Start by marking “Just in Case You Want to Fly” as Want to Read:
Just in Case You Want to Fly

Just in Case You Want to Fly

A perfect book to share with the little ones you love, from bestselling author Julie Fogliano and Christian Robinson, Caldecott Honoree and author-illustrator of Another .

just in case you want to fly
here's some wind
and here's the sky

Funny and sweet, told with lyrical text and bright, unexpected illustrations, Just in Case You Want to Fly is a celebration of heading
Published October 8th 2019 by Neal Porter Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Just in Case You Want to Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just in Case You Want to Fly

Start your review of Just in Case You Want to Fly
Melki
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
The predominant message here seems to be that if you have love, you have all you need to
description for anything.

This is a sweet little rhyming book, with wonderful illustrations by Christian Robinson.

description
Emily
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just lovely. Rhymes are clever and flow easily, and I'm forever a Christian Robinson fan.
Abby Johnson
This heartfelt picture book shares affirmations of love along with cute, spunky illustrations. It would make a sweet gift for new parents.
Luann
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think I must have been in the wrong mood to enjoy this. I kept being bothered by the complete lack of capital letters and almost no punctuation throughout the text. I know poets are given the artistic license to play around with the conventions, but I didn't like it. It got in the way of my enjoying the message of the words. I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't see anyone else here mentioning it in their reviews.

Also, since I was already bothered by the text, it was easy for me to find
Linda
A poetic bedtime story from Julie Fogliano takes the reader (child) on a journey offering some real and some fantastic things, chuckling all the way until bedtime! "Here's a cherry if you need a snack/ and if you get itchy here's a scratch on the back" lies on one double-page spread with Christian Robinson's collaged rhinoceros holding a cherry on its horn and a small bird giving that scratch! Toothbrushes, pillows, and blankets appear, too. It will be a fun read-aloud at bedtime.
Amy Layton
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
With adorable, lyrical, and rhyming text, this book allows for a world in which children explore and have everything that they need. Illustrations include a diverse cast of children, and Robinson's usual engaging style.Just in Case You Want to Fly suggests that regardless of attempt, journey, or adventure, there will always be something or someone to back the reader up, making for a comfortable and delightful read. Great for grades K-2!

Review cross-listed here!
Theresa
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A sweet story that seeks to reassure little ones that they're safe and loved as they make their way out in the world. I really like the theme of the story and I loved the beautiful cut-paper illustrations, but the rhyming pattern got off track just past the midpoint and became distracting, causing me to go back and reread it a few times just to make sure. It took me out of the story and I think it would be a challenge as a read-aloud book.
Elisabeth
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this duo and getting to hear them talk about their collaboration during a stop on their book tour was the best.
Rebecca
A sweet book, perfect for closing out the day at bedtime. Cut-paper illustrations by Christian Robinson -- very diverse characters as always.
Maddie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A cute supportive story about helping whoever the story is being read to learn to reach their dreams.
Shanna
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet and heartfelt book for bedtime (or any time)!
Hannah
May 25, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
JUST IN CASE YOU WANT TO FLY recalls the whimsy of Ruth Krauss and the snuggly quiet of the best bedtime stories. Sure to create sweet dreams for any reader, this beautiful book is a must-add to every little one's library.
Amanda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
What happened to the internal rhyme scheme? It just went whammy some where along the way! Things were so beautiful and moving and then *stumble trip* I fell right out of the story and the book and landed on my head. Ouch!
Rachel
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Similar to other books by Julie Fogliano, "just in case you want to fly," is a book about noticing the little things in life, even when you're on a very big mission. This book shares with readers what they will need if they want to fly, including wind and the sky (of course), but also a snack and a rock and a "la la la," as well as a joke and a dream. No matter where you go and what you bring, readers are reminded of the way to get home.

This book is beautiful, both visually and narratively.
Tasha
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This poetic picture book invites children to take a journey, up into the sky with the some wind, a feather, and a butterfly’s wing. On the adventure, there is are other things offered just in case. Just in case you get an itch, here’s a scratch on the back. Here is a fork and a spoon, a rock and a wish. There are jokes, bells that ring, and your toothbrush too. Honey for tea, a pillow for bed, a blanket, a dream and kisses on the head.

This book is exhilarating and filled with dreams of journeys
Barbara
Paint and collage illustrations accompany reassuring text that reveals that there is always someone providing support to a child intent on venturing out into the great unknown. I really liked how the book opens with the phrase "just in case you want to fly..." and then follows that with listing various things that someone will provide to support that ambition. Each page features something that will make readers smile--a toothbrush stuck inside the spots, now holes and holders, on a giraffe--or a ...more
Cara Byrne
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"just in case you want to fly/here's some wind/and here's the sky/here's a feather/here's up high/and here's a wing/from a butterfly [...] here's a pillow/and here's a song/for when you go to bed/and just in case you want to cry/here is a tissue/and here's a sigh/here's an umbrella/in case it rains/and some honey for your tea/and here is a map/with an x on the spot/to find your way/home to me."

This brief picture book is so lovely, and I didn't know I needed a Fogliano and Robinson
Margie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Just in case you want to fly (Neal Porter Books, Holiday House, October 8, 2019) written by Julie Fogliano with illustrations by Christian Robinson
The Children's Book Podcast

Words from the narrator offer encouragement to readers no matter what they want to do; someone will be there with them every step of the way. And if they need it, a way back home will be provided with tender affection. In a word---enchanting.

My full recommendation: https://librariansquest.blogspot.com/...
Lauren Krebs
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, love, picture-book
This book goes through a list of objects that you "need" in order to fly. At the end of the story you see that all the objects that were talked about earlier in the book are on a blanket that a little boy snuggles with to go to sleep. The message of the story is to remember that you are loved and to always "fly" back home. Even though this book was cute I would not use it in my classroom due to the lack of proper punctuation and capitalization. Instead I would use it at home with children about ...more
Teresa Bateman
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this gently sweet, rhyming book, the rhythm of a mother's love is portrayed through all the things she would give her child to help her achieve her goals. Wings, wind, and sky if she wants to fly. A tune if she wishes to sing, and a joke if she wants to laugh. And, in the end, a comforting map to lead her home again. The paint and collage illustrations are blocky and imaginative. This would be a good bedtime book.
Krissy Neddo
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was hoping this would be a new book for my fifth grade teachers to read in June as the kids graduate from elementary school. Didn't quite fit that message for me. It felt more like a HS or college graduation gift. Also a bit too vague or deep or I don't know, just not a good fit for my elementary collection.
Heather Kinser
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magical! When I read this book, I feel like I'm inside the child mind, where anything can happen and wherever you go, you carry loved-ones' wishes and hopes with you like lucky charms. Browsing through it in a bookstore, it only took a few seconds to fall in love. I found myself instantly teleported to the cash register. Utterly charming and original!
Maygan Cygert
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Realistic Fiction
K-4th
I fell in love with this book as I read it. To me it’s saying that no matter what you need or where you go, your mom and your family will be there for you to look back and go back home to. So pursue all your dreams because you can always come back home again.
Jj
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, just lovely. Julie Fogliano's words are reminiscent of writers like Ruth Krauss and Margaret Wise Brown in their lyricism and tone, paired quite nicely with post-modern illustrations courtesy of the amazing Christian Robinson.
Nicole
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a super cute book! I love the illustrations and the story about what you need when flying away and how there is always someone waiting for you to come home. I think this would also make a great graduation gift.
Pam
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the spirit of Margaret Wise Brown's "Important Book", Julie Fogliano's "Just in Case You Want to Fly" is a list of things the reader is given "just in case...". Fun and action-packed illustrations by Christian Robinson bring laughter and intrigue to the page.
Erin
With inclusive illustrations, the reader sends the listener off to bed. Presumably this listener is ready to dream, and the reader is equipping the listener accordingly with everything they need.

Favorite part: the joke. Bye, son. omg.
FM Family
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a calm and relaxing book with great pictures but it didn't really come together for me. It felt like some random ideas, a bit of a journey through a kids day, but ultimately nothing that really stood out from other books.
Heidi
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story which encourages readers (and listeners!) to think about what's important in their lives and how each of those things can lead to a splendid adventure. Amazing illustrations by Christian Robinson are quirky and include lots of animals--so cute!
Andrea
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This comforting, relaxing tale reminded me of A Mouse told his Mother by Bethany Roberts or Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown. The sweet poem is illustrated very nicely. A delightful lap book that would be great before bed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Shortest Day
  • Why?
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • I Wonder
Julie Fogliano has spent her entire life reading children's books. She lives in the Hudson Valley with her husband and three children.