Start by marking “Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!” as Want to Read:
Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!

Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!

(Chick and Brain #1)

From Newbery Honor winner Cece Bell comes an offbeat, pitch-perfect storybook for beginning readers that will have them in fits of giggles.

"Maybe your foot smells good.
Maybe your foot smells great.
But I will not smell your foot until you say PLEASE."

Meet Chick and Brain. And their friend Spot. Chick likes to follow the rules. Brain might not be as smart as he looks. And
Published September 3rd 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Chick and Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chick and Brain

Start your review of Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
Sara
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the weirdest picture books I've read in a while - in a very good way though!
Richie Partington
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: CHICK AND BRAIN: SMELL MY FOOT! by Cece Bell, Candlewick, September 2019, 72p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-7936-1

Brain wants his buddy Chick to smell his foot.

“‘Smell my foot!’
‘What?’
‘Smell my foot!’
‘No. I will not smell your foot.’
‘Oh, come on! Smell it!’
‘Smell it now!’
‘No. I will not smell your foot.’
‘But my foot smells good.’
‘My foot smells great!’
‘Maybe your foot smells good.’
‘Maybe your foot smells great.’
‘But I will not smell your foot until you say PLEASE.’
‘Like this: Please smell
Mary Thompson
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Your kids will be rolling on the ground with laughter!
Amy
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This humorous early reader graphic novel tells the story of friends Chick and Brain. Chick is obsessed with manners and Brain can’t quite master them even though he LOOKS smart (there’s a big brain on top of his head). When a dog politely invites Chick over for lunch because Chicks smell yummy, Brain is smart enough to see the peril while Chick is distracted by manners. The story is relayed in panels with speech bubbles. Spare watercolor and ink illustrations that occasionally break frame keep ...more
Beverly
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-beginners
comic book style beginning reader
Michele Knott
This early graphic novel format chapter book is a silly story featuring the characters of Brain (character with super big feet, body, and a large brain for hair) and Chick (character that is... well, a chick). Chick is a super polite character who expects all the characters to be super polite as well, nagging them until they are all super frustrated. Brain, who readers will expect to be super smart, doesn't come off that way except Brain is the only character who can infer danger. Another good ...more
Katelyn Patterson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
After listening to a podcast about how being polite is a tool of white suppremecy, this one hit a little too hard on the nose for me. However, it is hilarious and a great beginning graphic novel.
Karen Kline
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young
This book! Among other things the book addresses the hip, meme-ish trend of giving information and saying, “You’re welcome,” without anyone actually saying thank you. This early reader divided into four illustrated chapters is an irreverent look at manners. Brain is a big-footed guy wearing boxer shorts with hearts and he wants his buddy Chick to smell his foot. Chick is full of knowledge about manners. Chick refuses until Brain --who *looks* very smart with his gray matter exposed on top of his ...more
Pam Jones-Nill
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super silly and fun humor in graphic novel format for early readers. The importance of general manners is the main theme and readers will enjoy the repetition as they read about a smelly foot! Readers will be pulling their shoes and socks off to replicate the actions of Chick and Brain. Hold your nose!
Bethe
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a hoot - lesson on manners and the “magic words” goes awry. Be sure to read the back cover, learning to read with Dick and Jane vs Chick and Brain - which, if you read it fast enough it sounds like chicken brain which makes me giggle!
Madelyn
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful, funny and weird in absolutely the best way. Still smiling, thinking of all of the kids who will learn to read from these books!!!
DaNae
Very silly, but also redemptive.
Daryl
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Giveaway from Candlewick through Goodreads. It is a quirky graphic novel “chapter book” that tells the comedic story of Brain, who doesn’t come off as being that smart and Chick, who is uber polite. I read this to my almost 4 year old who was over the moon thrilled to be reading a chapter book like mommy and daddy. It’s a very unique and creative story with a pure and simple message: be polite and think carefully. It teaches these virtues in way that makes little ones ...more
Mary
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With Abbott and Costello-esque humor, this beginning reader bears little resemblance to Dick and Jane stories of old. Chick and Brain entertain in graphic novel format for four chapters. The cartoonish characters actually have personalities: Brain is confident although not exceptionally smart. Chick is friendly and trusting, but fussy about being polite. And they do end up smelling each other's feet!
Approximate reading level: H
Recommended for enjoyment especially by grades 1-2.
Kifflie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An early reader, told in four short chapters, about Chick and Brain (rhymes with Dick and Jane). I found some of the repetitive jokes a bit tiring, but kids may appreciate them more. Chick is hung up on etiquette, while Brain tends to go with his gut. It's Chick that ends up in a bit of a scrape with Spot the dog, and Brain has to come to the rescue.
Mel
Dec 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways, reviews
Wow this one was just weird. Didn't amuse me at all as an adult, repeats way too much (I understand it's to teach children manners but 69 pages of a dog, chicken and human trying to say please and thank you was way too much. I couldn't get kids to sit down to finish this one. Passing on to someone else who maybe will enjoy it. I won this book in a goodreads giveaway thank you.
Laura Hook
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Goodreads for this book giveaway!

This is another silly and funny book that will have your early readers giggling. Another well done story in the graphic format kids can't get enough of.
Hoping it'll be a series that kids can look forward to more Chick and Brain (and Spot) adventures.
Erin
A person with an exposed brain wearing only a pair of heart-print boxers saves his chicken friend's life by making a dog smell his stinky foot. Not the foot that smells good, but the one that's so pungent that the dog passes out.

The chicken is obsessed with polite words. Lots of please and thank you and excuse me.

Weird. Funny. I don't even know.
Ashleigh Rose
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the new comic format and hilarious take on "Dick and Jane" (Get it!? Chick and Brain!) books from Cece Bell! Great for fans of Elephant & Piggie! An early reader with repetition of new words for readers along with reminders to not only be kind and polite, but also to pay attention to your surroundings - no matter whose foot you are smelling!
Juliana Lee
Funny examples of Brain not using the correct manners when speaking and Chick always reminding him and trying to teach him who to speak politely... even when he's telling everyone to spell his foot. Along comes Dog who loves how Chicken's foot smells and invites him home for lunch. Chick is clueless to Dog's intentions, thank goodness Brain arrives to rescue him with his poor manners.
Melissa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Chick has this deal where he has to teach everyone proper manners. While it is a good idea in theory, I kind of wanted the dog to eat him, just so I didn't have to listen to it anymore. I can see how some people would think this book is hillarious though.
Great Books
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20-ages-6-7
In the first in a new early reader series written in comic panel format, Chick and Brain’s friendship is tested by miscommunications and misunderstandings in four fun and silly chapters as they learn to practice good manners.
Reviewer 12
Nicole
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you for this Goodreads Giveaway prize! I read this graphic novel (cartoon-type illustrations) with my kindergarden-age child. He loved the funny pictures and the crazy conversations, i.e. "Smell my foot!". Talks about politeness and saying 'please' and 'thank you', but in a quirky way.
Kirsti
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Lighthearted fun after the serious and autobiographical El Deafo.
Melissa
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Hilarious book about using courtesy words.
Marcie
Kids will like this slapstick humor and easy read. Fun start to a series.
Peter
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really funny, really clever early reader! Fun way to teach basic "please and thank you" as well.
Mollie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 - really silly!
Tatiana
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
What did my family just read??? I'm pretty sure even my 2 year old was scratching her head because this is beneath her level. No thanks.
Barbara
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-free
I thought this book was great. It made me think of Dick and Jane, just funnier! I think this is a great book for a beginner reader

• Saturday
  • Truman
  • Small in the City
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Home in the Woods
  • Just Because
  • Who is the Mystery Reader? (Unlimited Squirrels, #2)
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • I Want a Dog
  • The Scarecrow
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Vroom!
  • Bear Came Along
  • Field Trip to the Moon
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
I'm an author and an illustrator, and sadly not a jazz pianist. I live in an old church in the hills of Virginia with my husband, author Tom Angleberger. I work right next door in a new-ish barn. I've written and illustrated a bunch of books for kids and was lucky enough to get a Geisel Honor for one of 'em. If you want to know more about my hearing loss or my childhood (or both), check out my ...more

Chick and Brain (2 books)
  • Chick and Brain: Egg or Eyeball?