Start by marking “Spare Room” as Want to Read:

Spare Room

Home Is Where The Nightmare Is

Beautiful double room to let to single person

Published January 29th 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Spare Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spare Room

Bibi
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
**Spoiler Alert**

Okay, I didn't like this story. At all.
However, that's not to say it's a bad book because it really was cleverly written and for the most part it was suspenseful...ish, keeping a somewhat tenuous hold on my interest. It's very much a plot-driven story, told from the POV of our protagonist, Lisa, who is the newest tenant of the "Spare Room". A room that somehow connects her past to her present. A past she can only vaguely remember.

Ideally, and in my opinion, a suspenseful thri
The Book Review Café
4.5 ⭐
Dreda Say Mitchell is one of my favourite gritty crime thriller authors, so I was thrilled to receive a copy of her latest book Spare Room. I must admit I picked up this book with some trepidation as the author has moved away from her normal genre and written a psychological thriller. I’m thrilled to report that not only has the author written a corker of a psychological thriller, it’s one that makes you question everything you read. Mitchell has incorporated all the elements that make for
Sue
SPARE ROOM by Dreda Say Mitchell is a stand-alone dark psychological thriller that will suck you in right from the beginning. I had to keep on reading to figure out what was going on. I am so glad I read this book, because I had to know what happened! This was a winner!

Beautiful double room in wonderful large house in North London to let to single person.

“Lisa, a troubled young woman with a past, can’t believe her luck when she finds a beautiful room to rent in a large house. The live-in owners
Nicki
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spare Room is a sinister,enthralling thriller about a very troubled young woman named Lisa. Haunted by terrifying nightmares about a horrific event that happened in her past,an occurrence that left her mentally and physically scarred. Lisa can't believe her luck when she finds a beautiful room to let in a large house. The live in owners Martha and Jack are kind and welcoming and Lisa swiftly moves into their attic room. But sinister things start happening after Lisa finds a suicide note in her r ...more
Book Addict Shaun
I am a huge, huge fan of Dreda Say Mitchell as an author, a speaker, a person, the lot. I have loved all her books, interviews I’ve watched on YouTube (I highly recommend the Writer’s Corner interview on Words of Colour and the Writeidea Festival video from 2011, one a fascinating insight into her writing with Tony and as a black author and one a brilliant insight into Dreda’s history and life and being an author) and also debates that she’s had over Brexit. Fanboying over we can get onto this r ...more
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
From page one, I was well and truly gripped to this novel only putting it down to go to sleep and picking it up the next morning to finish it.

Right from the start it’s obvious that something has happened in the house that Lisa finds herself renting a room in. I was as intrigued as her when she uncovers a suicide letter and wanted to know more about the man who felt he obviously had no other way out other than to take his own life.

Lisa is a slightly unstable character who has had mental health is
Adele Shea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa needs a place to live and decides to rent a Spare Room in Martha and Jack's. When sinister things start happening and she finds a suicide note in her room of a mysterious man, she wants to get to the bottom of it.

When I start reading this book I just kept thinking "why doesn't she just move out?" but then bam the story makes sense. There are some twisted things that have happened in Lisa's life that she needs to remember and come to terms with. Great read.
Jill McGill
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This dark and twisted psychological thriller was a winner for me! This pulled me in right from the start... I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Denise
"We project one thing to the world but inside there's hurt, there's pain, there's memories chasing us that will never go away."

Lisa Kendal has scars. And we're not just talking about the ones on the outside that everyone can see though she keeps her body completely covered. She's got some serious emotional and psych issues, a past "incident" that was likely a suicide attempt, and many questions about her past. When she can't get straight, honest answers from her parents (Edward and Barbara), she
Lel Budge
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY REVIEW

So here goes:

Lisa Kendal is a mess, she takes antidepressants ad hoc, she has night terrors, sleep walks and is a little paranoid to say the least.

Lisa rents the Spare Room in Martha and Jack’s beautiful home, there are very strict house rules, which seem a little over the top but she is determined to stay and find out what happened to the previous tenant. She has found a suicide note and writings on the wall and is certain something bad went on in that house...

Oh my.....what a story,
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
This is my first book my Dreda Say Mitchell and now I’m hooked! This was a dark twisted thriller that drew me in and had me wanting to know what the heck was going on!! Lisa is a troubled young woman who suffers from horrible nightmares that she believes are from her past she has physical scars to prove it. The nightmares cause her to sleep walk, she ties her leg to the bed post every night so she won’t hurt herself by sleepwalking. On the hunt for a new place to live she stumbles upon a spare r ...more
Dee Kendall
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Donna Hines
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, netgalley
As a consumer reviewer with a love of thrillers I expect some level of excitement, some action, some suspense, mystery, intrigue. A plot that thickens and brings me along for the ride of my life.
For me this just didn't have that spark that's not to say it wasn't written to capture interest it just didn't peak my interest nor did I truly have any connection to the main character.
A suicide note appears which makes everything questionable since she was to be the first and only tenant for this happy
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to read a book by this author... definitely worth waiting for and I’ll certainly be reading her previous books as this was a fantastic read.

Lisa moves into a Spare Room in a beautiful house belonging to Jack and Martha. She doesn’t realise that this move is going to change her life forever.

This story sucked me in right from the start. I felt I was reading this holding my breath and sitting on the edge of my seat. No matter how much I thought ahead at how th
Janice Lombardo
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa has searched and searched for a room to rent. She finally finds the one she has been looking for. However, she signs the lease in haste and is not aware of the "rules". Her landlords, Jack and Martha, are a bit strange. Martha, a decade or two older than Jack, has issues with appearance. Jack has issues with just about everything.

Spiraling downhill, Lisa meets her neighbor, Patsy, who just happens to be the "aunt" of Lisa's ex-boyfriend, Alex. They get along together, he helps her out. - ye
Alexina Golding
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually don’t know where to start with this review!

If I could get away with it I would put ‘Just buy it!’

Psychological Thrillers are my most favourite books to read.

Dreda is a very accomplished author in her grit crime
Series, but has definitely raised the bar with Spare Room.

With a gripping start, fabulous characters, especially in Lisa.
You can’t help but be moved by her and her story.

A plot that is drip fed to you and the puzzle pieces are given to you in a variety of ways.

This story had
Nessa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour-review
I've recently become a fan of Dreda books having read her amazing Flesh and Blood series which I just loved. So when I heard that her next book was to be a psychological thriller  I just knew I had to read it and WOW am I glad I did. It has pretty much left me speechless.

I have been completely surprised and blown away by this story, it drew me in right from the very beginning and kept me truly captivated throughout, right to the very shocking outcome as the story concluded.

I spent the entire bo
Celine Godfrey
Three stars too low but 4 stars too high! A 3.75 from me. Maybe I'm jaded from reading so many books in my favourite genre (psycho thrillers) that I'm prone to see the plot and all the angles and the outcome beforehand. Have to say I DID see this coming, well before the end.

I also felt a few plot holes. The relationship between Martha and Lisa ..... seriously, if somebody pissed you off that much, you'd just be casual and forgiving the next day? At one point I thought maybe Martha had an evil tw
J.A. Baker
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story! This book had me hooked from the get-go. All the way through I thought I had the plot sussed only to be thwarted time and time again.
Lisa moves into a room in a large house owned by Martha and Jack who are a difficult couple to get to know. Lisa has her troubles and is haunted by her past. Slowly, the room begins to reveal secrets to her that she's been desperate to unearth for as long as she can remember.
This is a compulsive read for lovers of psychological fiction/domestic noir a
Josephine gilligan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Very good story line would make a really scary film it would make you think twice about renting a spare room
sharon featherston
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, a must read !!

A twisty book about a young woman who is suffering with terrible nightmares, she is also scarred mentally and physically.
Miriam
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had heard so much about this book and normally I think when anything is hyped up so much it can disappoint but I'm glad to say that I was wrong and I was hooked from the start, even managed to read some yesterday at work. It was my first time reading anything by Dreda and I'll be back for more.
Susan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!, wow!, wow!, I raved through this book, it was an excellent read, twists and turns. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Will definitely look for more by this author
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
This book had me hooked from the beginning and I couldn't put it down.  It wasn't action packed but malice and mystery was to be found on every page, making this an addictive read.

The main protagonist, Lisa, was so well written.  Deeply troubled and disturbed, it's difficult to know whether her issues are down to a condition or suppressed memories.  She's written in a way that takes you along a manic and paranoid ride through the book alongside her.  The story becomes quite frenzied and this c
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Where do I begin? … Bare with me here. Spare Room is a rollercoaster of a read, it totally messed with my mind! This book actually blew me away… Wow.

Everyone has their secrets in this story… But the truth will shock you. Not everything is as it seems… I did not expect anything that got thrown at me during this read. Chilling, dark and creepy.

Main Character Lisa is facing her own personal issues throughout, but I actually felt scared, sorry and fightened for her. Half way through this book is a m
Janice
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home Is Where The Nightmare Is
Beautiful double room to let to single person
Lisa, a troubled young woman with a past, can’t believe her luck when she finds a beautiful room to rent in a large house. The live-in owners are a kind and welcoming couple. Everything is fine until she finds a suicide note hidden in her room. But when the couple insist this man didn’t exist and that Lisa is their first tenant, Lisa begins to doubt herself.
Compelled to undercover the secrets of the man who lived in the r
Kim (_booksarelove)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
*This review was originally posted on my blog www.booksarelove22.wordpress.com*

I came across this book through a number of other bloggers, they had either reviewed it or had it on their TBR lists, and it got my attention, so I dowloaded it onto my kindle and got to it almost straight away.

In Spare Room we are following a woman named Lisa who everyone thinks of as unstable. She does some odd things, and attempted suicide at a point in the past. She moves into a room in a house owned by a married
Julie Morris
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wondered from time to time recently whether the trend of the ‘domestic noir’ psychological thriller might have run its course and there can’t possibly be anything fresh and new to come out of this genre – it has all been done to death (pun entirely intended!). Then you come across a book like this one and an awakened interest in this type of book is ignited by a novel with fantastic writing, breath-taking suspense and twists so devious that you couldn’t possibly have seen them coming.

This
Ami-May
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and I think this is her first book in a different genre.

This book literally gripped me from the the very start. It normally takes me days to read a book but I couldn’t stop reading this book I HAD to find out what was next and the only reason it took me a day is because I eventually passed out from exhaustion for 6 hours.

It is really well written. And She showed and didn’t tell us. You could literally see the story happening in your mind like a tv program or
  • The Second Wife
  • Cold Heart (Detective Kate Matthews, #3)
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • Little Girl Lost
  • Blood Runs Cold (Detective Anna Gwynne, #2)
  • Sleep
  • Finding Grace
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • The Missing Twin
  • NOT A BOOK: Tear Drop
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)
  • The Pupil
  • Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Next to Die
  • The Lies Within (DI Will Jackman #3)
  • Dead Time (Max Wolfe, #1.5)
  • A Mother’s Sacrifice
Dreda Say Mitchell, who grew up on a housing estate in east London, is an award-winning novelist, broadcaster, journalist and freelance education consultant who describes herself as a 'complete busybody'. Dreda was named one of Britain's 50 Remarkable Women by Lady Geek. She is the author of five novels, with her first book having been awarded The CWA's John Creasey Dagger for best debut crime nov ...more