talking sword and dragon who loves romance novels?
Was that guy just absolutely ridiculous sometimes because he was just so ridiculously good and honourable?
Did not all that much happen really besides Keras kicking everybody’s trash?
Was my all time favourite POV character of all existence in this book for a smidge? And did I cry at every mention of this love of my life Corin?
Did I actually like this book?
The
AliceAnn
I won this book from the Goodreads Giveaway, and this is my honest review. I do want to say that I loved winning the kindle copy, because I received it the very day I won it, rather than having to wait at least 6 books for the physical book to arrive in the mail.

I give this book a solid 4 star rating. I really like the main character, Keras, especially for his integrity and his willingness to help out his friends, even if it's to the detriment of his own well-being. I also enjoyed reading about
R.J. Triveri
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure how to go about this one. I love Rowe's work, and Six Sacred Swords is a fun, fast read. It's an adventurous romp in a fantasy world I've come to love with a new spin. My biggest problem comes with the nature of it.

This book takes place after the second War of Broken Mirrors book and before Sufficiently Advanced Magic. That means there are spoilers for the War of Broken Mirrors that hopefully won't lessen the series's enjoyment for me.

(view spoiler)
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit like when George Lucas did Episode 1...

Love the first two books in the series and all of the characters, but had to deduct a star (nearly 2) for all of the cheesiness in this one. I can't help thinking that the the first 2 books in the series were like the first 3 star wars movies (episodes 4 to 6) - they're action packed, enthralling from the start and still a little light hearted, but without being too cheesy. This book, the third of the series, is more like Episode 1 of star wars... Its s
John Mendiola
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arcane Ascension but more dungeons and Keras

So this book is closer to a 3.5 for me. It wasn't a very long book but felt longer due to how much time was spent on the two dungeon areas. I really enjoy the spires portion of the other series so I'm surprised that this dragged. I guess when the book only has that, it tends to wear thin.

The tone of this book is far lighter than Arcane Ascension which was surprising. Lots of banter between the chracters and not a ton of emotional depth. I am excited to
Mark
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came for the stupid adventure story. I stayed for the musings on sapience and free will of constructs.

I loved this book. Took me entirely too long to finish it as it was my "falling asleep in bed" book for almost 3 months. but I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it.

This book is a lot lighter than the other Rowe books, much more focused on light adventure as opposed to the politics and world-in-peril. There's a lot of background danger going on, but it never comes front and center.

I would defini
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun lit-RPG adjacent book that both embraces and parodies the tropes of rpgs like Legend of Zelda. Doesn't require that you've read any of Andrew Rowe's other stuff. I enjoyed the characters and the tongue in cheek way it engaged with rpg classics like mysterious temples, magic swords, and monsters that apparently have nothing better to do than sit around in the same place waiting to be slaughtered by adventurers.

The magic system stuff is a little bit less dauntingly complex than Sufficiently
David
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! Very fun! A little Short

Great follow up to either of the authors other series, a great start to it's own as well.

Perhaps the most approachable of the books so far, with the humor of the newer books, but the more standard hero trope of his first series... But I personally still identify a bit more closely with Corin.

Anyway if you were a fan of either series, your going to read this one and love it. If you haven't tried any of them before try this one and get hooked.

For the record, 4 st
Mike
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, I won a free copy of Six Sacred Swords via Goodreads contest. I entered the contest because Andrew Rowe is quickly becoming 0ne of my favorite story tellers. Six Sacred Swords is like all of his books, very engaging. He strikes a difficult balance of charecter development while also conducting world building. Unlike Rober Jordan's Wheel of Time (which I also enjoyed), Andrew Rowe's book find a way to slowly build the readers knowledge of the world without long historically heavy ...more
Tobias  Larsen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For everyone who has read and enjoyed Sufficiently Advanced Magic, this book is very much the same style but with a radically different protagonist. Where Corin is cold and calculating, Keres is impulsive and hot-blooded, it is very entertaining and without any spoilers, the dynamic between the important characters is very well written.
For the ones who have not yet read Sufficiently Advanced Magic, this book is nevertheless a great read and reading Sufficiently Advanced Magic only adds to the s
T
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was entertaining enough that I finished it and didn't return it (barely), but it was mostly just disappointing. It was a long series of fight scenes that felt a bit repetitive and were mostly solved via deus ex machina kind of endings. The characters made a point, instead of being clever, of solving all problems via cheating (by virtue of being from somewhere else so he didn't know how to do otherwise), and a perpetual talk about how excited the main character was to find a "worthy fig ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
“The dragon wrinkled her nose in distaste. “Eat you? Why would I eat you? You probably taste terrible. I was just going to maim you a little.” 0 likes