Start by marking “Snow Globe Wishes” as Want to Read:
Snow Globe Wishes

Snow Globe Wishes

2019 Top 20 Goodreads Choice Awards As the worst snow storm of the year rolls in, one family hunkers down together in a cozy blanket fort for the night. A little girl makes a wish on a snow globe and, in the morning, the sun rises on a winter wonderland--beckoning all outside. And what if, on this snow-filled day, families shake their busy lives and everyone goes out to pl ...more
Published September 15th 2019 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about Snow Globe Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Globe Wishes

Start your review of Snow Globe Wishes
Calista
Many of the books I had on order from the library finally came in and this one was a winter snow book. I have to say that the July heat hasn't been too bad thus far, but I still have a difficult time in the heat, so it's nice to have a book about snow to mentally cool me off.

This is a beginning book told as a poem about the joys of everyone getting out and playing in the snow. It's lovely. I missed not having snow this winter, so I love reading about it.

A great little poem.
David Schaafsma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #16 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was just okay. The title and soft colors set the tone.

Hank (13): 1.

Harry (14): 2.5. There were some big words that they tried to rhyme with! Nice drawings. A perfect snow globe family town.

Tara: 2. Art work was nice. The attempt at rhyming in the story not so much.

Dave: 2. I like the soft dreamy watercolor art quite a bit. The title keys you into the mushy/d
Rod Brown
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 7 to go!

A multiracial family bonds when a winter storm causes a power outage, and that is nice if a bit of a snooze, but then inexplicably their whole community joins hands around a Christmas tree, and all I can do is start singing, "Fah who foraze! Dah who doraze!" while wondering if Dr. Seuss shouldn't be getting a cover credit. Or possibly St. Elsewhere, I think, when I turn the next page.
La Coccinelle
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Snow Globe Wishes is okay, but it didn't really capture my imagination.

I think part of the problem I had is that the colour palette used in the illustrations leaves the whole book looking muted. Where's the magic? Where's the sparkle? I'm seeing those words in the text, but I'm not seeing them in the pictures.

Basically, there's a big storm and the power goes out. One family hunkers down and eats Chinese takeout and builds a blanket fort. The little girl makes a wish on her snow globe. In the mor
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Beautiful illustrations, a little short on plot?
A bi-racial family enjoys cozy-ing up together during the first big snowstorm of the year. The end with the entire neighborhood clasping hands and singing just felt a little "Grinch Who Stole Christmas-y" and didn't work for me. The rhyming text leaves a lot to be desired - the rhythm doesn't seem to fit the calmness of the illustrations.

But, the illustrations are amazing! Not a good group read aloud, but this one would make a nice one-on-one read together, discussing the illustrations and enjo
Tracy
2019 Goodreads Choice Awards Picture Book Nominee

There's something very cozy about being snowed in.

Other than the super cozy topic of being snowed in, this is a regular book. I don't think my little kids would've loved it, because it's rhyming story, and we preferred narrative stories for read-alouds. I'm sure we would've commented on the cozy indoor tent.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When the biggest snowstorm of the year hits, one little girl is glad that there is no electricity, because it means that everyone will slow down and enjoy the snow. Her family eats dinner by candlelight, and snuggles together in front of the fire. They make a blanket fort, and sleep all together in one big mattress. The little girl makes a wish on a snowglobe, wishing for peace on earth. In the morning, all their neighbors come out to play in the snow and they join hands around a Christmas tree. ...more
Ellon
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because it was nominated for the Goodreads choice award for best picture book.

The first part of this book really reminded me of Blackout.

What I liked:
-The mixed family (white dad and black mom)
-theme of peace
-the really cute pets
-lyrical writing (mostly)

What I didn't really like:
-When all the people joined their hands at the end, it really gave me a How the Grinch Stole Christmas! vibe that I didn't think really belonged in here
-the illustration style isn't my favori
Amy Layton
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
With the current state of the world where we're so divorced from each other and are so busy, it shouldn't surprise me that so much of children's literature is focusing on entire families, blocks, communities coming together.  But every time a book focuses on such an idea at its core, I'm always so pleased and surprised.  When one young girl makes the wish for everyone to come together in the midst of a snow day, the following morning she gets her wish and families call out from work, kids stay h ...more
KDV
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the sweetest book. I like the way it celebrates winter's slow-down.
I can't wait for winter and our first snowstorm!
KC
For one girl, a snowstorm is a delight.
Khai
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet, with gorgeous illustrations. I love the love for and beautiful representation of winter.
Evan
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this one.
Barbara
Snowstorms and unexpected weather can be inconvenient, but for one small girl, the blizzard offers a chance for her family to spend time together, especially when the electricity goes out. I enjoyed how no one seemed grumpy or too annoyed by the inconvenience; instead, they seemed to make the best of the situation, even sleeping together in a tent fort made from blankets and sheets. When the little girl makes a wish on a snow globe, her dream comes true. Not only does her family decide to ventur ...more
Margie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is said keeping a bit of seasonal cheer visible all year long brings you good luck. For many years a tiny Christmas tree covered in miniature ornaments with a tiny train running around the bottom has held a position of honor on my desk. Next year it will be joined by another item.

Some people collect these items to commemorate a visit or an event. Our family collects them to celebrate Christmas. A few are my mother's; a few are mine. As if bound by an invisible chord memories are attached to e
Maddie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
On a winter day a snow storm cuts off the power a family takes the opportunity to spend time together, and in turn involves their community in it as well.

I love the imagery of this book and the diversity of the characters in the book. The idea of the story is a good one, but I wasn't a fan of the lyrical element of the story itself for this particular book. The lyrical text was well written and charming, I just didn't feel it for this book.
Sheri
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A quiet story like the sound of the streets after a snowstorm. Everyone hurries home during the biggest storm of the year all bundled up. They eat dinner by candle or firelight, make blanket forts, sleep together and wake to the new-fallen snow. A story of winter and enjoying the togetherness amid the snow.
Raven Black
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations, but the story was a bit sugary sweet for me. With that said, for the right reader this story about family, wishes and the magic of being together will be the perfect book to curl up and read with their little one(s).
Stacie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The Whos shown in Whoville meet Peter from The Snowy Day with a message to parents to follow Ferris’s advice to slow down cause life moves pretty fast - did I catch the main inspirations in the cutest drawn but too grownup-ly written story about the many benefits of taking a snow day.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The end made me think of The Grinch who stole Christmas, and not necessarily in a good way. ...more
Athornton
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the kid lit workshop I’m taking, I get to explore books like these! This is a beautiful story. Totally represents what wintertime in the northeast is like! I figure it’ll be perfect to show my niece and nephew who live in the south and will not see snow!
Elisabeth
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made feel all warm and fuzzy and maybe dreading wintertime a little less.
Tracie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a big snow!
Stefanie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable cozy winter read. A good alternative to typical holiday fare... only mention is general "peace."
Caroline
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, childrens, rep-poc
A snowy day draws the whole neighborhood outside and they spend quality time playing and having fun together. Gentle and soft, short and sweet.
Tara Schaafsma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The artwork was nice. But as I stand pretty firm on--No rhyming in kids books. It rarely works well.
Brittany
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful.
Gabrielle Palmisano
This books illustrations look like they’re made of clay then somehow animated digitally. The inside theme to this book is to live life day by day and to not let things that don’t matter consume your life. I needed to read this book because as a college student and working two part time jobs i never have time to just relax. The main character wishes upon a snow globe as the worst snow storm is coming to town. The next morning the storm is not there and the sun is out. She wondered if the adults a ...more
Krysta
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A gentle, rhyming picture book celebrating the magic of a snow day. The ending feels a bit tacked on, though, giving a message about peace and kindness. I think the implied message of connecting with others during a blackout or snowstorm is strong enough without having to trumpet a moral at the end that doesn't seem quite in keeping with everything that came before. The illustrations are lovely.

• Just Because
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Unicorn Day
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • Sulwe
  • How to Read a Book
  • Hair Love
  • Saturday
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • The Shortest Day
  • Birdsong
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Because
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
I write in many genres, from board books to YA. I am thrilled to announce TWO more picture books coming SOON:

DEAR EARTH...From Your Friends in Room 5 (Illus. by Luisa Uribe / Harper Collins) Dec. 1, 2020. #ClimateAction

PETER EASTER FROG (Illus. by G. Brian Karas /Caitlyn Dlouhy books/ Atheneum/S&S) January 2021

SNOWGLOBE WISHES (Illus. by Claire Shorrock / Sleeping Bear Press) 2019 got a shiny K

News & Interviews