Start by marking “Someplace to Call Home” as Want to Read:
Someplace to Call Home

Someplace to Call Home

In 1933, what's left of the Turner family--twelve-year-old Hallie and her two brothers--finds itself driving the back roads of rural America. The children have been swept up into a new migratory way of life. America is facing two devastating crises: the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Hundreds of thousands of people in cities across the country have lost jobs. In rural ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published August 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Someplace to Call Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someplace to Call Home

Start your review of Someplace to Call Home
Barb Martin
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Sandra Dallas offers up another book extolling the hardships of life during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Although this one is written for children, it includes many of the touches familiar to Dallas' readers, including plenty of quilts.

Hallie and her brothers, Tom and Benny, are left to fend for themselves after their father leaves their Oklahoma home to find work, their mother and sister die, and the bank forecloses on the property. They start toward California but stall when their
Joni
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three children, Tom 17, Hallie 12, and Benny 6, are on their way to California after losing their parents and being dusted out in Oklahoma. They breakdown in a Kansas town and find good people who give them a helping hand.

This book is definitely geared for tweens, but it was a good heartwarming read. The children struggle against town bullies and are judged as squatters but there are funny moments and really great lessons for young people to glean from the story.
CHM
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Described as a feel good book and she was correct. Just the break I was needing.
Stampinmama Davis
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I loved the book- I love any Sandra a Dallas book - this one especially since my mother grew up during the depression and dust bowl era.
Margie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book for middle schoolers but I think it's a quick and sweet read for anyone. Set during the depression, it is the story of three children, ages sixteen and under, that need to leave their home and travel, looking for work. Faced with people of the different towns not wanting any strangers who can take what little work from the locals, life is extremely difficult. Follow their story once they settle in a place, or at least, hope to.
Ms. Yingling
Public library copy

Hallie, Tom, and Benny Turner have left Oklahoma after the desertion of their father and the death of their sister and mother, and find themselves in Kansas with a broken down car. They are approached by Swede Carlson, who owns the land where they have stopped, and bargain with him to do work on his farm in exchange for being allowed to camp on his land. The Carlsons are doing surprisingly well in 1933, and have a soft spot for the children because their daughter Tessie has
Lily
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geared toward middle school age, it was written simply yet poignantly and uplifting at the same time. I'm not sure that stories for that age people have to be so simply written, but I suppose it is better safe than sorry. I did think it was very kind of Sandra to include a glossary at the end of the book of some of the "antiquated" terminology she used in the tale, although it was amusing to me to think that kids these days would not know what words like "migrant" mean; some of the words have ...more
Grandma Jake
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As an adult I call this a "fairy tale book"--"once upon a time"...."and they lived happily ever after". Sometimes as an adult I need that kind of book and young people need to believe (for now anyway) that no matter how tough it gets, everything will get better with a little help from our family and friends. For middle level readers I highly recommend this book. It gives a look at what life was like during the dust bowl in Oklahoma and Kansas. Some readers may think a sixteen year old and a ...more
CR
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting title to read and I really liked that it had a glossary at the back of the story. I think this one would work great for a class setting that way we could read about the story and then talk about it. I liked the characters and the pacing of the story. I story rounded up really well and didn't leave anything hanging. I think that I will check out more books by this author soon.

Go Into This One Knowing: Great for classrooms
Janilyn Kocher
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love. Anything Sandra Dallas writes is top notch. I enjoyed reading this middle grade novel although I am far older than that. It's a heartwarming story about three orphans who settle in a small Kansas town because their car broke down. They make some good friends and although life is still a struggle, they prevail. I love the message of the main characters: integrity, perseverance, and independent. These are traits that used to be valued, but are somewhat scarce today.
Florence Primrose
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twelve-year old Hallie and her brother, Tom, sixteen, left Oklahoma when the dust storms came. Their parents are gone and they have a six-year-old special brother, Benny. When their car quit they camped by a stream. As they move from place to place they are treated with suspicion and called squatters as they work for food.

Will they find a place to call home?
Sue
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
YA novel that deals with many moral issues is a positive way showing the best and worst of human behavior towards others in a world full of troubles and pain. Would recommend for middle school and older.
Leslie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, juvenile, teen
My library cataloged this as adult fiction, so I didn't realize it was actually intended for younger readers. It felt a little like reading an older version of The Boxcar Children. It was a pleasant respite from the usual grim Depression/Dust Bowl fiction.
Pam
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great story...for anyone but especially young people. It’s a story of hope and the good in people.
Pat Morris
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors....an amazing historical novel focused on the families fleeing the Oklahoma Dust Bowl and the Depression. A great story of survivor and resiliency.
Maryann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really liked the portrayal of people coming together to give each other hope.
Becky
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice short story....115 pages....restores faith in humankind!
Judy would like
Lee Ann would not! Lol
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Yvonne
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dallas tells a sweet and touching story of three orphaned children forced into a 1930's migratory life as a result of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl experience.
Mary
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nicely written story with a happy ending. A gentle and satisfying read for kiddos who like historical fiction.
Jean Cable
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great young adult read
Linda
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This middle-grade novel is one that would be good to read with your children or grandchildren as it's full of important messages. It reminded me a bit of the Little House stories. Dallas has always been a favorite of mine and this Depression-era story about acceptance is very relevant today.
Ryan
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Tender Land
  • The Glovemaker
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • A Slip of a Girl
  • My Jasper June
  • Akin
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • What Rose Forgot
  • More to the Story
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Roll with It
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • The Last Train to London
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • Olive, Again
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff