Start by marking “The Wicked Tree” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Tree

The Wicked Tree

Deep in the woods, a gnarled tree grows. Its thick, black trunk twists angrily up into the night sky. Held in place by the magic of a long-ago patriarch, it has waited centuries to lure a descendant into its trap.

Eleven-year-old Tavorian Kreet hates it when money troubles force his mom to move them in with his great-grandmother – though the historic house and grounds are
Published October 8th 2019 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Tree

Start your review of The Wicked Tree
Andrew
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wicked Tree is a classic spooky mystery with an uncommon amount of heart at its core. The story follows young Tav as he and his mom move back to the family land. Also inhabiting the creaky old house are mom's cousin Millie, the somewhat crusty and mean Grandma Eunice, stern Mrs. Green the caretaker, and her daughter Harper, aspiring gardener and up just one grade level from Tav.

Tav and Harper get off to a rocky start, but perhaps inevitably they're brought together by a shadowy mystery that
Bik
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two kids. An old plantation house. A cursed forest. A perfect set up for a creepy mystery.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Wicked Tree. It was just the right amount of spooky and heartfelt to be a satisfying read.

Without giving too much away, the two kids (Tav and Harper) unravel a mystery surrounding Tav's family and the cursed woods. Through their adventure, they discover secret rooms, derelict cabins, and a boy who may or may not be a ghost. The climax has Tav in the forest facing the heart
Malayna Evans
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on an adventure with young Tav, who, with the help of his unusual family, unwinds a family secret. Once I cracked it open, I couldn't put it down. It's fun, emotional, spooky and unexpected. Loved it!
Jessica
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, haunting debut will grab you from the very first page! The setting is delightfully eerie, the mystery is compelling, and Tav is SO easy to love. Absolutely don't miss this one!
Tonja Drecker
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spooks, mystery and heart make this into a read to get lost in.

Tav and his mother move back to the historic, family house. Not only are moves always a challenge, but this one includes living with relatives, who each of their own quirks. Getting settled in isn't Tav's only problem as a creepy mystery involving the surrounding forest unfolds. Together with his maybe new friend, Harper, secrets come to light...and they aren't good ones. Soon, Tav finds himself caught up against a dark evil, which t
Kaine
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jamie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.
The Wicked Tree is a middle grade story about two kids, a cat and a creepy tree in the middle of a forest. It was suspenseful and exciting without being too scary for young readers. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more works from this author. 4 1/2 stars!
Lisa Kraft
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Your heart belongs to Tav from page one. Your heart beats faster with him through every twist and turn of the story, and you can't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens next. A glorious debut by a very talented author.
Jacqueline Firkins
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to sharing this with my 10 year old nephew as I think it's perfect for his age and interests. Though marketed as middle grade, the voice is on the younger edge of the category and would potentially suit younger readers. That said, there's plenty of spookiness in here! Not only the titular tree, but secret rooms, enchanted weapons, mysterious spell ingredients, an old plantation with a dark history, and a few ancestors who do some truly evil deeds with their magic. The darkness is ...more
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya, ebook, arc
This was an entertaining-enough Middle Grade mystery/horror, though it was not without problems.

I'll start with what I liked:
- Decent pacing for the most part -- very few parts dragged but it didn't feel rushed, either.
- Really good depiction of childhood trauma & PTSD. Having worked with traumatized kids, I thought the way she wrote an 11-year-old shutting down and dealing with his flashbacks was very good.
- Decent characterizations of the mains. Really liked Tav and Harper. They felt like real
Lisa Schmid
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wicked Tree is a well-crafted mystery with a supernatural twist. I loved the eerie setting and the spooky vibe. It was a fast-paced enjoyable read. I especially loved the humor and the family secrets!
Bravo! I can hardly wait to read more from this debut author.

Phu
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this book a few weeks before Halloween and that was a perfect time to read it. The author did a great job building an eerie atmosphere.

There are many things to love about The Wicked Tree. What stood out most for me was the voice. Tav and his friend sound very real, whether through dialogues or in their thoughts. Their excitement, apprehension, even boredom will resonate with readers of the same age.
The adult characters are also believable, and the pacing is great.

Feelings of alienation,
Hauntedbybooks
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was such a fun, spooky mystery! I thought the characters were well written. The story was suspenseful and spooky with some humor too. I really enjoyed it!
Gretchen
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the right amount of spooky! I couldn't put it down.
Josh
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's so much here to like, but I was most moved by the endearing friendship between Tav and Harper, two characters who feel like real kids and whose relationship grows and changes over the course of the book in a fully satisfying way. Add to that some great ingredients like a slowly (but not too slowly) unfurling mystery, hints of dark magic and evil deeds of the past, and creepy scenes in the maybe-haunted woods, and you have all the elements of a fantastic debut novel.
Sandra Stiles
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tav and his mom have moved back to her old home estate due to finances. Four years before, Tav's father died in a fire and Tav feels responsible. When they move back to the old family estate he decides his great-grandmother is not very likable and his cousin Millie is nuts. She keeps talking about an old book and the woods. Mrs. Green the housekeeper and her daughter Harper also lives in the estate. She has forbidden her daughter from going into the woods. Tav's mother thinks it is okay for Tav ...more
K.A.
Jan 22, 2019
Mark Gottlieb
Jan 12, 2020
Kristin Thorsness
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Brittany Carter

• I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • The One and Only Bob
  • not gonna die in the dark: episode 1: a supernatural thriller
  • The Proper Way to Meet a Hedgehog and Other How-To Poems
  • The Case of the Hollywood Art Heist (The North Hollywood Detective Club, #1)
  • The Case of the Dead Man's Treasure (The North Hollywood Detective Club, #2)
  • The Case of the Christmas Counterfeiters: Classic Books for Boys, Mystery Books for Kids (The North Hollywood Detective Club Book 3)
  • Chronicles of a Nuclear World First Post-Apocalyptic Journal: “ Under the Ground”
  • Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)
  • Mythical Girls
  • The Impatient Dinosaur
  • The Worry Unicorn: (Anxiety Books For Kids, Emotions & Feelings, Children’s Books Ages 3 5, Preschool, Kindergarten)
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Kazu Jones and the Denver Dognappers
  • The Bad Dragon: (Anger books for kids, childrens, ages 3 5, picture books, preschool) (Emotions & Feelings)
  • The Tantrum Monster: (Childrens books about Anger)
  • When I am Stressed
Kristin Thorsness is a former 5th and 6th grade teacher who lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, their son and daughter, and two spoiled dogs. She likes dark chocolate, strong coffee, and creepy stories that keep her up reading late into the night. For more info or to get in touch, visit her online at www.kristinthorsness.com. ...more