Start by marking “What They Deserve” as Want to Read:
What They Deserve

What They Deserve

SEATTLE, WA: 2053.

Summer Wilkins, the official spokesperson for the Reformed United States, is still grieving the loss of her son when a shocking murder rocks the city. After her husband is implicated, she's drawn into a rebellion that's ready to do anything to find out the truth behind the new "Inevix patches" being distributed to the public. Murder, mystery, and politic
Published February 8th 2019 by Kyanite Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about What They Deserve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What They Deserve

Start your review of What They Deserve
Paul Blake
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. A very interesting and well done future sci-fi novella. There were areas that I felt that the story could use more exposition to bring more detail to the story and the world, but that's a personal choice. The author definitely made the world believable without it, anyway.
D.M. Shepard
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
While I am on a writing binder at the moment, I do occasionally take a break and treat myself to a new novel or novella from a writer I stalk…uh…I mean—follow on Twitter. This month I decided to snag Sam Hendricks What They Deserve.

This is a dystopian novella set in a post WW III Seattle. In her story, Seattle has seceded from the Reformed United States and is under the control of a dictator. According to what they have been told, everyone must wear a special patch, the I
Crystal Kirkham
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of being able to read an ARC of this engaging story and finished it quicker than I thought I would.

This story starts off reading as a straightforward cyberpunk style story. As it progresses, the author masterfully weaves a more convoluted tale of secrets and betrayal. The story builds, occasionally throwing the reader hints that there is more under the surface than what we are reading. It leaves the reader questioning what the real story is and who is on the what side.

The a
Aisha Tritle
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged enough to receive an ARC from the publisher. Sam Hendricks creates a fascinating world for this action-packed story! I definitely think this would make a great movie...and the ending to chapter 1? No spoilers, but WOW - pushed me to the edge of my seat. Really loved the dynamic between the protagonist and her sister. Looking forward to reading more from Sam!
J.L. Peridot
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book ticked a lot of boxes for me in just the first few pages—suspense, questionable technology, compelling language, situations near boiling point, and with a protagonist narrator who was not only relatable and likeable but, most importantly IMHO, fallible. "What They Deserve" is an action-packed genre bender that tells a human story first and foremost, with hints of political thriller and strong cyberpunk overtones, keeping me guessing right up until the end. I'd recommend this accessible ...more
Willie Handler
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure. I received an Advanced Reader Copy from the publisher but this is an independent and fair review of this novella. This is an action-packed story that keeps moving at a rapid pace. It's a science fiction story, but would also appeal to dystopian fans.

The story takes place in post-World War III Seattle. I don't want to give anything away because this story has many twists and turns. The story revolves around Summer Wilkins who struggles to save her family from an evil regime. Dec
B.A. Ellison

What They Deserve has a interesting concept and is set in a compelling world in the not too distant future, but I think it's brusque length hampers its immersion and potential. Readers are introduced to a world in the wake of WW3, where the USA is rebuilding from war and is now part of the Reunited UN, and an isolationist regime has taken over the city of Seattle and declared independence. There's a wall, and a net that seal off the state by land, air, and water, and all of its citizens
Sam
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the great opportunity of reading an arc copy of What They Deserve.

What They Deserve is a fast-paced, entertaining read that is a great way to spend a snowy day. The main character, Summer, is an actress and spokesmen of the government while her husband in an engineer who is more than he seems. After a horrific murder, Summer and her husband are pulled into a high-stake game where the people they love most can’t be trusted and their greatest foes may be their only allies.

The story, while pr
Eric Lahti
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sam Hendricks has taken a worrisome technology scenario, shook it up a little, and added a hefty dose of mystery and crafted something uniquely terrifying not because of monsters or the existential threat of nuclear annihilation, but because of the extremely close proximity to our own world. A world where tech can provide a sense of security, much like a wall that keeps the bad guys out and controls the sanctity of the Reformed United States.

It’s control that’s the key to the story. Walls can be
chris
This book reminded me a little of the movies "i, Robot" and "Minority Report".
The first task of any story is to hook the reader to the character/s. The second task is to take that character on a journey and beat-the-tar outta them in order to keep the reader engaged. Third task is for the character to evolve during that journey.
Unfortunately for me, I wasn't hooked to any of the characters, which had the resulting effect of not being that interested in their journey.
I've read a few fantasy books
ryen Lesli
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
What They Deserve by Sam Hendricks was one crazy fucking ride. Sam creates a vivid world that could easily become reality in our foreseeable future. When even WW3 doesn't stop the deep corruption of our government.

My only annoyance with What They Deserve was that it was a teeny, tiny novella when the characters and story deserved a full-blown novel. Hell, this could easily become a series. I finished it in one setting because I HAD to know how it ended, it was that fast.

My hope is that Sam Hen
Chad Christy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hendricks has crafted a bombastic story of conspiracy and betrayal. What begins as a whiplash start doesn’t slow down until the very last page. More than just a commentary on our increasingly threatened privacy (self-imposed as it is), What They Deserve gives us a moment to contemplate how various media (social, traditional, etc.) influence how we react to news of horrific events, and how they impact our judgments.

Take a deep breath before you begin, because you won’t get another before you’re d
Anthony Redden
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing is what it seems

Sam has skilfully created a world of intrigue and deceit that keeps the reader hooked and thoroughly entertained. What They Deserve offers up a shadowy and dark sci-fi world where you can trust nobody, not even yourself. Amazing!
Michael Nadeau
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fast paced sci/fi thriller has me devouring the pages to know more. Sam has built a world that is both real and frightening and you just want to delve in and learn more about it. My only problem with this book is the length. It’s over so quick that you’re left wanting... panting like an out of breath lover. If you like sci/fi then you’ll enjoy this little piece!!
Jody
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

Great story line, characters, and presentation of a dystopian future balancing politics and the fallibility of power.
Please read soon!
Sep 04, 2019
D.W. Hitz
Mar 07, 2020

• Another Dead Intern
  • River (The Beginning of the End #1)
  • Night Life
  • Urban Gothic
  • Covenant of Blood (The Thayria Cycle Book 1)
  • Forgotten Storm (Storm, #1)
  • The Pyre Starter (The Last to Die, #1)
  • Strangers in the Night (The Hunter and the Spider, #1)
  • Cut Back to Life
  • Drug Gang (Drug Gang, #1)
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
  • Warriors of Understone
  • Night Shift (Night Trilogy #1)
  • Everblade
  • Parting the Veil: A Beyond the Veil Novel
  • Becoming Insane
  • This Never Happened
  • Dead Boat (The Dead Trilogy Book 1)

News & Interviews