Start by marking “Frank and Bean” as Want to Read:

Frank and Bean

When the introspective Frank meets the gregarious Bean, can they find a way to make beautiful music together? Dry wit and hilarious illustrations introduce a new unlikely pair.

Frank likes peace and quiet. He likes his tent, his pencil, and writing in his secret notebook. Bean likes noise. He likes his bus, his trumpet -- toot, toot! -- and making music. Loud music. But
Published October 8th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Frank and Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frank and Bean

Start your review of Frank and Bean
La Coccinelle
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
This is a weird one. At first, I didn't like it at all. Bean was annoying. But then... it grew on me. And now I think it's kind of fun.

Frank and Bean is a short, illustrated chapter book for kids about a couple of foodstuffs who are as different as they come. Frank likes peace and quiet so he can write in his secret notebook. Bean is LOUD. And messy. But he's parked his van near Frank's campsite, so Frank has to put up with him. Eventually, it comes out that Bean is looking for words for the
Storywraps
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This fun book is divided into four chapters and is perfect for a beginning reader. Frank is a quiet introvert who covets his secret notebook. He loves to be alone so he can compose his thoughts and ideas in private. Bean, on the other hand, is a LOUD musician who loves to BLAST his trumpet, BEAT is drums, STRIKE his triangle, RRRROAR on his motorbike and BANG on his gong. What happens when theses total opposites find themselves camping out side-by-side. Oh my!

Frank is annoyed at the audacity of
Lauren Paletta
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frank and bean are two very different people. Frank is quiet and likes to write in his secret notebook. Bean is loud and won't sit still, but the worst is, he can't write songs for the music he makes. A silly story of two different people teaching each other very important lessons, while becoming wonderful friends. Maybe even rock stars?!
#Netgalley
Etienne
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
A book that some might consider has a fun adventure, but for me it was just a boring story that didn’t bring anything. I wouldn’t recommend reading it. It has decent review so far (3.91/5 out of 11 ratings (which isn’t much)) so maybe it’s just me but I didn’t like it!
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all know they belong together - but will they ever put their differences aside and finally team-up? Read this fun book to find out!
Anika
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-reader
From the author that brought us Joe and Sparky, comes a delicious new duo! Michalak serves up delightful laugh-out-loud moments in the first installment of her newest early-reader series. Bob Kolar's illustrations are perfect with the text. Readers will find lots to savor in this warmhearted "odd couple" tale of friendship and having the courage to share your words. A must-have for home and school libraries.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Before I read a book to or with my grandchildren, I always read it first. I read this one and was not impressed, but wanted to see what my grandson thought. Well, he thought it was great. He was also able to read bits himself, so it was a truly shared experience.

Frank and Bean is a short, illustrated chapter book for kids about a couple of foods that are often eaten together, but with personalities that are as different as night and day. Frank likes peace and quiet so he can write in his secret
Michele Knott
I'm really hoping this will be a series because there is so much in here that young readers will enjoy. Friendship, music, and laughter prevail with these two unlikely friends. Frank (the hot dog) likes is quiet, calm, and predictable. Bean (the, uh, bean...) is loud, silly, and doesn't always understand social cues. Frank is a writer, although he likes to keep his writing under wraps. Bean is a musician who is looking for a song. While the ending may be predictable, it's pretty funny how they ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 2.5 STARS
2019; Candlewick Press
(Review Not on Blog)

I really like the illustrations in this book, but found the story so-so.

**I received an eARC from NETGALLEY***
Sandy
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable easy reader. The story is cute and the illustrations are charming. I recommend!
Jennifer Fischer
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frank and Bean is a beginner chapter book about a hot dog named Frank. All Frank wants to do is write in his notebook, but he needs peace and quiet in order to concentrate on his writing. Frank FINALLY finds a quiet place to write and has an evening of quiet. However, the next morning Bean shows up with his noisy bus full of noisy instruments. Frank tries to ask Bean to leave, but it is too noisy and Bean doesn't understand what Frank wants. When night comes again, Bean finally settles down ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frank writes, Bean pays music. In 4 short chapters the reader finds out the problems Frank and Bean have being alone, and then how they learn to cooperate. Cute story and illustrations.
Laurie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you ever written a story or a poem but you are afraid of showing anyone because you are afraid they will laugh at you? Well, that is exactly how Frank felt. Frank liked being alone so that he could write in secret, but being alone just means roasting marshmallows by yourself and having no one to say good night to you. One day while Frank was quietly writing in his notebook he hears a whole lot of commotion. That is when Bean enters into his life with his bus, his musical instruments, and a ...more
Nelda Brangwin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey! Friends don’t have to have the same interests, just look at quiet Frank and noisy Bean. In this early reading book, four chapters show how Frank and Bean come to appreciate each other. The digital art and the large bold face onomatopoeia words enhance the fun of reading about these two zany, wacky friends. (Library Thing review copy)
Annie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this early chapter book at the school's book fair. It was a cute read, especially for boys in first, second or third grades(depending on their reading level).

Margie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two words with similar sounds have completely different meanings. Being alone is empowering, reminding us to seek and experience our best qualities in silence, contemplation and creativeness. It's energizing. In some respects, lonely is the opposite of alone. It's a feeling of being lost, unsure and out of balance. It's an unwelcome weight.

When people see someone alone, they might believe they are lonely but a verbal exchange, a short conversation, can reveal the truth. Sometimes in this
Clare Bird
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frank and Bean

by Jamie Michalak (Goodreads Author), Bob Kolar (Illustrations)

I give Frank and Bean four out of five birds. My first impressions of both Frank and Bean were “they’re annoying…” But as I kept turning the pages they won me over and had me laughing by the end. It reminded me we don’t always know why someone is the way they are. I thought Frank was just being a brat, but he was scared. So I think that’s a great talking point with this book. I also think this is a perfect starter
Christina Potter Bieloh
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a funny and engaging story! First, the illustrations are beautiful and add so much to this great story of friendship. There's great dialogue and humor as these two get to know each other. Frank and Bean could not be more different, but as they get to know each other, they find that they fit well together as friends. Frank is lonely and needs a friend. Bean never met a stranger, but he needs a good friend too who can help him fulfill his dream. It's no spoiler, given the title, to say that a ...more
Martha
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
Frank who comes encased in a roll and hat with a head light atop, is busy writing in his secret notebook in the quiet woods. Uh-oh along comes a noisy camper parking right next to cerebral Frank. Bean, (yes he looks like a lima bean) has a trumpet, drum, and a loud motorbike, the peace is gone for Frank. However before long they find common ground in their love of words and song. Will they make music together? This is a clever tale about friendship, and finding the right words. The vocabulary is ...more
Katherine
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a delightful sweet story about quiet, serious Frank and noisy, fun-loving Bean. Frank wants to write in his top secret journal. Bean wants to be noisy and make music. I thought this was a fun way to introduce compromise and how someone's weakness may be another person's strength. A great story about working together!

I loved the sweet artwork and I really think this is a book children will enjoy.

Thank you to #Goodreads and the publisher for an advanced electronic copy in exchange for
Franny Burd
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Oh, how I love this book! Frank and Bean are very different, but somehow their friendship works to make them each better. The story is fun and engaging, the illustration fabulous. Kids will love Frank and Bean! I only wish it was around when my sons were young, they would have loved it! Very highly recommended!
Abby Johnson
Opposites attract in this humorous early chapter book featuring Frank (who likes peace and quiet) and Bean (who likes lots of noise and activity). Although they're very different, Frank and Bean will come together to make music together that celebrates both of their strengths. This is a funny early chapter book that I would hand to fans of Bink & Gollie or Frog & Toad.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Frank and Bean by author Jamie Michalak is a fun, cute Children’s book that has been read many times at our home already! The kids and I love it!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Joe P
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bam! Family fav!!! Great bedtime read for the kids. We have two very different kids and this little read lets them know its OK to be yourself and do your thing. We are looking forward to more adventures & shenanigans!
Susan Anderson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frank and Bean is a cleverly written story! This book was hilarious and beginning readers will love it as I did.
Two opposites can enjoy each other- a lesson that is so important for kids!!!! This book is s MUST!!!
Rebecca Rodriguez
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clever, funny story with engaging illustrations. My kids love Frank and Bean and it has become a favorite bedtime read!
Stephanie Croaning
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A funny friendship story that is great for young readers who are ready to venture into beginning chapter books, but have advanced past the step 1 readers.

Beginning chapter book, fiction
by Jamie Michalak; illustrated by Bob Kolar
Candlewick Press, 2019
4 out of 5 stars

This book is humorous with fun illustrations. Frank, the hot dog, is quiet and loves to write in his secret notebook. Bean enters his life with a trumpet, drum, motorbike, gong, and a bus with "Bean the Musical Fruit" written on the
Riley
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary
Early Reader

I am not going to lie here, Frank and Bean is a very strange but funny story. It follows a hotdog (Frank) that likes the quiet and to read, as he heads up to the woods for a peaceful camping trip, when it is rudely interrupted by a kidney bean (Bean) in his musical bus as he is on tour. The two initially have some conflict, (naturally) but eventually become the best of friends.

The story itself is written with simple sentences easy for a new reader ( 5-7) to navigate, and the story
Terry
Feb 21, 2020 added it
2019 Cybils Easy Reader finalist

This is a fun - if not predictable - story of friendship. Kids will enjoy "figuring out" the humor in Frank's name, as well as some clever wordplay that fits them both. Although different, both Frank and Bean have strong personalities. Frank is a bit direct, which is more likely adult-discerned, but still fits his name. Bean's persona is more obvious because most of his dialogue is written in all caps.

Click to see more about this book with hot dog humor,
Kaitlyn
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*I received this book from NetGalley and Candlewick Press in exchange for an honest review*

I found this book to be a bit weird for me, it took me some time for me to like it. I enjoyed the humour within the book, I found myself smiling while reading it. The illustrations added to the story - I like to look for little details that can be easily overlooked when looking at the illustrations. This book is perfect for beginner readers; there was lots of repeated words that young children can quickly

• Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Stop! Bot!
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Saturday
  • The Perfect Birthday Recipe
Jamie Michalak is the author of more than thirty children's books, including the highly praised Joe and Sparky series of early readers and SO YOU WANT TO CATCH BIGFOOT?

When not writing, she can be found racing cars, walking planks, or riding in the Millennium Falcon with her two sons. Jamie was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, and grew up in the same neighborhood where Dr. Seuss once lived.