Start by marking “How to Have Feminist Sex: A Fairly Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
How to Have Feminist Sex: A Fairly Graphic Guide

How to Have Feminist Sex: A Fairly Graphic Guide

'Funny, kind, generous and smart - I could have done with the wisdom of Flo Perry far sooner' Dolly Alderton

We talk about feminism in the workplace and we talk about dating after #MeToo, but women's own patriarchal conditioning can be the hardest enemy to defeat. When it comes to our sex lives, few of us are free of niggling fears and body image insecurities. Rather than e
Published October 3rd 2019 by Particular Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Have Feminist Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Have Feminist Sex

Start your review of How to Have Feminist Sex: A Fairly Graphic Guide
HowardHomeEd
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite things about this book is the drawings. Belly rolls, hairy legs, wonky boobs... and sometimes you're not even sure if you're looking at male, female or other partners, because the drawings are so beautifully ambiguous. Which is true to real life. You can't always tell what sex or gender someone is just by looking at them. I love it.
I'm leaving this on the accessible-to-all book shelf at home. I have 4 daughters and 1 son ranging from 6-16 years, and I truly feel that this wil
Krista Regester
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, if we could hand one of these out to everyone of all ages/genders/sex that would be great. I mean Oprah "You get a car! You get a car!" level shit. Thanks. ...more
Viv JM
I think I am about 25 years older than the intended demographic for this book but ho-hum, I thought it was great. If only it had existed when I was navigating my teens and early twenties! Flo Perry has written a fun, fearless and feminist guide to sex. It is informative and non-judgmental and really rather charming. Bravo!
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
A fun, tongue in cheek look at sexuality for the modern woman and anyone who considers themselves a feminist. I wish this book would have existed when I was a lot younger, as it tackles lots of subjects that are important for young women to know about.

Of course the majority of the book is illustrative, but there are many short paragraphs to read that cut out the unnecessary ramblings and just get down to the nitty gritty, in all its naked glory.

A perfect addition to any feminists book shelf.
muthuvel
bell hooks says patriarchy has no gender. What does she mean by that? It's largely, I think, has to do with tendency/desire to align ourselves with those in power however unfair power structures might be. This include very subtle unnoticeable ways by which genders from all walks of construct abide by the ways as prescribed as norm. One wouldn't even have known it's a norm in the first place and that's okay because our Imagination is quite limited by our culture and language. Could one be complac ...more
Charlotte
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I'm a little unsure of how to rate this book.

I was very much enjoying it for the first 90% of the book, however there were quite a few comments towards the end that really rubbed me the wrong way and hampered my reading experience of this book.

If I was rating this purely on the illustrations and comic styles, this would be a solid 5 star read. I found some of the allusions hilarious and the diversity in the characters was amazing.

I didn't really learn too much from this book, which is I think
Anna  Sjösvärd
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please give this to every teenager there is.
Andrew
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
How to Have Feminist Sex: A Fairly Graphic Guide, by Flo Perry, is a very progressive graphic novel on feminism, sex, and what it all means. It really isn't that graphic, but it explores topics such as consent, monogamy, and sexuality with an eye for fulfillment and happiness. Certainly not for everyone, but a good book to see on the shelves, and a good read for those interested in the above topics. ...more
Katie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant! Reading this book was like talking to a sex therapist who's a friend... You come away lighter and more empowered. It will benefit all sexes and genders! ...more
Natasha
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick little read
mayy
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witty, insightful und extremely important. This is book every young girl and boy should read to understand their own and their partner’s sexuality.
Chiara Lou
Jan 06, 2021 rated it liked it
There were a lot of things I enjoyed about this book (the illustrations!) but sadly, also quite a few aspects where I found it a bit lacking. It posits itself as a really inclusive book and yet doesn't really follow through on it (most of the time, the sentences that were clearly trying to be inclusive felt more like an afterthought). There's also a few sentences that were just plain weird. ("Many women quite enjoy being objectified, but, for some, feeling like a living blow-up doll can be a maj ...more
Karina Webster
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative & fun. Could have done with this 10 years ago!
Chloe
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Fucking brilliant. I cackled. I learnt A LOT. I now have a to do list. I'm going to give this to every one of my girlfriends.

This graphic novel made me feel so comfortable with every experience and non experience I have had. I loved that the drawings of the people in the book were quite androgynous so you could interpret the scene however you wanted. Love the art and the facts that were sprinkled throughout this book. I really recommend to anyone who feels self-conscious about ANYTHING sexually
SarahClaire
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had this when I was a teenager!
anna t
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Georgia-Jane Goodall
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book is just fantastic, it takes all aspects sex, sexual situations and different relationships and puts them into the terms and easily understood ways you discuss them with your friends (don’t lie, we all talk about sex - get over it) a fantastically funny read that i’ll happily lend to any of my pals (maybe just avoid getting it out on the tube - don’t think the world, unfortunately, is quite ready for that yet!!)
Asta
I strongly recommend this book to every teenager! And some older ones might benefit from it as well.
Aparajita Nath
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminist-read
Although it seems to be targeting a younger population, there is a lot of growing up some of us need to do when it comes to our relationship with sex. The book talks about a range of topics in a light hearted manner, often put as a non judgemental 1st person opinion. In several ways it was liberating to hear core beliefs getting validated. Would highly recommend for the light but important content and the funny art work.
Jo Estrin
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. Funny, empowering, insightful and kind. This book makes the world a better place.
Becky
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and insightful. Should probably be handed out at schools to everyone regardless of gender or preference.
Anouk VA
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
An inclusive guide to sex BUT some explanations about clitoris need ajustements. Science has proved that vaginal orgasm is a myth : all orgasms come from the clitoris, the only difference is between internal or external stimulation. And there is no clitoris drawing in the book ! The “last thoughts” chapter made it clear, she doesn’t pretend to be a doctor but a better understanding could benefit the book.
I was also uncomfortable by the fact that she refers to female genitals as vaginas because s
solène
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
We can't help what beliefs we've been landed with, but we can re-examine our beliefs and decide which ones we want to keep and which ones we need to try to check out.

Flo Perry's How to Have Feminist Sex is a rather enjoyable, informative and nonjudgmental book filled with fun artwork: belly rolls, hairy bodies and wonky boobs for the win, yay!

I didn't really learn too much from it (which is why I'm rating it ★★★☆☆), but I still found it very interesting and I would recommend it to everybody.

Only
Olivia Simpson
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book about feminist sex! Covers a solid foundation of the complexities of sex, and asks reflective questions along the way. Gorgeous and funny illustrations. A great book for any feminist loving queen to read, experienced/inexperienced, or anywhere in between. Wish I had had access to this book in high school!
Miss E
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I already consider myself a feminist so, somehow, I was surprised to find this book challenge me in some aspects and I loved that! It’s funny, it’s educative, it’s smart, it’s illustrated in the cutest way and it’s something I’d give my daughter (or son!) to read while they’re growing up.
Emmelie
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun book! If you’ve read more books about feminism the information isn’t new to you. I like how it’s focussed on topics such as body image and consent and I would’ve loved to have this book in my teens. Loved the drawings!
Emilee
4.5 stars. I giggled a lot during my time reading this, not gonna lie.
Tassa DeSalada
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Feminism and sex positivity are brilliantly combined in this book.
Louise
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very funny and true to life representations. Great illustrations!
Nicola Whyte
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book should be given to all people regardless of gender identity. It sets out issues of body image, consent and other really important and relevant topics. I was lucky enough to see Flo speak at the Women of the World conference in March 2020 and she was fantastic, very insightful and funny, cause lets face it, sex is supposed to be fun!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • Don't Hold My Head Down
  • How To Get Over A Boy
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • More Orgasms Please: Why Female Pleasure Matters (Hotbed Collective)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • Wolf Moon
  • Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
  • The Leaf Reader
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Stig of the Dump
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
Flo Perry is a writer and illustrator, former BuzzFeed editor and expert on making illustrations go viral. She was born and raised in the wilds of North London and still lives there with two lovely homosexual housemates and a terrible cat. Her book How to Have Feminist Sex was published in 2019.