Start by marking “Our Favorite Day” as Want to Read:
Our Favorite Day

Our Favorite Day

Charmingly detailed illustrations help tell a touching tale of the bond between grandparent and grandchild in a quiet yet powerful debut.

"Thursdays are my favorite days."

"Mine, too."

Every morning Papa follows his normal routine. He drinks his tea, waters his plants, tidies up, and takes the bus into town. Papa enjoys his daily tasks, but there's one day each week that is
Published August 16th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Favorite Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Favorite Day

Start your review of Our Favorite Day
Abigail
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New & Engaging Picture-Books Featuring the Grandparent-Grandchild Bond
Papa keeps to his routine each day in this lovely picture-book from expatriate Korean author and illustrator Joowon Oh, drinking his morning tea, watering his plants and traveling into town by bus. On Thursdays however, he alters his routine somewhat, getting extra dumplings at his favorite restaurant, and buying supplies at the craft store. This is because Thursday is his favorite day: the day his little granddaughter comes to visit...

A debut for Oh, Our Favorite Day pairs a simple but poignant
Engel Dreizehn
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The "crafty" style of the illustrations really bring out a special yet "simple joy" day between grandparents and kids doing crafts together.
Becky
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so tender and sweet. I love the story of a man who wakes up everyday and goes through his daily routine....until Thursday - which totally sets itself apart because his granddaughter comes over. IT is just a delightful story and would be wonderful to share with a grandchild.
Karrie Chajkowski
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This beautiful story between a girl and her Papa demonstrates a fun relationship between grandparent and grandchild. Perfect to teach dialogue and narrative to students.
KDV
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this. The grandfather reminds me so much of myself! Ha! Those routines, man...
Annese
AHHHH, this is so sweet!!!
Erin
Every Thursday, Papa and his granddaughter spend the day together. In Our Favorite Day we get to look in on one of those Thursdays and I am so glad that we do. This is such a sweet, sweet book with beautiful illustrations that complement the beautiful relationship depicted.
Tasha
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Papa has a daily routine where he wakes up and drinks some tea. He waters his plants and tidies up the house. Then he takes the bus into town and has lunch at the same restaurant where he eats his favorite lunch: dumplings. Then he heads home and goes to bed early. The next day, his routine is much the same. But he stops in town at the craft store for a few things. And he orders his dumplings to go, along with a second serving. Back home, he waits patiently until his little granddaughter comes ...more
J.L. Slipak
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is an enchanting book about the relationship of a granddad and his granddaughter. Their special day is Thursday where they get to spend a lot of time together. Both look forward to this time. The story is sweet and endearing, and promotes quality time with grandparents. You get to see how both are excited for each Thursday.

For me, it's important for my daughter to spend as much time as she can with her grandmother. There are
Solia Martinez-Jacobs
Every morning Papa wakes up, has a cup of tea, and follows his daily routine. He rides the bus into town and eats dumplings for lunch, but Thursdays are different. On Thursdays, Papa gets his dumplings to go, picks up supplies at the craft store, and waits for his granddaughter to arrive. This heartwarming story about the relationship between a grandparent and grandchild relies more on illustrations than text, allowing pre-readers to follow Papa and his granddaughter through their special day. ...more
Linda

In bright and friendly watercolor and collage, Joowon Oh creates a loving picture book about one special day a week when Papa welcomes his granddaughter for her weekly visit. Deliberately going to bed early to prepare, stopping by an arts and craft store for supplies, plus two orders of dumplings to go, he is ready for that "run-for-a-hug" seen on the book's cover. My granddaughters live near and each has a special "grandma" day with me and like this story, I prepare according to specific
Abby Johnson
This is a sweet story about a grandfather and granddaughter who spend Thursdays together - their favorite day. Every day Papa gets up, takes the bus to town, has lunch at his favorite dumpling place... but Thursdays are special because that's when his granddaughter comes to visit and they do crafts together. This is a simple story that celebrates the love and bond between a grandparent and grandchild. Cute, happy illustrations pair nicely with the bright text. Pair this with I Really Want to See ...more
Kelsey
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Family: Grandpa (Papa) and granddaughter

From morning to night, we see an average day for Papa. He is content and appreciates his rituals. But the next day, he has the same morning but his afternoon starts to change. The reader is left in (slight) suspense until we see a young girl racing into the arms of her Papa. A simple and heartwarming celebration of intergenerational love.
Patricia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An older man performs the same routine every day, getting up, drinking tea, watering his plants, getting dressed, talking bus to town. He prepares for a visitor, his granddaughter, with whom he makes a kite, shares dumplings, then heads outside to fly it. Visuals are made crafty like the subject of kite making.
Amy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for School Library Journal, 9-3-19. Full review found here:

VERDICT: Less is more with this quiet, lovely read that celebrates the simple pleasures that a grandparent and child can share together. Strongly recommended for purchase.
Mary
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet little story, about the special bond between a grandfather and his granddaughter. Reminded me so much of my own relationship with my grandfather, and I was thoroughly charmed by the book!
Marcia
I loved everything about this book! The beautiful story of the connection between grandparent and grandchild, the cut-paper illustrations, the way doing a craft project together brings them such joy. A gem!
Virginia
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, library2019
This is so beautiful and loving and sweet. But it changes style partway through to being mostly told through dialogue, and at one point with no words at all. and while I like that, I was looking at it from a story time perspective, and it just won't work for that, for me.
Anne Lutomia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book about inter-generational relationships. Apart from gazing at the routine life of Papa (Grandfather), the author also invites us to spend "Our Favorite Day" a Thursday with papa and his grand child eating together and doing craft together. Easy and beautiful illustrations.
Shauna Yusko
3 1/2. Pair with Drawn Together
Cheryl Baker
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a LOVELY ODE TO THE BOND BETWEEN GRANDFATHER AND CHILD.
Sydney
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute reminder to remember our elders and how the young can bring them back to life. An encouraging message!
Michele Knott
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is absolutely something special in the relationship between a grandparent and grandchild.
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet celebration of the bond between a grandfather and granddaughter.
Norkett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very sweet story about a grandpa and granddaughter getting together each week. The illustrations were like paper dolls coming off the pages, very cool.
Mary
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really lovely story about a grandfather and granddaughter having a great day together. Simple enough text to read aloud to 3-5 y/o.
Kristin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one warmed my heart and made me smile.
Diane
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A grandfather and grand daughter spend Thursdays together and it is their favorite day.

Sweet.

• Roar Like a Dandelion
  • A Place to Land: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Speech That Inspired a Nation
  • A Map Into the World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Joowon Oh is originally from South Korea. She earned a BFA in illustration and an MFA in illustration as visual essay from the School of Visual Arts in New York. She works primarily in watercolor with a little bit of gouache and paper collage. Our Favorite Day is her picture book debut. She lives in New York City.