Start by marking “Astro Girl” as Want to Read:
Astro Girl

Astro Girl

The stars are the limit for a little girl who acts out her wish to be an astronaut -- inspired by a very special person.

Astrid has loved the stars and space for as long as she can remember. "I want to be an astronaut!" she says to everyone who will listen. While her mama is away, Astrid and her papa have fun acting out the challenges an astronaut faces on a space mission
Published September 3rd 2019 by Candlewick Press

Start your review of Astro Girl
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

Astro Girl by Ken Wilson-Max has everything I love about picture books. Everything! We get…

--Big, colorful illustrations.
--Sweetness and heart.
--And a strong, inspiring message.

Plus facts! I learned something new here. Hope you do too.

Highly recommended. It inspires young readers to reach for the stars!

J.L. Slipak
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is a great story, I found myself enjoying it immensely. You learn about Astrid and her dreams before finding out what her mom does for a living. I pleasantly surprised and can imagine young female readers will experience this too.

The sentences are short, but dialogue is prevalent and may trick up new readers, so I would push this book toward a more advanced reader group of picture books. The paragraphs are short too. The
Linda
There is this little girl who wants to be an astronaut. Her name is Astrid and she moves happily through the day with her dad talking about her biggest wish. She's loved stars ever since she can remember, the story says. Her dad swings her round and round as he asks if she can survive going round and round the earth in a spaceship. He continues to tease with eating from a box or living with zero gravity, to which she answers, "I can do that all day long." The colorful black-lined illustrations ...more
Allie
Ken Wilson-Max does it again! I love his illustrations, but the clear and lovely text really knocks this one out of the park. The story is totally readable for basically any age story time, but I think it would be awesome to use in playgroup for babies and toddlers.
Alex  Baugh
This is a sweet story about a girl who wants to become an astronaut just like her mother.
Gina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some information about space without too much detail to be overwhelming but also some suggested names for future reading.

Positive images for girls.
Becky
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blast Off!

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://bookreadingtic.com/2019/09/28/... THANK YOU!

Have you ever had a passion for something that you wanted so badly that you could almost taste it? Little Astrid has that. She longs to be an astronaut and she thinks, breathes and dreams about it all the time. Despite her dad pointing out some hard things an astronaut has to do, Astrid still wants to reach her goal. She has a surprise at the end when she discovers someone else who had a dream about
Paula
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful but simple picture book about a young girl of color wanting to be an astronaut. Astrid shares this with her friend who is not at all surprised but wants her to bring back an asteroid for him. She also shares this with her father, who mentioned that the food might be different and throws her up in the air to get used to zero gravity. Papa also asks Astrid if she can handle the science experiments while they are making rocket ship cookies. Both of them are pictured buckled in to get ...more
Jana
This sweet picture book shares a story that lets young readers enjoy a special relationship between a father and his daughter and also shares the message that everyone, including girls, can reach for the stars. Astrid dreams of one day being an astronaut. She spends her free time studying the stars and planets. Her father encourages her by imagining what meals in outer space would be like, moving around in zero-gravity, and sleeping among the stars. When it's time to go pick their mother up to ...more
Brittany
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little girl wants to become an astronaut, so does astronaut activities all day with her dad; making rocket cookies, being thrown in the air to experience zero G, and more. At the end of the day her mom comes home and it is revealed she wants to become an astronaut to be just like her mom.

This book can help inspire girls and people of color to join STEM fields and helps to represent career mothers and stay-at-home dads.
Abby Johnson
This adorable picture book shows a little girl excited to become an astronaut one day as she and her daddy talk about the things astronauts have to do, like science experiments and living in zero gravity. Back matter includes short bios on a handful of female astronauts from around the world. This is a great women-in-STEM title for the youngest readers. Pair with MAE AMONG THE STARS for another story of girls dreaming of the stars.
Jo Oehrlein
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl loves the stars and aspires to be an astronaut.
With her father she "practices" for being in space -- eating packaged food, flying through the air in "zero g", etc. She thinks about what it would be like to be away from family like astronauts have to be.

At the end, they go to meet her mother, who has been away (in space!).

This book shows both love for all things space and a special relationship between father and daughter.
Jared White
Wow, I think this is the first picture book I can remember which clearly shows the father as the primary caregiver. It shows him cook breakfast for his daughter, play with her, and then make cookies with her. And (spoiler) the mother is in the science field, she's an astronaut!

A fun little book about a girl who wants to grow up to be an astronaut, just like her mom.
Becky
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a clever story - about a little girl who wants to be an astronaut! Her Dad asks her questions about all of the things she will have to do as an astronaut and she gives him a reason every time of why she can do it! In the end - the great surprise is that they get to go see an astronaut - her mom! Endearing story.
Brandy
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had heard about this book on social media so I kind of knew what was coming. I started crying about midway through because it’s just so important for our young girls, and our young girls of color to know they can do great things, that opportunities exist and not to let anyone tell them they can’t achieve amazing things in this world.
Sue Poduska
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a little girl, Astrid, is asked what she wants to be when she grows up, she insists that all she wants is to go into space. Papa is quick to point out the many difficulties with being an astronaut.
Karrie Chajkowski
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story and can’t wait to share it with preschool friends! Perfect conversation starter about space and astronauts!
Beth Parmer
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Meg
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A children's book about female astronauts. If one like it has not already been published, this one is overdue! Bold acrylic illustrations.
Erin
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute!
Kelly
Astrid is a little girl who wants to grow up to be an astronaut. She and her father go through the day pretending it's true.
Tracie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Astrid and their father talk about wanting to be an astronaut when they grow up.
Amy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very cute book for preschool age.
Great Books
Astrid is a little girl who loves space, and wants to become an astronaut, just like a very special person in her life.

Reviewer #9
PWRL
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
SM
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pre-school girl strives to be an astronaut.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Young girl wants to be astronaut like her mom.
Connie Heneghan
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Loved this book. A little girl and her very supportive father talk about what it will take to be an astronaut, like her mom.
Amanda
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved how the activities with the Papa and the daughter tied into all of the things that happen in space. Very positive and sweet and a great intro book about astronauts.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Scarecrow
  • Reading Beauty
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
Ken Wilson-Max was born and raised in Zimbabwe and studied design in the U.K. He is the author-illustrator of many children’s books. He says that he has always believed that people are more similar than different, and that that is worth celebrating. Ken Wilson-Max lives in London.