Start by marking “Child's Play” as Want to Read:
Child's Play

Child's Play

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The lessons our children teach us are the hardest ones. What do we do when our children don't pursue our hopes for them? In this riveting new novel, Danielle Steel explores how families can evolve and grow in unexpected ways.

A senior partner at a prestigious New York law firm, Kate Morgan couldn't be prouder of her three grown children. Tamara,
Published October 8th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Child's Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child's Play

Start your review of Child's Play
Suzy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

In Child’s Play, Danielle Steel tackles some tough subjects that are very common and relevant in today’s world.

It’s difficult to review a DS book - not because they are not enjoyable, but because most people know what to expect when they crack one open. They are always predictable, but that’s one of the things I love about her books. Surprises, yes. However, you know they are coming!

Widowed Kate Morgan has raised three “perfect” children. They are very successful adults, with
Carrie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Danielle Steel is an author that I recently picked back up and began reading again that I first read all the way back as a kid in school. Those that are familiar with her writing know she has a style that is similar from book to book and the same can be said with this new release. As much as I’ve enjoyed returning to her wonderful writing Child’s Play wasn’t a favorite of mine.

In Child’s Play readers are introduced to fifty something Kate Morgan. Kate is the mother of three grown children that s
Tim
Jan 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lots of regurgitated, predictable family issues in this uninspiring story from Ms. Steel. 1 of 10 stars
Natalie M
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
If an upperclass white woman vomited glitter, this would be the novel. Just shy of unicorns and rainbows, this receive two stars for being the most stereotypical read of the year!

The plot is more predictable than a drought in a desert. The characters are banal, boring and narrow-minded. The structure/grammar/vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired. Actually a soap opera would probably have more surprises and greater enjoyment.

Another mainstream author cashing in on their prior reputation.
Indra Nooyi
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the most enjoyable books are the ones that you can escape into, which is why Danielle Steel is one of my favorite authors. Her passion for her work is admirable, demonstrated not only by the incredible volume of novels that she writes but also the dedicated following her work has, earning her 390 consecutive weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. Her books offer everyone something they can relate to – human connection – and are frequently next on my list to read.
Suzanne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating read about motherhood and grown children. I was so into this one because of all the various subplots of the book. Just a wonderful Danielle Steel book.
Sherri Thacker
What can I say? This is my 23rd book I’ve reviewed on Goodreads by Danielle Steel. And since I started reading her books in the 1970’s I know for a fact I’ve read so many more “back in the day”. This book was a fast, easy read. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book. All opinions are my own.
Donna
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, Danielle Steel did not let me down. One of my "pet peeves" is spelling and grammatical errors when reading published books and I am always pleasantly surprised to find that her books are so well written and edited prior to publication.
I found Kate's heartache followed by her love, strength and endurance, when faced with the realization that her children were not perfect and made mistakes or had secrets, to be both heartfelt and inspiring. I am the proud mother of a homosexual son and
Amber
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooksiown
Kate Morgan loves her three grown children and only wants whats best for them. It is only when they decide to do what she doesn't want them to do that turns her life upside-down. Can Kate accept the paths her children have decided to go down and support those decisions? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read and my very first read by Danielle Steel. It was a great read about family, forgiveness and more. If you love stories about families, be sure to check this book out at
Kristina
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Child’s Play by Danielle Steel is a story that parent’s will be able to understand and relate to. Parents have certain expectations for their children. We forget that they must make their own mistakes and follow their own path in life. Kate Morgan always set the bar high for her children and worked to be a good example for them. Kate is in her 50s and a senior partner at a law firm in New York City. After her politician husband passed away in a helicopter crash nineteen years previously, Kate we ...more
Denise
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Child’s Play by Danielle Steel is a fast, entertaining, short read. The author tackles some controversial issues. Every issue is quickly resolved by the last chapter.
Rosanna
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me preface this by saying that I have read every book that Danielle Steel has ever written. Some I've loved, and some, well, I haven't loved. This one is in the second category.

The reason I didn't love this book is that the majority of characters were not people I would like. Kate, our main character, is so judgmental and self-centered. Every time her children come to her to share some sort of news, she makes it about herself and gives them some superficial reason for their news not be accep
Nabila Shaikh
”I gave up all my time and energy to my kids for a lot of years, now it’s kind of nice to be lazy once in a while, and do what I want when I’m not working.”

The blurb of this book really appealed to me and the way it was described I thought a chain of great big stressful events would occur in Kate’s life which she’d learn from and have a big revelation but unfortunately I was fooled.

There were many things wrong with this book that annoyed me to no end so lets cover each one individually.

Anthony
Mandy Williams
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was the first Danielle Steel book I have ever read. I saw it at the library and figured, why not? I just wasn't too impressed by it. The characters were flat and I felt like the story moved along like a journal. Well on this day this happened. On this day this happened. Just over and over. Like someone else wrote in their review - rich people problems. Wow I am super thrilled you all get to travel to exotic locations all over the world but how about some real drama? Plus it annoyed me how m ...more
MicheleReader
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Another easy, breezy enjoyable read. Kate is a widowed, mid 50s attorney with three children who keep her on her toes with lots of relationship and life drama as she tries to keep her “perfect” life and family moving forward. When each child brings changes into their own lives, it shakes up Kate’s. (You have to love Kate’s mother who is the true rock in the family.) Nice to continue to see Kate, a character of “a certain age” portrayed as sexy and vibrant. Thanks to NetGalley and Random House fo ...more
Amanda
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Danielle Steel but so far this was my least favorite book. I really didn’t like the relationship changes and they didn’t seem to care. It really made me not like the characters. I normally love all of her books but this one just missed the mark for me.
January Gray
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always and always will love books by Danielle Steel. She certainly has a standard writing style she uses and I always enjoy her books!
Melissa Lacy
Mar 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I will preface this review by saying I haven't read any of Danielle Steel's other books. This is my first experience with her writing and story-telling style.

*Spoilers ahead*

When I read the summary for Child's Play, I was intrigued - family secrets (almost) always lead to some great narrative twists. However, from the first chapter, I wondered if I actually had the drive to finish the book. This feeling only intensified as I continued reading. I'll address the major issues I had with the plot in
Jeanne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me mad early on, when the Mom felt her children weren't holding strong to the "perfect" lifestyle they were raised to and what Mom thought they were living. When the kids decide to start following their own beliefs, Mom reveals that she and her deceased husband were not so perfect themselves. Once this is revealed, Mom accepts the kids life choices which strengthens the family. I think Danielle Steel really went in a different direction with this story and I appreciated the change ...more
Janilyn Kocher
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate reared three as close to perfect children as any mother could dream. However, in a span of one year all of,their lives would be transformed. All would find love, babies would be born, hearts would be broken and healed. Some of the plot was totally predictable but that doesn't take away from Steel's story. The author has a gift for conjuring vile characters and Claire fulfills that role. Child's Play is a pleasant easy read about accepting family, faults and all. Thanks to NetGalley for the ...more
Neelam Babul
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another touching and heart warming story from Danielle Steel.

Kate raised three close to perfection as any mother could dream and hope for her children. She was a good wife and utterly devoted to her family. She plays the role of a supportive parent even after her husband passes away.

However, in a span of one year all of, their life is completely. She including her children find love, joys of parenthood, broken hearts and ultimately enable them to forge strong bonds amongst themselves.

A good s
Nancy
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable and not one of her better stories.
Victoria Johnson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very basic writing but entertaining plot. Good if you want an easy read but nothing to write home about
Kimberly
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

What I think I liked best is that the man character is older and a self-reliant as well as competent. What she also is, is a single mom of 3 adult “kids” who are dealing with a lot amongst themselves. As the lives of her children start to unfold, and she finds out, she questions everything she thought she knew.

Danielle Steel is one of the best at women’s lit and this is exactly why. As an older mom I really could relate to Kate. Of course, not the trauma
Gina
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Here is a fast, clear your mind, enjoyable read - like watching a movie and perfect for when you are in the middle of a huge, complicated tome like ‘The Magic Mountain’ ⛰.
Janis
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was able to predict about 90% of this book, so it wasn’t too entertaining.
Debby
Jul 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Totally predictable. Hated Claire— spoiled brat is putting it mildly. Corny. Sappy. Snore.
Jennie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in two days and I enjoyed it very much. Kate has three grown children. She likes to say that they are perfect. They all went to good colleges and have wonderful jobs. Her son is engaged to be married to a beautiful, wealthy woman. All at once all three of her children make an announcement that causes Kate to rethink everything she believes in and taught her children. Kate reveals secrets about herself that she never told them. I especially liked Kate's mother. She seemed to ...more
Andrea Corley
I really enjoyed this book! Danielle Steel has such a knack for writing those truly touching stories that gets all of your feel-good senses tingling!

Kate Morgan thought she had the perfect children, until she found out differently. All of the children had an overwhelming sense of being perfect for their mother, with the exception of Claire who is just a spoiled brat that starts the backlash of proving that even what appears to be perfect, isn't always! But this book shows that not being perfect
Jade
Aug 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I always try to find more good in the books then bad as this is someone's baby. Something they have worked hard on and who am I to be rude about someone's hard work when I can barley write my own name.
But this book has made me so mad I threw it at the wall.
We follow Kate and her three grown children. They are all bloody perfect and Kate wouldn't have it any other way. Looks, personality, grades and the best jobs, but onces Kate's youngest gets pregnant and doesn't want to get married the shit

• A Walk Along the Beach
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Window on the Bay
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • A Week at the Shore
  • Let It Snow
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Fearless
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Spirit of the Season
  • The Return
  • Hideaway
  • Oh, Christmas Night
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Friendship List
  • The Empty Nesters
  • What Happens in Paradise (Paradise, #2)
  • In an Instant
Danielle Steel has been hailed as one of the world’s bestselling authors, with almost a billion copies of her novels sold. Her many international bestsellers include All That Glitters, Royal, Daddy’s Girls, The Wedding Dress, The Numbers Game, Moral Compass, Spy, and other highly acclaimed novels. She is also the author of His Bright Light, the story of her son Nick Traina’s life and death; A Gift ...more