Start by marking “The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical” as Want to Read:

The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical

An honest, laugh-out-loud, feel-good novel inspired by the hit Broadway musical The Prom --a New York Times Critic's Pick!

Seventeen-year-old Emma Nolan wants only one thing before she graduates: to dance with her girlfriend at the senior prom. But in her small town of Edgewater, Indiana, that's like asking for the moon.

Alyssa Greene is her high school's "it" girl:
Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Prom by Saundra Mitchell
    Release date: Sep 10, 2019
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of THE PROM by Saundra Mitchell.

(No PO boxes please)

The honest, laugh-out-loud, feel-good novel inspired by the

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 913 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 06 - Jul 01, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Prom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prom

Julia Sapphire
    Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I was provided an ARC of this novel by Penguin Teen, all thoughts are honest and my own.

Firstly, I wanted to say that I adored this musical and already was invested in Emma and Alyssa's relationship. I also thought it was interesting how lines from the musical were directly put into this novel. The writing was quirky and had that senses of humor to it. There were a few lines that were very awkward to me or just frankly poor sentences. Some of the slang used also got on my nerves such as "OG".
    Jess
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    My review of The Prom is up on my blog now!

Drew
    May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
    alyssa greene is canonically a lesbian. you can’t just change her sexuality cause you felt like it, saundra mitchell. alyssa is a lesbian end of sentence.
    Ivy
    Apr 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: coming-soon-19
    I'm nervous to see how this novel turns out since I had mixed feelings about the Dear Evan Hansen novelization. If it wasn't Saundra Mitchell behind the wheel, I'd say it felt like a money-grab, but hopefully, the sweet story of the musical will stay true in prose form.
    Alex
    May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    honestly i’m furious over the removal of Alyssa’s canon lesbianism. you can’t erase her core identity and characterization without wiping out her entire character arc. And to remove Angie and Trent? Trent is the reason the kids begin to have a change of heart. Angie helps Emma find the self confidence she didn’t have before. Removing them removes central parts of the story. It gives the story less depth and heart. It ruins a lot of the continuity. and to act like any of this is okay is absolutel ...more
    Mimi
    May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
    erasing alyssa’s sexuality and then also cutting out two important characters? it is so disrespectful to the lesbian community to turn alyssa greene pan.
    Cor
    May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
    to not only erase a character’s sexuality but to then ignore the actual real life community affected by it ... i can’t imagine being able to enjoy or support this book in any way, shape, or form; you have completely destroyed alyssa’s character.
    Olivia
    May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
    lesbian erasure is NOT GOOD. not only does it hurt so many fans of this show but generations to come.
    Olivia Grace
    so i wasn’t happy with alyssa’s sexuality being changed to pan but i was still going to read it and just get it from the library so i didn’t have to pay for it, but now there’s no angie or trent????
    Maddie Davis
    For those considering spending your money on this book. I wouldn’t. The prom is based off a musical that is currently on broadway. In the musical Alyssa Greene is. Canon lesbian however the author of the book adaptation took it into her own hands to erase her sexuality which the author refuses to answer our questions about it and continues to ignore us. which is incredibly offensive to lesbians. Lesbians are being left out of lgbtq+events and are given little to representation so having the prom ...more
    Valentina Boré
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
    The Prom is my favorite musical, but I absolutely refuse to read this book. Alyssa Greene is a lesbian in the musical, something which the author has acknowledged, and yet her sexuality was changed for the book. Taking away lesbian representation for pansexual people isn’t a good way to give pansexual people representation. And Alyssa Greene is a lesbian, which is a huge part of her story in the musical. Changing that is a disservice to her character and her arc. Please do not support this book.
    Jenn
    May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, own
    I received a digital ARC of this title for an honest review.

Emma only wants to dance with her girlfriend at prom. The problem is that her girlfriend is the super popular head of student council and no one knows that they're together. But the bigger problem is that everyone in their town, excepting like two people, are giant assholes and don't want a "gay prom.". 🙄

This was a fun story. I've never heard of it as a musical, but I can see how it would work well that way. Honestly, while I liked it,
    Cody Roecker
    May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Absolutely adorable.
    Melanie (bookswritinghappiness)
    04-23-19 | I’M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!
    Lennon
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
    i’m very disappointed in saundra mitchell for writing this story and penguin random house for allowing this lesbophobic book to be published. in addition to erasing a canon lesbian’s sexuality (the author changed alyssa greene’s sexuality from lesbian to pansexual), saundra mitchell has been active on social media websites, despite numerous accounts making posts describing the terribleness of this book and tagging her in them. please don’t support this book. don’t request ARCs or buy it when it ...more
    Emily
    Jun 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019-sept
    Apparently a character who is canonically a lesbian in the original musical is written to be pansexual instead in this version. I'm not familiar with the musical, but lesbian erasure is not cool.

I don't think this will keep me from giving this book a shot, but other readers may want to take heed.
    Namrata Telugu
    Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
    guys, a Broadway musical was enough for me. need this.
    Bree
    Eri
    Apr 15, 2019
    Rach
    Apr 15, 2019
    Saundra Mitchell is the author of SHADOWED SUMMER, THE VESPERTINE, THE SPRINGSWEET, THE ELEMENTALS and MISTWALKER. In non-fiction, she’s the author of the THEY DID WHAT!? series for middle grade readers. She’s also the editor of the YA anthology DEFY THE DARK. IN 2018, HarlequinTEEN will publish her next anthology, ALL OUT.

Writing as Jessa Holbrook, she published her first romantic contemporary YA