Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident

If only she'd said no...

Katherine knew she’d had too many drinks, but they were only going a short distance. And as Eve pointed out, it was late, there was no traffic anyway...

Now, Katherine would do anything to turn back the clock. If anyone ever found out about the accident, it would ruin Katherine’s life. But no one needs to know because Eve was there too, and she
Published January 21st 2019 by The Last Word

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.
Amy Its like she took every Lifetime movie bad female character (love, evil, deceit,revenge, insanity, etc.) and wrapped them into 1.

Start your review of The Accident
Dita
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, this book probably won't win any literary awards anytime soon but it was perfect for a quiet afternoon at home in my scrunch socks and yoga pants.

Kat, our protagonist, isn't the genius she declares herself to be but Eve is a fascinating character and I was pulled in completely. Some of the middle could've been whittled down but all in all a fun and twisty ride!
Kari
Mar 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Kimberly Dawn
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This new book proved to be a surprisingly good thriller! Katherine, aka Kat, is set up by Eve, who later is found to be a sociopathic con artist who manipulates and schemes her way into wealthy women’s lives. She sets them up for ruin in various ways. Towards the end of the book I was feeling absolutely frantic and was rooting for Katherine to get out of Eve’s clutches. I loved it and want to read more of this author’s books.
Mandy White
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Natalie Barelli books.. this one was so good!! Nothing is what is seems. The Accident was the least of her problems! Great ending!
Pat
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75 stars.

Arghh when I started this I thought "oh no, how predictable, I know what's going to happen here." And it did. So I was ready to DNF but soldiered on and then things started to get more interesting, but still predictable in a different way. So it was an okay read but that's about it. Quick and light and moderately satisfying.
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Rounded to 3stars.
What I find mind blowing is the fact that this book received so many 5 stars rating.
This book is so predictable and not a bit original.
The storyline is far-fetched.
The writing is not bad, although sometimes a bit juvenile.
It is hard to except some depth in a book so small (272 pages with 50 chapters).
A fast read for sure, but forgettable.
Paige Shelton
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well. Predictable - yes, and even a little frustrating during the first part. I wanted to shake the MC. But ultimately I loved it. Psychopaths are scary things.
Miriam
4 stars audio
5 revenge done right stars story.
Jodi VanMeter
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I have officially become a Natalie Barelli fan!! This is my second book I’ve read and wow!! I couldn’t put this one down!! I did have a few issues with Katherine....she got just a tad annoying at times....and Eve was just over the top....which is why I think this would make a killer movie!! I’ve been slow starting this year with my reading and haven’t had much time....I’ve pulled this book out while sitting at the bank drive thru! And although the two main characters I wanted to slap....still gi
Jessica Williams
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started this book late last night stayed up til 1am because I couldn’t put it down it was so good! Finished it in less than 24 hours. Definitely a great thriller that captures you right away. If you start this book you may not want to put it down until you’re done. Can’t wait to check out Natalie’s other books!
Nour
Dec 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
0 stars. Twilight was better than this. Wattpad books and fanfiction were better than this. I hate this with every fibre of my being. 0 stars.
Amy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OMG. A formulaic book read in a child like voice in an edition (audio book) not even listed on good reads. This book should come with a warning: not for anyone over a certain age or who has read a certain number of books.

So many red flags starting with a protagonist who cant stop saying how brilliant she is and how clever and how everyone said so including her married boss she is having an affair with (who ofcourse is going to divorce his wife, not). Her mother is in an assisted living and sort
Carol Fix
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main character is a gullible weakling and her nemesis is a total dipsh*t. The story was improbable and predictable.
Kat
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Very well written but omg I HATED Kat. This book is what I like to call the “A-hole plot” as in there wouldn’t be a plot if the main character wasn’t a complete A-hole. I enjoyed the book though, it was a little painful but the writing was good.
Linda Smith
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rejected
I can't even finish this book. Maybe if I hadn't listened to the audio version. The narrator made this banal book even worse. This book is like a Lifetime movie, a brilliant but stupid protagonist, overly kind Villian, obvious plot. The author let me down on this one.
Tal
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
After the initial shocking event, everything is very very predictable.
Aimee
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD!!! This is the first book by this author for me. Although there were points where I wanted to grab and shake Katherine, horrified by her not standing up for herself as her life rapidly was taken from her by the the personification of straight up EVIL (aka Eve) and while she was allowing herself to let Mark play her, I stuck with the book as I was able to understand that some people aren’t able to do that and this wasn’t a bad thing, it just meant that not everyone is like me...which is ...more
Natasha
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fiction, thriller
This book was almost impossible to put down! The story seems to unfold quickly, but then there are several surprising twists and once they start, they take it to the end.

Katherine is a wonderful character and has so many human flaws and behaviors that are easy to understand and relate to - but also goes pretty far in a number of ways that make you question "what would I do?"

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a fast-paced psychological novel, much like Better or Worse by Margot Hunt
Kestley
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's like a car accident (forgive the pun) you can't look away!

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. The description doesn't give much away. I was intrigued from the start, wondering what Eve was, especially when the description left out what Katherine discovered before saying, "by the time she found out, it was too late."
As the story progressed, I was amazed by Eve's actions and I read patiently until her motives were revealed. I kept wondering what I would do in Katherine's position, ho
Kristal
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very predictable!

Katherine was dumb and Eve was evil. Honestly, the story didn’t feel realistic. Can someone really be that dumb? Can someone not have a backbone AT ALL. Well, that’s Kat for you.

The only reason I finished this book was to prove that my prediction was wrong. 11 chapters in, I figured it all out.

There was no excitement or twists in this book. It was predictable from the very beginning. Yes, this was an audiobook “read” for me, but I’m pretty sure I would feel the same if I had re
Debbie Oxier
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I had mixed emotions when I finished this book. First, let me say the author did a good job with the suspense. I was guessing all kinds of endings and was taken by surprise at how everything finally played out. However, by the time I got to the end I was ready to stop reading. Katherine was a smart woman. She had resources. Yet not once did she consider trying to beat Eve at her own game. Not until the very end did she grow a backbone. There were several things I thought she could have done to h ...more
Lindsay Nixon
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was okay. The word "passable" comes to mind.

After devouring Missing Molly, I looked for other books by Barelli and was excited to find this. It started off strong, then when it started to become "single white female" I almost quit. I probably should have.

While it keeps a fast pace and offered several surprises through out (what kept me from DNF'ing), I am not "loving it" or satisfied. The ending felt a little flat...shallow. The whole story felt too obvious --- maybe I just don't dig the
Ralph
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2019
2.5 stars - Passable psychological thriller; predictable plot, menacing antagonist, gullible MC

When the book is in the zone, it is a page-turner. When it isn't, it isn't pretty.

Eve, the antagonist, is cruel, heartless, manipulative. Evil. The character was written well and she was really getting on my nerves. I was hoping that she would finally get her comeuppance and the sooner the better.

However our protagonist, Catherine, has to be the most gullible character that I've happened across in fi
Ellie Kavanagh (the.raleigh.reader)
I had never heard of this book until my sister read it earlier this year and recommended it. Psychological suspense involving female friendships (or not so much) is one of my favorite sub-genres, so I was really excited to start this one. The novel is extremely fast-paced and is difficult to put down - I read it in 2 days. While a bit predictable at times, I was definitely shocked by the final twist. The main character also frustrated me - she kept making such stupid decisions, but I was still u ...more
Julian
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story is very suspenseful and you do not know what the next game of Eve's is going to be!!! She would be enough to push me over the edge, believe me!!! This book is definitely worth the read if you like nail biting suspense! Enjoy!
Tamera Wallen-Strong
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I had just read "Missing Molley" by the author and was blown away, so when I saw this book I was eager.
I dunno......the characters make no sense. Katherine is suppose to be this witty, fast thinking executive, but yet she is dumb as a box of rocks...so which is it? Is she savvy or is she naive? I HATED her....
She can use the Internet to research companies, but it doesn't occur to her to Google news on local hit and run victims?
The plot is very predicta
Elaine
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Ever since I was a young kid, I got anxious when I felt tension in something I was watching on television. (I carry that over to books as well.) This one had a bit of tension but nothing that really materialized as it should have when something such as after the premise for this story occurs. Missing was the anxiety. I didn’t feel it. It should have been nail-biting. Nope. I should have felt Katherine’s fear. Instead what I sensed was a wuss. Ya, I can I understand K being a wuss but come on! Wh ...more
Gillian Moore
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Accident by Natalie Barelli 🖤
‘She made one mistake and now she’ll have to pay’.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
My goodness. What a book! I literally couldn’t put it down. When Kat meets Eve, her night in shining armour she is too good to be true. A fast and intense friendship is formed until a tragic accident rips their lives apart. But what is Eve hiding? And why has Kat’s life suddenly spiralled out of control.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Another fantastic psychological thril
Steve Johnson
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't be surprised if you find yourself growing angrier by the page as you read about psychopathic con artist Eve scamming investment analyst Katherine. Eve goes after her job, boyfriend, daughter, money and sanity. She frames her in a traffic "accident." Can Katherine get her life back? You'll root for her as she tries. Plenty of twists await you. Too many puzzle pieces feel jammed into place near an ending that feels rushed, however. It's like the author suddenly decides the book is getting to ...more
Arielle
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Barelli has a talent for taking ordinary events and turning them into nightmares. Nightmares with people who look normal but actually have twisted, dark souls.

If you are going to read one of Barelli's books, do turn off your cell phone, let people know you will not be available for awhile, and plan to go without sleep until you finish the book. You may also need a short recovery period from the roller coaster ride you will have had. But worth every minute of it all.

• The Marriage Betrayal
  • The Perfect Family
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • Friends Like These
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • The Housewife
  • The Daughter In Law
  • The Other Daughter
  • Little Whispers
  • Dear Wife
You will usually find Natalie Barelli reading a book, and that book will more likely than not be a psychological thriller. Then Natalie decided to write one, and she hasn’t stopped writing since.

When not absorbed in the latest gripping page-turner, Natalie rides motorcycles, knits very badly and spends far too much time at the computer. She lives in rural NSW, in Australia.

News & Interviews

“So, there you go, when people make snide comments at you, criticize your choices, are always quick to judge, maybe it’s not you they resent, maybe they’re just scared.” 2 likes
“This fear, it’s weighing me down every minute, every second. And fear has friends, too, called Guilt and Shame. They’re like a crew, the three of them. They hang out together, causing mayhem inside my head.” 0 likes