Start by marking “Childhood” as Want to Read:
Childhood

Childhood

(The Copenhagen Trilogy)

The first volume in The Copenhagen Trilogy, the searing portrait of a woman's journey through love, friendship, ambition and addiction, from one of Denmark's most celebrated twentieth-century writers

Tove knows she is a misfit, whose childhood is made for a completely different girl. In her working-class neighbourhood in Copenhagen, she is enthralled by her wild, red-headed friend Ruth, who/>Tove/>
Published September 5th 2019 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childhood

Start your review of Childhood
Lee
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite, enthralling, pitch perfect.
Eric Anderson
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tove Ditlevsen was a Danish author publishing books in the mid-20th century. Her poetry, novels and memoirs made her quite famous within her country and she's now accepted as part of the literary canon in Danish primary schools. However, she's little known in the English speaking world because few of her works have been translated until now. Penguin Classics have just released three memoirs concerning her early life grouped together under the title “The Copenhagen Trilogy”. The first book in thi ...more
Ailsa
Nov 01, 2019 added it
"I've never cared for reality and I never write about it."
JacquiWine
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Childhood is the first in a series of three volumes which together form The Copenhagen Trilogy, a work of autofiction by the revered Danish writer and poet, Tove Ditlevsen (1917-78). It is a striking text, shot through with a tangible note of sadness, in which the innocence of childhood is juxtaposed with the harsh realities of an austere world. (The subsequent volumes – Youth and Dependency, which I’ll touch on at the end – cover the author’s adolescence and adult years respectively.)
PAULINE
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gåsehudfaktor! Glimrande bok.
Nicola Pierce
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of her or these books but the covers caught my attention as I browsed in Hodges Figgis, Dublin. When I took them to the till point, the sales assistant complimented me on my taste … which always helps. Well, all I can say is I opened up 'Childhood' last Friday morning, planning just to read a page or two and ended up reading it and volume two within three hours or so - only stopping long enough to ring my local bookshop to order the third book in the trilogy. Bloody marvellous ...more
Trin
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: danish-lit, 1960s, fiction
This was fine--intriguingly dark--but I suspect it only attains its full impact when read in conjunction with the rest of the series. Sort of like The Gunslinger.

Yes, I wrote this review just so I could be the first and only person to compare Tove Ditlevsen to Stephen King.
Anna-Sofie
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tove Ditlevsens erindringer er betagende - Gang på gang stoppede jeg op og tænkte: "Hvor skriver hun godt!". Det på en gang nøgterne og poetiske sprog, de vage konturer og de knivskarpe detaljer side om side. Selvbedrag på den ene og selvindsigt på den næste side.
Bøgerne giver et hudløst ærligt billede af, hvad det er at være et sårbart og melankolsk menneske, men fordi Tove Ditlevsen mere end noget andet er digter, er der også en dyb sproglig fornøjelse ved at læse bøgerne.
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first volume of Tove Ditlevsen's memoir, charting her young childhood years until her confirmation- an ominous threshold into adulthood.

Ditlevsen grew up in the working class district Vesterbro in Copenhagen. There seems to be very little light in her childhood, both literally and metaphorically. The flat where she grows up feels dark, surrounded by tall buildings and with little light entering the windows. Her evocative depictions of the local area and her neighbours are often set
Pe
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Iliwa
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read. Managed to finish in a couple of hours. The writing was very beautiful and often poetic.
Lucy Siggins
Oct 16, 2019
Kylie Warner
Sep 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tove Ditlevsen var en dansk forfatter, som hentede inspiration i sit eget liv som kvinde. I sin digtning og som yndet brevkasseredaktør i Familie Journalen udfoldede hun en dyb psykologisk indsigt i moderne kvinders splittede liv. Hendes evne til at udtrykke sammensatte følelser i et enkelt og smukt sprog fik betydning for flere generationer af læsere.

The Copenhagen Trilogy (3 books)
  • Youth