Start by marking “Warrior of the Altaii” as Want to Read:
Warrior of the Altaii

Warrior of the Altaii

Epic fantasy legend, and author of #1 New York Times bestselling series The Wheel of Time(R), Robert Jordan's never-before published novel, Warrior of the Altaii

Draw near and listen, or else time is at an end.

The watering holes of the Plain are drying up, the fearsome fanghorn grow more numerous, and bad omens abound. Wulfgar, a leader of the Altaii people, must contend with twi
Published October 8th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Warrior of the Altaii, please sign up.
Sam Reynolds From what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and…moreFrom what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and became the Wheel of Time.(less)

Eric Allen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty amazingly written for an author’s first attempt at a novel. The characters are a bit bland, but the world building is pretty good, and the story is entertaining. The beginning is a bit confused, with a lot of things happening, and not much explanation of them, but it pretty soon finds its stride. You can see a lot of ideas in this that eventually blossomed in the Wheel of Time. All in all, it wasn’t great, but it was still an entertaining book. It’s also probably the shortest ...more
H. P.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-sf
Decades ago James Oliver Rigney Jr. wrote a book. That book allowed him to break into the publishing industry. He sold it several times. It established his working relationship with Harriet McDougal, who would become his wife. It led to his first published book, The Fallon’s Blood (as Reagan O’Neal). It led to a gig writing (eventually seven) Conan pastiches for Tor, this time as Robert Jordan, the pseudonym he would make famous. It also heavily foreshadows themes and elements from The Wheel of ...more
Tim
Warning - some spoilers ahead

It is so odd reading a new novel from an author that passed away 12 years ago now, even stranger yet that it was first written nearly 40 years ago now and just now getting published.

I can understand how authors sometimes have practice stories they write that never plan to have released but Robert Jordan's widow seen to getting the book released. And in some ways it is easy to see the budding of ideas that eventually blossomed into the Wheel of
Michael Otto
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great sample beginning!
Calvinist Batman
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Robert Jordan's first manuscript. It is better than 90% of the books out there. I had a lot of fun with this one.

However, if you don't like barbarian-fantasy (and all that entails), you will not like this book.

SUMMARY

After thinking for a bit, I've decided this book is a more Conan-version of Jordan's The Shadow Rising and Brandon Sanderson's The Bands of Mourning. It's a more barbarian tale than the Wheel of Time (WOT) was, and it's far more mysterious.

The book is a standalone novel,/>
Unseen Library
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
For this week’s Waiting on Wednesday entry, I am going to look at a very special book that is coming out in a few months, Warrior of the Altaii, a previously unpublished piece of fantasy fiction by the late, great Robert Jordan.

Robert Jordan has to be considered one the greatest fantasy authors of all time, due to his creation of the legendary high fantasy series, The Wheel of Time. The Wheel of Time was a massive fantasy series, made up of 15 books (14 main novels and a prequel), wh
Allison
Craig Wakefield
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were 15 books in the Wheel of Time fantasy epic by Jordan. True some of them were either co-authored or written by Brandson Sanderson. This was a great epic but at times towards the end seemed to lag under the burden of just too many pages.

The Warrior of the Altaii speaks of Wulfgar, indeed a true warrior of the Altaii. I am glad for the excellent beginning to a writing career by Jordan, but sad that the story was not continued of what occurs with the Altaii and Wulfgar. People
Tonya OK
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty I will admit that, if this were not a Robert Jordan book, but a first novel by some random author, it would not earn 4 stars. It is a quick read and extremely engaging and fast-paced, but the characters are flat and the story just fizzles out in a way that’s not quite satisfying enough. What makes it a 4 to 5-star read for the fans of “The Wheel of Time” is that this novel is very clearly a seed from which that whole saga grew. It’s just so amazing watching the ideas that eventual ...more
Kraig
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m probably being generous by giving this 3 stars. It’s fine, a fairly typical sword and sorcery romp with a 70s/80s fantasy vibe. If it wasn’t Jordan and I wasn’t looking at it as a way to see hints for what WoT would become then I’d probably be giving it 2 stars.

There’s some similar themes between WoT and the action is good, but the dialogue and character development is largely cringeworthy. Still, interesting world and fun action and a quick read. Worth it if you’re a WoT fan jus
Christian
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a well-written self-contained novel with some Wheel of Time glimpses sown in.

You could tell the beginnings of some WoT ideas in this novel, which was fun to be able to discover after having finished the WoT series fairly recently.

I was surprised at how well written and how long Jordan wrote some battle scenes. It was really fun to read it from him, as WoT fans know of a famous battle or two. In my mind, the build-up of those battles were great with the
Daniel Sgranfetto
Quite a fascinating look at ideas that would become the Wheel of Time. There are so many little glimmers into the world building and fantasy elements that Robert Jordan would later expand upon so much. It's a great read if you're a fan of his work, however as a standalone book it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. There is a ton of setup, but not that much payoff. I'm honestly not completely sure how I feel about it, because everything is colored by my experiences with WoT.
Grace T
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Some things that could have been majorly expanded on, and some things that could have been majorly reduced. I'd probably only recommend to those who want to read everything Jordan has written, and even then it'd have to come with some caveats, but they're probably the people who'd most appreciate what is here.

(i haven't read any of the other reviews so i could be completely wrong but that's my personal take xD)
Robert Defrank
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing time-capsule of old-school Jordan. It's got the edge of his Conan books and a touch of the magic and themes of his WOT books, prior to the meandering and bloat. In contrast, we've got a very tight, focused story here about a noble nomad warrior leading his tribe to survival in the face of scheming city-dwellers, would-be tyrants and pretender gods. Worth checking out. Too bad about the lousy cover.
Sarah Pollak
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways this book reads like the young man’s first fantasy novel that it is (beautiful, lustful women and stoic, fearless warrior men) and in others it reads like the impressive forerunner of The Wheel of Time that it also is. It’s not perfect, but it’s still strong and very full of potential and I enjoyed reading it. Thankfully Harriet did too, otherwise we might not of gotten The Wheel of Time and I’m not sure what I would do without that amazing series.

Drew McCaffrey
3.5 stars. Fun, fast-paced, but very much a blank-slate protagonist and a product of its time. Lots of action and plenty of RJ's hallmarks as a writer, but also egregious amounts of female nudity and male-gaze-iness. I'm pretty sure there are more pages in this book where the women are "sky-clad" than where they're wearing clothes.
kerrycat
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was very entertaining, and great fun to read. definite WoT characters (precursors of) and WoT feel to it. I had to laugh when one of the twin queens wanted the main character for her sex slave (rolling my eyes) because this is so much a product of its time. I wish Jordan was here to see this finally in print.
Aaron Mullis
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really fun to read Jordan’s first book. It’s not as polished as his Wheel of Time stuff, and doesn’t fit together as seamlessly. Still it is nice to see his turn of phrases and beautiful world building style again.
Rachel
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was pretty cool to read since I've been a fan of TWOT for almost my whole life. There are so many things in this book that are like loose impressions of things from TWOT and its cool to see where his story and his writing grew. Definitely a fun read for fans of Jordan!
Sean
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Probably should've remained untold. At the very least, it needed a major revision.
Thomas Ballard
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I enjoyed this alot. It just reminded me how much I miss Robert Jordan. He was the Master.
Ted
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/17/2019 Borrowed from library/audio version/4 stars/good but not quite The Eye of the World good
Samuel Gagnon
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
FFO : Conan - 70/80s Fantasy
There's something *cool/weird/incomparable/nostalgic* about reading Robert Jordan's first work.
A must for all the RJ/WOT fans out there.
Thibaut Nicodème
I don't know how to feel about the idea of postmortem publication but i'm still intrigued okay
Tara
Alexander Wilson
Daniel Greene
Oct 16, 2019
Olga
Oct 15, 2019
David
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to 1