Start by marking “Knowing You” as Want to Read:
Knowing You

Knowing You

An abrupt change; a new friendship; a dark secret...
Kind-hearted Violet has never fitted in, but despite being bullied at school is now content. She is dating ambitious Lenny, has her dream job in publishing and runs a book club at the local retirement home.

Published March 14th 2018 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Knowing You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knowing You

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

My first love was an assistant manager at the local bookshop where I had a Saturday job. It was then that I realised the most attractive thing about a man was the width of his reading list.

Uncle Kevin got headhunted. Sounds scary, doesn’t it? Makes me think of my favourite Horrid Henry story about cannibals. It means he got offered a job in America, the place where people eat bacon with pancakes, do cheerleading and own guns.

I need help persuading Farah that there is no health sc
Berit☀️✨
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, blog-tour, arc
This was a compelling read packed with friendship, emotion, and depth!

This book was women’s fiction older wiser more jaded sister. A Book that starts with a whisper and ends in a scream! this was almost 2 books in one. The first half was light fluffy reading and then BAM things went a little sideways got a little dark a little deep. Sam Tonge Took on some serious topics in this book and she took them head on. She handled them with compassion and heart.

Violet has a pretty good life she works in p
Louise Wilson
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Violet has never fitted in, she had been bullied at school. She is dating Lenny, has her dream job in publishing and runs a book club at the local retirement home. Then her relationship with Lenny breaks down. Violet seeks advice from her new flat mate, Bella. She changes her image, but her long term friends, Kath and Farah worry over Bella's influence. During Violets childhood her closest friend was a boy called Flint. Her mother did not approve of her friendship and he suffered a terrible end. ...more
Linda Strong
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Violet is a terrific young woman who has almost everything she wants ... a great job in publishing, caring friends, and a boyfriend. Well not the boyfriend. She caught him cheating so he is gone. And with it, her self confidence.

Her new flat mate, Bella, aims to bring Vi's self confidence back. She gets Vi on an exercise plan, eating much healthier food ... and a lot less than she normally would. She talks her into buying new clothes as the pounds melt away. Changes her hair style. Pret
Finitha Jose
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel took me by surprise and shook up my work schedule. There is no way I was able to concentrate on anything else before knowing what happened to Violet. If you are a fan of psychological thriller, you would see it coming I am sure. Since I am not, the ending left me astounded.
Being my first book by Samantha Tonge, I could very well say her popularity is well earned. The elegant diction tugs at your heartstrings and will sweep you off your feet. And what I loved most is the way it is se
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To me this is a book of two halves - the first half gives us a feel for what Violet is normally like, how her break up for Lenny is affecting her, and about her job in publishing. We get to meet her friends and there is a lot of talk about books which I l always like.

Then the second half well from about 60% onwards I knew I couldn't put the book down, had no idea what was going on around me, as I was so utterly absorbed as everything seemed to move up a notch, and some of the things I was wonde
Dash fan
4☆ Emotive, Tense and Thought Provoking!

I'm a big fan of Samantha's books, so when I see she was writing something a lil darker I jumped at the chance to get my hands on a copy.

I have to admit it took me a lil while to get into the swing of this one as it was a slower pace.
But once I got into it I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It was more emotive and tense then dark which I adored.

Violet is an interesting character.
After splitting up with her long term boyfriend Lenny, she decides to give herself a cha
Robyn
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting myself into when I first started reading Violet’s story and I will admit, I didn’t quite like her in the beginning as Violet came off as a pushover. But, then something magical happened and I found myself really warming up to Violet as her story is slowly revealed. Violet is content with her life, her job in publishing, and with her boyfriend Lenny. Sure, they might not have the perfect relationship and have grown kind of distant as of late, but Lenny is he ...more
Nicki
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started this book fully expecting it to be the usual story about a psychotic woman who moves into the home of the main character because she has devious plans to exact some sort of revenge because of something that the main character did or didn't do in the past. Well,I should really know by now,not to judge a book by its synopsis. Knowing You is a enthralling,thought provoking story that has some dark themes that,depending on their circumstances might upset some readers. But the author has wr ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Then I realised the most attractive thing about a man was the width of his reading list.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved reading about how the relationship between Violet and Bella developed. They were both endearing and flawed which made them feel very real. Another reason I enjoyed this book is that the author has male characters with personalities that are interesting, sensitive and yet strong. Often male characters in other books are unable to express their feelings and reluc
Elaine
OMG!! This is another amazing, riveting read from this very talented author. It is a story which deals with some issues in a very sensitive and caring manner but I don't want to reveal just what those issues are as that would spoil your enjoyment of the book!

This is the story of Violet Vaughan, who now works as an editor of children's books in a small publishing house, Thoth, and shares the impact of events from 2001, when she was seven years old, and the present day after she discovers her boyf
Kelly
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uno-2019
Utterly spell binding. I could not put this book down. The story telling is superb and draws you into the web of secrets. This is such an honest, heart felt tale. It’s just stunning. Highly recommended.

Thank you NetGalley.
Trish Hills
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell! Read this in about 5 hours, staying up til I finished at 1:30am.

Knowing You is a fantastic book! It's the story if Violet Vaughan, who works in publishing. After her break-up, she meets Bella and together, they begin a transformation from Shrinking Violet to Vi.

Her story is emotional and real and really gripping. The mix of secondary characters are great, particularly Kath and the ladies.

Violet's back story is deeply moving and I cried for her.

I was left gasping and with my jaw on
Katey Lovell
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unsettling read about honesty and secrets. I felt so much empathy for Violet throughout.

Samantha Tonge creates a strong sense of both character and place in her latest novel, a thought-provoking book which would make an interesting book club choice.
Julie Parks
This book is - or is trying to be - a crossover between women's fiction and thriller. It's basically all about women and what they think, say, do etc. combined with an action plot that from the very start is very suggestively going somewhere you will never guess where.

The ending is a classic modern crime novel ending - and, sadly, the kind that does not leave you wanting to tell your friends about it. It's not that it's predictable. It's just that in my opinion, these kinds of stories (because o
Els
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! That what comes to mind during and after reading this wonderful book. I was so engrossed in it that I truely believe I would not have noticed a bomb going off beside me.

We follow happy Vi, having a job and a boyfriend she loves and being satisfied with the life she leads. But then lightning strikes and she finds herself heartbroken. In comes Bella, who is the perfect person to help Vi through it all. Is she such a good influence though?

The main part of the story takes place in the present,
Jeanniehay64
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

Knowing You tells the story of Violet who works in publishing and is breaking up with Lenny her boyfriend, who has cheated on her . Full of grief, she turns to her new friend Bella who helps her turn her life around and gives her a new positive focus.

Violet's friends kath and Farah are concerned about her and are sceptical about Bella and her influence on Violet!

I loved how we read about Violets young life and this added depth to her character which gave the reader an insight into how her life
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Violet Vaughan had a comfortable but predictable life. Violet owned her own flat in London with her boyfriend Lenny, and had a interesting job as editor of children's fiction. On Valentines day Violet`s life shattered when she discovered that Lenny was having an affair with an editor from another publishing house.

Lenny moved out that same night leaving Violet confused and her self esteem at an all time low
Katie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the overall message of the book about accepting yourself as you are. I also appreciate the depth and diversity of characters of different ages and backgrounds. I also enjoyed the setting of behind the scenes at a publishing house. Overall, it was just an OK read for me. I believe there are people out there who need to hear the message of the book and I hope it reaches them.
Thanks to NetGalley, Canelo, and the author Samantha Tonge for a digital review copy. This book was first published
Tea Leaves and Reads
An abrupt change; a new friendship; a dark secret…

However, when her relationship with Lenny begins to falter, Violet, hurt and alone, seeks the advice of her new flatmate, Bella. She changes her image and with her head held high aims to show that she doesn’t need Lenny in her life to be happy
Bridget
Knowing You by Samantha Tonge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For me, this was a wonderful and engrossing book that I found difficult to put down. This book explored many difficult subjects, sensitively dealing with issues based around bullying, anxiety, self-esteem, loss and grief, amongst others. It was very emotional and melancholic in places but was also filled with hope. I loved the complexity of some of the characters and following their personal stories. The twist was very unexpected.

I love
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Violet has just had a broken heart. She was dating Lenny, someone that worked with her in the world of publishing, and that has fallen apart. Violet has a new flatmate, Bella, who gives her a lot of advice so she begins to change her life. As a child, Violet had very few friends. Not so as an adult. She has two long-time friends Kat and Farah, who are very concerned with her when she starts making sudden changes in her life.

The story goes back and forth to when Violet was a c
Jenn Webley
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thought provoking and emotional book. I was not prepared at all for what it a lot of more than your standard 'chick- lit' /women's fiction - I was engrossed throughout, what a brilliantly written tale of the fragility of relationships, friendships and control.

Violet , our main character, is really likable and relatable. She thinks of herself as an odd ball who doesn't quite fit in or deserve any of the good things in her seemingly happy, comfortable life. She is a normal - kind hearted girl,
booklover BEV
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable book

Violet a junior editor and lenny a literary agent both work in the book publishing world. Beatrix Bingham a writer likes younger men. A text on lennys phone on Valentine's night changes their relationship for good. Violet is devastated and tells lenny to leave and have a happy life with his trixie. Where did she go wrong? This book takes us back and forth from violets childhood to today. It is full of humour romance and all things booky. I really enjoyed this book
Sandra Herrera
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, thank you to NetGalley and Canelo publishing for an advance copy.

The book started out great. Samantha does a great job of introducing each character, especially main character Violet. As a reader you become very invested in Violet’s life, especially when you begin to learn everything she has been through as a child. It is great to see how as an adult Violet has a successful career and personal life. Although as an adult she also has her ups and downs, it was nice to see her gaining confi
Fiona Wilson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019-reads
I am a fan of this author and love reading her work. This book was somewhat different, however, to her usual work.

The story starts well and I quickly become emotionally involved in Violet’s story. She is a complex character going through a difficult time in her life due to a breakup. We see her life as it is now as well as flashbacks to her childhood. The flashbacks contain clues as to what is going on and I had actually guessed where the story was going before the author gave it away. However,
Morgan Schulman
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review

What was that? No, seriously, I’ve reread the last few chapters over and over, and I still don’t understand. Fairly flat 2-D women’s fiction until the end goes off the rails. You can pass
Fany van  hemelen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning novel that starts as a feelgood book, but has more depth than you think! A darker story, perfect for this time with lovely characters and unrevealed stories!

Violet is working at Thoth publisher and loves her work. It doesn’t feel as work, books are her passion. As a kid, she already adored books and they were her friends and she could forget everything between them. At school she was bullied and when she was between other kids she stood aside. They don’t love reading and she fell
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
It's totally true that the more we love a book, the harder it is for us bloggers to write the review.  This is how I feel trying to write this one today.

I'm completely heartbroken after reading this devastating yet beautiful book about loss, love, friendship and dealing with the things about ourselves we don't like.

Meet Violet.

Child Violet - A bookworm who never really fits into her new school and then suffers a very devastating loss that leaves both her and her mother in a lonely place.  She
Jane Hunt
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Violet has a career she loves, and a relationship that she is happy with, the first part of this story follows her life as a children’s book editor, which is interesting, she has lots of friends mostly older than her, but they value her friendship as she does theirs.

The present-day narrative is broken up with stories from Violet’s childhood, and a particularly momentous event that takes place and effects the young girl deeply.

It’s impossible not to feel empathy for Violet as a child, and to admi
Samantha Tonge lives in Manchester UK with her husband and children. She studied German and French at university and has worked abroad, including a stint at Disneyland Paris. She has travelled widely.
When not writing she passes her days cycling, baking and drinking coffee. Samantha has sold many dozens of short stories to women’s magazines.
She is represented by the Darley Anderson literary agency