Start by marking “Can U Save the Day?” as Want to Read:
Can U Save the Day?

Can U Save the Day?

B is an awfully boastful bloke and when he and the rest of the alphabet get together, he can't help but tease the vowels about their small numbers. So the vowels begin to take off, one by one. The consonants--and the rest of the farm--see just how important vowels really are. With disaster looming and B seeing the error of his ways, can U save the day and set the alphabet ...more
Published August 15th 2019 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about Can U Save the Day?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can U Save the Day?

Vivian Kirkfield
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbara
Although I didn't like the ending and U's antics and found some of the rhyming lines contrived, I was totally amused by the notion of the vowels becoming offended by the boastfulness of the consonants, in particular, B, and deciding to walk away from it all. Readers will get a kick out of what happens once there are no vowels when various creatures try to make sounds. It was amusing to watch first A, then E, I and O take off in a huff. When a runaway tractor threatens to cause harm and there see ...more
Kirsti Call
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The letter B stuck out his tongue and bragged, 'Our group is #1'!"
Offended, A said, 'You'll regret when all the vowels are done, I bet."

CAN U SAVE THE SAY, by Shannon Stocker and Tom Disbury is a clever alphabet book where the vowels get disgruntled and leave, causing chaos with all of the animal sounds.

"So E took off. Things went awry, and all the horse could say was 'Nigh!" the birs sang 'twt' instead of tweet, and the sheep just 'blt' instead of bleat."

Super fun read aloud and great teaching
Danielle Dufayet
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I mean wow, a terrific book! At first I had no idea what this book was about -boy, was I in for a treat. My brain's still unraveling from this fun and witty story about the alphabet, more specifically a war between vowels and consonants.
Can U Save the Day is one of those picture books that will be begged to be read over and over again. Ultimately, I love the message: we all need each other to make things work! Brilliant!
Amy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, childrens-lit
This book is fun to read to kids and will appeal to fans of The Day the Crayons Quit. It's the kind you look forward to reading over and over because of how it enchants kids with all the funny sounds the animals start making once the vowels leave. I especially liked the enjoyable rhyme, delightful illustrations, witty lyrics, dramatic conflict and happy resolution (all with an ordinary U turned hero!). So glad I have this one in my picture book collection.
Julie Abery
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this hilarious alphabet story by Shannon Stocker! Written in rhyme, it is such a clever way to teach children about consonants and vowels and even sounds! Themes of respect, friendship and family are all rolled into this picture book. The art by Tom Disbury perfectly complements this wild romp around farmyard. Great classroom book, with a wonderful song by Shannon to accompany it.
Sophia Gholz
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a fun book to read out loud! Both you and your children will enjoy the playful rhyme and the silly sounds the animals make as the vowels leave one by one. Author Shannon Stocker has masterfully packed this alphabet adventure full of laughs and excitement. This book is clever, fun, full of heart, and offers great teaching opportunities for early readers. CAN U SAVE THE DAY is a fantastic addition to any classroom or home library.
Mirka Hokkanen
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who said learning can't be fun! Loved this book so much. It was funny and witty and smaller kids will love to make all the animal sounds with you. It was a bit wordy in a few spots, which didn't bother me much, because otherwise its packed with action and funny scenes when the vowels decide to disappear and horses try to "ngh", and cows "mmm". Definite read for homeschoolers or prepping kids for learning their vowels and consonants for school.
Tina Shepardson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If ever there was a picture book to teach children about the relationship between vowels and consonants, it is this one. Shannon, through her deliberate and delightful rhyme and rhythm shares the relationship of our letters in a humorous way. In addition, her creative word play teaches us about acceptance of one another, and how our differences can unite, not divide us. A beautiful and timely message for our society today.
Jolene Gutiérrez
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When bullying B insults A and all other vowels, the vowels leave, one by one. All except U, and when a runaway tractor endangers the remaining consonants, can U save the day? This book has it all: humor, rhyming, a chance to discuss bullying and respect, and educational opportunities around consonants and vowels. Lots of fun for U and your young readers!
B.J. Lee
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious and clever alphabetical romp! The action is thick and fast as the consonants pick a fight with the vowels and one by one they all leave. But chaos endues when dogs can only “BRK“ and pigs can only “ONK“. When disaster strikes, will U be able to save the day? With playful pictures, There is an opportunity for learning here as well as fun. Recommended for home, schools and libraries.
Henry Herz
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shannon Stocker's CAN U SAVE THE DAY? is a fun, rhyming exploration of the importance of both types of letters in building words. Competition between anthropomorphic vowels and consonants leads to misunderstanding and separation. But with wise U's help, the letters reunite and the animals can speak normally again. Great illustrations add to the rollicking romp through the alphabet.
Sherry
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed with fun for those youngsters learning the alphabet and sounds. It has rhyme and farm animals in funny scenarios. Kids will love making the silly sounds. There’s also a lesson in kindness and inclusion. This book has so much going on that each reading will help children discover something new! This would be a great addition to classrooms K-2.
Alissa
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, elementary
Such a fun book to read out loud with your kids! My son loves the funny sounds that we make when the vowels decide to leave the consonants behind. The rhymes in the book are excellent and make it very easy for a read-a-loud. I also love the story, which teaches kids to work together and respect one another. This is a winner all around!
Cassandra Federman
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evelyn Bookless
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, rhyming farmyard romp that is a hoot to read aloud. Kids will be having so much fun making unusual animals sounds to notice they are learning all about vowels and consonants. Highly recommended for homes and schools.
Ashley Congdon
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed with rhyme, humor, farm animals, silly sounds, kindness, appreciation, vowels, consonants, etc. You’ll have fun reading this one over and over. My 5-year-old son enjoyed it as well.
Teresa
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A funny, rhyming romp, author Shannon Stocker shows kids (and barnyard animals) just how important vowels are to the alphabet. Tom Disbury’s whimsical illustrations enhance the hilarity. This book is sure to elicit giggles on every page and is perfect for kids learning how to read.
Gayle Krause
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a fun way to learn the vowels and consonants that make up words of the English language. A clever idea to help young students understand the importance of each and every letter. Stocker's rhyming story is light and lively. Recommended for classrooms. Can be used in a variety of lessons.
Heather Macht
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so adorable and fun! The author does a wonderful job with wordplay and the illustrations are adorable! This will be a perfect book for young readers who are learning the importance of letter sounds and combinations. 5 stars!
Rosie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cute, funny, and clever read-aloud just begs for re-reads! Kids will be so entertained, they won't even realize they're practicing their letters. The rhymes are fun and engaging and the art is kid-relatable and funny. Loved it!! This one's a winner for both the home library and a classroom.
Shelley Kinder
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cleverly written book about the importance of vowels and with such a fun story line. I know kids will have tons of fun saying all of the animal sounds in this book (sounds with missing vowels). Highly recommend this book!
Jason Woods
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, rhyming read! When consonants decide to pick on vowels, things go awry in unexpected (and entertaining) fashion. A great book for children learning the alphabet that emphasizes the importance of every member of a group.
Laura Lavoie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a clever story! Kids will learn about consonants, vowels, and spelling in the adorable farm setting. The rhyme is easy to read aloud and the twist ending is super fun.
Lauren Kerstein
I absolutely loved this clever, educational, and fun book! This is a must-read for all and a perfect addition to any classroom! I highly recommend this wonderfully funny book!
Lynne Marie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun and clever book with animal sounds and vowel sounds for little ones!
Peacegal
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Every letter is important, we learn, when the alphabet starts losing letters. This book reminded me of a classic Sesame Street segment.
Virginia E
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for kids learning their alphabet as well as big kids (and adults) who just love a fun read. Shannon Stocker has hit a hm rn (home run) with this one.
Tammy Turner Breehl
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my 6 year old she loved it.
Laura Roettiger
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story of vowels vs consonants. This perfectly rhymed book appears to be about letters and farm animals on the surface. Just below that level is the ‘real story’ about working together, how we are all better when we celebrate our differences. This one is a winner and will be a classroom favorite!