Start by marking “Warrior of the Altaii” as Want to Read:
Warrior of the Altaii

Warrior of the Altaii

Epic fantasy legend, and author of #1 New York Times bestselling series The Wheel of Time(R), Robert Jordan's never-before published novel, Warrior of the Altaii

Draw near and listen, or else time is at an end.

Published October 8th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Warrior of the Altaii, please sign up.
kazerniel According to wikipedia: "Warrior of the Altaii is Jordan's first novel, which remained unpublished for more than 40 years" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/…moreAccording to wikipedia: "Warrior of the Altaii is Jordan's first novel, which remained unpublished for more than 40 years" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of... )(less)
Sam Reynolds From what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and becam…moreFrom what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and became the Wheel of Time.(less)

Start your review of Warrior of the Altaii
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Our drums began to play again, a battle beat, and the war flutes joined in. The masses of horsemen began to move, rolling forward in a tide that gained speed with every step. Their war cries drifted ahead of them, shrill in the cold air.
I nocked an arrow and drew it back to rest on my cheekbone, the bow held high. Salvation rests on the bow.’
~
I’m a huge fan of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan; it was a series I read some years ago that left such an impact on me, that I consider it to b
Claudia
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Good thing this wasn’t published and I didn’t read it before Wheel of Time , because I don’t think I'd have tried another one by RJ and I would have missed my favorite fantasy series of all times.

What can I can say about it? It's an action-packed story, with too much dialogue and almost non-existent worldbuilding or character growth. It feels rushed from start to end, with no details to enrich the world.

Still, one familiar with WoT universe can see where the inspiration of the Aiel and Aed S
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance

I was definitely drawn into this book by the foreword. I listened to this novel on audio and the narrator had full command of my listening using his amazing voice to read this story equally captivating and lingering in the right measure of speed.

Wulfgar is a respected warrior and the story of his people starts off slow in a drought-ridden land where others aren't as respectful about the current resources. Via authorized travel routes, Wolfgar rides his army into the city to have word w
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Robert Jordan, residents of Third Earth
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, can you believe what Panthro did to Snarf?

(please forgive the unfunny riff on the cover art)

Warrior of the Altaii was written over 40 years ago, and over a dozen years before Robert Jordan's magnum opus The Wheel of Time series saw the light of day. It is published now because...??? Possibly the resurgence of popularity due to the Wheel of Time's upcoming TV series played a role. Regardless, Jordan's books have never really fallen out of the limelight, so why not grant fans a look at his ne
Sotiris Karaiskos
A book that the author wrote more than 40 years ago, was never released, but in a strange way with this he was able to get into the field of fantasy and the rest are well known. A few days ago it was released after so many years and expectingly attracted the attention of his fans who are naturally interested in his first steps. On the other hand, of course, it also poses problems for us, since the objective approach is obviously impossible.

Reading it I found it to be quite good as it contains so
Eric Allen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty amazingly written for an author’s first attempt at a novel. The characters are a bit bland, but the world building is pretty good, and the story is entertaining. The beginning is a bit confused, with a lot of things happening, and not much explanation of them, but it pretty soon finds its stride. You can see a lot of ideas in this that eventually blossomed in the Wheel of Time. All in all, it wasn’t great, but it was still an entertaining book. It’s also probably the shortest ...more
Matías Racedo
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5/5 🌟
(Reseña en español cuando se traduzca la novela ja)
🍃
The watering holes of the Plain are drying up, the fearsome fanghorn grow more numerous, and bad omens abound. Wulfgar, a leader of the Altaii people, must contend with twin queens, warlords, prophets and magic in hopes of protecting his people and securing their future. Elspeth, a visitor from another world, holds the answers, but first Wulfgar must learn to ask the right questions.
But what if the knowledge that saves the Altaii
Christine
If you read and loved the Wheel of Time series this one might appeal as it has hints of what was to come. Having said that this book was definitely a debut novel. There wasn’t much world building and overall I found the dialogue a bit simple. Overall it was a fast read and for die hard WoT fans it’s got some merit but please don’t read this one first if you’ve never read anything by Jordan. Ratings wise I would say 3 stars and if I’m honest a lot of that is bc of my love of his WoT books lol
Hasham Rasool
I am really enjoyed reading this book.
RG
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more Conan than WoT. Simple barbarain story with an element of magic ( only females probably the only thing that roughly follows Wot). Short read about 340-50 pages which is much shorter than his future efforts. Just didnt have the scope. Much better fantasy out there. Will probably only appeal to Jordan fans.
Greg
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, but nah. Its written by Mr Jordan. It was the first book he ever wrote. So its significant for that fact alone. Its also outstanding quality for that fact alone. But by todays fantasy standards, by todays YA standards, its an average read. I see the name "Robert Jordan" and i think epic. This book isnt epic. Its more like one chapter of an epic. One battle of an epic. The fighting and combat is well written, in fact, its the book's highlight. About the only one, though.

The Altaii are plain
H. P.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-sf
Decades ago James Oliver Rigney Jr. wrote a book. That book allowed him to break into the publishing industry. He sold it several times. It established his working relationship with Harriet McDougal, who would become his wife. It led to his first published book, The Fallon’s Blood (as Reagan O’Neal). It led to a gig writing (eventually seven) Conan pastiches for Tor, this time as Robert Jordan, the pseudonym he would make famous. It also heavily foreshadows themes and elements from The Wheel of ...more
Kevin Potter
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing to understand is this is the first book Robert Jordan ever sold. As such, it is much more raw and less refined than the writing in The Wheel of Time.

For me, this is a positive rather than a negative. Although I very much enjoy the Wheel of Time, for me the writing is overly flowery. I prefer a simpler prose style.

Although there are clearly some elements of this story and world that harken to WoT, this has much more in common with Jordan's Conan novels.

About the audiobook narrato
Blodeuedd Finland
My phone never messes up, but this time, sigh, this audio listen was a mess.

See it started with a torture scene, and I thought, well this is strange, but ok it was Jordan's first book. maybe he meant to throw us in in the middle of things. Throughout I did feel that I had missed something, but it worked.

Then there came a foreword, and chapter 1 forward. And I realised that something had gone horrible wrong. And now I did not do it all over, I already had gotten my impressions. To actually do it
Christian
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a well-written self-contained novel with some Wheel of Time glimpses sown in.

You could tell the beginnings of some WoT ideas in this novel, which was fun to be able to discover after having finished the WoT series fairly recently.

I was surprised at how well written and how long Jordan wrote some battle scenes. It was really fun to read it from him, as WoT fans know of a famous battle or two. In my mind, the build-up of those battles were great with the actual time spent on it
Inverted Crosss
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
FFO : Conan - 70/80s Fantasy
There's something *cool/weird/incomparable/nostalgic* about reading Robert Jordan's first work.
A must for all the RJ/WOT fans out there.
Delaney Felix
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall I was a bit disappointed by this one. I agree with what a lot of others have said, that this is a product of its time, and moves at a pretty breakneck speed.

I've only read 4 Wheel of Time books but as I make my way through them I'm enjoying them more and more. I think if this had been my first Jordan I would've maybe been more impressed or I would've been turned off of his writing altogether.

For me it went too fast with too little character growth or arc of any kind. There were certain t
FTLOReading
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 but Im being a bit biased and giving it a solid 5, mostly for enjoyment, partially because of nostalgia and a great love for Jordan and the Wheel of Time Series.

Does it really deserve that high of a rating.

Yes! The Warriors of Altaii is one of the first manuscripts that Jordan presented and we are just now getting a rare treat in reading it posthumously. When I first heard of it back in the spring of this year I was quite excited. I've been a long time fan of the series. Im ashamed that th
Josh
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having a new Robert Jordan book come out in 2019 was a special treat, especially as it was one of the first novels he had ever written. This is a fascinating look into his early writing style, and to see the seeds of what would eventually become his great epic fantasy (and my personal favorite series), The Wheel of Time.

To me, however, this novel has a lot more in common with RJ’s Conan novels than the WoT. There are huge similarities between this and the Conan series. Even the main character is
Matthew Manchester
This was Robert Jordan's first manuscript. It is better than 90% of the books out there. I had a lot of fun with this one.

However, if you don't like barbarian-fantasy (and all that entails), you will not like this book.

SUMMARY

After thinking for a bit, I've decided this book is a more Conan-version of Jordan's The Shadow Rising and Brandon Sanderson's The Bands of Mourning. It's a more barbarian tale than the Wheel of Time (WOT) was, and it's far more mysterious.

The book is a standalone nove
Rui Mateus
WARNING: VERY MINOR SPOILER AHEAD

Starting this book felt very emotional because this is one of those gifts you don't get every day. This is the first book Robert Jordan wrote and it was published only now.

Everyone was saying how this has so much foreshadowing for The Wheel of Time and I couldn't wait. Well, it's true. There are so many things here that were developed in detail in The Wheel of Time that I think this world could be a different turning of the Wheel or simply one of those worlds tha
Dustin Cubit
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Legendary author, and one of my personal favorites, Robert Jordan posthumously releases the first novel he's ever written.

Warrior of the Altaii's short chapters and length make it an enjoyable and faced-paced read. I'm not at all familiar with barbarian fantasy from the 70's but this has piqued my interest, and I plan on checking out some of Jordan's Conan the Barbarian stories.

There are plenty of elements in the book that point to some of the ideas he had cooking in his head for his magnum opu
Jamie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to see a book 40 years old finally get published for the first time especially from a writer like Robert Jordan. The world building is great and I really enjoyed Wulfgar as a character. Typical in Conan style barbarian books there is nudity and sex but thankfully it’s more toned down than other books of this style. Fun barbarian sword and sorcery book. Recommend if your are a Robert Jordan fan or if you like Conan. Thanks for finally publishing this!

Also the maps are beautiful!
Tim
Warning - some spoilers ahead

It is so odd reading a new novel from an author that passed away 12 years ago now, even stranger yet that it was first written nearly 40 years ago now and just now getting published.

I can understand how authors sometimes have practice stories they write that never plan to have released but Robert Jordan's widow seen to getting the book released. And in some ways it is easy to see the budding of ideas that eventually blossomed into the Wheel of Time some 11 years late
Craig Wakefield
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were 15 books in the Wheel of Time fantasy epic by Jordan. True some of them were either co-authored or written by Brandson Sanderson. This was a great epic but at times towards the end seemed to lag under the burden of just too many pages.

The Warrior of the Altaii speaks of Wulfgar, indeed a true warrior of the Altaii. I am glad for the excellent beginning to a writing career by Jordan, but sad that the story was not continued of what occurs with the Altaii and Wulfgar. People and culture
Alicia Miller
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
I absolutely loved this story. Robert Jordan really knows how to immerse you in a world and create characters with the expertise of a magician. This really has me itching to get back into The Wheel of Time series.
Excellent book. I’ll be buying a copy for my forever shelves and future rereads.
David
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Rounded up from 3.5. RTC.
Breanna Spiegel
I work in a bookstore, so the day this book came out I was running around in the dark, before the store even opened, trying to find a copy of Warrior of the Altaii. It was totally worth it! Quick-moving, action-packed, and inventive, this book was everything I wanted it to be.

Posthumously published, Robert Jordan wrote Warrior of the Altaii before The Wheel of Time, as a standalone high fantasy. It was written in the days of sword and sorcery novels, which is very evident in the style and mater
Kyle
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Went into this book expecting to hate it. I mean, Jordan *is* the author of the Wheel of Time, after all. Then I remembered Conan, which also authored by Jordan. When I found out that this was written decades before WoT, I thought I’d give it a go. So I put myself on the library wait-list for the audio book. And loved it. It’s VERY reminiscent of the pulp fantasy that made Edgar Rice Burroughs famous a hundred years ago with John Carter and Tarzan, while also being distinctly unique enough to be ...more
Maddy
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did really like this Warrior of the Altaii, but I can’t bring myself to give it 4 stars. This book passes the bechdel test, but it is the literal antithesis of feminist literature. It’s a male barbarian power fantasy, and I never thought I would like something like that, but it’s surprisingly compelling, despite its faults. The main character is a Gary Stu, of course, how could he not be, with a name like Wulfgar? But that fits with the genre, and it was enjoyable. Being an attractive, powerfu ...more

• Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • Heart of Black Ice (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, #4)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Dark One Volume 1
  • Witch's Oath (Children of D'Hara, #4)
  • Wasteland (Children of D'Hara, #3)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)
  • Queen of Storms (The Firemane Saga #2)
  • The Original
  • The Last Druid (The Fall of Shannara, #4)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

Articles featuring this book

“Also, I was beginning to tire of waiting for the lightning. If it was going to strike, let it strike.” 0 likes