Start by marking “Some Kind of Crazy: An Unforgettable Story of Profound Brokenness and Breathtaking Grace” as Want to Read:

An unforgettable story, in the tradition of Hillbilly Elegy and Educated, that reveals how a careful look at a broken past can open a path to profound healing and a satisfying future.

Terry Wardle grew up in the Appalachian coalfields of southwestern Pennsylvania, part of a hardscrabble family of coal miners whose cast of characters included a hot-tempered grandfather
Published October 8th 2019 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Some Kind of Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Kind of Crazy

Start your review of Some Kind of Crazy: An Unforgettable Story of Profound Brokenness and Breathtaking Grace
Valerity (Val)
All through his writing, his feeling of brokenness does come through, as he relates coming up in his family feeling like he never quite measured up in his father’s eyes. As Terry Wardle finally got invited to join the men and learn how to cut up his first deer, earning the privilege of thereafter going out hunting with all of them, his dad decides to give up hunting at that time. Terry just never felt he fit in, even with his own family. As he grew up and went out into the work world, his ...more
Mary Sandgren
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing testimony of God's redeeming power and love in Terry's life journey. All readers will be blessed! I was honored to preview the book and witness the beautiful healing transformation in a man I now call teacher, mentor, and friend. Thank you, Terry for your courage, vulnerability and depth. This book will changes lives and bring glory to God's Kingdom here on earth!
I can only imagine how delighted God is to have this story published and shared!
eric william joern
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Terry for the honor of reading “Some Kind Of Crazy.” This is a must read account of “some kind of vulnerability”witnessing worst days transform into best days,
“some kind of courage” to expose the pain and shame of living in a dysfunctional world. Mostly, it’s “some kind of beautiful to rejoice with Terry and His family as Jesus slowly healed his wounds and reclaimed a lost identity. What a tremendous privilege to personally experience the fruit of this wounded healer Terry Wardle. “
Aurelia Mast-glick
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Wow!! I'm not really sure what else to say about this book. I want to talk about it, but the concepts are a little hard to explain, so I kind of want to just say, read the book. And yet, I know that not everyone is going to like it, but I just thought it was so good and healing even for me to read. I know that might sound weird, but let me see if I can explain a bit without totally messing up the storyline.

Terry had a tough, tough childhood. Raised by parents who carried a boatload of hurt and
Amy Kinney
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outrageously honest and heartbreakingly raw
Four days ago I prayed for a sign of God's love during a difficult time. Three days ago the sign arrived in the form of a gift of the proof of Terry's new book. Terry Wardle's story is one of deep bravery and outlandish grace. With raw honesty he shares his life; from the harsh wounds of childhood to how he came to declare "No one can define me except Jesus. Not even me." From the smells of diesel, dirt, wounds, and fears of childhood to a lavishly
Maryann
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some kind of Crazy by Terry Wardle started off as a very interesting novel. We are introduced to a man, the author. who is very religious but also suffers from severe anxiety to the point that he is hospitalized. As his journey continues Wardle describes the many challenges that he faces on a daily basis. I would have liked to see a better insight into the people in his family. His children are barely discussed . Their coverage is very scattered. Although they are mentioned there is no ...more
Mrsk Stephen
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
In his biography, Some Kind of Crazy, Terry Wardle relates how he overcame his childhood experiences of growing up in a dysfunctional extended family to find God and become a highly sought after preacher, despite suffering from a variety of mental illnesses. Unfortunately, Wardle's writing style and the book's lack of good editing makes him come across as a narcissistic attention seeker.

Wardle's story would be more compelling if he told it in chronological order, was honest about his
Valerie Rennalls
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have heard many of Terry Wardle's stories before in the Seminars he teaches, usually to illustrate a point in a lecture. I have always appreciated his vulnerability, and it has helped me with my own healing journey.
As I read through Terry's life story told sequentially, the thread of grace runs through. The human needs unmet, the resulting brokenness, the effort to compensate that burns him out, the hope that comes because Jesus is willing to meet him in the ditch, to be with him in the
Kristin Boysen
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a sucker for a good Memoir I really enjoyed this book and the author's story. As a pastor it spoke to many of the pitfalls of the occupation, but also to the many joys. The scripture references and the theology presented was insightful and though provoking. The story involves physical and emotion abuse as well as mental health, so be aware if those are triggers for you. It was a rare look into the life of a pastor who was presented not as perfect. I would recommend this book to those who are ...more
Traci Wilmoth
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading Hillbilly Elegy, Educated, and The Glass Castle,which is why I wanted to read this novel. I will certainly recommend this novel to friends who like similar stories.

I did not, however, enjoy it as much as the other novels, though it was an entertaining and inspiring. The stories are interesting and humorous, in addition to being disturbing, but they come at the reader in such a rapid-fire manner than I feel I cannot appreciate and process one before another one is upon me. The
Greg Dempster
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a safe way to begin the process of understanding the correlation between unprocessed wounds and the distorted perspectives, dysfunctional emotion, and dysfunctional lifestyle choices we all experience. Terry Wardle has been instrumental in the renovation/healing of thousands of lives. Mine is one of them... Read the book and then explore the many conference opportunities that Healing Care Ministries has to offer. https://healingcare.org/

"By examining and understanding the past, we
G. LPC
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful testimony of hard-lived experiences of a man who overcame much by climbing the ladder of success, then lost it all and plummeted to the bottom of a pit where he encountered Jesus. A transformative true story of a man who allowed Jesus to repair every ruptured place in his life. While the larger than life cast of family members certainly makes for "Some Kind of Crazy," I respectfully submit a possible alternate title, "Grace Awakening," as it more aptly captures being transformed from ...more
Heather Escontrias
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terry Wardle's memoir, "Some Kind of Crazy" is an honest look at the wounding and divine healing that has shaped his life. I found much of this book to be oddly relatable as I grew up in Western PA as well, surrounded by the types of colorful characters Terry describes in the book. Terry has a way of being completely honest about the depth of the hurt he has experienced while still believing that God can heal these deep scars. This book reminded me of the power of God to bring good out of the ...more
Elizabeth BRUPBACHER
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Terry Wardle's book, "Some Kind of Crazy," is a book of real inner healing. He shared about his childhood, not feeling that he measured up in his families eyes, where he thought you were to feel safe. Dr Wardle is a man with true and honest feelings and was very honest in this book. He did not hold anything back about his life from being broken to a beloved son of God. I highly recommend anyone to read this book that struggles with growing up in a home that you didn't feel loved.
Allison Meadows
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I appreciated this very honest and personal memoir of Terry Wardle’s journey to emotional and mental health. His ability to be transparent about issues that we all too often glaze over in evangelical circles is refreshing and beneficial. Not all of us have experienced a childhood like Terry’s but so many of us have chosen to ignore deep wounds instead of finding healing for them
Luann Rourke
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so grateful for Terry's ministry. As he shares his story with courageous vulnerability in this book, I am blown away by the hope that is woven in even to the darkest pieces. His words encourage big faith - faith that is anchored is a reality beyond our current situation, and the powerful truth that nothing in creation can separate us from the Love of God revealed in Christ.
Barbara Tsipouras
This autobiography is a very personal book about Terry Wardles youth and his journey to healing and what it means to find one's identity in Christ.
We might not all have a diagnosed mental illness, but we're all broken in one way or the other, and this book can encourage us not to give up and to let Jesus heal us the way he chooses. Sometimes we need to go through darkness to find the light.
Emma Filbrun
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
This was a hard book to read in some ways, because of the level of abuse and trauma that the author endured as a child and young man, but the way God brought him through and healed him was inspiring to read about. I appreciated that he did not get very graphic about the abuse; enough was said to give me the idea, but not too much to make me feel dirty.

Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this more than 5 stars, I would.
Profound! Life changing! Gut wrenching! Challenging. Hopeful.
So much of Terry’s life story resonated with me. What a childhood he had! And yet, I feel so encouraged after reading this book. Can’t wait to look more into Terry Wardle’s ministry.
Denny
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terry's journey toward wholeness is an amazing story of the power of God's grace and love. His journey toward wholeness is told with vulnerability, humor and insight on the healing power of a loving God.
Michelle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! This book is a raw and beautiful story of redemption, reclamation, and the reality that Christ meets us in our deepest wounding.
Wonderful, detailed stories that make you feel like you are right with Terry as his life is happening!
Julynn
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this memoir of Terry Wardle's life. It is so encouraging to hear how God has brought restoration to this man of faith. I love all of his books that I have read but this and Identity Matters are my favorites.....
Rev. Dr.
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Because the author is willing to trust God enough with his life to be vulnerable and really tell his story, others can have hope for their own messy lives.
Cathy Lewis
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I read this book together and we couldn't put it down. I love the idea that no matter what out past crazy families were like our life and future is in God's hands.
Jille
Molly Lewis
Jan 09, 2020

• The Girl Behind the Red Rope
  • Smoke Screen
  • The Birth of Loud: Leo Fender, Les Paul, and the Guitar-Pioneering Rivalry That Shaped Rock 'n' Roll
  • I've Seen the End of You: A Neurosurgeon's Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know
  • Last Man Standing: Tales from Tinseltown
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • 90 Church: Inside America's Notorious First Narcotics Squad
  • Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses: Part Two from What the Dog Saw
  • Someone Could Get Hurt: A Memoir of Twenty-First-Century Parenthood
  • Modern Manhood: Conversations About the Complicated World of Being a Good Man Today
  • No Beast So Fierce: The Terrifying True Story of the Champawat Tiger, the Deadliest Man-Eater in History
  • American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More Dirty Lies that the Government Tells Us
  • My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong
  • The World's Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family
  • They Don't Represent Us: Reclaiming Our Democracy