Start by marking “The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle” as Want to Read:
The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle

The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle

(The Princess in Black #7)

Something smells like trouble! Can five princess heroes and one Goat Avenger pool their talents to vanquish a monstrous stink?

The Princess in Black is in a very stinky situation. A foul cloud is plaguing the goat pasture, and it smells worse than a pile of dirty diapers or a trash can on a hot summer day. But every time the Princess in Black and her friend the Goat Avenger
Published November 26th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle

Start your review of The Princess in Black and the Bathtime Battle
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This was such a cute book! Both my five and three year old girls loved it. They sent almost an hour just looking at the pictures together when we first got it. As we read it, they loved the story, laughing and always wanting one more chapter.
Debbie Barr
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
These books are always so fun, and perfect for young readers!
Lisa
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a stinky smell coming from the goat pasture. Princess Magnolia must become the Princess in Black to help the Goat Avenger blow out the stink - but the smell has to go somewhere, so as it invades each kingdom, the other masked heroes come to help. Maybe the smell isn't the problem - perhaps they need to find out what is causing the stink.

Shannon and Dean bring us another terrific chapter book with amazing illustrations by LeUyen Pham, I love this series! Short chapters with easy text, a
Alicia Evans
A terrible smell is torturing everyone and the Princess in Black must work with other masked defenders to fight it. Readers will enjoy the compelling plot, the consistent structure/humor throughout, and the range of diverse characters here. However, considering all of the princesses that are now heroes, it's a little silly that they can't figure out who the others are, and some disguises are better than others. The end also gives the impression that there is much more to come from this series, ...more
Melissa
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read this series yet, so we got the first book and read that first. My 4-year-old and I loved it! The illustrations are so much fun and I loved the story of the fiery princess. The first half of this sequel is pretty repetitive as each of the princesses in different areas smell the smell and transforming to heroes. I do like the message of everyone coming to work together and they can’t conquer a monster on its own. I like the diversity of the heroes. The series is so much fun to read ...more
John Clark
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series I've read. It's funny, engaging, well illustrated and easily holds the reader's interest. Each princess and their pet has a secret super hero alter persona. As the cloud of stink gets pushed away from each kingdom, another superhero pair gets involved, but nobody seems to be able to figure out where the stench came from, or how to get rid of it. Ultimately, those living in the place where it originated become just as nauseated, precipitating a crisis that leads to ...more
AMY
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-3
90 pages. Another great adventure for the princess proves a challenge. This time there is a terrible smell in the kingdom and no one knows where it is coming from. Luckily the princesses and the Goat Avenger join forces to figure it out and get rid of the stench somehow. Color illustrations add to the drama. Girls will like this one, especially if they are already into the series. Highly recommended for Grades 2-3.
Stephanie P
I received a copy of this book from the publisher to review.

This is a really fun addition to the series that we already love with lots of exciting clandestine adventures and a chance for minor characters to shine. We read the whole thing in one sitting like we often do with this series. My 4 and 6 year old love to have this series read aloud to them and my 6 year reads it on his own now as well.
Pam
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
The Princess in Black and the Goat Avenger learn to work with other superheroes to solve a major problem. They accidentally send the problem to other kingdoms rather than solve it before everyone unites and works together to rid the kingdoms of the horrible stench.
Vivid illustrations bring the story to life as usual.
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shannon Hale changes up the format of the series in this entry by not revealing what the cause of the stink is until almost the end. Several more princesses in disguise are also introduced paving the way for even more fun in future additions. Fan of the series will be happy to know there is still the signature fight scene with a monster.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as adorable and fun to read as the rest of the series. I love how many princesses come to help and the cute ways they disguise their pets/companions. There were many giggles to be found within these pages. My daughter and I both enjoyed reading it.
Engel Dreizehn
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
All such a big stink is stinking up the kingdom and it can't passed on to be someone esle's problem! Looks like the Princess in Black and her friends will need to work together. What I find hilarious is all the alteregos the other Princess and their pets (hehe thats a big bunny!) take on!
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
Love that we get to explore the consequences of just sending the stink away.

Love that all the other princesses have gotten in on the hero action now.

Love that the solution is working together to resolve the root cause of the problem.

And glad that we got to defeat a monster in the end.
Robyn Hood
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I love this series for young kids. A Princess and a Super Hero? Love it. And I like how all her friends have also joined in too. Cute read. I have definitely recommended this series to parents, and will continue to do so ...more
Earl
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first, I didn't think I would like this latest installment because it felt different from the others but as the story progressed, I was reminded why I love recommending this series. I'm very excited about what the future adventures will be about.
Crystal
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book from the publisher.

Another fun tale from the PIB series! This book features a diverse group of young heroes working together to solve a BIG stinky problem. It takes creativity and collaboration, but together they are able to save the day from a giant stink.
Joy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, childrens
This might be my favorite Princess in Black yet! Short and hilarious, with fabulous illustrations by LeUyen Pham, these are delightful first chapter books for young readers (and can be enjoyed by those older too).
Faith Hough
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of the Princess in Black stories, but boy do I love the readability and illustrations. That fluffy monster!
Jennifer Diane
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter is obsessed with these! Just trying to keep up with the times!
Marisa Maloney
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have this book to my daughter for Christmas. I love that books can bring as many squeals as toys. I had her read me aloud this book as my last one for the year.
Cara Byrne
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a monster problem requires lots of help and lots of bubbles. Another sweet addition to the Princess in Black series
Bethe
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Winter break bookaday 26. Usual reliable easy chapter book with all the Princess in Black buddies. Love the pattern to the chapters when each new princess encounters the big stink.
Danica Midlil
Both kids find this series hilarious! The hard part is the long wait for the next new one.
Catherine
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love reading The Princess in Black books with my children. The illustrations are adorable and the stories are fun and imaginative. This story involved a lot of different princesses as the heroes and it looks like there will be new characters in future books.
emyrose8
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-buy
Super cute! I love how the princesses team up again to battle stink. Lots of repetitive text for the young reader to read on his/her own. The ending hints at more adventures to come...
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A. Dor. A. Ble. I want a fluffy monster.
Sara
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books, own
This may be our favorite one yet!
Anoush
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Saving the day is more fun...and sometimes more possible...with friends!
Sarah Sammis
More heroes to the rescue.
Allie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
All the princess, I mean, superheroes, get together to tackle a dirty job. NO BATH. NO GOATS.

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • White Bird
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love
  • A Royal Ride: Catherine the Great's Great Invention
  • Dinosaur Feathers
  • Just Because
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Havoc at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #1)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • How the Dukes Stole Christmas
  • When the Rogue Returns (The Duke's Men, #2)
  • A Dangerous Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • The Okay Witch
  • Stargazing
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's ...more

The Princess in Black (7 books)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • The Princess in Black and the Hungry Bunny Horde (The Princess in Black, #3)
  • The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation (The Princess in Black #4)
  • The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate (The Princess in Black #5)
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)