Start by marking “A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised): The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America's Domestic Architecture” as Want to Read:

Here at last: the fully expanded, updated, and freshly designed second edition of the most comprehensive and widely acclaimed guide to domestic architecture--in print since its publication in 1984, and acknowledged everywhere as the unmatched, essential reference to American houses.

Focusing on dwellings in urban and suburban neighborhoods and rural locations all across the
Published December 3rd 2013 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised)

Start your review of A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised): The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America's Domestic Architecture
Mattyk
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A tome. It’s all in there. Lots of photos. I would have liked more history but it reads more like a dictionary than an encyclopedia. It’s a reference book.
Jeremy Fadollone
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
A concise and thorough read an excellent field guide not just in the area of architecture but also the history and development of the domestic homestead.
Parliament
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
For those who admire houses as they ride through a city or rural highway, but don't know how to journal about them or describe them to friends in their travel letters.
A good teacher. Taught me vocabulary, for real. Taught me how to be specific when deciding what house I would want, or how to write about houses as I ride through a city; from their arches to the doorframes to the detailing. Taught me the roofstyle of "hipped pyramid" which gives a Millenium Mansion or New Traditional vibe. Taught
Jerry
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Great book on the architecture of home in the United States.
Neil
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most useful book I've ever read. Survey takers know what I'm talking about. ...more
Asia
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough and great examples. Excellent reference guide. I used to understand my own home's intended features and architectural details. ...more
Mark Irby
Jan 01, 2020
Natasha
Aug 25, 2020

• Restoring Your Historic House: The Comprehensive Guide for Homeowners
  • The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness
  • The Pale King
  • Float Plan
  • Vera
  • The Great Lakes Water Wars
  • The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas
  • Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast
  • The Essential Mexican Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker
  • The Death and Life of the Great Lakes
  • The Source: How Rivers Made America and America Remade Its Rivers
  • A Student’s Guide to Bayesian Statistics
  • Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Bright, Precious Days
  • Nothin' to Lose: The Making of KISS (1972-1975)
  • Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group
  • Brian Froud's World of Faerie

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »