Start by marking “The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical” as Want to Read:
The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical

The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical

An honest, laugh-out-loud, feel-good novel inspired by the hit Broadway musical The Prom --a New York Times Critic's Pick!

Seventeen-year-old Emma Nolan wants only one thing before she graduates: to dance with her girlfriend at the senior prom. But in her small town of Edgewater, Indiana, that's like asking for the moon.

Alyssa Greene is her hi
Published September 10th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Prom, please sign up.
Emma Saundra Mitchell, the author, started tweeting about writing this book and how she had changed Alyssa from a lesbian to pan. This, understandably, mad…moreSaundra Mitchell, the author, started tweeting about writing this book and how she had changed Alyssa from a lesbian to pan. This, understandably, made fans of The Prom upset and I guess she changed it back! (less)

Start your review of The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical
C.G. Drews
This was an interesting mixture of fluffy and frothy...but with some serious content matter. I received the paperback for review so I didn't actually know it was a Broadway musical adaption. Once I realised that, the style made sense. It's extremely "telling" instead of showing, fast-paced, and doesn't delve very deep. Basically it's like Queer Eye x Broadway, where a gay teen just wants to go to prom with her girlfriend but the town is outraged and some failed Broadway stars come "fix" everythi ...more
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
I really enjoyed this book! At first I thought it was a bit shallow because of all the prom thing, but when you go past that, this book really puts out a lot of issues like homophobia, how parents can be cruel to their children when they reveal themselves as not straight, religious fanatism and how dangerous and hurting can closed-minded people be.

Before going into details, I must say that I had no previous knowledge about the Broadway Musical this book is based on, so I cannot compare them.

Th
Julia Sapphire
I was provided an ARC of this novel by Penguin Teen, all thoughts are honest and my own.

Firstly, I wanted to say that I adored this musical and already was invested in Emma and Alyssa's relationship. I also thought it was interesting how lines from the musical were directly put into this novel. The writing was quirky and had that senses of humor to it. There were a few lines that were very awkward to me or just frankly poor sentences. Some of the slang used also got on my nerves such as "OG".
Jess
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
My review of The Prom is up on my blog now!

Jessica | Booked J
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) Blog | Twitter | Instagram

My stop on the official blog tour can be found here and features a photo journal of the novel as well as a few mood boards. Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review and/or participation in the blog tour. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Before you all ask me: yes, the finished copy fixes the issue from the ARC where Alyssa Greene's sexuality
Alexander Johnson
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
honestly i’m furious over the removal of Alyssa’s canon lesbianism. you can’t erase her core identity and characterization without wiping out her entire character arc. And to remove Angie and Trent? Trent is the reason the kids begin to have a change of heart. Angie helps Emma find the self confidence she didn’t have before. Removing them removes central parts of the story. It gives the story less depth and heart. It ruins a lot of the continuity. and to act like any of this is okay is absolutel ...more
Olivia
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
lesbian erasure is NOT GOOD. not only does it hurt so many fans of this show but generations to come.
Emma L.
*** This review potentially contains both spoilers for the book and the musical. It's also quite a harsh, brutal review ***

Rating: 🌟🌟 (2/5 stars).

Uhm... BITCH WHAT? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS EXISTED? ONE OF MY FAVORITE MUSICALS BEING ONCE AGAIN TURNED INTO A NOVEL? FUCK YES. CALL ME THE FUCK IN and I definitely just didn't order this (lol I totally did and when it arrives I'm going to read it as soon as possible). And then all my hopes and dreams got killed, destroyed, slaughtered by reading this
Maddie Davis
For those considering spending your money on this book. I wouldn’t. The prom is based off a musical that is currently on broadway. In the musical Alyssa Greene is. Canon lesbian however the author of the book adaptation took it into her own hands to erase her sexuality which the author refuses to answer our questions about it and continues to ignore us. which is incredibly offensive to lesbians. Lesbians are being left out of lgbtq+events and are given little to representation so having the prom ...more
Valentina Boré
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Prom is my favorite musical, but I absolutely refuse to read this book. Alyssa Greene is a lesbian in the musical, something which the author has acknowledged, and yet her sexuality was changed for the book. Taking away lesbian representation for pansexual people isn’t a good way to give pansexual people representation. And Alyssa Greene is a lesbian, which is a huge part of her story in the musical. Changing that is a disservice to her character and her arc. Please do not support this book.
Mehsi
Two girls who want to go to prom together in a backwater town find trouble and chaos. Sadly, there were also things that were just unbelievable which lessened my liking for the book.

I just love books like this. We don't have prom here, so I am always looking for books that are about it. And this one was even higher on my OMG list when I found out it was about two sweet girls who wanted to go to the prom together. And the difficulties that followed.

Because this town doesn't like LGBT people. This
Fei
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, ya
tldr; the musical is better, the writing is eeeh inconsistent, save your money and get the audible free trial for a happy lesbian love story with good good narrators, or just read some fanfic

i really wanted to love this book, and i only loved bits of it. the prom musical has been my obsession for the past few months and so i was eager (and trepidatious because, novelisation) to read this.
as an adaption, i have only a few complaints. the plot was handled fairly well - as an overly hammy broadway
John Amory
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq-ya-lit
I really wanted to like this, mostly because so many people are negatively reviewing it without having read it (for "erasing" a character's sexuality, which is not at all the case), but it's kind of a mess.

First of all, as an adaptation of the musical The Prom, this is a failure. The musical tells dual stories of the teen girls at the center of the prom controversy and the Broadway actors seeking positive press coverage by protesting the prom controversy. Most of the latter plotline is completel
Laura Wilson
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
The final release of this book corrected the ARCs horrific handling of Alyssa's sexuality, however it does not save the abysmal writing, nor does it correct how Saundra Mitchell butchered the plot of a fantastic musical. She clearly does not understand the characters or the show. If you want The Prom, listen to the soundtrack. Don't waste your time with this book. If you absolutely must read it, at least listen to the audiobook, where you can hear the cast try their best to save the material.
Cor
May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
to not only erase a character’s sexuality but to then ignore the actual real life community affected by it ... i can’t imagine being able to enjoy or support this book in any way, shape, or form; you have completely destroyed alyssa’s character.
Kali Cole
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
In terms of the book itself, I really enjoyed this. I have not heard the musical yet, but I learned the Alyssa should actually be a lesbian and not pansexual, which she is in this book versus the musical. Taking that huge misrepresentation away, I felt that Emma’s story is definitely one that relates to many lgbtqia+ people that are surrounded by religious individuals. I can’t even imagine the abuse that some of these people face in those parts of the world and it is so unfair because that commu ...more
Hannah
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

I love this musical but the book fell a bit flat for me. It should have been longer and a bit more in depth. I did love that all the chapters were named after musical songs (my musical theatre loving heart was very happy)
Lennon
Jun 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
i’m very disappointed in saundra mitchell for writing this story and penguin random house for allowing this lesbophobic book to be published. in addition to erasing a canon lesbian’s sexuality (the author changed alyssa greene’s sexuality from lesbian to pansexual), saundra mitchell has been active on social media websites, despite numerous accounts making posts describing the terribleness of this book and tagging her in them. please don’t support this book. don’t request ARCs or buy it when it ...more
Ana P
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
you want me to like this when theres lesbian erasure? i dont know why theres still things like this happening, this is so disappointing
Charlotte
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to preface this by addressing the other reviews. I pre-ordered this book, never read more about it, and didn't know it changed Alyssa from a lesbian to a pansexual. I didn't realize that until I logged on here to mark the book as 'read'. It seems that was fixed, as Alyssa calls herself a lesbian quite explicitly in the book I read. I'm glad. Pansexuals deserve representation. Asexuals deserve representation. Bisexuals deserve representation. Every damn person in the acronym does.
But you
Jenny
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warning: homophobia, transphobia, bullying

4.5 ⭐️
(NOTE: having not seen the musical, I wasn't aware that Alyssa is canonically a lesbian. I would like to mention that changing a character sexuality is not cool, even though pansexual people are generally less represented - and more frequently erased - than lesbians. I knocked off half a star on my rating for this reason.)

OMG THIS WAS SO CUTE! I legit felt b
Erin Cataldi
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Admittedly I have never seen the musical or listened to the soundtrack so I went into this blind. I was NOT disappointed! Emma is the only out teenager at her high school. It's tough being the only openly gay kid in a small Indiana town. She isn't exactly the most accepted kid, even her parents kicked her out. Her girlfriend, the super popular class president, Alyssa, is still in the closet, as her mother is the head of the PTA. All they want to do is go to prom together and dance, but that's ab ...more
Grace
This was fine. I liked it mostly because I love the show, but it lacked the same magic and most of the depth of the characters. I understand why certain changes were made, like cutting characters, but I think things like Barry and Dee Dee’s characterizations ultimately suffered by having to be combination characters rather than just themselves. I ultimately wanted more from this than I got, but Emma and Alyssa are my dear children and I did enjoy spending some time with them again.

Also it was ve
Bridget Mutton
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of these reviews mention differences from the musical as major negatives. As someone who hasn’t seen the show I found this didn’t at all affect my enjoyment of the book. Whilst I do understand the furor over the changing of Alyssa’s sexuality, again as someone mostly new to the story it didn’t affect my enjoyment, especially as the story still had a f/f relationship at its heart. Much like movies can be quite different from the books being adapted, I’d recommend reading and judging on its ...more
Shell
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Alyssa is a canonical lesbian in the musical, and changing her sexuality in the book *is* lesbian erasure. Don’t read it.
Hannah
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
alyssa greene is a lesbian. end of story.
August
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
lesbian erasure isn’t fucking cool. alyssa is not pansexual, she is a lesbian. awful.
Carli
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and Viking Books for the advance copy of this book. It is out on 9/10. All opinions are my own.

I really struggled with rating this one. I have lots of students who ask for adaptations of musicals, and I was excited to see this one, especially since it is written by an Indiana author. Then I saw the Goodreads reviews slamming it for erasing a character’s sexuality and was like, “Whoa.” So I read it. Having not seen the musical, I enjoyed it as a story about coming out in I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Falling in Love Montage
  • Love, Creekwood (Simonverse, #3.5)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Stay Gold
  • Music from Another World
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • The Henna Wars
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Something Like Gravity
Saundra Mitchell is the author of SHADOWED SUMMER, THE VESPERTINE, THE SPRINGSWEET, THE ELEMENTALS and MISTWALKER. In non-fiction, she’s the author of the THEY DID WHAT!? series for middle grade readers. She’s also the editor of the YA anthology DEFY THE DARK. IN 2018, HarlequinTEEN will publish her next anthology, ALL OUT.

Writing as Jessa Holbrook, she published her first romantic contemporary YA