Start by marking “No Ballet Shoes in Syria” as Want to Read:
No Ballet Shoes in Syria

No Ballet Shoes in Syria

Aya is eleven years old and has just arrived in Britain with her mum and baby brother, seeking asylum from war in Syria.

When Aya stumbles across a local ballet class, the formidable dance teacher spots her exceptional talent and believes that Aya has the potential to earn a prestigious ballet scholarship.

But at the same time, Aya and her family must fight to be allowed to
Expected publication: May 2nd 2019 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about No Ballet Shoes in Syria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ballet Shoes in Syria

L.H. Johnson
Aya is eleven, Syrian, and seeking asylum in Britain. Her mum, her, and her baby brother, escaped from the war in Syria - but her father got separated from them on the way. Her whole family is suffering from the experience (and it's handled so delicately and sensitively and well by Bruton but fyi if you're working with children who may have undergone a similar experience), and her life is not easy. One day she comes across a ballet class, and it's there that everything starts to change...

In her
Tamsin Winter
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It tells the story of eleven-year-old Aya who is seeking asylum in Manchester with her mother and brother. An incredibly moving and important story about war, survival, friendship and the power of dance. I finished it late last night in a mess of tears, heartbreak & joy. One that will stay with me for a long time.
Christina Reid
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel privileged to have read this beautiful book -one that is destined to become a classic, like the books that inspired it, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and the Sadler's Wells series.
The story follows Aya as she attempts to help her mother and younger brother negotiate the vagaries and difficulties of life as an asylum seeker. They have had a long, hard journey from their home in Syria in order to reach the safety of England, but it is dtill unsure if they will be able to stay or not.
This bo
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful contemporary middle grade about a young Syrian refugee called Aya, who is attempting to attain a prestigious ballet school scholarship whilst also negotiating the difficulties of being an asylum seeker- namely the threat of deportation now she and her family are in Britain and the trauma of her father having went missing on their journey. It is so incredibly moving and emotive- my heart quite literally ached for Aya and her family and the kindness that people showed them rene ...more
BooksForTopics
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superb read. What a wonderful story exploring the experience of an eleven-year-old girl fleeing conflict in Syria.

Aya’s tale is told with such compassion - I wanted to reach into the pages and hug her! It took me on a real empathy journey and has left me with plenty to think about (and it also did make me cry more than once!).

Aya also has a passion for ballet and she finds that her dancing is fundamental in her journey to find a way to process and express her experiences.

This is an important
Nicki
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. One of the best children's books I've read for a long time.

This is the tale of Aya, an asylum-seeking ballet dancer who has escaped from war-torn Syria to England. There is a reasonable bit of ballet in it, but it should appeal to kids who aren't interested in ballet too as the main story is about how Aya's life has been changed from a regular girl enjoying regular things to that of a refugeee.

It really tugs at the heart-strings and I cried my way through a fair bit of it.

Very much recomm
Kirsty
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. Lovely thoughtful book
Catherine
Apr 13, 2019
Charlotte Coldwell
is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2019
I live just outside Bath with my husband, Jonny, and my two children (plus two toy monkeys, six goldfish and we’re hoping to get some chickens!). I teach English two days a week at a local secondary school. I also write articles for newspapers and magazines. Oh, and I write novels too!